New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Remnant III

[Meeting Room]

"Absolutely," Harnel says, "We should also set up a way of communicating between the different bases so that we can keep informed of different circumstances that come up and can respond appropriately."

"As for the adamantine, I'll set aside some of it. The amount that I set aside will be free for you, whether you ask me to forge it or not. It won't be much compared to what I have at the moment, but it'll still likely be more than you've ever seen in one place."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Jefferies is clearly insane.
    Or something.
    Maybe not.

[Infirmary - Feia]

Feia gives a little nod and looks over at her egg for a moment, debating just passing out around now.
    But a thought occurs to her, that may be vaguely important.
    "Could I perhaps invoke that now and request a paper and pen?
    I think I need to write a letter."
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

"I..."
    Bugs starts before a wave of guilt washes over him, causing him to hug Sunny tight once more. "We'll see." He promises.

Infirmary - Feia

"Sure. I'll be sure to send an envelope as well."
    With that, Bugs leaves to head to his checkup on Sunny, and later, a Nurse will come by with what Feia requests.

Meeting Room

Vasquez gives a nod. "That'll be fine. Whenever you do decide to come over, just call the hotline and ask for me, saying who you are. Any other details, we can work out later."

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

"I'll see you later then," Harnel says with a grin. Unless stopped, he'll stand and leave, waving goodbye to the commander. He'll pick up his gear on the way out, and once he's a short distance away, will take to the sky to fly back to his keep.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

"Can I... can I give your name to Luke, for his middle name?" Sunny asks. "Is that okay?"
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

"I'd be honored beyond all belief."
    Samuel tells Sunny with another gentle hug, smiling in happiness at her question.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

There's more hugging and maybe a bit more crying, before Sunny finally heads for home to wait for Carl's shift to end so she can tell him everything and let him comfort her.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #518
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Rec Center]

"And how have you fit in so far?" Iamar asks. She leans forward and places her hands on the table.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Fear shrugs, unsure of who Eileen would know, other than them. She doesn't actually know her all that well, after all; this is only the second time they've met, and the Remnant didn't exactly say much about her social life last time.

"Maybe? Depends on who you know... Does the name Lady Raennall ring a bell? If not, then probably not, since she doesn't tend to go by false names much, that I'm aware of."
    "Ah. Well, I can't say it does, no," Eileen observes, shaking her head.

The extent of her 'social life' nowadays is 'go to Trog's, get drunk'...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    "Ah. Well, I can't say it does, no," Eileen observes, shaking her head.

The extent of her 'social life' nowadays is 'go to Trog's, get drunk'...
    Then it sounds like knowing the Tieflings might be good for her...

In any case, Fear smiles a bit, and shrugs, at her words. "It's probably not that important anyway. I'm sure you'll get plenty of chances to meet her while we're doing this... Speaking of which, how soon will you be free to help?"
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-05-20 at 01:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary

Samuel Gale shuts his locker with a sigh after putting his labcoat and medication back in. The pain was constant these days, and he could barely stand it without the pills. Guess I'm getting resistant to the painkillers... Bugs supposes to himself as he nods to a couple of the orderlies who were just getting on shift. Even though it was his time to leave, he still had one last place to visit. Two actually.

It was a small detour to hit the cafeteria on his way to the Extreme Care Ward, commonly nicknamed "Lost Cause Highway" by many of the younger doctors. To Samuel though, there was never such a case, and with a tray of cookies and milk in his hands, he backs through the doorway and reads through the numbered doors as he headed to his destination. He took great pride that he spent some time with each patient here once in a while, and today, it was a special case's night for a visit. Backing once more into room 113, he pauses to let his eyes adjust to the darkness. Unlike many rooms, this one lacked all light except what was cast by a small green nightlight, and had the frame lined with cold iron to absorb stray magic that seemed to be soaked in the air in this realm. If either of those conditions weren't in effect, the young man in the bed would have died ages ago.

"G'even' Doc."
    The 22 year old man in the bed told him, looking up from his little glowing ereader. Even with that dim light, he had to wear sunglasses to prevent his eyes from burning. Bugs can't help but smile at the man's cheerfulness though, and takes a seat next to him, setting the tray on the table. "Just got off?"

"I did. Thought I'd stop by though. Everything been okay, Hank?"
    The doctor asks, sounding genuinely concerned. The young man had been on his second patrol in his time in Remnant when he got hit by some sort of ooze byproduct from a Abyssal Drug Farmer. Whatever it was, gave him an immense allergy to both light and magic and it'd been a wonder they had even gotten a room like this ready for him in time. Since then, the man had been stuck in here for over seven months. Samuel couldn't imagine the hell it must be like.

Hank sighed at the question and shuts off his little reader to enjoy the treat that was brought. "Melissa called. Paperwork finally got through and she's ran off with the kid and her aerobics instructor. I know I should be angry, but I guess it was just a matter of time." He admits. Samuel winces at the news and reaches out to pat his shoulder gently. "I promise we'll get you back to normal so-" He starts, only to be cut off by the man. "Doc, you said that last month, and the month before that, and the month before that. While I'm thankful for your efforts, I'm afraid I really can't hope for the best any more."

Samuel pulls his hand back slowly, feeling defeated as he looks down at his lap, trying to figure a way out of it. "I know. But that doesn't mean I won't figure something out. Even...even if it's the last thing I do." He says quietly, causing Hank to look at him oddly. "Sir...is everything okay? What's up? You don't sound too well..."

Hank's concern snaps Bugs out of it and he shakes his head. "Everything's fine. Just enjoy the cookies. I'll see you again soon, with better news next time. I promise." With that, Samuel heads out for real this time, heading home.

Once there, he goes about his nightly duties of a touch of paperwork, showering, getting a decent meal, and reading a bit. Right before bed though, he decides to shave, and it isn't until he takes a good long look in the mirror that he realizes how long gone he was. His eyes were dark, almost bruised, and his cheeks gaunt. His once healthy skin looked pale and blotchy, and his expression was one of constant ache. Have I really sunken so low... He asks himself, barely able to comprehend it. Do I want to leave this way? I have...two or three months left maybe? He thinks, trying to put things in order as he shaves. If this is what he looked like now, how would he look then? How would he feel?

With those questions unanswered, he finishes and heads back to his kitchen, grabbing a glass of tea before heading to the balcony to watch the night shift move about. How many promises would he break? Sunny's and Hank's easily, as well as over a dozen others in the Extreme Care Ward alone. What was he trying to prove? That he deserved this because of everything he's been through? He didn't have to die this slow and agonizing death because that would just be giving up.

Giving Up.

The thought hammers through his tired mind, striking him to the core. That's what this was. He'd given up. Things got too tough for him to bear, and he simply wanted it to end in a way that he thought would justify it. What would his wife and daughter say if they knew? What would all those others out there that he called his children that relied on him to patch them up day in and day out to keep them fighting, letting them protect their families and lives? Just how many people would his selfish death affect?

Taking a deep breath, he reaches over for the phone while he watches the groups below. It was time to call Arla. As he dials, the sight of Geoff's Sirens walking in uniform to the Rec Center gives him another idea. He'd have to call Geoff too. Maybe he didn't have to break Hank's promise after all...

12. - Top - End - #522
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rotting Baron View Post
    [Rec Center]

"And how have you fit in so far?" Iamar asks. She leans forward and places her hands on the table.

[Rec Center]

"Many things have changed since my time. It's hard to deal with the things right now. I try my best, but it needs more time to fit in these things. After all thousand of years where need to make these changes."

The sadness in his voice is noticable.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Then it sounds like knowing the Tieflings might be good for her...

In any case, Fear smiles a bit, and shrugs, at her words. "It's probably not that important anyway. I'm sure you'll get plenty of chances to meet her while we're doing this... Speaking of which, how soon will you be free to help?"
    Indeed it is.

"I'm free now, actually," Eileen says, standing and flexing her hands. "It's not like I have much to do at times."

And the one other thing she does have to do is slimed in deadtime ooze...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Indeed it is.

"I'm free now, actually," Eileen says, standing and flexing her hands. "It's not like I have much to do at times."

And the one other thing she does have to do is slimed in deadtime ooze...
    Fear hops up as well, seeming invigorated by the Remnant's willingness to help, and reaches up to the shard of ice she's wearing as a necklace again, smiling slightly.

"In that case, let's go meet up with the others."

With that, since they're in a park across the street, and thus presumably out of range of any antiteleport wards, the pair may find themselves transported rather suddenly to the DFI!

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

And off they go!

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

Charity pockets her phone. "Edijar will be here soon," she says to her sister.

The delivery had gone well. The child being part halfling certainly made it easier for his human mother. Bugs, Charity, and Carl were the only people Sunny could bear to have in the room with her. She didn't even want anyone else notified until it was all over and she could get cleaned up and dressed. It wasn't until after Charity had helped her sister to shower that Edijar had been called.

Now, Sunny was in her favourite flannel pyjamas - the ones with little robots on them - and Carl was snuggled up next to her in bed as they both held little Luke. So far, Aunty Charity had barely gotten to hold the baby, and only to assist Bugs with medical duties such as washing and weighing. But she was able to wait. Even the lingering painful memories of her own ectopic pregnancy were swept away for now.

Charity puts her arm around Bugs. "I've never seen her so happy. Not even on her wedding day."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Rec Center

"Well, what was it like your last time?"
    Anna asks as she settles in, getting ready to listen to what she hoped was a long story.

Infirmary - Sunny

Bugs sets his arm back around Charity, and if she hasn't noticed already, his worn and pained appearance has vanished completely, as well as the weakness and trembling he'd have on occasion. For the first time in ages, he seems genuinely happy. "I'm proud of them. It's been so long since I've delivered a baby that I'd forgotten how enjoyable this moment would be." He whispers back.

Carl lays next to his wife on the bed with one arm above them, on the pillow, and the other gently stroking Luke's head. "He's perfect." He swears to Sunny before kissing her gently on the cheek. "I love you. Both of you." He tells them before kissing the top of Luke's head as well.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

Charity has definitely noticed Bugs's improvement. She had stayed very close to him to make sure his trembling hands or weakness didn't cause him to make a mistake at a critical moment. After all, as much as she cares for Bugs, this was her sister he was treating. Charity had studied everything she could find about labour and delivery, knowing in advance that she'd be the only assistant allowed in the room.

But it hadn't been necessary. She didn't know if he had changed his mind and decided to live, or simply taken better medication in advance of the birth, and now wasn't the right time to ask.

"My first time," Charity says.

Sunny can't take her eyes off her baby, feeling her world shift around her, this child becoming the centre of her life. She knew it was a hormone that triggered these feelings, one that Charity could probably tell her the name of, but that didn't make the feelings less genuine. What she didn't understand was how it made her love Carl more than she ever had before. She nuzzles a little against his arm, but she can't look away from Luke, even for Carl. "Love you both too," Sunny says to her son and her son's father.

Ah, that was why she loved Carl more. He had become something more, hadn't he? They both had.

I'm a mother.

That thought was exhilarating and terrifying and everything earth shattering at once. This perfect tiny life had come from her, was her responsibility.

She can't help it. The tears start to stream down her face. "My son..."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

Charity will get a text that Edijar is back on base and on his way, but it'll be a few moments more before he's in the room. While they wait, Bugs gives Charity a slight smile. "This is the moment that always makes it worth while." The doctor whispers to her as he nods at Sunny, Luke, and Carl.

Carl reaches up to gently wipe away the tears, looking up at her face with a warm and content smile. "You're going to make a wonderful mother, Sunny. I know it."

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

"You too," Sunny says, then laughs through her tears. "I mean father. Oh Carl..."

In all this joy, little Lucian wakes up and start to fuss. Sunny looks at Bugs with a bit of alarm, not entirely sure how to proceed, but finally unbuttoning her top and putting the tiny infant to her breast. It takes the two of them a little while to figure it out, but instinct eventually takes over.

"I guess we should leave them alone for now," Charity says to Bugs, knowing her sister well enough to know that she won't want to be seen breastfeeding by others. If he's agreeable, she'll move out of the room with him, and give him a tight hug.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

Carl ignores the others and slips his arm around Sunny's stomach as he rests his head on her shoulder, watching their child and feeling like the happiest man on earth.

Outside the room, Samuel smiles as he holds Charity close, and will be doing so when Edijar walks around the corner. The man smiles at the sight and leans against the wall. Unlike Charity, it's easy for Edijar to figure out what's happened to his old father-in-law, but he doesn't say anything, instead waiting his turn nearby with his gentle smile.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Outside Sunny's Room

Charity pulls Edijar into the hug as soon as he's within reach. "They need a few minutes," Charity says. "But I have some pictures." She pulls out her cell phone and shows them off. Obviously Luke is the most adorable baby in the Nexus right now. *nodnod*

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

Edijar holds his girlfriend close, resting his head on the top of her own as he looks over the photos she shows him from the phone. He can't help but smile as he sees how happy his In-Laws are and how beautiful his nephew was. He gives Charity a soft kiss on the top of the head as he holds her from behind before giving her a gentle squeeze around the waist. "They're absolutely wonderful. I'm so proud of them." He tells her. "And you."

24. - Top - End - #534
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Rec Center

"Well, what was it like your last time?"
    Anna asks as she settles in, getting ready to listen to what she hoped was a long story.
    Rec Center

Tovpir thinks for a few moments. He slept long, but the memories of his old time are still there. It's just like he lived there only two days ago.

"Different. The whole technology you have now was not even a dream in anyone's mind. Physical strength was the most important attribute in this time. Only a few people where able to use magic. Most of them weren't even able to use offensive spells."

Tovpir shakes his head. Some ugly memories came up where mages die a horrible death by just using a simple offensive spell.

"My kind was one of the strongest in this time and war was common. Not in the way it is common here. We fought on battlefields leaving all innocent from any harm. I spied into many cities. Each person there looked similar to the others. Wearing same clothes and be the same race. It's hard to understand that the city now contain different kinds of you. Some are small and some are giant high."

He stops, falling into thoughts again. Now he is in the streets where the robot and the priest fight against each other.

"I met a little guy. He told me something about a god. Dala.. Da... eh something starting with Dala or so. Do you know something about that?"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cell

Jake sits down and takes his mother's hands. "Billie did something kind of stupid and got in trouble, but I'm glad it happened now. I should have realized sooner that this was the reason you so often go missing."

Elaine shakes her head. "I don't see how you could have guessed... this."

"Because for the past two years, it's been happening to me. There's another person--"

"Jacob, no! Oh no..."

"Yes. It seems to run in the family."

Elaine seems to crumple, devastated at the news. Jake puts his arm around her.

"It's not so bad. Gus isn't as crazy as Billie. We've learned to communicate, o work together."

Infirmary - Sunny

After feeding time is over, Sunny is willing to have visitors again, and to show Luke off to everyone who wants to see him. Because of course, he's the most beautiful baby in the entire world.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

Edijar enters with his phone in his hand. It's not obvious at first, but he gets it ready to take a picture. "For the most beautiful family in the world." He says as he takes a few pictures. Once done, he'll set the camera-phone aside to give them all hugs. "He's a wonderful child. You two should be so proud of yourselves." He says sincerely.

Off to the side, Bugs can't help but smile at the scene. It was odd. A long time ago, he thought it'd be his daughter and Edijar who'd be the ones with the child in their arms. Now though...

As much as the thought may have been painful before, it wasn't like that any more. He thought of Sunny, Carl, and their precious son as family now, and with a look at Edijar and Charity, he couldn't help but think that maybe the three of them were living a full life through the happy family in the bed.

Holding Cell

Vasquez stays quiet near the entrance of the cell, hands held neatly in front of her. It wasn't the time or place for her to be able to say something as the two needed to patch things up dearly.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Sunny

Finally, Charity can see that Sunny and Carl are both exhausted. "Why don't you come home with us for dinner?" Charity suggests to Bugs. "And by dinner, I mean take-out, unless Edijar is up for cooking."

Holding Cell

"After I figured out what was happening, I started talking to him," Jake explains. "He was somewhat hostile at first, but we gradually became... well, friends. As strange as it is."

"How do you... you mean mentally?"

"No, no, just notes at first. Then Gus got the idea to use a moving picture machine. I want you and Billie to try it. I think you'll be happier if you aren't fighting with her all the time."

"I couldn't! All she's ever done is try to ruin my life! I just wish she was gone."
    Elaine says, and bursts into tears.

Jake looks helplessly at Vasquez.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Holding Cell

"Elaine, Billie gave up her control early to let you speak to your sons, and it wasn't easy for her to do so. But if you consider her to be the less reasonable and she was able to do that, then you should take the olive branch." She tries to reason, reaching out to set her mechanical hand on Elaine's shoulder. "This won't be easy after all this time, but you need to."

Infirmary - Sunny

Bugs begins to decline, but with another glance at Charity, he smiles and gives a small nod. "I think I'd like that." He says before going back to give Sunny and Carl one last hug. "I'll see you three tomorrow. If you need anything, just call for a nurse." The halfling hugs the doctor back before going back to his son. "We will. Have a good night, Samuel."

Edijar wraps his arm around Charity's waist and leans down to kiss her cheek. "I'll cook up something. This is a reason to celebrate."

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Infirmary - Feia]

She works on her letter for quite some time, writing very slowly to avoid having to scratch anything out and begin the arduous task of writing the whole thing out again.
    Not that that would be particularly difficult, mind, but a bothersome inconvenience and waste of paper.

When she does complete it, it is neatly folded and placed somewhere off to the side.
    Feia will deliver it herself, eventually. Probably important to do so, with such things. The recipient likely won't be very fond of the contents, but a personal appearance is at least polite.

Her gaze drifts to and lingers upon her egg, that short little distance away, frowning to herself.
    What should a proper mother be thinking, right now? Probably words of joy and thankfulness.

She is thankful that it lives, of course, and that she does as well, but mostly on the basis that she is supposed to. That was her purpose.
    The woman hadn't genuinely thought she'd make it this far.

It could be worse, she supposes. Could be a mother with nothing to her name and more than a few people out to see her bleed.
    Oh wait.

A little sigh later and Feia lays back in her bed, brooding into the general direction of the ceiling.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cell

"When Gus made the first moving picture of himself talking to me, it was very strange to finally put a face and a voice to the other part of me. Very strange, and very helpful.

Mother, you don't have to decide anything just now, but when you're ready, you can see some pictures of Billie. Also, I would like you to meet Gus.
    Jake says.

Elaine shakes her head at the idea. "No. No. Jacob, don't go."

"I won't. Not yet. But it isn't bad, because don't fight each other for control. We work on an agreed schedule. When you're ready to meet him, it only has to be for a few minutes. Gus will let me have control again when you ask."

Elaine still looks unconvinced, so Jake doesn't press the matter. "You don't have to decide right now. You've had a lot to take in."

Infirmary >> Edijar's Quarters

"It may be a reason to celebrate, but I'm hungry now," Charity points out with a playful shove at her boyfriend. "Whatever you cook better not take long."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs