New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Keeva

"That'd be good. Think they'd accept a month's rent in advance? The whole crafting thing can get really time consuming, and I forget things from time to time." Keeva says, taking another apple out of her bag. "It'd also be nice to cook again, now that I think about it."
    Just finding my roots again.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

"Members of my Order don't generally go for much in the way of owning property," Aya says with a quick grin. "I'll probably move in to the temple sooner rather than later, but I'm not going to have much room there; I'm just an auxiliary." And really, the longer she could legitimately avoid contact with the rest of the Order, the better off she'd likely be. No point in seeking privilege she didn't need.

"It sounds like a good deal, Miri; you've got a lot of connections here, yeah? I need to get a nondimensional quiver, as it happens; make that your first priority when you're looking around, and we'll call the favour from the Cybrarvain matter settled."

Spoiler
    Show
    ...assuming Mirielle doesn't charge a commission on that one, anyway.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

The nearest village is only a short distance away, and though the two unconscious Blues and the parts of your vast booty not fitting in your extradimensional storage weigh on your shoulders, you reach your destination soon enough. It seems the villagers keep an active lookout, and once they notice you're coming from the direction of the dam but look distinctly not-goblin a commotion seems to start and the people gather at the edge of the settlement. A group of three slightly older men detach from the throng and approach you, meeting you aa short distance outside the village. Seeing the goblins slung over your backs they stare in disbelief for a long moment before finding their voice. "It can't be... Is it over? Many a night have we prayed for brave heroes to relieve us."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

It was tempting to make a witty reply to a line like that, but Aya really didn't need to be publicly connected to this job; it was just easier that way. She remains quiet at the back of the group, hood drawn up to shade her eyes from the morning sun (and quite incidentally hide her face from the crowd.) No doubt the others could finish their business with the incredulous villagers soon enough.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus smiles slightly, glad he correctly gauged the desire of the townsfolk... "No, it's not over yet, but it shall be soon. The goblins have been driven out; all that remains is to repair the damage they did. That shouldn't take more than a week or so; we're going to fetch supplies for that now."
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

"What do you mean, repairs?" the man in the middle asks in confusion. "Is there a reason you didn't open the dam yet? We had paid those bastards to open it again in two days, and I must confess the water is sorely needed. The remaining wells don't give quite enough of it."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"The only way we could prevent the goblins from flooding this entire town was to damage the mechanism that opens the gate. I sympathize with your need for water, but you can rest assured that the shortage you have now will be the last. If you like, when we arrive in Ravens Bluff, I can acquire water in barrels, a wagon, and a couple horses to carry it back. It may not be as much as you desire, but would that last until we can get the waters flowing from the dam again?"

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

"I fear that may not be soon enough", the greyhaired man says, his previous relief quickly changing to concern. "We rationed the reserves we had to last until the next opening of the dam, maybe a day longer if those blasted goblins decided to make us suffer a bit more for extra payment... Can't the opening mechanism be repaired, or at least a hole beaten into the damned thing without bringing the whole structure down? If we can't get access to the creek I fear we need to take as much lifestock as we can and lead them west to the Fire River."

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva comes up behind Magnus, whispering into his ear. "Oi. Oi oi oi. Hold on. I might be able to work something out on the dam. That thing I did on the ship with the stairs? I can do the same thing in reverse. I'll just need some time to do it up proper, if at all."

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Most of the water stowed by the dam drained away in the night, but there is still some of it left, enough to ensure a steady flow for perhaps a couple of hours. The winch proves not to be broken beyond repair, and with skill, a couple of carpenter tools and strong rope you get it back into working condition.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Once it's clear it will be repairable, I'll head straight back to the nearest hamlet, and speak to the villagers.

"The water should be flowing shortly, but the repairs won't be long term. That will be enough to get you a week's worth of water, long enough for us to effect a permanent solution. How much did you pay the goblins for water this time?"

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

"An ox, two sheep, two lambs, a dozen chicken, and a good amount of apples, bread and so on. Two hundred gold in coin or valuables. The other villages paid a similar sum I believe", the village elder now known to you as Orman answers.

"On behalf of all of us, you and yours have our thanks, but there is something I have to ask you", he continues, quickly glancing left and right to see if he's overheard. "The goblins had two scouting groups, and the leader of one of them was riding a massive wolf, black fur and glowing red eyes. Did... did you perhaps encounter and slay the beast? We all would sleep better knowing that monster dead, and hopefully it would give Garrock some closure. He's been... changed after the tragedy with his family."

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus nods briefly, replying, "Yes, we encountered such a beast. An entire scouting group, actually, perhaps a half dozen in number. None survived the meeting.

In addition, we were able to recover some wealth from the goblins. I don't know how much in the way of profits they reaped from you, but I will see the worth of your most recent payment restored to your township. I imagine you have other things that you would prefer to spend it on.
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't worry, I intend to pull the restored funds exclusively from Magnus's share.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle has been quiet, considering the situation and debating whether attacking the leader had been the correct decision. She's almost certain it was, but the pity she feels for these farmers still gnaws at her.

"We should, I think, leave for the city," she says quietly. "There is little we can do here without those scrolls." She looks at Magnus, trying to decide whether she can trust him with the task she has in mind. "I can remain here until nightfall and at least fill their troughs so the water from the reservoir will stretch a bit longer. Will you and the others take the prisoners on ahead, and keep them alive, and I will catch you up tomorrow?"
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus nods, convinced he cannot do much here. "I can do this. So long as they do not find a way to regain consciousness and attack us, they shall be alive when I see you next."

Then, turning to Orman, he says, "It looks like I shall be in Ravens Bluff soon. Is there anything your village requires? Anything that will aid you in the coming weeks?"

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank the gods. We'll all rest more easily knowing that savage monster dead", the elder says. "Garrock was trying to bring the harvest in early instead of staying dependent on the goblins. Then in the night, we heard screams. By the time we arrived it was too late. I'll never forget those demonic eyes over the bloodred muzzle burning into me... If not for the scraps of clothing, we wouldn't even have been able to tell the remains were..." He breaks off, shaken by the memory. "It may be over, but we payed a dear price, and the gold is the least of it. I wish we could reward all of you for your deed, but I'm afraid we can't even refuse you giving us back some of what the goblins extorted.

But while we can offer no coin, we can still express our thanks. Highharvestide is in only a few days, and we'd the glad to have you as our guests of honor."

_________

The trip back and forth to the city on horse is fast, moreso on a forced march. The hole in the ground leading diagonally downward, about 200 feet upwards of the dam, is easily found with the water draining down and the magic from the scroll easily seals it, letting the creek flow free again as it used to.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I wouldn't even consider taking any reward from you. You have paid quite enough as is, to those goblin wretches. If they ever return, I will hear of it, and they will regret doing so.

I cannot speak for my companions, but I would be honored to take part in Highharvestide.
    "

Since the time is so short until Highharvestide, Magnus will stay in the area, camping in his tent at night, and assisting the hamlet during the day, as much as relatively untrained hands can.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, if we must. I suppose we can at least put some time into watching for that second patrol, although I'd expect them to have caught up with the rest." With a small sigh, Aya withdraws some distance out of hearing. She neither wanted nor needed recognition for her... extracurricular activities; the only reputation she had an interest in building was as a dutiful member of the Order, and that was going to be somewhat damaged by her tardiness. At the least, she could hope to get a message going in the right direction, although the Order's makeshift communication network was less than useful for contacting a specific person.

Drawing upon her connection to the Weave, she picks out a faintly glowing strand, part of the web that connects every adherent Mystra officially recognizes. "Cast: If you're in Ravens Bluff, please inform Kerson at the Halls of Mystery that Llewellyn's return will be delayed an additional week."

In the days before the festival, Aya experiments further with Mystra's blessings, using her magic to obtain a mental map of the area and watching likely approaches for any probes by the remaining goblin scouts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Weavespeak to send a message. Will cast Lay of the Land to get a map of a 50 mile radius (I think), and spend some time watching a few likely-looking spots from hiding.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

"I would be honored as well," Mirielle says. She, like Magnus, stays in her tent and does what she can to help the villagers, whether with spell or with arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know that there's a great deal she can do with spells to help out, but I think each sunset, just before regaining spells, she'll cast omen of peril since that's the most likely time for an attack.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-06-19 at 03:51 PM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Sure." Jorran answers to the elder's suggestion. He didn't really have any experience with agricultural festivals, but he guessed that it'd be a decent diversion at least.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Keeva

Keeva nods and smiles in acceptance, satisfied with her handiwork. This'd be the last rest, she figured, before she had to start cracking down on the Heart.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

The villagers prove very welcoming, and anyone preferring a soft bed and a roof over their head is invited into the old reeve seat, the only stone building in the village.

With Highharvest around the corner there is a lot of work to do, and Magnus's offer to lend a helping hand is gladly accepted. The day before the celebration, he helps one of the older men who accompanied Orman bring in the grain, and after a while the conversation stops being casual. "You're a good lad, Magnus", he opens, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "Strong, brave, and upstanding. You remind me of my own son; but while he too took up arms against he goblins instead of submitting, he lacked your prowess. We lost a lot of our young folk, call them reckless or valorous, in the end they're still dead. I'm getting old, and I have no one to pass my farmland to. I know this is forward, but I talked to my daughter Selina, and she wants to give it a chance. Not arranged marriage of course, but if you two should find affection for each other and you want to settle down... If the villages work together we can set up a small smithy for you, and I know everyone here will always hold you in high regard."

Aya's trance is troubling for some nights, though she can't remember any unusual scenes like before. But sometimes, when arriving at a different memory, she feels a short moment of puzzlement; a human would describe it as the feeling when upon waking up the previously clear images of your dreams fade away into nothingness.

At the night before the celebration, she again finds herself on the steps to the deck of the Arianna, unbidden. Moving up, she again sees herself in conversation with Asam, their shapes in stark contrast to the bank of pure blackness behind the ship...
    Only now she realizes this isn't what was chasing them. It's not what her eyes had seen, but her mind refused to let her really see what she was looking at.
    She fixed her gaze on the darkness, willing herself to look past the illusion, to see what is there."You're not real", she whispers, and as if in response the black mass starts to writhe and twist into an everchanging glop of darkness, until finally the black mass settles into the shape of a human skeleton, wearing a cape that looks like it's made from everflowing grey mud and illuminated from the inside as if a miniature sun was burning there.
    And in a booming voice that could shatter mountains it whispers - whispers - "And neither are you." With that, Aya is jerked back into consciousness, her scream of pure terror echoing far and wide.

Spoiler
    Show
    imagine the final form of Hexxus in Ferngully*

* Mostly mediocre movie. Just saying cause otherwise it might seem I reccommend watching it.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus is rather surprised by the older man's forthrightness, but he ponders for a moment in silence, before replying. "I must admit, this reminds me much of the small town I lived in when I was a smith in Zhent. I left there after the loss of my wife... at the hands of goblinkin. I came to Ravens Bluff, looking to further my smithing... But Raven's Bluff is not a town that I understand. Everything is too noisy, too chaotic.

I would be honored to build a smithy here, though I insist on getting the supplies and such from Ravens Bluff. It will save much work in the gathering of masonry and wood, time which can be better spent elsewhere, with families and harvest.

I must admit, all of my skill in smithing lies in armor and weapons. I couldn't make a horseshoe if my life depended on it. Still I remember the rudimentary aspects of it from my father's teaching, and am sure that, given a bit of time, I could pick it up. Until then, I can purchase what I need from Ravens Bluff, and sell armor in the city.

I've not given much thought to women, since Sarah passed. Howver, I have seen Selina around the village, and even spoken to her once. She is pleasing to talk to, and I enjoy her company. That is as good a start as any.
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    Magnus will use his share of the treasure to found the smithy, and get initial supplies. Anything extra, he'll likely invest into gems.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus, the village

At the sound of the scream, Magnus is out of his tent in a flash, pausing only to grab his shield, before jogging towards the sound at a hustle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magnus will be looking fairly ridiculous, in undergarments and a big arse heavy shield.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Aya awakens thoroughly shaken and faintly embarrassed, although neither condition is much in evidence on her viridian skin. That wasn't like me. But then again, it's not often you see something like... that.

The sound of running footsteps makes her suddenly quite glad of her habit of sleeping lightly dressed, and she crawls out of her bedroll, grasping the wall of her tent as it folds back into a cloak and wraps itself around her; by the time Magnus reaches her camp, she is seated cross-legged on the ground, the concealing fabric wrapped around her and the hood up.

She glances up as he approaches, raising an eyebrow. "Your alacrity is admirable, but you can get dressed. I'll wait."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus frowns, shaking his head, "I heard a voice I knew screaming, and it reminded me... Never mind. Suffice it to say I am not in the habit of taking the time to adjust my shirt cuffs whilst people around me are dying. and if I go to my tent, my next task will be sleeping, not getting dressed for a meeting at this foul hour. I can listen without my armor... Though I do regret not taking my blanket, now. 'tis a bit brisk out here."

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

"I suppose it would be, for some." Aya slips a few fingers out of the cloak, brushing the enchanted fabric affectionately as she looks around at the pre-dawn light.

"Alright, then I guess we'll go prod Mirielle until she tells us what she thinks of your fashion sense." Rising carefully, she begins walking toward Mirielle's tent. "I saw something strange while I was trancing, and if I don't know what it was, we definitely need to ask the librarian."

"Miri!" she calls from outside the tent. "It's not morning yet, but wake up anyway."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle crawls out of her tent in her fluffy blue pajamas and stands up. "Whassamater?" she mumbles sleepily. Not wearing her glasses, she sees nothing strange about the now familiar silhouettes of Magnus and Aya.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Magnus gumpily grunts, " 'Whats the matter' is that we're awake at this blasted hour. However, since Aya's frantic screams have awakened half the town, the least we can do is humor her in finding out if there was any meaning behind them."

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

"Wha? Frantic screams? What happened, Aya?"