New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Scrap? SCRAP!? These are my BEST FRIENDS! [3.5, Base Class, PEACH]

Something mentions Archetypical Body. Where is that?

Other than that, it looks pretty decent overall, though I'd have to see the children in action to see where it sits.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Alright, I read through the golems they had, and I don't really like them that much; the only one that really has any pizzazz was the paper golem.

So I guess I'll have to go about making "refined" golems.

Alternatively, I had an idea, back when I was brainstorming for the class, that I would eventually add a feature to Fusion some Miniature Golems; so you'd get an Iron Ashling, or something, which would naturally be more powerful.

But, unless someone wants to look into that, that will wait until after I get more archetypes up.
    Really? The paper golem? I prefer the Tin Golem over that one.

I actually had an idea for a stickling/flowerling/stoneling combination with an earth elemental sibling bloodline to make a sort of "earthchild" so the fusion idea is my favorite ATM, as long as they grow bigger with each add-on. Plus strengthening the traits of specific features (the goodberry feature of the stickling for example). Maybe being able to either "refine" or "fuse" the children to give some variety.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixote View Post
    Something mentions Archetypical Body. Where is that?

Other than that, it looks pretty decent overall, though I'd have to see the children in action to see where it sits.
    Archetypal Body is something that I have yet to add to each archetype; I've gotten sick with bronchitis, so I kinda went to bed before changing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, here are the "Templates" for each type of Mini-Golem; both for refining and for Fusioning golems.

Here is the table for fusions:
    {table=head]|{colsp=4}Ability Scores|Granted Special Ability
    Golem|Str|Dex|Wis|Cha|
    Ashling|-2|+2|+0|+0|Windwalk, Messenger
    Boneling|+0|+0|+0|-2|
    Flowerling|-2|+0|+2|+4|Pacifying Pollen
    Gemling|+0|+0|+0|+0|DR 3/Magic
    Inkling|-4|+2|+4|+0|Paper Sword
    Ironling|+4|-2|+0|+0|DR 5/Magic, -5' Move Speed
    Mudling|+2|+0|+4|+0|Earth Glide
    Skinling|-2|+2|+0|+0|Spell-Like Abilities
    Stickling|+0|+0|+2|+0|Shortspear
    Stitchling|+0|+2|+0|+0|Fly 10'
    Stoneling|+2|+0|+0|+0|DR 2/Magic
    Yarnling|-4|+4|+4|+0|Tread Softly[/table]

All of the above abilities are as taken from the respective golems, and are in addition to adding the exceptions to Resistance to Magic from each Golem type included.
    I need to finalize and edit in some more rules, but it should all be good soon enough.

Realize, though, that this is getting in the way of posting more Archetypes...
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #35

Hm, i think being able to pick abilities for the golems (and having the option of mixing the abilities into a stronger one). Personally i'd use the goodberry from the stickling over the shortspears, use it on a flowerling that looks like an elf or half-elf and add in a mudling for the movement ability and the stoneling for a little bit more power. Once it got to medium i'd essentially make it look as realistic as possible and have it masquerade as a druid/shaman
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2012-01-11 at 09:12 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright... I'm gonna be working on Archetypes first, though, so if you would like to come up with a proposal, I'll credit you.

7. - Top - End - #37

Alright... I'm gonna be working on Archetypes first, though, so if you would like to come up with a proposal, I'll credit you.
    I can do that. Give me a bit and i can come up with something that you may like
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks; that's a load off my mind.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

This looks great. Really. Not sure what more to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #40

Thanks; that's a load off my mind.
    I'm going to phrase it as a class feature: Fuse/Refine Child
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Okay, i got a rough class feature that could be used. I will add the tables shortly and the effects of refinement. Or you can do that if you'd like, but i'll be working on it anyway since i want to try making my own version.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Fuse/Refine Child (Ex): Every three levels, a salvager can give up his ability to make one child to instead empower another child in one of two way; fusing or refining. The salvager may choose which one is used each time this ability could be gained and the salvager does not have to use this ability.

Fuse Child: Fusing a child is when you add in another miniature golem of a different type. The resulting amalgamation has all the traits of all miniature golems in the mix and increases the overall strength of the child. The child gains all of the special attacks and special qualities of the chosen miniature golem, which do not overlap. Additionally, the child gains a boost to certain ability scores based on the miniature golem fused into the child. The child also gains one additional Hit Die. Each time this ability is gained a new miniature golem can be added to the same child or a miniature golem can be added to a different child. If a fused child is refined, only one miniature golem's abilities are refined, not all of them.

Refine Child: Refining a child is when you strengthen its abilities, fortify its body, and replace inferior materials with higher quality ones. The effects of refining a child is based on the miniature golem it is based on. Alternatively, the salvager can choose to grant the child the 1st level class features (not including Saves, HD, BAB, or Skill Points) of a class of the salvager's choice (other than salvager), the salvager can apply this option to the child again to either gain the class features of one level higher in the chosen class or gain the first level class features of another class. Either way, the child gains one additional Hit Die. Each time this ability is gained the salvager can further refine a child or refine a different child.

A child with two fusions/refinements applied to it grows to small size. A child with four fusions/refinements applied to it grows to medium size. A child with six fusions/refinements applied to it grows to large size. This applies the standard bonuses and penalties for increasing size except the child's Dex score is not changed.

If a child with either of these applied to is is destroyed, those options are gained back and the salvager can construct another child with a different combination of their choice.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Let me know what you think, it was something i just came up with in an hour so it's not the best i can do, but it's good and should work for your purposes.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm...

I like it, though I would like some ideas on how to Refine a given Child's abilities.

And by the way... two new Archetypes are up, and Archetypical Body is explained!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm. Does a refined child gain a Construct hit die, or the hit die for whatever class he takes? That needs to be specified. I think creating specific refined abilities for each mini-golem will take a while, since they're all so unique, but will definitely be worth it.

Question: what happens to Children if the Salvager dies?

This class is becoming more flexible by the day. I like the two new Archetypes a lot, and the Archetype Body adds some good flavor to the Children.

Also, you don't actually state in Junkheap just how much of the heap is spent when making something, just that you only have to pay 1/3 the market price to make the item. How much is each junk point worth? If I make a longsword, is that 1 point? 5 points? All my points?

Keep up the good work, it's coming along great.

14. - Top - End - #44

Hmm...

I like it, though I would like some ideas on how to Refine a given Child's abilities.

And by the way... two new Archetypes are up, and Archetypical Body is explained!
    Okay, i can give an example to start

Refining, say, a stickling would increase it's Dex and Wis by 2, increase its natural armor by one, allow it to create more shortspears for free, increase the damage healed by it's goodberry to 1d4+1, and increase the number of berries produced to one every hour up to 8 stored at one time with a berry remaining potent for one hour after being picked.

As another example, refining a flowerling would increase its Dex by 2 and Cha by 4, increase the effect of its pheromone by increasing the DC by 2 and make it usable more often and last longer, allow it to spend two uses of the pheromone to use Charm Person instead of calm emotions, and give it a rose's spines to make its attacks lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    Hmm. Does a refined child gain a Construct hit die, or the hit die for whatever class he takes? That needs to be specified. I think creating specific refined abilities for each mini-golem will take a while, since they're all so unique, but will definitely be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    Refine Child: Refining a child is when you strengthen its abilities, fortify its body, and replace inferior materials with higher quality ones. The effects of refining a child is based on the miniature golem it is based on. Alternatively, the salvager can choose to grant the child the 1st level class features (not including Saves, HD, BAB, or Skill Points) of a class of the salvager's choice (other than salvager), the salvager can apply this option to the child again to either gain the class features of one level higher in the chosen class or gain the first level class features of another class. Either way, the child gains one additional Hit Die. Each time this ability is gained the salvager can further refine a child or refine a different child.[/INDENT]
    It's a construct HD, i believe i clarified that when i said they do not gain the HD, Saves, BAB, and skill points of the class chosen.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2012-01-12 at 12:54 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

In my opinion, Children linger on for a little after their creator dies, until their animating principle decays to the point where they kick the bucket.

And the Junkheap points are equal to 1 Gold piece each. I'll edit that in Tomorrow (for now... SLEEP!)

And I like the refinements, but... I'm thinking the bonuses to ability scores are too much; as it is now, you should have about 27 as the maximum for a given ability score; with the addition of Refinement, you can have ability scores well into the 30s, which I think should be avoided.

I'm thinking that you only get the bonus to ability scores for the ones that you Fuse, and that refinement should remove weaknesses more than just give big numbers...

I'll dream on it.

16. - Top - End - #46

And I like the refinements, but... I'm thinking the bonuses to ability scores are too much; as it is now, you should have about 27 as the maximum for a given ability score; with the addition of Refinement, you can have ability scores well into the 30s, which I think should be avoided.

I'm thinking that you only get the bonus to ability scores for the ones that you Fuse, and that refinement should remove weaknesses more than just give big numbers...
    I was thinking it'd be the opposite, the refinements give the bonuses while the fusing would be able to shore up weaknesses, it makes more sense that refining would make them better at their strengths but only slightly shore up weaknesses while fusing would be able to shore up weaknesses and add to strengths to a degree with the right combination.

In my opinion, Children linger on for a little after their creator dies, until their animating principle decays to the point where they kick the bucket.
    For some reason this doesn't seem right, i think that the children should live on after the salvager dies, maybe seek to revive him if he is killed, or to go about his own works if he dies before it's done.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Archetypes

On Archetypical Body:

if a given modification says, "as Standard", then they gain all the racial features of a given LA +0 Race with 1 Racial HD except for their Size, their Type, and their Speed.
    What do you mean by "a given" race? No races are listed under the entries.

18. - Top - End - #48

Default Re: Archetypes

Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixote View Post
    On Archetypical Body:

What do you mean by "a given" race? No races are listed under the entries.
    A "given race" is a term meaning racial features for a selected race
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

...huh, odd. I'm used to things telling you to select a ____ when they're going to reference an undefined like that, but I guess it makes sense.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

How would you suggest rewording that to make it clearer?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Added the Bestial, Leftover Soul, and Photosynthetic Archetypes

The Leftover Soul archetype, in particular, was created because Bonelings are weak, otherwise, and this turns them into mini-Undead that have sexy spawn-creating abilities.

Not to be undone, Sticklings and Flowerlings can take the Photosynthetic archetype, to become more and more plantlike.

Any comments?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

And one for Limit Dragoons.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay i made it within the six week period.

Love the class. I love anything that incorporates the craft skill. I am not sure if this is done, I hope not because I am going crazy for any updates and prcs.

Great Job Amechra. you weren't kidding when you say you have a surplus of ideas. Can't think of anything you've homebrewed that I haven't liked.

If you are still looking for ideas I'd be happy to pitch some.

I think a Zshar Salvager is quite a scary thing due to its bonuses to craft(alchemy) checks through [racial] feats.
    Last edited by Merchant; 2012-01-30 at 09:43 AM. Reason: hoping for gestalting new prcs.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    I think a Zshar Salvager is quite a scary thing due to its bonuses to craft(alchemy) checks through [racial] feats.
    Well, with a zshar plug-in i'll have to point out that the race he's referencing is in my sig.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Yay i made it within the six week period.

Love the class. I love anything that incorporates the craft skill. I am not sure if this is done, I hope not because I am going crazy for any updates and prcs.

Great Job Amechra. you weren't kidding when you say you have a surplus of ideas. Can't think of anything you've homebrewed that I haven't liked.

If you are still looking for ideas I'd be happy to pitch some.

Why thanks for that endorsement; I'm glad to know that someone cares for what I do.

And I agree, it would be scary; alchemical items would be DEATH in your hands!

And I kinda have to make some more archetypes; still on a bit of a break from this class, though.

EDIT: So, what suggestions do you have? I'm willing to accept ideas.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2012-01-30 at 04:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

How would you suggest rewording that to make it clearer?
    I would go with saying that they get "all the racial features (except for size, type, and speed) associated with one race of level adjustment +0, chosen during the child's creation."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Question about the Leftover Soul archetype for Bonelings: Why not just give them a Corpsecrafter trait from Ultimate Corpsecrafting instead of an augment from the Ashen Necromancer list?
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Question about the Leftover Soul archetype for Bonelings: Why not just give them a Corpsecrafter trait from Ultimate Corpsecrafting instead of an augment from the Ashen Necromancer list?
    The Ashen Necromancer augments are essentially a more refined version of the Corpsecrafter traits; I kinda felt like a random free +6 to an ability score, or similar, would be kinda excessive.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, Ive finally done something about the Children.

Namely, you now have a choice of whether you want a lovely, strong Child, or a bunch of weaker ones, or somewhere in between. If anyone has any suggestions for a Crafter's Choice ability, I'm all ears.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you so much for adding to this. I was going to go searching for this class today but you made it so much easier.

As to the Crafter's choice I can't think of anything at the moment. But looking at the children so often here made me think of either an addional class feature or maybe a Prc.

I was thinking of 'Games' Maybe special maneuvers that your children can 'play'. They can differ between the larger child or the many children. My only thought at the moment is-

Tag: The next thought was electricity and how it arcs. I thought it would be funny if someon hits one of your children and as it arcs from one to the next getting closer to you they can change the 'it' or designate a different target and send it back at the caster.

Or Piggyback. Big child or many children gain a bonus to grapple checks and jump and cling onto foes. Hindering speed, increasing the weight on them. Maybe they get a free grapple check when struck.(Funny thought of someone hitting them with a sword and then they end up being stuck to it. Adding weight to the sword or throwing off the attack roll or damage roll.)

Can't think of any other 'Games' and how they would work at the moment, but it could be a fun idea.

Also if you decide to choose between many or to specialize in 1 or 2 children, then perhaps make them a requirement for two distinct PrCs.