Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff IC

Alaister
    Spoiler
    Show
    You do learn he is associated with a small group of adventurers who are known for having caused a bar brawl in the Ill Eagle by virue of visiting the place(gathering spot for human racists) with a dwarf and halfelf

Bitterstone

"He certainly does. It seems a little coincidental someone waylays you right after being handed a good deal of money. I don't like the interpretations I can think of."
    He leads Jorran to the old warehouse where they last met, though this time they stay outside and meet in a dark corner, the lanterns on the side of the building clearly disused for some time. Barristan's face is half in shadow, and there is no friendliness in his eye. "You wanted to talk. Talk."

Ravendark Castle

"Why I came back?" Liara asks in wide-eyed disbelief. "To save my addle-coved brother of course! Damn you for even having to ask... You think I'd leave you here to die, that I care so little about you? Do you even have any idea how hard it was to find a still functioning portal to this world that doesn't strand me in Maztica, a continent I never even heard of, but a cutter swears to me it's around here?"

The High House of Magic

"Oh, saw nothing. Rika just likes to climb, and others value skill in it. Just was bored with fancy people." Still, the lizardfolk follows, saying something about fresh air and trees. Beliande and Mycion are still at the exit, the former trying to conceal a smirk and the latter not bothering with it. "Hello again Aya, nice to see you on this special day. Why the concerned look? You seem a bit more somber than your fellows from the temple, or perhaps another, similar word?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Bitterstone

"I came to speak of the attack on me after our last meeting, which you apparently know of already. The attacker was an assassin and a devotee of Loviatar, going by the name of Black Sorrow, and he wasn't after me. He was gathering information on your group. Jorran says. "My associates discovered that he's been seen meeting with a Thayan wizard. He's been staying with another Loviatan on the Reverend Road." He says. "I met him a second time, and he promised my belongings back for answers about you. Unfortunately, he saw through my lies. I doubt he will try to question me a second time. He takes a breath before continuing. "Perhaps you've somehow crossed Thayans, Loviatans, or both. I think we can agree that their interest in you is bad news." He crosses his fingers, stretching his arms. "So we have a plan. We give them something. Information about a minor operation of yours, maybe. Anything expendable. I can relay it to my associates, who can get it to Black Sorrow when the time comes. Divinations will not detect is as false information, and we can lay a trap, ferret out the Black Sorrow's employers, and discredit him in the process. If he is employed by Thayans, he may not even survive to regret his failure." Jorran smiles. "So, what say you?"
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Ill Eagle

Upon hearing about Vandroy's possible involvement in a brawl at the Ill Eagle, he decides to travel there, in search of a bit more information. Once he arrives, he strolls to the bar, and attempts to find a seat, while he takes in the ambiance and the conversations going on around him.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Ravendark Castle

"Liara, you keep saying that, but I'm only here because-- Wait a second, did you just say this 'this world'?" It suddenly dawns on Cael that his sister might not only be talking about Raven's Bluff. "Before, you said something terrible was happening here. Did you mean here in this city, or...here in Faerun?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-11-07 at 03:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Bitterstone

The scarred man hissed at the mention of the Maiden of Pain, but Barristan shows no reaction apart from a slight twitch of his eyebrow when Jorran mentions the Red Wizards. "What do you know of the Thayan he has been seen with? Think carefully, a lot depends on this. We can lay a trap, but we need to know who we are dealing with."

The Ill Eagle

The Ill Eagle, too, is closed, but unlike Misti's shop it is until further notice or even for good. It isn't hard for Alaister to learn the story with his skills, most of which he already knew. The watch had had quite enough of trouble with the racists gathering here and closed the place down until the investigation of the last brawl is concluded. People say those folk now try to find a different gathering space, with little luck as they are known to attract trouble and other places don't mind the presence of nonhumans. Current word is they rent a private room in the Salty Dog two times per week for a stiff fee, including tonight. And it seems the whole thing went down some time before Vandroy arrived in the city, provided of course his information on the matter is truthful.

Ravendark Castle

"See, this is what I meant with thinking small. Yes, the whole of Faerun far as I can tell, and the other continents as well. I first noticed when I wanted to check on you and the portal in the Yuirwood was gone. So were others I learned about, in Anauroch, the Spine of the World, Amn... Get it now? We have to get out of here while we can."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

The High House of Magic

Aya smiles at Mycion despite herself, stopping by the exit (consciously placing Mycion between herself and Beliande) and hoping that Rikrik would just continue outside. At least if he were climbing trees no one important was likely to care.

"Good evening, Dean Starfire. The latter word is, unfortunately, part of my duties, and the former perhaps a predictable result of certain others neglecting them." She glances over at some of the more inebriated priests. "When Dalair said he was worried about the gathering running out of wine, I wasn't aware he was expecting that to happen quite so early in the evening."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-11-08 at 11:42 AM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Bitterstone

"Unfortunately little," Jorran said. "He and Black Sorrow were seen using a magically shielded room, but neither me nor my associates actually saw it. They simply talked to people who had. Black Sorrow has been receiving messages from the Raven Express, and leaves north every 12 days. I'd guess these are related to the Thayans, maybe to receive orders, but that's all it is, a guess." He turns to lean on a wall. "We could try to gather more information on the Thayans, but that increases the risk of them finding out about what we know, and we would no longer be able to blindside them." He says. "It's a gamble either way."
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

The High House of Magic

Rikrik indeed continues outside, mumbling something in lizard tongue that sounds like rhyme. "Oh, I'm sure they planned well enough to last through the evening", the halfdrow corrects with a smirk. "See now, they feel rather off-duty. Your faith's clergy here is young and adventurous, in one sense though not the other. And your blessed Lady of Mystery...", he pauses to grin wickedly for some reason. "Despite the stern exterior goes easy on them and let's them have their fun. And fun they have and share. I've been indulging myself and need to watch my tongue, when drunk I think myself twice as witty as usual, when in truth I come in at barely above half. Like that somber-sober pun?"
    "It wasn't that bad", Beliande says after she shuffled sideways to let the group stand in a triangle, reassuringly touching his right shoulder. "Though I daresay below your usual standard dear. And why are you trying to hide your ladyfriend Aya? I had 20 gold against Myca it would lead to the most entertaining spectacle of the night."

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

Ravendark Castle

"Hey, I get it. Enough with this 'thinking small,' alright? Maybe were your prison cell a little larger--" Cael turns abruptly away, once more stopping himself short as he tries desperately to steer clear of the holes the siblings had dug for themselves in years past. "I'm sorry," he says a moment later, taking a deep breath. With each thinking they were here to rescue the other, perhaps it was only a matter of time. "It wasn't easy, you know," he continues, his voice is much quieter now, "to have my sister declared a traitor. ...Thayans? No. I couldn't believe it. I still don't believe it -- I wouldn't be here otherwise. But I spent over a year trying to find you, trying to find answers." He extends both hands, palms up. "Nothing." After another pause, he laughs a sad, humorless laugh. "You were trying to check on me? What, just steal a peak into the tent like mom and dad used to? Damn it, Liara, I thought you were dead!"
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-11-08 at 04:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Bitterstone

"We need to know who the wizard was. A new enemy joining the field, or an old enemy making an expected countermove. And we have a traitor, somewhere." The scarred man seems displeased by this, but doesn't object. "The rest of your group on board with this or is it just you?"

Ravendark Castle

"You want to do this, you really want to do this?" Liara hisses, standing up. "Play the blame game? We were supposed to look out for each other, but you weren't there when I needed you. Now I risk going to the leafless tree to save you, and still you complain?" There is fury in her eyes he had never seen before, and his magical senses feel the raw power flowing through her begging to be released. "How dare you! How long were you gone on your stupid missions? And those were your choice! You weren't chased away from my side with an arrow in your back and soldiers on your tail!"

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

With Alaister gone, Mirielle locks her door and bolts it before pouring the remnants of the wine from the previous night into a glass and heading to bed. She reads her newest acquisition by candlelight for the better part of an hour before setting it down and closing her eyes.

Sleep comes slowly both because of her wharf scent-induced headache and her unease. It seems that Aya was correct that Cybrarvain knew she was in the Bluff and didn't want her dead, at least not yet. She isn't sure which is the more disconcerting fact.

Spoiler
    Show
    How far is the nearest Red Ravens house from Mirielle's? I don't see any on the map.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Bitterstone

"I came here on my own, but the plan wasn't mine. Mirielle and her associate, Alaister gathered this information. Aya was also there. I can go back to them, see what we can uncover on the Thayans. Though if we are to do this, we're going to need a proper way to contact you," he says. "Finding your representatives each time is not very discreet. And, old enemy? You've clashed with them before?" He asks.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-11-09 at 08:12 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

The High House of Magic

"I suppose it does make sense for a celebration of her ascension to emphasize the differences between old and new," Aya replies to Mycion with a smile. "But I need to keep to my own traditions, nonetheless."

"Unfortunately, Dean Moonglow, preventing unplanned 'spectacles' is part of my job, and unlike the clergy, I am only off-duty so long as there is nothing that needs doing." She leaves out that she'd probably have ignored the matter entirely if Rikrik hadn't been part of the Order, but as it was, the lizard's reputation was tied in some small way to her own. Not to mention to Wylam's; she was on the Sage's side as well, at least until the Amazairyl matter was dealt with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Bitterstone

"One. Not intentionally at that." He gives the other greycloak a signal, whereupon the scarred man whispers something to his raven, making it take flight and land on Jorran's shoulder. "Korr will accompany you for some days. She can't talk, but understand well enough. You need to contact us, send her. I don't like you Tolm, but you did alright so far in my city. You shall have your chance. Depending on whether or not you are true to your word we will look into a more permanent solution."

The High House of Magic

The two Deans exchange a look. "Such a serious fellow. What's wrong with a little spectacle as long as it entertains and nobody gets hurt. This lizardfolk - female you said?" Beliande nods. "Lack of a head crest." "See, even if she fell, there'd be half a dozen Feather Falls on her in an instant. We are in the High House after all. And if you think such 'spectacles' bring dishonor upon your faith - well, far be it from me to condone assassination... Though given your race you might just sit back a couple years until they outgrow their ways."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-11-09 at 03:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

The High House of Magic

Apparently, the Lady of Mystery's claim that this was not a formal gathering had been something of an understatement. It wasn't that she couldn't understand the Deans' viewpoint; if it hadn't been one of her own up there, she'd have watched and smirked along with them, but she'd still have expected the associates of the person in question to deal with the situation. So why was this conversation seeming so frustrating?

"It's not about the faith," she says, shaking her head in irritation, "nor dishonour. I know the faith is different from the way it used to be, and nothing will change that. Or rather, given what it would take to change that again, I would hope it doesn't happen, no matter how long I live." Now, how to put it to make him understand... what she wanted him to?

"Rather, were it one of your fellow Deans drunk and climbing the scriptures, would you expect no one from the High House to take an interest?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Bitterstone

Jorran nods before leaning his head slightly to the side to let the bird land properly. "I'll be back once we have more to go on," he says, turning to leave with the raven on his shoulder.

Mirielle's Apartment

Deciding to notify at least one of the others sooner rather than later, Jorran drops by Mirielle's apartment, figuring to be late enough that she is home, yet early enough that she is not yet asleep. He knocks on the door, and waits for it to open.

Evening, Mirielle. I talked with the greycloaks," he says, pointing to the raven on his shoulder with his left hand. "They're not going to act until we have more on the Thayans, but apparently I can send for them with this bird. We should probably convene soon anyway, and in that vein, I moved to ADDRESS REDACTED in Gowntownm," Jorran says.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-11-10 at 11:38 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The night before, about town

Alaister ponders his options, then decides to head to near the location where the former patrons of the Ill Eagle meet, just to keep an eye on things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise: (1d20+13)[33]
    Hide: (1d20+12)[21]

Idea is to stay outside, and blend into the surroundings. Just want to see who's in this group that's gathering.

After that, I'll be going to bed, getting up just before noon, and heading to Misti Marva's, with the intent to arrive right at noon.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

The High House of Magic

"Well, let's see..." Mycion goes into an exaggerated thinking pose for some moments. "I'd expect Mac to say something about proper behaviour and the responsibilities of rank, myself to make a clever snide remark, Jerrod to keep his thoughts to himself, Tighe to find a diplomatic solution leaving noone more than slightly grumbling... And Uldiz I expect to fall."
    "To be fair it wasn't the best comparison", Beliande interjects. "There are rivalries between the schools, real and playful. Another Dean suffering a mild embarrassment won't bother most of us."

Candycorn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why night before? I think we're all on the same day.

The Salty Dog is a big place and they rented but one room. Did you mean stay inside the building but outside the room, or outside alltogether?

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

@DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My bad, misread some of the comments. I meant, based on where they are, the closest place that I could blend in and possibly remain unnoticed, whilst still being able to reliably identify them. If that is within the building, great.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It is. The place is already familiar to you, it's one of the dens Alaister gathered information pre-game. It's a pretty rough place with four floors and many sailors among the guests, lots of gambling and assorted competitions in the cellars like armwrestling, axethrowing etc.
    Not sure what check is best for memorizing the faces of the guys you only briefly see when they leave the room. Int check perhaps?

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

@DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can work Int checks for most of them, and follow whoever looks to be the leader of the group until I'm reasonably sure I could recognize him on sight. Just tell me how many memorization checks to roll, or make the rolls yourself.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment

Mirielle grunts when she hears a rapping on the door, and sets her wine on a bedside table to go answer it.

"That'll be fine," Mirielle says groggily. "Alaister found some new information; apparently Black Sorrow has an ally in town, and someone is willing to pay if we can bring her down. Alaister's working on something for me and I'm going to start on that tomorrow. Want to help? I can come by your place half an hour past dawn."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mirielle's Apartment

"Sounds good," Jorran says. "I'll be going now. Goodnight." Jorran turns to leave, making his way back to Gowntown.

Spoiler
    Show
    That should conclude Jorran's day.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

16th of Marpenoth

Spoiler
    Show
    ending the day here. Aya will go into the nightly activity phase as said previously. Cael will continue as well as this isn't a conversation I want to abort, but soon as the scene ends his day does as well.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

Ravendark Castle

"They chased you away because of a choice that was yours alone to make! You chose to kill one of our own, and if you want to blame me for everything leading up to that choice, fine. But on some level, you have to know that I was no more the perfect brother than you were the perfect sister. What of the anger, Liara? What of the rage? What of the alcohol and the drugs, and the scum that came along with it all? How long was I to watch you poison yourself? How long was I to endure your unwillingness to accept my help? Do you know how many favors I called in? How much goodwill I exhausted trying to keep you out of a cell just like this one?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2012-11-12 at 11:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Mirielle's Apartment -> Gowntown

Mirielle rises an hour before dawn. Her headache has mercifully disappeared, and she washes and eats before she sees Alaister's note. A small inconvenience, but nothing that can't be worked around.

She arrives in Gowntown earlier than she'd told Jorran and raps on his door. "Good morning," she says cheerfully. "Alaister won't be able to get the information until noon, so he's going to deliver it to my house. Can you come around then and we'll get to work? Until then I think I'll be in the library."

Spoiler
    Show
    Can buy something at 75% tomorrow.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

Ravendark Castle

"No", she says simply, sitting down and overcome with sadness. "There is just one of my own, and that is you Cael. I couldn't live knowing you dead and gone. I got my act together when I was in Sigil you know, separated from all this, but you are a part of me, even when we're planes apart and I can't give up on you no matter what. You resent me for back then? Then do better. Accept my help. Cael, we have to go."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-11-13 at 11:48 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Gowntown

Jorran had just sat down to eat when he hears a knock on the door. He stands up, and crosses the room to the door, opening it. "Morning," Jorran says, before listening to Mirielle's explanation. "I'll be there. Will Aya be there as well though?" he asks.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2012-11-13 at 12:30 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

The High House of Magic

"A matter of relative proximity, I suppose. Aside from a few small groups, the Order is widely spread enough that we rarely interact for long enough at a time for such rivalries to develop."

Aya smiles slightly. "I'll grant that for certain people, a few minutes can be enough, but it is easy to forget when separated by a couple hundred miles."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

Ravendark Castle

Seeing the fire in Liara's eyes so quickly extinguished, Cael wonders, was I too harsh? Trusting in his sister's strength, he presses his eyes shut, as though squeezing hard enough might force the doubt from his thoughts. "Okay," he speaks as much to himself as he does to Liara, "but if you really want to help, I need to know why the Lord Mayor is holding you here in the first place. What happened, exactly? All I managed to dig up was something about breaking into a nobleman's estate."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming you decided on class levels for Liara? I don't want to push things too far in terms of metagaming, but it seems reasonable to me that Cael would have some idea of her abilities, at least up until the time when she disappeared.