New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1136515253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2026
  1. - Top - End - #1801
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XX

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 966

There is no option to select an alternate feat. You would have two instances of the feat, with the same benefit as having it once. There are ways to substitute a feat after the fact involving spells or psychic powers, but no straightforward option in the rules to make a different choice.
    There is also the option of retraining feats in PHBII.

2. - Top - End - #1802
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    There is also the option of retraining feats in PHBII.
    Yes, but retraining doesn't pertain to any feats that you did not select (including a feat granted as a domain power).

A 968

Using Ready is simply making a plan and establishing the trigger condition that will cause you to execute that plan when you perceive the trigger.
    Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition.
    You can ready any sort of move action, including moving up to your speed. If the triggering condition is enemy spellcasting you must be able to detect that. An enemy casting a spell out of sight, or doing so with no verbal or somatic components, won't give you any clue to trigger your readied action.

3. - Top - End - #1803
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 969

Does using a weapon with an enchantment on it that requires an evil spell (such as strength sapping) have any alignment implications for a good character?
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2012-05-09 at 07:53 PM.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

4. - Top - End - #1804
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q970
    Do you need half or a full rank to use a trained only skill?
    Last edited by danzibr; 2012-05-09 at 08:23 PM.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #1805
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 969

There's no necessary connection between the constraints of enhancing a weapon and consequences for its use. That said, strength sapping is from Book of Vile Darkness, a 3.0 rules book. All 3.0 content without WotC updates is subject to this (from page 4 of Dungeon Master's Guide):
    This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.
    So talk to your DM about what adjustments are needed regarding strength sapping.

A 970 1+ rank.

From page 66 of Player's Handbook:
    Trained Only: If this notation is included in the skill name line, you must have at least 1 rank in the skill to use it.

6. - Top - End - #1806

A 969

There's no necessary connection between the constraints of enhancing a weapon and consequences for its use. That said, strength sapping is from Book of Vile Darkness, a 3.0 rules book. All 3.0 content without WotC updates is subject to this (from page 4 of Dungeon Master's Guide): So talk to your DM about what adjustments are needed regarding strength sapping.

A 970 1+ rank.

From page 66 of Player's Handbook:
    Q971
    Then does this make the feat Jack of all Trades useless? It says you may use any skill as if you have 1/2 rank in it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

7. - Top - End - #1807

hit dice do not round.
    Q972: For all purposes? There are no fractional HD above 1 so when fractions are gained...
    Last edited by NeedsAnswersNao; 2012-05-09 at 10:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1808
    Banned

I'm certain I've seen a source which indicated that a half rank could unlock a trained-only skill; whether that source was intended to overrule the PHB or was an inaccuracy I don't know.

9. - Top - End - #1809
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q973
    The feat stonepower (ToB p.32) can I activate/use it while using a maneuvre like douse the flames?

10. - Top - End - #1810
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but retraining doesn't pertain to any feats that you did not select (including a feat granted as a domain power).
    Hassassin did not specify how he got the feat the first time. If it was through feat selection he could change that instance of the feat instead of the domain granted one.

A 973

All strikes are allowed.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-05-10 at 01:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1811

Q 974

How much does a Dragonhid Mantle (cloak) weigh for a medium creature?
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2012-05-10 at 01:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1812
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 971
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of All Trades
    Benefit: You can use any skill as if you had 1/2 rank in that skill. This benefit allows you to attempt checks with skills that normally don't allow untrained skill checks
    The feat includes its own specific exception, without allowing the additional arithmetical bonus of a full rank. Half a rank normally does not allow use of a trained-only skill.

A 972

There are no rules that specify rounding hit dice. You maintain the total including fractions.

A 974 25 lbs.

The description of the Dragonhide Mantle (Draconomicon, page 118) says:
    Weight: same as ordinary hide armor of appropriate size.
    According to the Armor and Shields Table that's 25 lbs. for size Medium, 12.5 lbs. for size Small, and 50 lbs. for size Large.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-10 at 02:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1813

The description of the Dragonhide Mantle (Draconomicon, page 118) says: According to the Armor and Shields Table that's 25 lbs. for size Medium, 12.5 lbs. for size Small, and 50 lbs. for size Large.
    Wow that is heavy. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1814

Q975
    On Flight:

A: If you have "Good" flight it takes 5ft movement to turn your facing in the same squre. Does this provoke AoO?

B: How does facing affect Line of Sight and the ability to cast spells? (Since standing on the ground assumes you can cast in any direction because turning is a free action)

C: Can you use "Tumble" skill when flying (With "Good" flight) to fly past people with reach?

D: What is the reach upward of weapons (I assumed it was Hight+reach so giants being 10ft +10ft so you'd want to be 25ft+ to avoid getting swatted)
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

15. - Top - End - #1815
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool
    Q975 D: What is the reach upward of weapons (I assumed it was Hight+reach so giants being 10ft +10ft so you'd want to be 25ft+ to avoid getting swatted)
    You are correct - but your maths is wrong. A Large creature occupies a 10' cube (10x10x10), if it has 10' reach it threatens up to 20' - but that is the space rising from 15' to 20' - so somone 20' off the ground is out of reach - they have 10' air-gap to the creature and so are not threatened.
    Then the creature jumps...

16. - Top - End - #1816
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 975 A

All movement out of a threatened square provokes attacks of opportunity unless there's an explicit exception given. There aren't any exceptions for turning in flight.

A 975 B

There is no facing in D&D, even if you've got a line of flight. You're still aware in all directions.

A 975 C Yes.

If you've got a flight speed, flying is normal movement for you. You can Tumble as part of normal movement, assuming you maintain the minimum total movement requirement to avoid stalling.

A 975 D

Weapon reach works exactly the same in 3 dimensions as it does horizontally. As Khedrac noted, if you're Large you occupy a 10'x10'x10' space (8 5' cubes) and have a natural reach of 10'. With a non-reach weapon you can attack into any cubes within 10' of your space, and with a reach weapon you can attack into cubes 15' and 20' away (but not cubes closer or farther).

17. - Top - End - #1817
    Banned

Q976
    As far as I can tell, the rules for using a javelin or dart as a melee weapon don't specify whether it counts as light or one-handed. The closest suggestion I see is that a dart is described as being the size of "a large arrow", and an arrow used to stab someone is a light weapon; for the javelin I don't even have this much. Does anyone have any better indication on this topic? I was trying to picture someone stabbing with a dart two-handed for extra damage, and it didn't seem right, but I don't know if making it Finessable and useful in TWF is better.

18. - Top - End - #1818
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 976 No.

There are very few specific instructions for improvised weapons, so ask your DM to compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match. As a useful house rule for thrusting weapons (improvised piercing weapons) I will point out the ability to deliver damage is largely a function of momentum (mass x velocity), and humanoid anatomy dictates most thrusts will be at roughly the same speed until weapon weight becomes significant relative to arm weight. The DM can treat "relative size" as mostly relative weight for determining damage potential. (Relative size also dictates when the length is long enough to qualify as a reach weapon.) So look to the weight relative to other weapons, and see what category (light or 1-handed) best matches that weight.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-10 at 09:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1819

Q 977
    This is a question on prerequisites stemming from a conversation with Gwendol. Does Powerful Build let you meet the prerequisites for something requiring Large if not specifically stated?

Q 978
    Another question on prerequisites. If something has a certain prerequisite saying you must have X (or be X) and you have an item/feature that says, "you are treated as having X (or being X)" then is the prerequisite satisfied? Namely, even though you don't actually have X, because you're treated as having it, is that okay?
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

20. - Top - End - #1820
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 977 No.

There are only three ways in which Powerful Build treats you as one size larger.
    • Whenever a goliath is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the goliath is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
    • A goliath is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him.
    • A goliath can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
    None of these makes the Goliath qualify as size Large. There are a number of feats in Races of Stone which explicitly allow a Goliath to qualify as if Large, but the qualifications are only for those specific feats.

A 978

Yes, but only if the language used is as direct in stating the qualifications as you've indicated. This isn't really a question that has a general answer; as always, it's the specific rule text that matters.

21. - Top - End - #1821

A 978

Yes, but only if the language used is as direct in stating the qualifications as you've indicated. This isn't really a question that has a general answer; as always, it's the specific rule text that matters.
    Q 978 II
    What happens if you lose the item which granted the prerequisite? Do you lose the ability to use whatever had X as the prereq, but regain the ability to use it when you are again considered to have/be X?
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

22. - Top - End - #1822
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 965

No spells I'm aware of, but the psionic power expansion would do the trick.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

23. - Top - End - #1823
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 979: Are a half-fiend's SLAs determined only by RHD?

For instance, does a half-fiend human fighter 18 qualify for Summon Monster IX, or does it qualify for no SLAs at all (since he doesn't have RHD)?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

24. - Top - End - #1824
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 978 II
    A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.
    When you regain the prerequisite you again gain the feat's benefit.

For classes the answer depends on the specifics. You cannot gain any levels (not just the first level) in a class if you don't meet the qualifications to enter that class. (See the Level Advancement rules on Player's Handbook pages 58-59, always starting with step 1. Choose Class, which requires the entry qualifications.) Many classes have their own specific rules about what happens when you no longer meet that class's requirements, as for example the Monk and Cleric. But absent such a specification you generally keep access to class abilities you have acquired; you're only prohibited from qualifying for more.

Two books impose additional requirements specific to the prestige classes in those books: Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane. See the rules about maintaining class requirements on pages 16 and 17, respectively, of those two books. Read each applicable rule carefully; those rules are substantially different from each other, and can have no bearing outside those two books. (If they did, the Dragon Disciple prestige class in Dungeon Master's Guide, the primary source for rules about prestige classes, would be impossible under those rules. WotC, as stated in the Primary Sources Errata Rule, settles such disagreements with the core books being correct and the disagreeing sources overruled.)

A 979 No.

A Half-Fiend's abilities are expressed in terms of hit dice, without particulars except for excluding class HD from racial skill points. Do remember that LA adds to effective character level but does not add to HD. Also your "since he doesn't have RHD" statement is incorrect; a Human who inherits the Half-Fiend template becomes an Outsider, not a Humanoid, and retains 1 racial HD (with the skill points and other particulars as specified).
    Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class.
    There is no such exchange option for Outsiders.

Your example Half-Fiend Human Fighter 18 will be an ECL 23 character, have 19 hit dice, and qualify for all Half-Fiend spell-like abilities.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-10 at 12:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1825

ElfRangerGuy

Q 980
    I can't find any level adjustment for a shadow flayer (from MM V) it mentions that it advance as a character class and have favored class rogue. Does it have LA of 0? Have searched here already.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

26. - Top - End - #1826
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 981: I understand the rules with darkness, and light sources, but what is the limit for just seeing in pure day light? If someone has a bow that can fire say 300ft, that's great an all, but how do you know you can see your target?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

27. - Top - End - #1827
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryr View Post
    Q 980
    I can't find any level adjustment for a shadow flayer (from MM V) it mentions that it advance as a character class and have favored class rogue. Does it have LA of 0? Have searched here already.
    A 980

Advancement is the term used for an NPC monster gaining hit dice or class levels. It has nothing to do with suitability as a player character. A Shadow Flayer has no level adjustment and is not suitable as a player character.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

28. - Top - End - #1828
    Ettin in the Playground

A 981

Spot checks, possibly. Also encounter distance may reduce the effective maximum range.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-05-10 at 03:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1829
    Colossus in the Playground

Also your "since he doesn't have RHD" statement is incorrect; a Human who inherits the Half-Fiend template becomes an Outsider, not a Humanoid, and retains 1 racial HD (with the skill points and other particulars as specified). There is no such exchange option for Outsiders.

Your example Half-Fiend Human Fighter 18 will be an ECL 23 character, have 19 hit dice, and qualify for all Half-Fiend spell-like abilities.
    That's not the way it works in the MM- it states "do not recalculate hit dice" in the description (Size and Type) and the sample half fiend (human cleric) has no racial hit dice- it only has 7 cleric hit dice.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #1830
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    That's not the way it works in the MM- it states "do not recalculate hit dice" in the description (Size and Type) and the sample half fiend (human cleric) has no racial hit dice- it only has 7 cleric hit dice.
    You follow the rules text, not the examples. As you pointed out, you do not recalculate the 1 HD of the starting creature, but both Humanoids and Outsiders have d8 hit dice so there is no change anyway. (The Humanoid will lose out on improved Outsider saves and BAB, though.) The example character is just one of many which does not follow the rules.

Re: A 980

From page 7 of Monster Manual V:
    CREATURES AS CHARACTERS
    If a creature offers exciting possibilities for play as a character, this section provides the statistics and level adjustment.
    The Shadow Flayer entry does not have the CREATURES AS CHARACTERS entry required for PC use.

A 981 additional info

The Dungeon Master's Guide section on Wilderness Adventures (pages 87-93) provides the maximum distances at which an encounter can start based on the terrain type; see the "Stealth and Detection in ..." section for each terrain. Within that distance a creature (on either side) must succeed at a Spot check to notice the other party. A Listen check might also start the encounter, if the other party makes sufficient noise.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-10 at 03:37 PM.