New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #830 - The Discussion Thread

Man, that was brutal. Awesome but brutal.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

YES! You spoil us with activity these last days, Giant.

That's what I love about the villains of this strip: They're all awesome in their own ways.

And it's great to see that as much as Rich feigns disinterest in small, nitpicky details we still get stuff like the Control Undead ability being cast onscreen and still coming as a surprise in later strips.
    Not if my index finger has anything to say about it. And, as it turned out, it had quite the stirring dissertation prepared on that very subject.

Many thanks to half-halfling for the Spanish Inquisition avatar

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeouch. Redcloak is hardcore.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

So Redcloak isn't as spineless as 662 would have suggested. Chilling!

I wonder: What will his anti-Xykon strategy turn out to be?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, the worst laid plans of mice and necromancers!

Important Safety Tip: When you have two bosses, don't assume the Junior Boss can't grind you into a fine dust...
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Aww, all the best parts happen off-panel.

Tsukiko was fun. I'm sure she would've wanted this scene to be visible.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

A triple strip? I don't think we've ever had that before. Absolutely perfect, though. That was brutal and a perfect end to Tsukiko. Dead at the hands of her own creations.

Silent Command Undead for the win! Which also answers the question of what spell Redcloak was casting in 828. Dimensionally locked study also explains why he teleported to just outside.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

LOVE this. Well done, Rich. It's all great - and good to know Redcloak kept his character development.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Yay, im so glad that Red-cloak put her out of her misery!

Just think if she DID become Xykons right hand. Think Herley Quin. Abusive relationship.

Also this is the medieval version of the cure for some form of Psychosis. Death.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

*places tongue in cheek*

Redcloak continues to be logically sound, brutally efficient, and hopelessly deluded. Come on, Giant, some of us want character development.

Then again, Tsukiko just developed plans to find housing in Hell, so there's that.

*removes tongue from cheek*

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow. Not only was it a new comic very soon after the last one. It was really an AWESOME one at that. I've been waiting for Tsukiko to die for a long time and the manner is... not surprising and very, VERY... cathartic? therapeutic? Meh, satisfying anyway.

But the best part? The instructions to the wights afterwards. RC is really growing into one of my favourite characters. The best villain without a doubt.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" - Terry Pratchett

Big thanks to Savannah for the badass Papa Wolf avatar!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I hope Xykon was secretly listening in on some of it... or something.
    That's what I was expecting to happen, actually.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't think I ever felt the need to respond to a comic. I've kept all of my "Holy Craps" bottled up inside, just in awe at the amazing story that I've been reading, that I some how came across and anchored me to this site. I've always just enjoyed it, and never really felt the need to say anything that any other fan hasn't said.

Until now.

Holy crap. -Holy- -Crap-. Holy Crap Holy Crap Holy Crap Holy Crap -HOLY- -FREAKING- -CRAP-!

I was always under the assumption that Tsukiko might have been -more- evil than Red Cloak, since he had been content with passive actions and only slight manipulations. And now I see that I'm almost as, if not more so, naive than Tsukiko was.

Red Cloak isn't the Dragon. He's the Man Behind the Man! He's potentially as Genre Savy as Tarquin, and he's the real Big Bad here! He's actually using Xykon! He's a Cleric, Trolling an Epic Lich Sorceror, with no more than his subtle actions!

All of the stuff he's had to endure, all of the struggles and trials and tribulations, all of the insults.... and it's all been part of his plans.... He's a Chestmaster.... And possibly the biggest threat in the story....

Holy Crap....

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

I always knew that Tsukiko would find her end in the hands of her beloved undeads, still i agree with all of you that the scene was disturbing at least, if even well deserved (specially the face of Redcloak showing her nothing but cold contempt).
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ahahahahahahaha!

Now that I have that out of my system... was there a particular reason he wanted the wights to eat themselves "in the order in which (they) were created"?

Also

Spoiler
    Show
    without the Soul Bind does that mean Xykon could force Redcloak to cast True Ressurection which he probably has access to now?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    A triple strip? I don't think we've ever had that before. Absolutely perfect, though. That was brutal and a perfect end to Tsukiko. Dead at the hands of her own creations.

Silent Command Undead for the win! Which also answers the question of what spell Redcloak was casting in 828. Dimensionally locked study also explains why he teleported to just outside.
    We've had at least 2 triple strips before. 500 was one the other was the one where Miko fell. We've also had a quadruple length strip (the introduction of Miko).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

**** yes. I just read a few other replies here and thought "huh? That's not the one I just read" clicked next "another ONE!?" xD

hah

I was expecting some sorta explosion but he pwned her with two spells (granted one was meta'ed)...

RC <3

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Oh man, I couldn't have been more wrong. I was thinking more on the lines of them coming to some agreement to balance things out.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106

The last comics have been extra amazing. Good to see RC staying true to his alignment.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
    Ahahahahahahaha!

Now that I have that out of my system... was there a particular reason he wanted the wights to eat themselves "in the order in which (they) were created"?
    It might be so that the oldest, and therefore most powerful, wights get eaten first, or it might be just a Lawful man's solution to the "if I just tell them to eat each other I might wind up with multiple wights who don't have enough of their bodies uneaten to keep eating each other" problem.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

Wow. I was expecting a massive, spell-against-spell battle between Redcloak and Tsukiko, with the victor barely hanging on, until finally delivering a coup-de-grace to win.

But I keep forgetting that Redcloak is a tactician. Why give your opponent a small chance of surviving with a spell-on-spell battle, when you can give them a zero chance of surviving with a battle based on guile on your home turf?

Awesome strip.

21. - Top - End - #51

The "fireplace" comment is a beautiful touch.

When Redcloak tidies up, he does it thoroughly.

22. - Top - End - #52

Wow.

Wooooow.

I never cared about Tsukiko at all (being firmly on Redcloak's side, at least where Team Evil is concerned), but her death was just... upsetting .

Fantastic comic. It's great to see Redcloak back on top again--I was worrying that after his badassery crushing the Resistence he was going to be outwitted by Tsukiko. And knowing that he's still not bowed by Xykon, even after the whole Darth V episode, is rewarding.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or at least he likes pretending to himself that he's not bowed by Xykon... time will tell.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brilliant comic. Made my day, really. It's amazing how Tsukiko managed to keep to her beliefs right to the end.

Also: Redcloak just standing there and looking at the scene.

Also: Fantastic pace of updates. I didn't even manage to finish reading the previous comic's discussion thread.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That was pretty dark, RC seemed abit james bond villainy with the whole fireplace comment. Also seems strange to me that RC didnt take any enjoyment out of beating someone who had humiliated him it was just something to be done, i guess it shows that the whole thing is not about self gratification for him which is good i guess.
    Last edited by Spacewolf; 2012-01-23 at 07:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

So Tsukiko is shown she was horribly wrong, in the most horribly wrong way possible.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or at least he likes pretending to himself that he's not bowed by Xykon... time will tell.
    He gave Jirix his spiel about being able to manipulate Xykon before the whole Darth V business. He called Xykon an ally, implying that they are on equal terms. He spelled out that keeping Xykon's knowledge limited in order to control him was his, Redcloak's, MO. He might even belive it. Xykon, of course, has other ideas. We shall see who is deluded.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

The expression on Tsukiko's face after she hears about the spell ("Twelve gods, I never thought...") makes me wonder if she was just about to decide to take pity on with Redcloak (not that it would have lasted given how emotionally unstable she is...well, was). Which of course only makes it more chilling that he has her killed before she can express any such repentance against her suddenly-understood enemy.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Fantastic.

I was expecting Tsukiko to die form the moment she showed up in Redcloak's room, but I was expecting more of a Implosion or Destruction, myself (what Mystic Theurge Fort saves being pretty dreadful).

That however, was stylishly executed, and gave him chance to put the metaphorical boot in as well. I applaud you Redcloak, as one Evil-doer to another!

I honestly didn't think Tsukiko was actually THAT stupid, until the last couple of strips, but with this one, she really did officially hit "too stupid to live." I mean, really? She honestly thought Redcloak would just let her tell Xykon something that would get him killed? I can't even fathom why anyone would be so daft... Ah well, I think she's paid for that blunder more than enough, not only with her life.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Still, Silent Command Undead right as he entered the room.

Beautiful, but incredibly depressing.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

More like she really understood what was at stake on this. It isn't some weekend evil here, but multiplanar catastrophe.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!