New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Back to Deadlier Dragons: If I turn off the new crafting options, do I also disable those hidous special dragon slayer armors then?
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    And yes Midas has been updated to Skyrim and has a odd way of making the new spells, not sure if they used it in oblivion since I have only ever added one mod to oblivion.
    Well in Oblivion there was this sphere thing you put in some stuff depending on the spell (always including a gold nugget, sometimes was odd stuff like cheese or pottery), cast a spell on it, and got this edible thing that you ate, thus giving you the spell.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Back to Deadlier Dragons: If I turn off the new crafting options, do I also disable those hidous special dragon slayer armors then?
    I believe the corresponding item on the install is the Loot plugin. If you turn it off, the special armors should disappear from the game. I'm not entirely sure. Though the black elven light armor looks pretty awesome IMHO.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Well, it certainly wasn't cosmopolitan in Oblivion, but it's been more than 200 years since the events of that game. Perhaps the cities expanded, or maybe a large portion of what was once wilderness is now farmland.
    It was supposed to already have been cosmopolitan at the time of that game.

It was supposed to already have been cosmopolitan during Morrowind, which if I am recalling the timeline correctly was at least several years before the Oblivion crisis. I don't know about earlier games as I haven't played them or read the racial description of Imperials that goes on about Cyrodiil.

Given the events preceding Skyrim and how pants around the ankles the Empire is presented to be, it's more likely that Cyrodiil is still scarred by the war and currently in the process of rebuilding. Even leaving that aside, generally when an empire is in notable decline like it was after the Septim dynasty ended, they don't do a whole lot of reclaiming the wilderness not 5 miles from the capital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    I believe the corresponding item on the install is the Loot plugin. If you turn it off, the special armors should disappear from the game. I'm not entirely sure. Though the black elven light armor looks pretty awesome IMHO.
    Thank you. I am still on the fence about this though, especially since it doesn't limit random dragons in any way and that means you will get a heck of a lot of quest fails when NPCs in town will die in droves in late game.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

It was supposed to already have been cosmopolitan during Morrowind, which if I am recalling the timeline correctly was at least several years before the Oblivion crisis. I don't know about earlier games as I haven't played them or read the racial description of Imperials that goes on about Cyrodiil.

Given the events preceding Skyrim and how pants around the ankles the Empire is presented to be, it's more likely that Cyrodiil is still scarred by the war and currently in the process of rebuilding. Even leaving that aside, generally when an empire is in notable decline like it was after the Septim dynasty ended, they don't do a whole lot of reclaiming the wilderness not 5 miles from the capital.
    Good point, but they did seem to be on the rise with the Mede dynasty. The Emperor personally led the assault that completely destroyed the Thalmor army, and captured their leader (then hung him from White Gold Tower for 33 days). At the very least, the Medes are capable of leading an Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Good point, but they did seem to be on the rise with the Mede dynasty. The Emperor personally led the assault that completely destroyed the Thalmor army, and captured their leader (then hung him from White Gold Tower for 33 days). At the very least, the Medes are capable of leading an Empire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too bad you just killed the last one of them (unless there was a heir which I'm not aware of).
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too bad you just killed the last one of them (unless there was a heir which I'm not aware of).
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only "last ofs" that I killed were the Dark Brotherhood, for the Captain of the Emperor's guards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The only "last ofs" that I killed were the Dark Brotherhood, for the Captain of the Emperor's guards.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder how Bethesda will handle this in lore since an Emperor being killed or not is not something you can't exactly gloss over and never reveal if it really happened.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-01-31 at 10:41 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    They'lll probably just say Titus Mede died under "mysterious circumstances." That way they settle whether he's alive or not, and leave it open to interpretation. Maybe a Thalmor Death Squad did him in instead of the Dark Brotherhood, or something.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder how Bethesda will handle this in lore since an Emperor being killed or not is not something you can't exactly gloss over and never reveal if it really happened.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Elder Scrolls lore is extremely Meta. Certain enlightened people ARE AWARE that they are "in a God's dream" (aka people in a computer game) and can "go back and change things at will" (meaning they can reload themselves if they fail or want to try something new).
    This is how they explain all continuity errors for example. They are not bugs, they are features. Literary. Somebody "reloaded" and changed history.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The cities were maybe cosmopolitan compared to cities in other provinces, but there was a sense of everything decaying in Oblivion...the Ayleid ruins you could understand, but imperial forts abandoned to rot and bandits really gave the impression of an empire in decline. Maybe that was the point; we were supposed to see the Empire weakening, and in Skyrim it's essentially fallen to Thalmor assault and is only continuing by sufferance.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The Elder Scrolls lore is extremely Meta. Certain enlightened people ARE AWARE that they are "in a God's dream" (aka people in a computer game) and can "go back and change things at will" (meaning they can reload themselves if they fail or want to try something new).
    This is how they explain all continuity errors for example. They are not bugs, they are features. Literary. Somebody "reloaded" and changed history.
    Spoiler
    Show

See: Dragon Breaks (article has some main-quest spoiler in it). Yes, time-breaking shenanigans have occurred multiple times. The biggest one that comes to mind is the Warp in The West - Daggerfall's choice at the end was pretty much who to give the extremely powerful artefact to, and the time-breaking shenanigans meant that the end result for the series' canon was that all of them, good and bad, did.

14. - Top - End - #554

PaladinGuy

Thank you. I am still on the fence about this though, especially since it doesn't limit random dragons in any way and that means you will get a heck of a lot of quest fails when NPCs in town will die in droves in late game.
    I haven't really experienced that...but I've been running into a glitch where random dragons appear to have stopped spawning in my game, so you know...that's fun.

Personally though, that's just part of the game. If I lose a quest NPC because a dragon flew into town and nuked some people, then...that's an unfortunate consequence of life in Skyrim. The idea doesn't really bother me. Perhaps, save Deadly Dragons for a second play through if you're unsure, that way you'll have done the majority of the quests you really want to see.

Shifting gears a bit, does anybody else know why dragons might not be spawning in my games? It could just be that Bethesda nerfed the dragon spawn rate, but I've read around the internet, and apparently I'm not the only person this has happened to.

I play on PC. Help?

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    I haven't really experienced that...but I've been running into a glitch where random dragons appear to have stopped spawning in my game, so you know...that's fun.

Personally though, that's just part of the game. If I lose a quest NPC because a dragon flew into town and nuked some people, then...that's an unfortunate consequence of life in Skyrim. The idea doesn't really bother me. Perhaps, save Deadly Dragons for a second play through if you're unsure, that way you'll have done the majority of the quests you really want to see.

Shifting gears a bit, does anybody else know why dragons might not be spawning in my games? It could just be that Bethesda nerfed the dragon spawn rate, but I've read around the internet, and apparently I'm not the only person this has happened to.

I play on PC. Help?
    Some people say these two are connected. If that is true (that the mod bugs the random dragons that way) then excellent

Anyway I think I will install it tonight.

Also, I found a "cowardly horse" mod yesterday; simply cause the horses to AVOID battle...

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

It might be a problem, except that all the 'quest giver' NPC's are immortal, at least until you've completed their quests. Or they're scheduled to die.

17. - Top - End - #557

PaladinGuy

Some people say these two are connected. If that is true (that the mod bugs the random dragons that way) then excellent
    I've heard that too, but the maker of the mod insists that his mod isn't at fault. If it is DD's fault, then that's disappointing. It's an otherwise great mod. Decent for your purposes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    It might be a problem, except that all the 'quest giver' NPC's are immortal, at least until you've completed their quests. Or they're scheduled to die.
    Nothing about Bethesda's game progression bothers me more than this. Morrowind was great, in part, because you could kill anyone all the time. You had to consider who you killed really carefully. Two of the first mods I downloaded for Skyrim allowed me to kill children and removed essential tags from a ton of NPCs.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-02-01 at 09:24 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Not true. I know that for example Long Arm (the bear pelt lady) can be killed before you finish her quest. It is also possible to kill a lot of people who are not quest givers, but essential for finishing the quest (like say a person you should pickpocket something from, or bribe, etc).

19. - Top - End - #559

Hello there, dear fellow playgrounders!

Since I'm slowly approaching endgame with my travelling Imperial knight/cleric, I thought I'd try something completely different for a while before I finish the game with him.

So I decided to play a female Breton, born into the lesser nobility of High Rock who was sent to skyrim by a council of powerful nobles to aid Ulfric Stormcloak's rebellion against the Empire in order to pave the way for the Breton's own secession. Of course, she has her personal interests in high regard as well.

I thought I would let her sneak up on people and backstab them, since that pretty much seems like courtly standard procedure, but since she is a Breton noble, I'd like her to be a mage as well. I'll focus on enchantment as well, since I sadly found out about the possibilities too late on my knight.

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice which magic schools to focus on, since I'm not too sure myself. I do like most of them, the only one I don't really feel like is alteration, though I suppose it might be very useful if not imperative if I want to get close and personal and backstab some people from time to time, since I'm not planning on using any armour.

Is it a good idea to skip destruction or do I have to rely on it through the first levels of the game? The backstabbing doesn't have to be my prime modus operandi, actually I'd play her as a mage first, backstabber second.

Any advice?
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aberratio ictus View Post
    Any advice?
    Illusion can supplement the backstabby action nicely, and fits the cunning noblewoman angle well. You also kinda need a ranged attack of some sort, if only to deal with Dragons so you probably want to level Destruction. And since you're running about with no armor, Alteration or Restoration. I'd suggest Alteration, but that's because I find Ward spells hella fiddly to use.

In short: Dump Perks into Sneak, Enchantment, Destruction, Alteration and Illusion.

Alchemy is also probably worth it on this sort of character and fits the concept fairly well, I think.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-02-01 at 10:34 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #561

Thanks for the advice!

I have thought about alchemy, and you're right, it would fit the concept quite nicely, but I'm afraid that I'd be spreading the perks too thin, that would be six skills I'd spend perks on.

I suppose I won't have to go the apprentice - master Illusion or apprentice - master destruction paths if I enchant my equipment for 100% reduced magika costs for both schools, and I'll very likely skip Fire/Storm/Frost enchanter if there's not some important benefit I have overlooked.
    In alteration the apprentice - master perks are part of the main pathway, maybe that's part of why I dislike the school. Restoration, however, seems like an even worse choice (and I have been heavily using that on my cleric).

Would it be prudent to only use either the flames, frost or shock path in destruction or will I find myself having to use all of them?

What about Conjuration - not worth it?
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

So has anyone else tried playing the game with the quest compass turned off and no fast travel or horsecart?

Because while at times dull, I have found a lot more interesting things.

For example a gold-mine full of trolls.

Unfortunately my horse died outside winterhold... Which really annoys me. Why don't horses run?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    So has anyone else tried playing the game with the quest compass turned off and no fast travel or horsecart?

Because while at times dull, I have found a lot more interesting things.

For example a gold-mine full of trolls.

Unfortunately my horse died outside winterhold... Which really annoys me. Why don't horses run?
    I'm doing that at the moment. It's fun, even without a horse. Especially for a crafter, I make quite a bit of money from wolf/bear pelts by making them into armour.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone else tried the reactor version of Midas magic? Because I am interested in knowing if I am the only one who has their game shut down after entering the river wood trader.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    Has anyone else tried the reactor version of Midas magic? Because I am interested in knowing if I am the only one who has their game shut down after entering the river wood trader.
    I tried it once, and didn't like it. Basically, the game randomly either crashes or doesn't crash when you enter the areas that have reactors. Save just before going in, and reload if it crashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I tried it once, and didn't like it. Basically, the game randomly either crashes or doesn't crash when you enter the areas that have reactors. Save just before going in, and reload if it crashes.
    I've resigned myself to I shall have to uninstall the reactor version tomorrow and replace it with the vendor version, seeing with how glitchy the reactor version is.
    My extended signature.
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

27. - Top - End - #567

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Ah. I never looked up how its spelled. I just hear "Wus!" whenever I dash. Probably the dash sound is covering up the "ld" part and making it sound like an "s" for me.
    I have subtitles on so when one of the Greybeards (Bori, I think) demonstrated the shout, I saw it as Wuld. That and he used the full shout so there was a delay between the first word and that loud thunderclap most shouts seem to include.

Incidentally - it might've just been the one time I'm thinking of, but doesn't that Greybeard aim his shout so that he's stopped by that stone pillar? I get the feeling that if that pillar wasn't there he'd be taking the short way down the mountain.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

okay... Anyone noticed any issues with 1.4 yet?
    I am about to start my first game post-patch.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you guys notice that all Bretons in Markath (except for the guy in Karthwasten) have war paints even though their old religion were suppressed by Nords?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

okay... Anyone noticed any issues with 1.4 yet?
    I am about to start my first game post-patch.
    I haven't noticed anything, apart from At one point I was level 15 and attacked by a frost dragon.

I died a lot and had to use console commands to get away and hide in a farmhouse, which got me arrested.
    My extended signature.