New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery VIII (spoilers ahoy!)

Well, I could see Xykon playing around and casting Mass Hold Person thus "accidentally" holding everyone in the room (including O'chul as well as various goblins and hobgoblins), possibly causing various folks to fall into the acid tank and whatnot.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2012-08-21 at 10:20 AM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

2. - Top - End - #1442

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Greater Teleport and Mass Hold Person* at 7th, Ghostform in 8th, Soul Bind* coming in at 9th, and Cloister, Epic Mage Armor, and some sort of Epic Dispelling finishing in Epic.

[...]

*Both these spells are technically non-damaging, but still pretty devastating. I listed them because they fall under the "crap probably not cast on O-Chul" category, which I think is more appropriate/relevant here.
    Mass Hold Person was indeed cast on O-Chul.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Well, I could see Xykon playing around and casting Mass Hold Person thus "accidentally" holding everyone in the room (including O'chul as well as various goblins and hobgoblins), possibly causing various folks to fall into the acid tank and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Mass Hold Person was indeed cast on O-Chul.
    Eek. Fixed. Man, that's right in the middle of my absolute favorite series of strips. Shame on me for not remembering.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2012-08-21 at 11:13 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    But if he had an extra spell per level,
    In addition to what Peelee said, there is no question of an extra spell per level (huh?). What there is, is that he could have extra spells at any level; the Extra Spell feat gets him one, the Spell Knowledge epic feat gets him two.

You can arbitrarily decide that he's filled...well, maybe first level with all-damage spells? As Peelee points out, every spell level we can see on O-Chul's list has at least one non-damage spell, but first and second levels are mostly covered up by the word balloons, and from those two levels I only remember Xykon casting Magic Missile. But as far as deciding that, e.g., he can be asserted as not having four seventh level known spells, I thought this thread was supposed to be a little more exacting than that.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    In addition to what Peelee said, there is no question of an extra spell per level (huh?). What there is, is that he could have extra spells at any level; the Extra Spell feat gets him one, the Spell Knowledge epic feat gets him two.
    And now we know why I was wrong on my analysis: I had understood that the feat gave him an extra spell at every level, not at any level.

Please go ahead and ignore me. Obviously a single extra spell here and there could easily be missed.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Xykon's known spells, taken from the OP, arranged by level in the sorcerer/wizard list, including empty slots where he could have a spell known but none is listed:

Cantrips - Ray of Frost, Unknown x8
    1st - Animate Dead Animal, Magic Missile, Unknown x3
    2nd - Invisibility, Shatter, Unknown x3
    3rd - Lightning Bolt, Unknown x3
    4th - Animate Dead, Greater Invisibility, Resilient Sphere, Stoneskin
    5th - Cloudkill, Overland Flight, Symbol of Pain, Teleport
    6th - Contingency, Unknown x2
    7th - Finger of Death, Greater Teleport, Mass Hold Person
    8th - Ghostform, Symbol of Insanity, Unknown
    9th - Energy Drain, Meteor Swarm, Soul Bind
    Epic - Cloister, Epic Mage Armor, Superb Dispelling
    Unknown Level - Xykon's Moderately Escapable Forcecage, unspecified fire spell, unspecified mind-affecting spell, unspecified spell that enables travel to the Astral Plane

Unless Xykon's taken the epic feat Spell Knowledge, which would give him two new spells known of any level, the spell he used on MitD should be level 8 or lower. Depending on where those spells of unknown level fall, it might be as low as level 3, though that's highly doubtful.
    I've been looking through the d20 SRD, and the only sorcerer spells I can find that would allow travel to the astral plane are Plane Shift (level 7), Astral Projection (level 9) and Gate (level 9). Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if there's a another spell from a book we've already seen used, that wouldn't necessarily be in the SRD.

If those are the three spells he could have used, though, that might indicate that he's taken a feat for at least one extra spell at one of those levels.

One problem with this theory, though, is that we've never seen him actually cast a spell to get to the Astral Plane; all we know is that he built a fortress there that Red Cloak appeared to not know about previously, and he asked Red Cloak to use Gate to get him there once. For all we know, he could have a magic item that he normally uses to travel to the Astral Plane, or (less likely, in my estimation) he's previously asked Red Cloak (or possibly some other caster, though we've seen no indication Tsukiko was high enough) to send him there without telling him why.

Nothing definitive enough to list in the OP, but an interesting topic for discussion.

7. - Top - End - #1447

While Xykon might rely on an item (...though it strikes me as kind of unlikely that he'd take the risk of being locked away from his phylactery, or regenerating at his phylactery and being trapped there), I very much doubt he'd let himself rely on another spellcaster for access to the astral plane.

I doubt he'd be willing to be dependent on anything outside his own spellcasting for something as important as being able to get in and out of his phylactery's hiding place, honestly. Remember what he said to Dorukan about being a sorcerer meaning his magic is in his bones, not cribbed off of "Magic for Dummies"?

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In particular, given that he no longer trusts Redcloak with his phylactery (albeit for the wrong reasons... probably), I see it as extremely unlikely that Xykon would rely on him as the only possible means of access to the Astral Plane.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Banned

It's also possible that he found a preexisting planar rift, whether natural or left over from some other (since deceased or departed) mage's longago experiments, leading to the Astral Plane on his latest trek.

10. - Top - End - #1450

We should also note that, as always, Rich could homebrew an 8th level or 6th level spell that allows travel to and from the Astral Plane.

11. - Top - End - #1451

Or several scrolls. That is possible.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Who says Xykon wants to go back to the astral plane, like, ever? Sure, he hid his phylactery there, but otherwise the place is fairly boring. Xykon doesn't like boring.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #1453

If he's destroyed again, he'll be in the Astral Plane, without any items he may have.

Either his spells will get him out of it, or he'll experience exactly how boring he finds it for a long, long time.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Orc in the Playground

If he's destroyed again, he'll be in the Astral Plane, without any items he may have.

Either his spells will get him out of it, or he'll experience exactly how boring he finds it for a long, long time.
    Not if he simply hid a scroll next to his phylactery.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Who says Xykon wants to go back to the astral plane, like, ever? Sure, he thinks he hid his phylactery there, but otherwise the place is fairly boring. Xykon doesn't like boring.
    There ... fixed it for you.

16. - Top - End - #1456

If somebody tries to get to his phylactery, Xykon's going to want to deal with it. Sure, they probably won't get far, but why take chances?
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Dwarf in the Playground

Belkar's Wisdom score is exactly 9.

According to strip 58, Owl's Wisdom grants Belkar enough wisdom to be able to cast CSW. If I'm not mistaken, this means he has a Wisdom score of at least 9 (since CSW is a 3rd level spell, he needs at least 13 after the +4 boost).

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keynub View Post
    Belkar's Wisdom score is exactly 9.

According to strip 58, Owl's Wisdom grants Belkar enough wisdom to be able to cast CSW. If I'm not mistaken, this means he has a Wisdom score of at least 9 (since CSW is a 3rd level spell, he needs at least 13 after the +4 boost).
    There's been a LOT of debate about that, to the point where I think it was one of the arguments that led to the entire thread being locked for a while. Some people think it's the level of the spell on the scroll maker's spell list that matters, which combines with other things to pinpoint Belkar's wisdom at exactly 9. Some think it's the spell's level on the scroll user's list (and for Rangers it's a level 4 spell) that matters, which conflicts with other evidence. Among the latter group, opinions about what to do with the conflicting evidence are further divided.

Both groups are firmly entrenched in their opinions, thoroughly convinced the other is unambiguously objectively wrong, and the arguments about it got rather heated without convincing anyone on either side.

For what it's worth, I agree with you - I believe it's the spell's level on the scroll maker's list that matters, and I have argued quite vociferously on the subject in the past. But, for the sake of this thread's continued unlocked existence, I will not repeat those arguments and we should all just let the subject lie.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wasn't aware of this, sorry for bringing it up again.

20. - Top - End - #1460

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    There's been a LOT of debate about that, to the point where I think it was one of the arguments that led to the entire thread being locked for a while. Some people think it's the level of the spell on the scroll maker's spell list that matters, which combines with other things to pinpoint Belkar's wisdom at exactly 9. Some think it's the spell's level on the scroll user's list (and for Rangers it's a level 4 spell) that matters, which conflicts with other evidence.
    And at least one of us thinks the idea of Belkar's Wisdom being one point below average is manifestly absurd from observing the way he acts in the comic and anything that leads to it should be thrown out.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Speaking of Belkar, can we really say that his charisma is 10 or less? Sure, V says so, though you could argue that V certainly doesn't have a positive view of Belkar's interpersonal skills, and he rarely bothers to use charisma at all because he's well... Belkar.

But in Greysky, Belkar is depicted as persuasive and attractive, and though there's nothing to give a proper charisma range from, I'd say it's enough to call V:s statement into question.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

22. - Top - End - #1462

Here's one that may not have been discussed in the past: In War and XPs, Belkar says that he threw the last Ring of Protection +1 they found in the trash. (For those of you who have it, comic 304a)

Is this sufficient to prove that each member of the order has two magic rings or another source of a deflection bonus?

23. - Top - End - #1463

Why the assumption that "Summon Employee Exit" is a spell Celia knows (presumably in addition to Dorukan creating an employee exit which could be summoned), rather than purely the result of Dorukan's creating an employee exit which his employees could summon? Celia doesn't say "Summon Employee Exit," she just says, "I'm summoning the employee exit" as it appears.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    But in Greysky, Belkar is depicted as persuasive and attractive, and though there's nothing to give a proper charisma range from, I'd say it's enough to call V:s statement into question.
    To be fair, seducing Jenny isn't exactly a complex Diplomacy check

Most other people's attitudes towards him - from his own teammates to random NPCs like the AC guards and EoB gladiators - typically starts out Unfriendly and goes downhill from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #1465

Charisma is force of personality.

Not how much people like you.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by EatAtEmrakuls View Post
    Charisma is force of personality.
    It is also "persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness". Charisma is a notoriously vague stat. Besides, even if Belkar did have high charisma, people would still probably hate him because he antagonizes people on purpose most of the time. The EoB gladiators hated him because he stole bread and threatened people. High charisma doesn't help your interpersonal relationships when you've established yourself as the antagonist. Which Belkar does. Constantly.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpif View Post
    Here's one that may not have been discussed in the past: In War and XPs, Belkar says that he threw the last Ring of Protection +1 they found in the trash. (For those of you who have it, comic 304a)

Is this sufficient to prove that each member of the order has two magic rings or another source of a deflection bonus?
    Not exactly (Belkar isn't incredibly likely to be holding onto items for other party members, now is he?), but it'd be a fairly safe assumption anyway. By the time your party is around level 15, you should have all your body slots filled with something.

Why the assumption that "Summon Employee Exit" is a spell Celia knows (presumably in addition to Dorukan creating an employee exit which could be summoned), rather than purely the result of Dorukan's creating an employee exit which his employees could summon? Celia doesn't say "Summon Employee Exit," she just says, "I'm summoning the employee exit" as it appears.
    I agree that this shouldn't be listed as a spell for her. (It's also entirely possible she had a magic item given to her when she was hired to cast this spell for her, if it is indeed a spell.)
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

28. - Top - End - #1468

I just noticed something. The FAQ says that are listed characters that are at lest Frequent according to the Number of Character Appearances thread, as well as family members of the main characters if there's enough info about them.

This cover about all the current characters described with the exception of Daigo (who's in the Frequent section now) and Ian Starshine (father of Haley). And I think we have enough minimal info on them both to add their entries.

Daigo could be added in the Sapphire Guard section for simplicity's sake (it could be renamed "The Azurites" if it's a problem).
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    I just noticed something. The FAQ says that are listed characters that are at lest Frequent according to the Number of Character Appearances thread,
    No, it says "any frequently occuring character". That's not the same as the "frequent" section, because the Appearances thread used to not have a "frequent" section. Their cutoff point (of 31 appearances) is largely arbitrary and may change in the future, so we're not necessarily bound to use that; this thread doesn't include the demon roaches either.

Off the top of my head, all we know of Daigo is that he's sixth level, and all we know of Ian is that he's a first edition thief. What other information do we have that makes them viable for inclusion?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    all we know of Ian is that he's a first edition thief. What other information do we have that makes them viable for inclusion?
    Strictly speaking, we know Ian was a first-edition thief. That speaks to his longevity (that is, he was around for the updates from first to second edition, from second to third, and from third to three point five), not to his current geeky state.

We also know he has Open Locks trained.