New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

Jon smiled a little, wondering if Talmage’s next question would be about his relationship with his mother, but decided to play it safe and answer seriously.

“Well, I don’t know if it qualifies as a revelation or anything, but it was a nice to know that there might be other Changelings that like the same things I do. I mean, when I was playing ping pong with Charlene I felt... normal... for just a little while. I still had the horns and everything, of course, but I wasn’t thinking about it so much anymore.”
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #782
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Jon smiled a little, wondering if Talmage’s next question would be about his relationship with his mother, but decided to play it safe and answer seriously.

“Well, I don’t know if it qualifies as a revelation or anything, but it was a nice to know that there might be other Changelings that like the same things I do. I mean, when I was playing ping pong with Charlene I felt... normal... for just a little while. I still had the horns and everything, of course, but I wasn’t thinking about it so much anymore.”
    "This may just be my bias talking, but am I right in saying that today you felt happy about being back? Rather than angry that you were taken?" Talmage said, spreading his arms.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Jon scratched slowly at his chin and neck, considering. “I guess I did feel happier. It was something familiar, after all the craziness with Cludge and my fetch...”

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle couldn't keep a small, hidden, smile from appearing on her face as she watched Talmage reel Jon in like a fish in a net.

[I got nothin to addddddddd ]

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene joined Isabelle in watching, thoughts silently drifting through her mind as she absentmindedly turned the card between her fingers.

Spring was about joy, joy that it was over, joy at being back, and hope for the future. Charlene could hope, and she hoped to help others, but it was in the knowledge that the world was fundamentally a pretty bad place. That was why you needed help, and helped others, because the world was out to get you and that was never going to change. She could also feel joy. It had been nice to play table tennis with Jon, but it was not a joy at finally being free, and seeing better days ahead. It was ... the strange but overpowering joy of the hunt. The beating of blood, when you knew that you were still alive ... right this instant, at least.

Summer was about wrath, anger at what had been done, anger at the world. It was not an emotion Charlene could identify with. She mourned, but didn't feel anger. It had possibly been the easiest court to rule out for her. She didn't feel anger. The world didn't care that you raged at it, it served no purpose.

Autumn was about ... fear, the fear that darker times were ahead. Charlene could sympathize with that. She still wondered if she had truly escaped, if the hunt was still on. But ... it wasn't fear she felt. Even during the hunt fear was pushed aside. Instinct took over, clarity and determination. You ran or hid, or if all else failed you fought, you didn't stop to fear. Not for a moment.

That was what Winter was about to her. Survival and certainty. The hunt might still be on, it might be lying in wait, or it might have passed over, but what was certain was that the world didn't care what you thought. The world was cruel, uncaring. There was no hell, only life and the eternal Heaven for those who made it.

Things would never be the same, and you couldn't afford to look back. Never look back. Charlene knew she couldn't face the past. Deep down, she knew it was lost to her.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-06-27 at 06:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #786

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Jon scratched slowly at his chin and neck, considering. “I guess I did feel happier. It was something familiar, after all the craziness with Cludge and my fetch...”
    "Does anything here make you feel angry?" Talmage said, waving his hands. "Do you want revenge? Do you want to inflict violence on those who done did you wrong? Does the thought about the life ahead of you fill you with anger?

"Because kid, to me, you look like you've got a lot of hope in you." Talmage said.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

A smile began to pull at Jon’s features as he realized what Talmage was getting at. “No, I’m not really angry. I mean, maybe I am sort of angry with my Keeper, but I don’t really want revenge; I just don’t want him to hurt anyone again, and I want my family to be safe.”
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-06-28 at 12:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #788

"You're also smiling. Too many -" Talmage shot a glance at Felix "- of the people I know can't bring themselves to do even that. I think that's also a pretty big hint there."

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle nodded along with Jon's words, particularly the last sentiment. There was a subtle difference between the two of them in the emotions underlying the thought, but they could both at least agree that protecting others from the Fae was a cause worth believing in.

Noticing Talmage's change of subject, she wondered if Jon would question the Spring court's stance on the issue though.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Troll in the Playground

“I guess you're right - even though I might play some games with its members and hang out with them, Summer really isn’t the right Court for me,” Jon said as he looked toward Talmage.

“I came back because I wanted to see my family again; I wanted to see that they were ok, and I still hope that one day I can find my place with them, even if I don’t know what that looks like right now. If the Spring Court can help me toward that, then that’s the Court I want to join.” His voice was firm, although the traces of his smile were still lingering at the corners of his mouth.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #791

"Then welcome aboard, kid." Talmage said with a grin. "It's a brand new day."

There was a breath of fresh air, and a strange tingle in the tips of Jon's feet. A sense of being awake, of potential, a feeling like jumping out of bed in the morning and not having the tiniest bit of fatigue about you. Like today was going to mean something.

[Jon: Mantle of Spring +1]

"We meet up every week or so at The Cage, it's a nightclub in the middle of town. Usually during the day. I'll show you around and tell you what we can do for you once you're there."

12. - Top - End - #792
    Troll in the Playground

Spring’s energy was infectious, and so was Talmage’s. When the Prince spoke, Jon felt for just a moment like he could climb Mt. Everest or swim to the bottom of the sea and still be back in time for dinner.

The feeling faded rapidly, but a flicker of that energy remained to buzz around inside his head - it made him feel more excited than he had since he’d first glimpsed the city lights after they’d stumbled from the Hedge. He promised himself that he’d visit the nightclub as soon as possible, excited by the prospect that the other members of the Court might be able to help him get his sister back, at least.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

Talmage favoured Jon with another of his trademark grins before he turned his attention away from the newly minted Spring courtier.

"And what about you, kiddo? Any insights today that you want to share?" He asked Isabelle.

"Summer." She replied, her voice subdued, but firm. "And not from anything today, but yesterday." The smile slid off her face as she shifted her gaze away from Talmage.

"I thought it might be Spring when we first got here. It almost seemed ideal; happiness, shelter and through that ... freedom from the things we've all brought back with us." She went on, her expression distant. "But I think I began to realise, that afternoon ... it's just not for me."

"There's nothing more that I want than for people to have that kind of freedom, to live that kind of life. But I don't think I could live with myself if I chose it as my own path."

She looked back at Talmage as she continued. "And there's what you were saying earlier, about wrath. If I'm really honest with myself, when I think about all the lost lives, the damage and the ruined potential that the Fae inflicted when they took us ... well it does make me angry."

"It's probably a decision that will come around to bite me, heaven knows I'm not much in a fight, not like Vorel at least. But that problem is for me to deal with regarding the court, not the season." She crossed her arms as she finished, as if daring someone to make a comment on her choice.

14. - Top - End - #794

"Hey," Talmage said, raising his hands to show he was not going to comment on her decision, "Some days you just gotta punch a guy, I understand that. Summer Court holds monthly paintball tournaments at Amy Acre's farm, next one is this weekend. You can go and meet everyone there."

There was no sense of reassurance, though. The defiance she was feeling didn't progress into anger but it didn't sink back into acceptance either. A little fragment of that would remain with Isabelle, a little part that dared the world to try and stop her.

[Isabelle: Mantle of Summer +1]

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

While Isabelle’s decision was made and her Mantle announced, Jon’s smile remained in place, and afterward, he gave her a friendly pat on the back that showed more empathy than some of his recent behavior.

“So, will you play basketball with me, then?”

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hah, okay" Isabelle chuckled, relieved that a particular butler wasn't making any snarky comments on their choices.

"I'm not that good, but one of my friends taught me the fundamentals; 'put the ball in the hoopy-thing' still applies right?" She smiled at Jon, before turning to Charlene. "You want to come too, Charlene?"

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene considered a nearby clock. "Sure. I need to find a bit of quiet first, but I'll catch up with you in half an hour. Should give you time to get warmed up," she said and walked down the hall towards her room.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

“Yeah, the hoopy-thing is still important,” Jon said, laughing. “We can go shoot around a little while we wait on Charlene. Is there a court somewhere nearby?” The last question was directed toward Talmage and Vorel.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #799

"Yeah, just pull the hoops out of the Summer storage room," Talmage said, gesturing vaguely, "Felix, get on that would you?"

"As you command, master," Felix said, vanishing around a corner immediately.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

Jon turned to follow after Felix, and made an exaggerated, gentlemanly motion for Isabelle to go on ahead, clearly still in a good mood after officially joining his new Court.

While they walked, he thought over his upcoming meeting with Jessica. It struck him that he didn’t feel nervous about it at the moment, and instead he half-believed that she would hear him out and come over to his side of the whole mess as soon as he showed up.

It would be good to get his family back.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene returned to her room, folded up a blanket and lay it on the floor before kneeling down to pray. For five years she had done her best to show her devotion as she knew she should, five times every day at the right times. Dedication was paramount.

The number had been easy. Most days when all she had were the foxes there hadn't been much to keep her from it. But the timing ... did it even make sense to think of time back there? But she had done her best.

Now that she had returned and was slowly getting back into life and a proper time, she could do it right.

She closed her eyes and sought the words. Instead she found herself thinking of all the things that could never be again, and all that she could never be again. She tried to speak a few words, but her voice broke instead. She breathed out and let the tears flow freely, not holding back as she gave herself over to the great emptiness that suddenly welled up inside of her. It felt good.

She didn't get a word spoken, just sat there crying for half an hour in the silence of her room and sight of God. When finally the tears began to fade, she stood up, took a moment to freshen herself up a bit, then left the room and went to find the others.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle returned Jon's gesture with a half curtsy and a roll of her eyes. Trotting along behind Felix, she was already thinking ahead to the game. It had been a very long time since she'd last played ... but she was going to score the crap out of that hoopy thing.

23. - Top - End - #803

By the time they arrived at the court, everything was already set up somehow. Felix had evidently dragged two heavy portable basketball hoops over fifty meters in less than one minute. He was already heading back in the other direction, showing no sign of fatigue or anything other than his customary disdain.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Jon watched as Felix departed. He still wasn’t sure if the man was using magic or just happened to be abnormally good at his job, but he remained impressed, even if he found the butler’s demeanor off-putting.

Picking up the basketball that lay nearby and passing it from hand to hand experimentally, he turned to Isabelle. “How about a quick game of horse or something to warm up?”

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uhh. Ok." Isabelle replied, eyeing the hoops uncertainly, and remembering just how long it had been since she last played. "Maybe I should have a handicap ... a longer word? You can have Horse ... I'll take Antidisestablishmentarianism!"

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

Jon looked nonplussed for a moment, before his smile returned. “Ok, sure, but I get first shot!”

Taking the basketball, he lined up a shot in the three-point range, then let it fly. The motions felt good, if a little rusty, and he marveled again that he finally had his human body back as the ball arced through the air.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle meanwhile, was reintroduced to the frustrating concept of overcorrection. Her first shot went left, her second right, her third over the top ...

"I need to learn to dunk" she muttered, darkly, as she lined up for a fourth attempt, "maybe then I wouldn't have to worry about aiming so much.:

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene returned a little later, trying to get her dress to not be in the way of her legs. "These dresses are quite nice for fancy balls, I'm sure, but not much good in basketball." Charlene enjoyed the awfulness of her little pun before looking to the others. "What's the score?"

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

"Jon's on 'O', I'm on 'R'." Isabelle replied, wincing slightly at Charlene's punnage "which means I'm only losing by about 22 to 2."

"Want a shot?" she continued, offering the ball.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene nodded and picked up the ball, weighing and turning it in her hands as she considered the 'hoopy thing'. With great care and precision she threw the ball. It rolled around on the edge of the hoop, then sadly tipped the wrong way. "Damn it"

[Another thing I know absolutely nothing about. Good thing Charlene probably didn't play a lot of basketball either]