New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting For Rain IC: Spring Slowly Comes

""Hey Ash?" Isabelle called out, before the other girl could go.

"Thanks ... Catch you 'round, alright?"

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    ""Hey Ash?" Isabelle called out, before the other girl could go.

"Thanks ... Catch you 'round, alright?"
    "Yeah. You're alright," said Ashley as she left.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene waved briefly as Ashley left.

"Sounds like a plan," she then said to Isabelle and Jon

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ettin in the Playground

"Right, lets get this done then." Isabelle replied, walking to the exit and looking around, seeing if she could spot Jess anywhere nearby.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Troll in the Playground

Jon craned his neck to search for his sister over Isabelle's shoulder. He hoped they hadn't been gone so long that she'd decided to head back to the bar; dealing with the wolves wasn't something he was looking forward to twice in one day.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

6. - Top - End - #1056

Jessica was, thankfully, immediately outside. "What the hell are you doing, Matt? Who are all these people? Is this a joke?" she said, having had just enough time and distance to get angry.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Troll in the Playground

Jon looked apologetic, but determined. "I'm sorry Jess, I didn't handle that as well as I might have. I promise this isn't a trick; my friends here, Isabelle and Charlene," here he gestured to the two women accompanying him, "they're like me, or like I am now, basically..."

Jon realized that now would be a good time for his friends to help convince Jessica he wasn't crazy or a prankster.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, for certain definitions of "like" I suppose." Isabelle replied, holding out a hand. "Isabelle Keene, nice to meet you Jess."

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

"We're friends of Jon. I'm Charlene," she said, also offering a friendly hand after Isabelle. "We met each other recently, and it's all been very difficult, to say the least. It would make a very poor joke for all of us."

10. - Top - End - #1060

"Mike, don't you have a fiancée? Why are you hanging around with three random girls?" Jess said, not biting.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-09-02 at 07:01 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Troll in the Playground

"I-I do?" Jon looked genuinely surprised here; he hadn't noticed the girl with his fetch, or at least he hadn't processed the significance of it in the confusion of his homecoming.

"The last girl I remember dating was Maria, but that was freshman year. We had that nasty breakup and I swore I'd make really sure I didn't end up with someone crazy next time, so I took some time off from romantic stuff..." His eyes were searching, and the memories felt half like a dream, but at the same time he knew they were his real memories.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle's felt her smile slip slightly at Jess' unexpected rudeness. Tramping down the urge to snap something impolite in return, she glanced at her companions, hoping they could salvage the situation first.

13. - Top - End - #1063

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    "I-I do?" Jon looked genuinely surprised here; he hadn't noticed the girl with his fetch, or at least he hadn't processed the significance of it in the confusion of his homecoming.

"The last girl I remember dating was Maria, but that was freshman year. We had that nasty breakup and I swore I'd make really sure I didn't end up with someone crazy next time, so I took some time off from romantic stuff..." His eyes were searching, and the memories felt half like a dream, but at the same time he knew they were his real memories.
    "Joeline, remember? Tall, redhead, always on the phone? Your co-worker?" She shook her head. "Look, Mike, I think I know what this is about. That weirdo jumped you the other day in your house and you're freaking out about it. You should just take it easy."

She seemed to be quite adamant that this was the way things were, possibly because of the alternative being what it was.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle rubbed her forehead, it felt like they were going backwards here.

"Look," she tried again, picking her words carefully "what if we knew who that 'wierdo' was?"

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Troll in the Playground

Jon glanced quickly between Isabelle and his sister, "Yeah, we might be able to explain that."

Despite his words, a part of him was reluctant - afraid Jess might misunderstand this news as well...

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1066

"Uh, right. Who?" she said suspiciously.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene looked between Isabelle and Jon. That little offer probably narrowed down the options a little. Maybe this was a good ... a better point, at least, to break in. "Can I speak with you two, for just a sec?"

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle folded her arms and shrugged.

"No problems here." She said, looking at Jon.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

"Sure Charlene, what's on your mind?" Jon moved in closer to his sister and his friend, still a little on-edge over the whole messy situation. He was doing his best to think things over and be reasonable this time, though.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-09-04 at 11:42 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

"Only a moment," Charlene said and led Jon away from the others, still within sight but far enough that a quiet voice wouldn't be heard. She left Isabelle to either follow or stay with Jess.

"I realize it may not be easy to back out now," she said quietly and quickly once they were out of range. "But are you sure you really want your sister to know? Even if you can convince her you're not crazy, it may be too much for her to take. It's going to cause a lot of pain for both of you. Perhaps it's better to take Ashley's advice and let her think you just got a bad scare because of some weirdo, then find a way to deal with the fetch without involving your family. At least that way it's only you who suffer the knowledge of what happened. If you do decide to bring her into this, you're going to need something much better than your honest word. Just look how easily she shrugged off what she's just seen with her own two eyes. That's what you're up against. You need a safe and sure way to show her, maybe if she sees both of you together, or you could make a pledge somewhere safe, it's your choice just ... please think hard about what it'll do to her life. And if you fail, she'll think you're out of your mind for sure."

This whole mess had her seeing disaster around every corner. And all she could do was offer advice. It was terrible.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle had followed along, listening to Charlene's words and, for the large part, nodding along in agreement. While she hadn't articulated her thoughts quite so clearly, she'd been instinctively cautious in dealing with Jess due to the impact the truth would have on her.

"Yeah, it's not going as smoothly as I'd hoped so far, that's for sure. But it's your family, your life, your decision Jon. I'm just here to help."

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Troll in the Playground

Jon's expression was strained; what his friends were saying was getting through, but he'd been holding on to this reunion as his guidepost through the Hedge and all the troubles that their return to the mortal world had brought. He was actually a little frightened to let it go, not sure he wanted to find out where things might take him if he simply let himself drift.

"Ok, just... give me a sec to think about it, alright?" He spoke slowly and his eyes kept darting over to where his sister stood, trying to read her expression.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1073

Jess was looking increasingly irritated at this crypticness with intermittent group huddles.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

"Take your time" Isabelle replied, glancing back to Jon's sister. "Although little miss prissy there is starting to annoy me."

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey, easy!" Jon frowned as he said it, but the expression was distracted and conveyed no real anger. After just a moment more, he spoke again, "Ok, I guess we should back out for now... I thought this was going to be easier, since it was Jess, but I guess I'm still in over my head... I'm going to have to talk to someone or think it over, or something, if I want to make any progress..."

Jon looked a little downcast, and he made a move to return to where his sister stood, glancing between his friends as he did so.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1076

"Have you figured it out yet?" said Jess, more than a little exasperated at this point.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabelle kept quiet, letting Jon do his bit but staying nearby for support.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah... it was, ah, a friend of mine from work. He's really into pranks, but he kind of picked a bad time, y'know? I've been kind of stressed lately... sorry for acting so weird about it all. Maybe... maybe once I get things settled with him we can have a real, normal talk, ok?"

The lie hurt, and it wasn't very good, but he really didn't know how far he wanted to push his sister at this point, after what the others had said. Things weren't going at all like the scene he'd planned out in his mind, and maybe the smartest thing was to pull back for now. It was certainly true that his sister's doubt was upsetting, and more than a little embarrassing...

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1079

"All right. Look... thanks for coming clean. You should take a break, Mike. Those nightmares have had you jumpy for weeks," Jess said, voice softening a bit.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

Charlene relaxed. Things were probably better this way. Like Isabelle she stayed silent, but supportive.