Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

No readied actions here. Though Gabriel did move at least 40 feet so from the NE tower to the NW so skirmish and expeditious dodge should be active.
    Anybody else want to negotiate?
    Korben Dallas

Gabriel Strazza - Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm pretty sure I had announced already, but just to make sure, because I did not update the map yet: the tower guard is down, of course.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ouch! Well, Aria took 19 damage (DR 1/-) and is attacked right at the beginning of her move, right? So she has almost her entire move and her standard action left and can either do it just as planned...
    ... or something else entirely.

*crosses fingers for Aria*

4. - Top - End - #94

Damage: Yes. As always, I do not apply DR (or Energy Resistance and other defenses) unless I specifically state it.

The reason being that your characters' defenses change during the course of the battle, and you are more likely to have the correct adjustments for your character in mind than I am.

Oh, and Tashalar: Though shalt not read other peoples' spoilers :)

Aria's turn: Yes, that was what I meant with my above post.
    Last edited by Malachei; 2012-02-15 at 01:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

RaggedAngel: Please remember to include an up-to-date stat-block in your posts. Saves me time... ->Thank you.

@All: You can do Spot checks, of course.
    Last edited by Malachei; 2012-02-16 at 03:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

spot check: (1d20)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Check on the Spot: (1d20+15)[22]

Also a question for Aria (& sort of Mal) -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does your utterance also prevent teleportation? Or would this question be too much metagaming?
    Last edited by Carr0t; 2012-02-16 at 09:03 AM.
    Korben Dallas

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carr0t View Post
    Also a question for Aria (& sort of Mal) -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does your utterance also prevent teleportation? Or would this question be too much metagaming?
    It's the opposite of Freedom of Movement, so maybe? Here's the exact wording:

Quote Originally Posted by Tome of Magic pg. 240
    A black tangle of wriggling force-tendrils roots your target in place, rendering it unable to move. It can take actions normally; it just can't move from the space it currently occupies.
    The last sentence sounds pretty definite, and I tried to convey that in my fluff; for the next two rounds it cannot exit its current space, period.
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Mead spot check: (1d20+12)[19]
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

10. - Top - End - #100

The rules are ambiguous on this. The text uses the term 'move'. It does not specify spells, SLA and Su abilities.

As it is the reverse of, effectively, freedom of movement, what this helps against can serve as a guideline:

Does being grappled, held in place, paralyzed prevent teleportation? No, unless you can't activate your spell / SLA.

As this is a first-level utterance, my interpretation is that its power should be limited to all modes of physical movement (possibly including physical movement that is assisted by spells, such as magical flight, but not etherealness or astral travel).
    Last edited by Malachei; 2012-02-16 at 01:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

Ladorak, Carr0t, Toliudar: The Spot checks are too low, sorry.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As this is a first-level utterance, my interpretation is that its power should be limited to all modes of physical movement (possibly including physical movement that is assisted by spells, such as magical flight, but not etherealness or astral travel).
    Yep, I agree that it shouldn't block the more powerful forms of movement like those Mal addressed. Otherwise it would be too powerful for a 1st level utterance. BUT. It still is a really, really awesome move.

I wonder what that shadow drow type did just now. In any case, not going to bother with a spot check for Makul. How did everyone figure out it was a drow, btw? I was pretty surprised when someone mentioned it OOC.

Oh, and Tashalar: Though shalt not read other peoples' spoilers :)
    Argh, yeah, sorry. I do that pretty regularly, actually - mostly without thinking much about it. In some instances it's much cooler not to know what info others get but mostly I've seen the spoilers as a way of differentiating what some characters know and others not. What the players know is something else entirely (and everyone needs to take care not to metagame by accident).
    ... plothook has a neat solution for that - you can use spoilers so that no one but those who it is meant for can read the text or whispers with the same function (only that others can see that something was whispered and to whom).
    ... anyways, will try hard to refrain from looking into spoilers. But in case it's something really important/special, consider sending a PM instead in those cases.
    Last edited by Tashalar; 2012-02-18 at 06:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Two things.
    1. The stairs are on the outside of the toower.
    2. Doesn't a crusader restart the whole manuver granting proces every time there is no manuver to be granted? Meaning every time you have been granted all readied manuvers on the next turn all granted manuvers get reset and you again get granted 3 (or 4) random manuvers.
    Korben Dallas

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar
    I do that pretty regularly, actually - mostly without thinking much about it.
    You shouldn't. Take a guess: Why do I write character names to head the spoilers? Reading other people's spoilers is a little bit like actively listening to overhear a private conversation taking place on a nearby table in a restaurant. A spoiler is meant privately for the person mentioned in the title. It could address actual secrets of their characters, for instance. It is not only potentially bad for them, but potentially bad for you, as well: Knowing stuff your character would not know makes it harder not to metagame, and in general ruins surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar
    But in case it's something really important/special, consider sending a PM instead in those cases
    Are you saying you're not to be trusted? ;)

On the other topics:

- No idea how they came up with a drow. Perhaps the picture on the map?
    - Yes, Carr0t is right, Crusaders always start the maneuver-granting process anew once they've been granted all maneuvers from the pool.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Are you saying you're not to be trusted? ;)
    I'm just being open and honest about this.
    It can happen that I click a spoiler without even thinking about it. So if there are 'real' secrets to be spoiled and you want to make 100% sure that no one gets a look at them who should not, you could put them in a PM. My guess is that those are probably rare occasions anyways.

I'm always trying hard not to metagame, btw. Even without reading any spoilers we players often know a lot more of what is going on than our characters. So that's a constant challenge.

... anyways, will try hard to refrain from looking into spoilers.
    That's all I can offer. But it's an honest offer.

1. The stairs are on the outside of the toower.
    Does that refer to anything in my post? The stairs are too small for him (they are only 5' wide and it would cost him two squares of movement only for squeezing.

- Yes, Carr0t is right, Crusaders always start the maneuver-granting process anew once they've been granted all maneuvers from the pool.
    Unless I overlooked something, Makul just now got all his maneuvers this round. So he'll start rolling again next round. Will check just now.
    Edit: Yep, he rolled last round. This round he has all maneuvers. Next round he starts rolling for three readied maneuvers again.
    Last edited by Tashalar; 2012-02-18 at 08:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rita Spot: (1d20+1)[20]

Riven Spot: (1d20+21)[38]

17. - Top - End - #107

Both fail to spot anybody.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar View Post
    How did everyone figure out it was a drow, btw? I was pretty surprised when someone mentioned it OOC.
    It has two scimitars.
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

19. - Top - End - #109

BlueWizardGirl

If Xalyth is the same character who killed one of the goliaths a couple of rounds ago, I knew she was drow because of the picture. Hair white as snow, skin black as ebony. Edit: What else could she be, besides a Drizzt cosplayer?
    Last edited by Psydon; 2012-02-18 at 11:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110

And our Decanter of Endless Water for the most elegant metagaming goes to... RaggedAngel!

Yes, I'm handing out decanters for this, particularly when it allows me to properly introduce my NPC earlier (and while she's still alive, in contrast to the horned spellcasters around... best use of benign translocation I've seen so far).
    Last edited by Malachei; 2012-02-18 at 11:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

D'uh, two scimitars! Should have noticed that.

Edit: So. Anyone got anything to contribute to the happy drow chase?
    Last edited by Tashalar; 2012-02-18 at 12:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

So you should get the Eyes of Minute Seeing for being nosiest (good you're character is a goliath, not a cat).

EDIT: And I'm really sorry for the disappearing business. But it's really your fault ;): You outperformed the NPCs so heavily they had no alternative than using hit-and-run tactics.

I hope that in the future, we'll have more "regular" fights again.
    Last edited by Malachei; 2012-02-18 at 01:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar View Post
    D'uh, two scimitars! Should have noticed that.

Edit: So. Anyone got anything to contribute to the happy drow chase?
    Blindsense might do the trick.

24. - Top - End - #114

It should. But it is LOE, as is Mindsight.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You outperformed the NPCs so heavily they had no alternative than using hit-and-run tactics.
    Well, that is good, isn't it? At least there's still a little time before Mr. Dragon (or Mrs. Dragoness) returns.

26. - Top - End - #116

Well, yes, on the one hand. One the other hand, it ruined the fight a little. The spellcaster would have been an interesting challenge, giving you a lot of tactical options to deal with. The assassin would have struck, but would have had no reason to hide again, because most of you would have been busier. Thus, more characters would have seen action. On the other hand, there's a chance more characters would be dead now, so you're better off ;)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, the battle with the last two never did get going 'normally'. But targeting the horned one immediately was good, I think - and taking him out quickly even better. If everyone had attacked at the same time, we would have been in really bad shape.

I mean... dragon+horned one+master assassin+troups+hobgoblin leader ...

This way all of us might survive and that's good.

28. - Top - End - #118

BlueWizardGirl

I'm not so sure we would have lasted much longer, had I failed to dispel the darkness field. He could have one-shot Mead and then stayed there nuking us from concealment.

I think we should all gather where the goliaths are. There's strength in numbers and then my bat can hover over us, giving us all a wonderful blanket of blindsense. If we stay in an open space my bat will likely establish LOE before Xalyth can reach us.

29. - Top - End - #119

Right now, I see a hawk on the battlefield, but a bat? I must have missed something.

In general, I agree. But the horned one would have made for an interesting fight with a lot of battlefield control, in combination with the dragon and Xalyth striking. With the power level of your characters, I didn't expect this to be particularly lethal, also because of the added goliath cannon fodder.

While I don't like playing hide and seek with you guys, there's not much else I can do. Xalyth is too smart to go toe-to-toe with you.

On the other hand, it is not really interesting to have you post elaborate about your spot checks and readied actions IC.

Perhaps it would be best if everybody just stated what they will do in OOC, and if that is not making a difference, I'll just time skip to when something happens again?

Unless, of course, there's a bat I've missed.

30. - Top - End - #120

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Malachei View Post
    Right now, I see a hawk on the battlefield, but a bat? I must have missed something.
    You win, Tasha.

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post

Rita (25' off the ground) casts Summon Monster III, summoning a Celestial Dire Bat at K14, 20' off the ground.

Riven ascends 20' (he is now 20' off the ground) and flies to G12, keeping eyes and ears out as he goes.

They also make Spot and Listen checks (already did on the first page of this thread):

Rita Spot: 13
    Rita Listen: 11
    Riven Spot: 30
    Riven Listen: 14
    ^ That was my last IC post (edit: previous round), and then they made those more recent Spot checks that did nothing. I thought it would make more sense if I incorporated the above and my actions for this round into a single IC post (which I still plan to do) since Rita was performing a continuous action (summoning) from one round to the next.

In general, I agree. But the horned one would have made for an interesting fight with a lot of battlefield control, in combination with the dragon and Xalyth striking. With the power level of your characters, I didn't expect this to be particularly lethal, also because of the added goliath cannon fodder.
    Mead was nearly dead after his second spell and given the amount of damage dice his spells had she was simply lucky. As I recall, Nicolas and Jasmine weren't too far from the grave either.

I might be alone in this but I thought the horned one was an interesting fight, if shorter than you preferred. The rounds when he was active felt very tense for me since we were just barely keeping him at bay what with the numerous evasive spells he was packing. Kinda like the classic "disarm the bomb to save the world" scenario: one wrong step and it all goes to hell, so every move you make is filled with terror.

While I don't like playing hide and seek with you guys, there's not much else I can do. Xalyth is too smart to go toe-to-toe with you.
    Well, she's not our only threat. If she won't attack us we can at least use this time to lick our wounds and get ready for the dragon.

Edit: Is Mythweavers functional for anyone?
    Last edited by Psydon; 2012-02-20 at 06:26 AM.