New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Remnant III

[Courtyard]

Harnel simply stands where he is. He's sure that Edijar wouldn't have been chosen for something like this if he wasn't entirely capable of doing the job. Remnant was good for things like that; if they have a man on the job, he's qualified.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground

Courtyard

"I don't control my husband Edijar, he's free to do as he wish. As long as you keep your word I won't stop you." Cessie replies, having no concerns that Harnel wouldn't pass the regiment. If he didn't pass, she didn't think many else would either.

In fact, if he didn't pass he would probably be a lot safer which was just positive. But she also wanted Harnel to be happy and this what was he enjoyed doing so she wouldn't object to it.

3. - Top - End - #633

Rec Center

"I did met something strange. Just some little guys not even half of humans size.I wonder what they are. Mini humans?"

Courtyard

"What do you mean by 'complete authority'? I never met such a military like this."

Well problem for her is that in her world the church has the most authority.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

[Courtyard]

I have no problem with it, Wenomir states curtly. At least now he's going to be commanded by someone who earned their rank instead of leading because they have a title.

[Motor Pool]

The trio of bikers turn to Sunny as she walks over.
    And here's the happy mother. Congratulations, Anatolij says with a smile. His two soldiers nod.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-06-26 at 07:24 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    "I don't think so. I've cut a lot of ties, over the years," Vul says. That much is true - and for good reason, too. Then there's MURDER, of course...
    [Interview Room]

Gustav nods. "Good. Do you currently have any ties to groups within the Nexus?" Conflicting interests can be a problem.

[Courtyard]

"No problem from me either." Yazon says. It's not like he hasn't followed plenty of people in the past.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2012-06-26 at 10:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

Motor Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Motor Pool

Carl floats over to kiss Sunny's cheek. "I'm going to take an early retirement, or at least a job I can do from home so one of us can stay around Luke all day. You're needed here a lot more than I am." He tries to explain to her. As sad as the announcement may seem to be, he's smiling the entire time, knowing this was the right thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Motor Pool]

The trio of bikers turn to Sunny as she walks over.
    And here's the happy mother. Congratulations, Anatolij says with a smile. His two soldiers nod.

"Thank you,"
    Sunny says. She looks at Carl worriedly. "We can hire a caretaker, or both go part-time."

Outside the Motor Pool

Outside the Motor Pool

Jyarl closes his eyes to calm down for a moment before giving a snort of amusement. "No. She's already learned those well enough without me." He admits. "But even so, between me and a pug, there's not enough to help raise her. She needs someone to ground her."
    "It can't just be me. I can't be a co-parent with you." Not with someone I barely know and don't even like. Not when she wouldn't have any rights, and she could have access to the child cut off at a moment's notice. It wouldn't be fair to her or the girl. "I can be a friend, an aunt. Not a mother."

At the same time, the child wouldn't be alive if Missy hadn't called in the fire and fought off the arsonists. There was a sense of responsibility. And something more - a hope of being able to make up for what she'd lost. She tried to push that hope down. Not a mother. Just a friend.

Courtyard

Spoiler
    Show
    Courtyard

Edijar gives Cessie a small nod of acknowledgement. "If you don't mind stepping aside then, that's perfectly acceptable. Other than that, I do have a favor to ask, Councilor. I would like you to trust me in what I am doing. I realize your husband is taking part, but it is still quite likely that he might not pass this regimen. Regardless, you have my word that he'll be in one piece." He promises before looking at the other Watchmen. "Now, I have two questions. First and most importantly, is there anyone who has an issue with my complete authority over this? If so, step forward and we'll settle the dispute here and now. There won't be another chance later."
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    [Courtyard]

Harnel simply stands where he is. He's sure that Edijar wouldn't have been chosen for something like this if he wasn't entirely capable of doing the job. Remnant was good for things like that; if they have a man on the job, he's qualified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Courtyard

"I don't control my husband Edijar, he's free to do as he wish. As long as you keep your word I won't stop you." Cessie replies, having no concerns that Harnel wouldn't pass the regiment. If he didn't pass, she didn't think many else would either.

In fact, if he didn't pass he would probably be a lot safer which was just positive. But she also wanted Harnel to be happy and this what was he enjoyed doing so she wouldn't object to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Courtyard

"What do you mean by 'complete authority'? I never met such a military like this."

Well problem for her is that in her world the church has the most authority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Courtyard]

I have no problem with it, Wenomir states curtly. At least now he's going to be commanded by someone who earned their rank instead of leading because they have a title.

Darcy tries to refrain from rolling her eyes at Mia. I've never met a military that didn't work this way. But she only says, "No problem, Sir."
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

7. - Top - End - #637
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Interview Room]

Gustav nods. "Good. Do you currently have any ties to groups within the Nexus?" Conflicting interests can be a problem.

[Courtyard]

"No problem from me either." Yazon says. It's not like he hasn't followed plenty of people in the past.
    "No, sir," says Teq, settling back in his chair a bit more.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

[Interview Room]

"None at all? I see. How long has it been since you came to the Nexus. I presume you're not a native." He asks.

9. - Top - End - #639

Interview room

"A few months. I've done nothing but petty mercenary work," says Vul. He seems a little annoyed about it, too.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Motor Pool

"I'm not saying you have to do it. Just think about it for now. Whatever's required legally, we'll get out of the way and get it done. She could probably use a different legal guardian as well, in case I happen to die for a while."
    Jyarl suggests with a shrug. "If you'd rather not do it, fine. Just say so and I can talk to someone else." He says.

Motor Pool

Carl smiles and shakes his head. "It wouldn't be right to have someone else take care of him while we worked, and all I have to do is ask Vas for something I can do long distance from the house. No need to go part-time for either of us. I'd just change location." He suggests somewhat hopefully.

Courtyard

"It means that while you're here, you'll listen to my orders when I give them. Failure to comply to the best of your abilities without a decent reason would be grounds for you to be removed from the program."
    Edijar explains to her before speaking up. "If any of you do not wish to take part of physical exercise, labor, extreme mental stress, and the like, pick up your things and go. I am here to train you, but I can only train people who are willing to put forth the effort."

"As for the rest of you, I present my second question. How many of you know much about the Roman Legions from what is commonly called Earth?"
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2012-06-26 at 11:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

[Courtyard]

The part about having to follow orders when they were issued irks Harnel. He isn't sure why; he chose this, and and he spent twelve years of his life doing just that. why did this seem like such a bad thing now?

"I've heard a few things, but nothing concrete." Harnel says

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

[Interview Room]

Gustav nods. "You sought out the work yourself then? Postings offering your services perhaps?"

[Courtyard]

Yazon shakes his head and doesn't speak up. He's never heard of Earth, let along anything specific from it.

13. - Top - End - #643

Interview Room

"In a way. I have a... machine, that maps such things. Most recently, I fought for the Imperial Legions in the fall of Thessoloniki," Teq explains, stone-faced as ever.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Outside Motor Pool

Outside Motor Pool

"I'm not saying you have to do it. Just think about it for now. Whatever's required legally, we'll get out of the way and get it done. She could probably use a different legal guardian as well, in case I happen to die for a while."
    Jyarl suggests with a shrug. "If you'd rather not do it, fine. Just say so and I can talk to someone else." He says.
    Missy sighs. "Let me meet her. Nothing official yet. You... you don't even really know what you're asking, do you?" Magtok is the only person she's ever told about her son, though it wouldn't surprise her if Edijar or Vasquez had picked up on it in a background check. Jyarl had never been in her direct line of command though, so she'd be rather surprised if he knew.

Motor Pool
    Motor Pool

Carl smiles and shakes his head. "It wouldn't be right to have someone else take care of him while we worked, and all I have to do is ask Vas for something I can do long distance from the house. No need to go part-time for either of us. I'd just change location." He suggests somewhat hopefully.
    Sunny leans in so that her forehead is touching Carl's, and places her hand on Luke. She doesn't say anything, but the love radiating from her to her small family is palpable.

Courtyard
    Courtyard

"It means that while you're here, you'll listen to my orders when I give them. Failure to comply to the best of your abilities without a decent reason would be grounds for you to be removed from the program."
    Edijar explains to her before speaking up. "If any of you do not wish to take part of physical exercise, labor, extreme mental stress, and the like, pick up your things and go. I am here to train you, but I can only train people who are willing to put forth the effort."

"As for the rest of you, I present my second question. How many of you know much about the Roman Legions from what is commonly called Earth?"
    Darcy knows not a damn thing about the Roman Legions, though the term 'Earth' she's encountered before.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #645

Courtyard

The sorceress stares at Edijar as he mentions 'legions' but quickly relaxes as she realize these roman legions couldn't be anything like the ones in her own homeworld. She did know the terms meant 'many in one however' or at least it did in her world.

"I don't think I do, my world have legions but I doubt that's the ones you mean." Cessie replies.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

[Motor Pool]

The three bikers look at one another, nod, and step back to give the family some space.

[Courtyard]

I've read about them, Wenomir states curtly. They came up during his studies on the art and history of warfare.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Motor Pool

"I have suspicions, everyone does. We were all Mortal Coil and served together long enough that we can tell something."
    Jyarl admits. "While I made sure to stay away from most of the others, it doesn't mean I didn't watch and listen." He's about to go on, but stops and sighs before looking at her with a very strange expression on his face.

Caring.

"Whatever it is, I think it is time for you to move on. If it's bothered you this long and deep, it'll just be a short amount of time before you get discharged for mental health if it keeps going."
    The officer tells her quietly, as if he's afraid that others might hear him being a bit compassionate for once. "Just meet her, and we'll go from there. That's all I'll ask you to do."

Motor Pool

Carl floats up to give Sunny a slow kiss before looking into her eyes. "Is that a yes?" He asks, knowing it was, but needing to hear her say it.

On The Wall

Vasquez walks along the perimeter slowly, nodding to each soldier there and chatting with them. She makes a point of getting to know each one. Their family, pets, hobbies...hell, even their favorite drinks. It was all important to know.

It also made her job much harder since she had to remain able to send them off to their deaths if it was even remotely necessary.

After her rounds, she goes to stand next to a private on his own section of wall. She leans up against it. "So, what's new, Hicks?" She asks her Head of Intel. His visor lifts up halfway as he frowns before answering her. "The Cult of St. Evans has a pretty tight grip on the new recruits. Small for now, but those who are in it are devout." He admits.

Vasquez frowns as well, staying silent for a moment before asking another question. "And your thoughts on it?"

Hicks takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. "Double-edged sword, Vas. On one hand, it means the soldiers have something more to fight for. On the other, it means they're less likely to listen to you or their commanding officers if Sunny asks them to do something against command. Oh, I know it's quite unlikely she ever would, but we don't want to be another GLoG to her. Especially if she had a small army backing her."

The Commander of Remnant gives a small nod. "Alright then. We'll be careful. How can I tell her followers apart from the others though? Surely they've some symbol. And what the hell can we do about it to make sure Remnant doesn't fracture?" She asks.

Hicks doesn't answer for a moment, picking up a small mug of coffee from the wall to take a sip. "There's a few dozen devout and several more who are at least listening in. They carry small engineering hammers at their side for the most part. More ornate for the longer they've been in the cult." He explains. "As for how...well, we keep her from being a true Saint. She's already performed two miracles. We need to watch for a third and make sure she doesn't get killed."

"Two? I thought just one. I know about the wall, but what was the ot-"

"Lucius."

"What? Their son? How is he one? Sure, it's a blessing, but a Miracle?"

"Carl and Sunny are two completely different species. They look similar, but the actual chances of them having a child together, let alone one so quickly were less than one percent. They could have tried every night for the rest of their lives and never have one. Word's already spreading through the Cult about him."

Vasquez shakes her head in wonder. "What should I do about it?"

At that, Hicks smirks a bit at her and reaches down into a pouch in his armor, pulling out a decent sized engineering hammer. "Wear this."

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Outside Motor Pool

Outside Motor Pool

"I have suspicions, everyone does. We were all Mortal Coil and served together long enough that we can tell something."
    Jyarl admits. "While I made sure to stay away from most of the others, it doesn't mean I didn't watch and listen." He's about to go on, but stops and sighs before looking at her with a very strange expression on his face.

Caring.

"Whatever it is, I think it is time for you to move on. If it's bothered you this long and deep, it'll just be a short amount of time before you get discharged for mental health if it keeps going."
    The officer tells her quietly, as if he's afraid that others might hear him being a bit compassionate for once. "Just meet her, and we'll go from there. That's all I'll ask you to do."
    Missy glares at him. She hadn't gone through what she did - her heart transplant, facing her parents, searching their house as if they were criminals and she were serving a warrant, walking away from Morningside - just to be sectioned now. "I have moved on. I made my choice." Missy says with a hiss. "I swear by the darkness, I will tear anyone apart who tries to say otherwise." The anger is there in her voice, but it's clear she's in control of herself.

She's telling the truth. She has moved on. She could have had the adoption overthrown due to its illegality and taken Halifax from the only family he knew. Or she could have recanted, returned to the fold. Eventually been permitted to have a relationship with her son with his parents approval. She'd done neither of those things. She'd made the decision that she felt was best for Halifax and for herself.

What Jyarl is asking of her might undo the inner peace she'd finally found.

But what else was there to do? Missy's anger drops off of her. Fury wasn't in her nature. "Let's go meet her."

Motor Pool

Carl floats up to give Sunny a slow kiss before looking into her eyes. "Is that a yes?" He asks, knowing it was, but needing to hear her say it.
    "Yes, if you want it," Sunny says. She's a little hesitant, because she isn't sure she could give up her career like that. Of course Luke was more important, but as long as it was possible for her to have Luke and her machines, she wanted both.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-06-27 at 02:28 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #649

Courtyard

Courtyard

Mia just stands where she is. and she shakes her head. She never ever heared of this.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Motor Pool

"If you cleared it up, good."
    Jyarl says truthfully, not knowing that she had. "And not right now. In a few hours. She's sleeping at the moment. And Missy? Thanks."

Motor Pool

"I do."
    Carl says, wrapping his arms around Sunny's neck and giving his wife a tight hug. The Sirens all sigh happily at the sight before going back to playing with baby Luke.

Courtyard

"You forgot the "Sir", Harnel. Don't do it again, or you'll do 200 pushups as a warning." Edijar tells the dragonkin. "On "Earth" and many of it's alternate realities, the Roman Empire was, and sometimes remains, one of the greatest military empires in existence. It spanned over much of the globe and lasted approximately 500 years in some realities. In others, for millenia. In most, this was accomplished through one means." Edijar starts.

"Soldiers. Highly trained soldiers specializing in mass formations, tactics, and squad combat. When their enemies fell before them, they were mere warriors in most cases. The difference? A soldier and a warrior might sound alike, but they are very different careers. A warrior is a fighter who fights as an individual. A soldier is a fighter who is trained primarily to fight as a group more so than just him or herself. While a warrior might be better trained or skilled than the average soldier, a group of soldiers will nearly always be better than a group of warriors."

"That is what you all are. Warriors. I don't care how skilled any of you are right now. Forget it. You are here to learn to fight as a group. Screw personal honor or glory. Throw out all the ideals about charging into battle first. Those are things that will simply get you killed. The fact that some of you are standing in front of me shows just how lucky you are to reach this point. You're all individuals used to fighting individual battles."

"But here, I am going to change that. If you do everything I say, you might actually learn to work as a group so when you stand against the next Apoca-Horror, you'll be able to stare it right in the eyes and make it break upon your shield wall."

At that, the Instructor smirks a bit. "Which is the first thing you're going to learn. Arla?" He asks the priestess. She smiles and grabs a box, passing to each of the Watchtower members a small cylinder the size of their palm, and a small gray block that has a button and handle on it. "Any questions before we begin in earnest?"

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

Outside the Motor Pool

"I'll see you at 1500 then," Missy says. And she heads off.

Courtyard

"No questions, Sir," Darcy says, as she listens, and then takes the items from Arla.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Interview Room

"In a way. I have a... machine, that maps such things. Most recently, I fought for the Imperial Legions in the fall of Thessoloniki," Teq explains, stone-faced as ever.
    Interview Room

Gustav doesn't ask for further clarification on that topic. "Do you have experience fighting in groups? Ranging from squads to larger forces?"

[Courtyard]

"No Sir." Yazon says. He stands a little straighter as the memory of his old military training comes back to him. It's been quite a few years since he's been part of the military, and even longer since he's been in training like this, but the memories are still fresh. The dwarf accepts the items given to him without another word.

23. - Top - End - #653

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    Interview Room

Gustav doesn't ask for further clarification on that topic. "Do you have experience fighting in groups? Ranging from squads to larger forces?"
    "Both. I have experience leading units from squads up to whole companies," Vul says, hoping company is a term on this planet. He crosses his arms and watches Gustav to see how he'll react.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-06-28 at 11:10 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #654

Courtyard

As Edijar finishes speaking the mage turns to her husband and gives him a quick hug before she leaves. "Good luck, try not to get in trouble now." She says before walking off into the building.

She was pretty glad not having to deal with this military training, she had never liked their kind of discipline which seemed to be the same everywhere. Harnel and Edijar were military men however and she had to respect them for that even if she felt no love for their institution she knew that the military were needed. She just wished they weren't, all this felt too much like brainwashing to her. People trained to follow the obey of an commander like dogs obeying their master. No doubt, no hesitation, just following orders.

Ceeise shakes her head, I better not think about it. She could be wrong after all, what she knew about the military mostly came from the court of eldritch which she knew despised the them. Perhaps she would get a more objective view of the military here.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

[Courtyard]

Harnel returns Cessie's hug with a smile before getting back into standing at attention. He'll take the cyllinder without comment.

What Edijar said was true; it's simply how Harnel had been operating for the past... was it ten years now? My, how time flies, "No questions, Sir."

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

[Courtyard]

No, sir. While inside, Wenomir is not happy about being talked down to by Edijar, he manages to swallow his pride.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

"Both. I have experience leading units from squads up to whole companies," Vul says, hoping company is a term on this planet. He crosses his arms and watches Gustav to see how he'll react.
    [Interview Room]

Gustav seems... mildly surprised. He hadn't gotten that impression from what he'd previously said.

"I think that's all I need. I see no reason you shouldn't be able to join."

((I'm going to have to pause to consult with Wolfy on something before my nex post.))

28. - Top - End - #658

[Interview Room]

"Then how do I start?" Says Teq, standing up from his chair. The poor piece of furniture groans thankfully. He grabs his hat and plops it back on his head.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #659

[Courtyard]

Mia just shakes her head and takes the tools they get.

Befor she takes on any of them she scan's them to see if they have any mechanical, technical or magical effects.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Courtyard

Mia will find the devices to be technologically advanced, and if she looks, will see Edijar holding out the handled block. "This is the deployable riot shield that Remnants have attached in their armor. It is bullet and laser resistant, capable of defending against many magics, is light and comes with the ability to provide an electrical shock." He says before pressing the button. After a moment, a dark smokey colored plexiglass looking shield deploys, standing 5.5ft tall and 3ft wide with a small curve to it. It's stripped with metal bands on the front and small nodes that seem to crackle with electricity. "And this is a compact combat spear." He says before holding out the cylinder and giving it a squeeze, making it extend into a 8ft long metal spear. "These are standard issue to many of the companies, and are likely the simplest pair of weapons to learn together. Even if you know how to use them, the first step is to refresh yourself." He explains.

"The first real step to becoming a squad is to learn to depend on one another just as much as you depend on yourself. To do this, you're going to be taught how to form an effective Shield Wall. It's one of the simplest methods for a group of people to defend themselves, but it's also one that makes it so your personal safety relies just as much on your ally as on yourself. If you all will deploy your shield and spear, I'll call out a squad to show how it's done."

[HQ - Vas' Office]

Once Cessie gets past the front desk, she'll be directed to Vas' office. Vasquez looks up from her paperwork and nods to the other chair. "What can I help you with, Councilor?" Vasquez asks.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2012-07-01 at 04:41 PM.