New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questions of A Wierd Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Then shouldn't we try to, you know, encourage people to treat the words like words, rather than something horrible?
    By itself, a word is just a configuration of phonemes chained together in a particular order. Only when they are associated with something do they take on meaning.

For example, when I say "cutting board", what do you think of?

Ideally, you would associate that particular phrase with the concept of a board used for cutting food.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2012-04-07 at 05:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Scotchland View Post
    By itself, a word is just a configuration of phonemes chained together in a particular order. Only when they are associated with something do they take on meaning.

For example, when I say "cutting board", what do you think of?

Ideally, you would associate that particular phrase with the concept of a board used for cutting food.
    Yes. I know that.

I'm saying that ideally, all curse words would not have the negative associations they do. If those negative associations actually cause brain damage, then wouldn't it be smart to try and discourage the associations, rather than the words themselves?
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Yes. I know that.

I'm saying that ideally, all curse words would not have the negative associations they do. If those negative associations actually cause brain damage, then wouldn't it be smart to try and discourage the associations, rather than the words themselves?
    Gotcha.

No, it wouldn't. You see, these words still have a purpose: to express intense emotion. It is the misuse of them that causes the problem. They exist for a reason, and if they should be eliminated, then humans will simply find something else to represent those emotions.

Hypothetically, let's say you are successful in eliminating these associations. What you will have done is eliminated people's ability to vent those emotions in a safe manner. So, those emotions will instead be vented through another means. Art? Maybe. Murder? Also an option.

Edit: In summary, you would be trying to cage humanity psychologically.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2012-04-07 at 06:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questions of a weird mind

All curse words do not have negative connotations.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questions of A Weird Mind

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    None particularly.
    Please understand, I was not addressing yourself. Cry is not in AtlanteanTroll's user-name... My...assumption is that Troll already knew that, so perhaps everyone will understand if I cease responding to you for the duration of the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    ...my only recourse is to be courteous and say that I acknowledge the statement. I can not ask for examples, because I do not want them. But I do not want Wadledo to think that I am intentionally ignoring the comment.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-04-07 at 07:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Questions of A Weird Mind

Pardon me for taking the liberty to respond to whatever I damn well feel like responding to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

7. - Top - End - #457

Hypothetically, let's say you are successful in eliminating these associations. What you will have done is eliminated people's ability to vent those emotions in a safe manner.
    ...elimination of a single person's associations to particular words does not eliminate any other associations which exist in other individuals...

Swear words and course language are not required to express emotion. Children who have been abused are encouraged to scream into pillows, among other therapies, to express and remove their caged feelings. This requires no use of lingual activity, only the pure resonance of a vowel empowered by animated internal sensation.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-04-07 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added A Paragraph

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    ...elimination of a single person's associations to particular words does not eliminate any other associations which exist in other individuals...
    I had speaking on a global scale. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If done to a single individual, then those associations will be re-established as the person relearns the meaning of the words.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And this isn't tough noogies to them, because why?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Doctor Caroline Leaf published data regarding a number of aspects in the brain. If you would like more, I can send a private message,
    Why not do so in the thread, or at least just point towards the publication in question if copywrite's a problem? This discussion has been public so far and if you are trying to share scientific information I'd have thought it would make sense to do so in a manner most people could read. Especially since I don't think this is common knowledge.

but some-how I do not think that you really want more.
    If I didn't want information I wouldn't have asked for it.

Not once, not once, did I mention any concept of a person disagreeing.
    Actually, the first post you made on this topic kind of does:
    Quote Originally Posted by Story Time
    It is never acceptable to use, or encrypt, foul language in any form.

But...some people force themselves to think other-wise.
    This may be just me, but if someone said that they 'thought otherwise' in regards to an assertion I'd have thought that would mean that they held a different opinion and presumably that they did not accept the original assertion. In other words: they disagree with the it. That is what the expression is generally used to mean.

Now this may not have been the message you meant to get across, but the fact of the matter is that someone could be entirely forgiven for reading your post as saying that people who thought differently from (i.e. disagreed with) your premise that 'bad language' should never be acceptable did so because they were forcing themselves to do so. In fact I would go so far as to suggest that is the most likely way a reader would interpret that post.

If that wasn't what you meant, then I'll happily retract my comments that it was. However, I would be curious to know what you did mean by the line in the first place.

I simply made a statement based on the most exact neurological evidence which I had been exposed to. Other persons choosing to disagree or take offense at that data has nothing to do with my bias, accurate or not.
    The other problem is that you didn't actually make any reference to any evidence in your initial post. What you said was: "It is never acceptable to use, or encrypt, foul language in any form."
    Now your stance may well be based on hard evidence, but unless you actually mention that then how is a reader supposed to know that it is based on evidence and not just unsupported opinion?

And, just to be clear, it has nothing to do with a person's emotional state. Apparently the thought-type itself determines whether toxins are stored in the brain or cleansed away.
    Fair enough.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2012-04-08 at 03:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    The other problem is that you didn't actually make any reference to any evidence in your initial post. What you said was: "It is never acceptable to use, or encrypt, foul language in any form."
    Now your stance may well be based on hard evidence, but unless you actually mention that then how is a reader supposed to know that it is based on evidence and not just unsupported opinion?
    And I'd also like to point out that when given evidence that counters the assertion of (absent) evidence, Story Time ignores it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

12. - Top - End - #462

I had speaking on a global scale. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    That makes so much more sense. Thank you for clarifying that.

Why not do so in the thread, or at least just point towards the publication in question if copywrite's a problem?
    ...forum rules being what they are, I do not want to step in this direction. I truly am sorry that I can not be of more public help.

This may be just me, but if someone said that they 'thought otherwise' in regards to an assertion I'd have thought that would mean that they held a different opinion and presumably that they did not accept the original assertion. In other words: they disagree with the it. That is what the expression is generally used to mean.
    That particular line of text was not a broad slap against any-one who would disagree with me. What I meant to point out was that chronic use of curse-words is a choice and that by doing so a person was choosing to continue to err towards toxins in their mind rather than not.

The other problem is that you didn't actually make any reference to any evidence in your initial post.
    That is true. I made a very broad...candid...commentary which was not specifically phrased or poised for debate purposes. ...maybe I should learn to qualify every-thing I say. But if I tried to do so I would be seized by paranoia in the end. I apologize if you personally felt mis-lead or offended in some way.

And I'd also like to point out that when given evidence that counters the assertion of (absent) evidence, Story Time ignores it.
    It is possible that I miss certain posts. If so, then I am sorry. There are very few members of this forum that I feel that I know relatively well. Most of the names in this thread are new to me, except Ravens Cry, and I tend to look for...thought-filled posts rather than just...text-blather ( sorry, can't think of a better phrase ). So, yes, I might miss a post or three. I also do not like conflict. I do not like to debate for the sake of debate. So when some person starts speaking about Quantum Physics ( which I have more than a few words to say, few of them happy ) I don't feel right just...plowing out a massive wall of text against it just because someone shared their thoughts.

This is a forum. I'm only one member. I wouldn't be a very nice person if I just debated, un-invited, against every member name that I saw.

If I can be allowed to make blanket statements about my thoughts in the Giant In The Playground forums, then I should at least try to be courteous to allow others to do so.

And how should I respond? "Prove it?" I do not want to hear curse words nor do I want to encourage anyone to share them. Neither do I want to supply an excuse for more toxins to gather and calcify in the brains of fellow forumites. So what response should I give?

...I acknowledged the statement. I did not ignore it.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-04-08 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added A Quote

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

*snip*
    This is a forum. Since I assume you are not pressed for time, I can also assume that you can take a moment to look at the previous page, and look at the posts directly after yours, that quote your posts.

I mean, you asked me a question. I answered it, and you did not respond.
    That seems to me to be ignoring it.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2012-04-08 at 07:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #464

This is a forum. Since I assume you are not pressed for time, I can also assume that you can take a moment to look at the previous page, and look at the posts directly after yours, that quote your posts.
    Using the words angels and Fall Mythology at the beginning of a paragraph would be a great way to breech forum rules. No, thank you.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

......................If you won't listen to me, I don't know why we are having a conversation.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466

So interesting conversation was happening, I go to PAX for the weekend, and then people are just arguing. Thread had so much potential, too.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzball View Post
    So interesting conversation was happening, I go to PAX for the weekend, and then people are just arguing. Thread had so much potential, too.
    I know, right?

18. - Top - End - #468

......................If you won't listen to me, I don't know why we are having a conversation.
    Oh! Huh.

That'll take some time to look through.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzball View Post
    What argument? I'm not angry at any-one. Am I?

Just...start asking more questions from weird minds?

Spoiler
    Show
    The HowStuffWorks article held only one link to any direct data. News articles are not considered data. The press release for the University of Anglia met with a 404 Error so I could not evaluate it.

The Scientific American article linked to a Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins journal called NeuroReport. After investigating the abstract statements of every listing in the table of contents, I found no direct connection to the supposed experiment which was mentioned in the article. The rest of the article referenced psychologists, doctors and other-wise. I am not a psychologist. When I look for data on the brain, I search for neurology. Given that there was no neurology data to find in those to articles, I can only conclude that there is nothing to refute.

However, perhaps there was some kind of experiment performed. And if it was, I find the wording of the Scientific American article, "chant a neutral word," to be extremely...specific...compared to allowing a test subject to say what they wished at the speed that they wished to. Even basic biology teaches that greater oxygen content in the body will reduce pain as will applying pressure to a wounded area ( stubbing a toe or arm, for example ).

...I will try to be quiet about this subject now.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-04-09 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added Second Section

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose I fulfill the requirements to ask a suitable completely unrelated question.

Why is the graphite in pencils often referred to as lead, even though we all know it isn't?

Note: I already know the answer, but it's all I could think of on short notice.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-04-09 at 08:41 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Because it use to be lead and honestly I don't think everyone does know it's all graphite now.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Because it use to be lead and honestly I don't think everyone does know it's all graphite now.
    Actually, with a quick look at wikipedia, it seems that originally no lead was ever used in pencils. Graphite was though to be a type of lead, and thus called 'lead.'

The more you know!

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It was never, ever lead--it was always graphite. Lead simply wouldn't work as a writing implement, and it isn't hard enough to form a point either.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It was never, ever lead--it was always graphite. Lead simply wouldn't work as a writing implement, and it isn't hard enough to form a point either.
    There is archaeological evidence of lead based pigments going back to pre-Egyptian times, you know.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

There is archaeological evidence of lead based pigments going back to pre-Egyptian times, you know.
    That's . . . not the same thing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

25. - Top - End - #475
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    That's . . . not the same thing at all.
    I'm equally confused. There isn't a great deal of relationship between a paintbrush and a pencil, and I said that lead couldn't be used as a writing implement, not that it couldn't be used as a dye or pigment.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh yes it was. Way back in Ancient Rome.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm equally confused. There isn't a great deal of relationship between a paintbrush and a pencil, and I said that lead couldn't be used as a writing implement, not that it couldn't be used as a dye or pigment.
    I suppose the fault is mine, since I assumed that as long as it was being used a writing material it could be considered part of a writing implement.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yes it was. Way back in Ancient Rome.
    Yes, I had heard this as well.
    Another case of elemental metallics being used for drawing was silverpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Why is the face of a cat so much similar to the face of an owl?
    Really, the only major difference is the beak and the nose.
    Spoiler
    Show

They basically have the same facial expresions as well. Looking rather annoyed and slightly pissed off almost all the time.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps the proportion of the difference between the eyes and the eye size aids them both really well when hunting at night?
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!