New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Mirielle's Apartment

"It's not a bad idea, but there are some things to watch for. First, is it the Thayans who want information on the greycloaks? We know Sorrow's got at least one other recent employer, and there could well be more. Second, he's not going to trust information gained easily, now that we've been so reluctant. If he's still interested, I'd expect him to cause, or at least credibly threaten, significant trouble for at least one of us before he tries asking again. Decide how long you're willing to live with that risk while you pursue your own projects." Aya sets the glass down and brushes back a stray lock of hair.

"I still like the idea of setting the watch on his place while he's away. More embarrassing for him, less risk for us, and we don't need to be directly involved to recover the goods. If he's still inclined to cause trouble after that, he's short a lever and some funds, and we haven't lost anything that would stop us from trying your second plan."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Alaister considers the elf's words, nodding slightly... "You may be right... But the only one he's seen be so reluctant is Jorran, right? Surely it wouldn't be too terribly suspicious if someone else were less loyal and more willing to bargain? I'm not saying we make it simple, but if one of us makes it clear we're not comfortable with the threat of Black Sorrow over us, I'm sure we could convince him we're more easily intimidated than our dauntless companion." Alaister takes a small sip of water, then continues. "By now, he knows most of this group's names and faces, most likely. If I were in his position, I'd likely try to kill one member of the group, to make it clear I was serious. Then I'd try to bargain again. We are certainly tertiary to his goal, so we'd fall into a 'collateral damage' category. So, if we don't deal with him now, I'd advise everyone to watch their backs, and try to stick to fairly public venues. At least until we've made it clear that we're willing to push back, and hard.

Of course, this is all speculation. I know... somewhat less about Black Sorrow's habits and tendencies than I'd like.
    "
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

Silverscales, Endelo's Tankard

One can only hope this is the worst pub around, because it is hard to imagine even lower standards. This old wooden tavern is frequented by sailors and other folk too poor to drink elsewhere and too tired for something other than the drunken, hushed stupor in here. The beer is watery, a bucket serves as toilet and the furniture is mismatched, likely pilfered from what others threw away. The only notably decent thing is the surprisingly sturdy wooden walls and central pillar to support the second floor. Outside, some simple stairs made from wooden logs about a foot in diameter cut in half lead up to an establishment called Talons Tattoo Parlor.

Spoiler
    Show
    about twenty people in there at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

"Then perhaps we should make acquiring that information our top priority. I will be spending much of my time for the foreseeable future at the Halls of Mystery, so perhaps you can use the fact that you're relatively unconnected to us to ferret out some more information."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mirielle's

"I will devote time to it, but I have some other lines of inquiry that I'm pursuing as well. I can focus on Black Sorrow for a couple days, though, and we'll see what comes of it."

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

"Mm, it might work. His lack of activity this far does make me wonder if he's still interested in us, though. Have you turned up anything regarding unrelated information he might be pursuing?"

"Well, either way, we should plan to make our first move when he next leaves town. It's an easy schedule to follow, and he'll probably be on his guard, but we don't have to go after him."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ogre in the Playground

Silverscales, Endelo's Tankard

Standing inside the doorway, Cael finds himself squinting as his eyes sweep the room. Is it the light? Could it be darker in here than it was outside? No... Perhaps it is the stench of place -- the distilled essence of filth that could not possibly be content in offending only a single sense. Whatever it is, there can be no doubt that Endelo's Tankard is one of the most miserable establishments Cael has ever had the displeasure of entering. And yet, it is exactly where he wants to be. With the slightest nod of approval, he makes his way across the room and toward the bar, hoping that in here, what little money he has left will carry him just a little bit further than it would anywhere else.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just looking to get a first impression of the barkeep before I start chattin' him up.
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-09-08 at 03:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mirielle's

Alaister frowns for a moment. "No, I haven't looked into Black Sorrow's current tasks and jobs, though, if he's as subtle with everyone as he is with Jorran, it shouldn't be terribly difficult. I'll see what I can dig up on his activities."

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle sighs and stretches. "That would give us the better part of a tenday to prepare," she says. "I've never planned a crime before, but I don't imagine it should be too difficult to manage in that time. Though, we do need to consider the building's owner in our plans"
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Mirelle's Apartment

"That's where using the watch comes in handy. If he objects, he implicates himself. Harbouring a criminal, and all. So he's more likely to stand aside and assume Sorrow's hidden his stuff well enough to avoid trouble. All we have to do is imply that they ought to look closely." After a slight pause, Aya smiles rather smugly. "Naturally, if he's left any nasty surprises for people who go snooping around, this gives the watch a personal stake in making sure he's inconvenienced, and even if they don't find Jorran's things, Sorrow ends up wanted anyway."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Alaister grins at Aya's words, before replying, "I like the way you think, but in my experience, town watches generally like to take control of such situations, and that means we may not get the information we seek. If we DO get the information, it still means too many other people know it also, and how it was obtained.

I prefer going in ourselves. Yes, it means we take the risk, but it also means we reap any rewards, and we can make sure that Black Sorrow's activities are as public or secret as we choose, based on what serves our interests best.

As for the owner? He would be lucky that we DON'T consider him. Anyone that harbors that assassin should count their blessings if all we do is break a lock or a window. Because if I were considering the just fate of someone who harbors agents of Thay, that cause mayhem in the streets, then I wouldn't consider a pleasant one.
    "

Alaister clears his throat, before continuing, "Of course, Jorran's choice should be the course we follow; after all, he is the reason we're even looking into Black Sorrow."

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mirielle's Apartment

"Let's keep the watch out of this as much as possible." Jorran says. "They suspect me already, and I told them more than I should have. I doubt that their presence will help us any, and they did say that I'll still be a criminal if I go after Black Sorrow, even if he attacked me first. First rule of crime. Do it outside the law."
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

Endelo's Tankard

The barkeep, a broadfaced man with receding hairline, gives Cael a disinterested look before pouring beer into a tankard. "Copper a piece. Five for some homebrewed whiskey."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

Endelo's Tankard

Cael eyes the tankard, and its contents, wearily. After a moment's hesitation, he replies, against his better judgement, "I'll try the whiskey." Setting a silver coin on the bartop, he adds, "And, if you can spare it, a moment of your time?"

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle is clearly uncomfortable with the idea, though she keeps her piece save for a quiet resigned sigh. For much of her life she'd assumed Justice the principle was best served by justice the process, but her experiences in Ylraphon had shown her that that wasn't always the case. She silently begs a prayer for guidance before standing and pouring another round of wine.

"If that's settled, shall we relate our meeting with the Lady of Mystery?" she asks Aya. "It concerns at least Jorran, and likely Alaister if he intends to remain in the city and our acquaintance. I can wake Keeva up too."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-09-10 at 08:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Endelo's Tankard

The barkeep pours a mostly clear liquid into another mug. "You can try, but don't expect me to sell information cheaper than anyone else because I do so with my beer."

Spoiler
    Show
    as for the drink... Remember the first time you tried neat and cheap vodka? Something like that.

Two FYIs:
    It's raining outside(both scenes)
    Keeva is sleeping a couple feet away from your conversation. I don't think she snores, but still.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

"You only need to follow the rules of crime if you're planning on committing one. But it's your enemy, even if the rest of are in on it by association. If you want to take care of it personally, that's your decision."

Aya keeps her seat, but declines a second glass. "Does it? As far as we can tell, the matter's unrelated to any of us. We just happened to find it. I've got a professional responsibility to deal with it, and I'm glad you're helping us, but while it's not that I don't trust them..." She glances to Alaister with a slight smile. "Or would it be more flattering if I said I shouldn't?"

With a casual tilt of her head, Aya returns her gaze to Mirielle. "Miri, all we've got right now are speculations, but they're dangerous speculations. I won't try to stop you from spreading the idea around if you want to, but it might be preferable to wait until we have a better idea of what's going on. After all, if we're right, there's probably no great hurry."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-09-10 at 09:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ogre in the Playground

Cael bows his head in concession. "Fair enough, but I will still hope you will sell information cheaper than anyone else, because that's likely all I can afford to pay." Grinning, he raises the mug to his mouth. "I don't know how much money you think I have." His grin widens. "I came here, after all." At that, he takes a sip of the barkeep's fiery concoction, exhaling the burn through his teeth. "So. Where would someone go to buy tekkil in this city?"

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

Endelo's Tankard

The man pushes five coppers over the counter. "Here's your change. Empty your mug and leave."

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, come on," Cael protests, making no motion toward the coin. "I'm sorry. It was a joke -- surely you've heard worse from better."

Spoiler
    Show
    Some dour barkeeps in Silverscales...

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

Endelo's Tankard

"Fine. I don't like to throw out paying customers. But you pay for drink. Not for talk of illegal stuff. Some officials would be happy enough to close this place down if I give them reason to."

Spoiler
    Show
    well, I did mention couple times Silverscales isn't welcoming to outsiders. And you're a stranger, asking where to buy drugs, and admitting you can't pay well. The first two make it hard to trust you. The third makes the risk very unappealing

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mirielle's

Alaister shakes his head, smiling, as he speaks with obviously feigned indignation... "[color=blue]You wound me, Aya! Of COURSE you should trust me.[/could] Alaister winks, then resumes, a bit more serious, "Though, in my experience, when someone says 'not that I don't trust you', that it is precisely that they don't. No matter, though. I've got quite enough leads to seek out, some for you, some for us, and one special one just for me. If you would like to keep your little secret, it is no matter to me. If I truly need to know it, then Oghma will guide me to the knowledge."

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mirielle's

Alaister shakes his head, smiling, as he speaks with obviously feigned indignation... "You wound me, Aya! Of COURSE you should trust me. Alaister winks, then resumes, a bit more serious, "Though, in my experience, when someone says 'not that I don't trust you', that it is precisely that they don't. No matter, though. I've got quite enough leads to seek out, some for you, some for us, and one special one just for me. If you would like to keep your little secret, it is no matter to me. If I truly need to know it, then Oghma will guide me to the knowledge."
    Last edited by candycorn; 2012-09-11 at 07:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle consider's Aya's argument. "Fair enough. I disagree that it isn't related to us—the fact that something allowed you to see the storm's shape in your trance is evidence enough—but it can wait until we're more sure and better able to ensure no one else is listening in."

She grimaces slightly. "I'm very unused to not being able to share information with other scholars, much less my hierarchy. I need to find a secure means of communicating with them, I suppose."

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

Ceal leans forward, resting his elbows on the top of the bar. His voice is quieter now, but he speaks more earnestly than before. "Look, you care about your business, you want to protect it -- I understand that. All I'm trying to do is protect someone I care about too. I wish more than you know that drugs weren't involved, but they are, and following the drugs is likely my best bet at finding who I'm looking for before it's too late." Reaching into his vest, he removes the small, and yet still mostly empty pouch that contains his meager savings. "This," he sets the pouch on the bar, "is all I've got. If you don't want to help me, that's fine, but at least give me the name of someone else I can talk to. Someone, perhaps, with less to lose."

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

Endelo's Tankard

He tests the weight of the pouch before setting it down again. "The Rat's Nest Anvil is where the cheaper wannabe crooks hang out. You're gonna need more money than that; you got some nice things on you from the looks of it, Misti Marva lends money with items as collateral. I got no names of dealers, so you're on your own in there."

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

Aya shrugs. "Secure communication is always a problem. Sending messages through the Weave is pretty good if you can target them, but I only have sympathetic access to the network myself. I've mostly made do with traveling when necessary."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-09-13 at 10:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Titan in the Playground

Once the wine is cleared and the glasses rinsed, Mirielle falls into a deep slumber

15th of Marpenoth
    Mirielle's apartment
    Mirielle arises early, hoping to catch Keeva before she leaves for work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two days until I can by something at 75% again.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-09-14 at 12:55 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

Market District

Rising at her customary early hour, Aya breaks her fast on trail rations of oats and dried berries, something she has been doing for so many years that she no longer notices the bland nature of the food. That done, she makes her way to Market to track down a decent tailor. She hadn't brought any of her finer outfits on this trip, and while the high priestess had said the revel was an informal affair, she could still hardly show up in travel clothes and armour.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, let's see if we can find someone who can do quick modifications, since there's no time for a new outfit. Preferably someone whose work is in the 50-75g range; Aya doesn't want to stand out too much, but she is going there to make connections, after all.
    Gather Information: (1d20)[17]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's apartment

Keeva is already up when Mirielle rises, having spent almost a straight day in bed. Her hair is disheveled and from the look of her clothes she just fell asleep as is, still bearing the marks of filth from her stay in prison.
    "Mrning", she mumbles, prepraring some hot tea. "Mind if we do laundry early this week?"

Aya
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can find a gnome tailor in Market; he designs ceremonial uniforms as a hobby and whatever else is demanded for profit. You also learn that the Nightbird merchant house in Sixstar specializes in women's clothing and footwear and is wellregarded for their quality. Because of this one needs an appointment, but they always have a selection of ready-made items on stock.