New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questions of a weird mind

How would it work? I'm not a physicist, but the way I see it?

You let something fall and somehow you get energy out of that fall. Say, by attaching a spring to a rock, or something.

Then what? Eventually, it falls to the nearest center of mass, or as close as it can get and it will stay there. Attach more weights? You'll have to lift them first, so they can fall. Which, since Thermodynamics is a bitch, will take more energy than you'll get ouf of it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #842
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Gravity may always apply and never run out, but that doesn't mean it's an unlimited energy source. The only way to extract energy from gravity is to have something fall. Once something has fallen, extracting more energy via gravity requires either moving on to some other object or raising it back up so it can fall again. Moving on to another object goes against the concept of a perpetual motion machine so that won't work. That leaves raising it back up, and you will never get more out of the fall than you have to spend on the raising.

If you have a perfect no-loss system you would get back exactly as much as you put in, and you could indeed use that to keep moving forever (provided you never exceed a certain elevation), but such a perfect no-loss system would require absolutely no friction, sound, light emission, and a whole bunch of other things that are just never going to happen.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, makes sense. I think I mixed it up with a combination of gravity plus water, which does have the nice effect of getting up the mountain by itself. Though that's actually solar heat that provides the energy.

4. - Top - End - #844

Most forms of energy production on Earth are actually derived from the sun in some way. The exceptions are nuclear power, geothermal, and tidal. Fossil fuels, hydro power, wind, and (of course) solar all wouldn't work without the sun constantly dumping huge amounts of energy into the planetary ecosystem.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    If you have a water cooled computer, where does the water transport the heat to? Are there large additional alluminium or copper radiators somewhere else, that can't be crammed directly on the circuit boards?
    Depends on the manufacturer. Look up water cooling system in any online PC shop and you'll find a whole variety.

6. - Top - End - #846

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Most forms of energy production on Earth are actually derived from the sun in some way. The exceptions are nuclear power, geothermal, and tidal. Fossil fuels, hydro power, wind, and (of course) solar all wouldn't work without the sun constantly dumping huge amounts of energy into the planetary ecosystem.
    Tidal as well, actually. Quite a bit of the tides are due to the sun.

7. - Top - End - #847

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Tidal as well, actually. Quite a bit of the tides are due to the sun.
    A portion of them, yes, but the large majority comes from the moon.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

Springs help to mitigate some of the energy lost, but not much. Perhaps use them to pump water to a higher point to power a hydro-electric turbine?

While on the topic of energy conservation/generation. I posted this some 10 pages ago, but nobody really responded to it.

Is it viable to put wind turbines along expressways/highways, to utilise the slipstream, or the air that gets forced away from the cars travelling along the expressways? Alternatively, placing them at the edge of a roof to capture the wind generated by air passing across the roof suddenly increasing in speed as it crosses the edge.

Alternatively, placing some kind of miniature hydro-electric turbines along the drainage routes from the roofs of tall buildings, to capture rain run-off. Or, and this is my most ambitious one yet. A giant(like 10-30 storeys tall) plexiglass(not really completely plexiglass, but that forms the actual waterproof roof part) umbrella, whose core consists of a series of hydroelectric turbines, to extract power from the collected water as it drains away. This also has the side-benefit of reducing potential floods in the area covered.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Is desertification impossible to fix? I had some theories of how to fix it they're just not pretty.
    This is horrifying beyond anything Lovecraft ever wrote or Giger ever drew.

MCulpa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVopG...el_video_title
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192558

(Screw the point)-Doomboy911

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    Is desertification impossible to fix? I had some theories of how to fix it they're just not pretty.
    Well, probably not impossible, but it does tend to be a bit of a viscous cycle.
    Replanting plants hardy enough to stand the desert conditions could be a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

11. - Top - End - #851

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Is it viable to put wind turbines along expressways/highways, to utilise the slipstream, or the air that gets forced away from the cars travelling along the expressways?
    Wouldn't be strong enough. Mythbusters tested out the myth that you can be pulled off a station platform by a passing express train, and as I recall there was practically no effect unless they put the person within inches of the train--and a train is much larger and has a much greater slipstream than cars do. A passing lorry might generate enough breeze to briefly power a windmill, but you're not going to get enough power out of that to be worth the effort. (You could always try attaching magnets to the vehicles and using a buried cable to induce some electric current, though ).

As for the rain capturing methods, firstly, it's not raining constantly (although the current weather in the UK might make you think differently), and even when it IS raining the actual amount of water falling out of the sky is not that much.

Overall, building lots of tiny turbines would likely cost more and be less effective than building a single large one, especially since large generators tend to be more efficient than small ones.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Wouldn't be strong enough. Mythbusters tested out the myth that you can be pulled off a station platform by a passing express train, and as I recall there was practically no effect unless they put the person within inches of the train--and a train is much larger and has a much greater slipstream than cars do. A passing lorry might generate enough breeze to briefly power a windmill, but you're not going to get enough power out of that to be worth the effort. (You could always try attaching magnets to the vehicles and using a buried cable to induce some electric current, though ).

As for the rain capturing methods, firstly, it's not raining constantly (although the current weather in the UK might make you think differently), and even when it IS raining the actual amount of water falling out of the sky is not that much.

Overall, building lots of tiny turbines would likely cost more and be less effective than building a single large one, especially since large generators tend to be more efficient than small ones.
    Isn't a train relatively more streamlined than a car though? With regards to the rain, it rains about 200 days out of the year here 1 degree north of the equator, with a fairly high amount of it in June(200mm an hour? in abnormal conditions, 100 otherwise).

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    The Living Bullet!
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wouldn't it be more efficient to put like windmills on the train? Such as built into the side so wind would go through and build up power, not to power the whole train but to reduce the amount of power used on the train. If that's confusing picture it like this we have Power 1 which is used to power the train and Power 2 which is done with the turbines. Power 2 goes into power 1 reducing how much of power 1 in being put in to power the train.

If that doesn't make any sense I could try to draw it up.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Well, this may be a weird question, but that's what this thread is for...

What is the evolutionary purpose of the hymen? I mean, it's a part of the body which must be broken to be passed down, in an area for which I cannot see any use other than that use which breaks it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

That I cannot fathom my mind can only assume it makes a funny noise when it pops. If the easier broken hymens belong to the girls who have been around the block more often than it makes no sense that they're still around. You'd think they'd breed out by now. (This all comes from a slightly above average understanding of evolution sullied by years of science fiction.)

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, this may be a weird question, but that's what this thread is for...

What is the evolutionary purpose of the hymen? I mean, it's a part of the body which must be broken to be passed down, in an area for which I cannot see any use other than that use which breaks it.
    Protection from infection, perhaps?
    It's common in some other mammals, so I imagine it serves *some* purpose.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-07-14 at 11:26 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Isn't a train relatively more streamlined than a car though?
    Hardly--most trains tend to have very blunt front ends (particularly freight trains), and that's what causes the ram effect.

As for the idea of putting turbines on the train itself to "save energy", you don't get anything for free. The turbines would, indeed, generate power, but they would also generate drag that would require the train's engines to work harder. If you could somehow figure out a way to generate *more* power from the turbines than you're losing in the train's engines then you've created yourself a perpetual motion machine, because you could theoretically just start the train off with a push and let the power generated by the turbines drive it the rest of the way!

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ogre in the Playground

Hardly--most trains tend to have very blunt front ends (particularly freight trains), and that's what causes the ram effect.
    My bad. I guess it's the different mental images of the term "train". For you it's the coal-powered monsters. I was thinking more like the bullet-nosed types used for subway systems.

In my vision of "highway-side turbines", the fan blades could be turned either by the slipstream, OR by the air flowing in the opposite direction.

Regarding the hymen, I'd guess it's from the point in gestation when the opening was still partially sealed. However, short of Truman Show levels of observation from the moment of conception(which assumes that someone somehow develops a transparent artificial external womb), it would be impossible to know for sure.

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    The Living Bullet!

19. - Top - End - #859
    Orc in the Playground

Why is the meat in chicken nuggets grey-y? Normal chicken meat is white.
    Edit: Actually, I don't know if I even want to know.
    Last edited by Matthias2207; 2012-07-16 at 11:38 AM.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    A quick wiki check shows two words - meat slurry. Yeah, you're better off not knowing...

21. - Top - End - #861

Actually, sometimes you see some grey meat on a chicken. They mainly use the cheap meat anyway for the nuggets, so there's some of that.

And yes, slurry. Urgh.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Say about meat what you want, consider the pros and cons for yourself, and buy as often and where you think it's okay. Except chicken. There is no such thing as an ethically tollerable chicken farm. There are some places that produce eggs from free range chicken, but those don't produce any meaningful quantities of meat.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As for the idea of putting turbines on the train itself to "save energy", you don't get anything for free. The turbines would, indeed, generate power, but they would also generate drag that would require the train's engines to work harder. If you could somehow figure out a way to generate *more* power from the turbines than you're losing in the train's engines then you've created yourself a perpetual motion machine, because you could theoretically just start the train off with a push and let the power generated by the turbines drive it the rest of the way!
    Could have it sit on top of a hill.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Orc in the Playground

Is it an infinite hill?

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

25. - Top - End - #865
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    White Meat + Dark Meat + Bone Marrow + Stock from boiling down bones (adds flavor) + Livers and Kidneys and such (common in most forms of stock as well) = Grey color.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I think it a little funny that people are complaining about this.
    After all, it's just a new way to use 'all the buffalo' or in this case, chicken.
    We're pretty picky if we get squicked by eating a little umbles.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    After all, it's just a new way to use 'all the buffalo' or in this case, chicken.
    In the case of nuggets, it's the preservatives that bother me.

In the case of all the chicken parts, I regularly purchase extra chicken liver to go in my dirty rice, or my home made chicken stock. Bones and Marrow? Again, stock. I break the bones open whenever possible to ensure that the marrow gets out easily.

Anyone here like Turkey gravy? Proper turkey gravy is made with giblets and drippings from the bird. KFC gravy uses deep fryer fat (namely the stuff at the very very bottom with chicken bits and such), a boat load of flour and corn starch, and loads of salt.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I've got no objections to eating offal - for example small intestine has this really odd texture which is smooth on one side and 'lumpy' (best description I have for it) on the other due to the villi.

I do however live in the UK, where English people can be fantastically picky about their food, so prefer to err on the side of caution when informing people about what they're eating (one semi-ostracisation was enough for me).

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In the case of nuggets, it's the preservatives that bother me.

In the case of all the chicken parts, I regularly purchase extra chicken liver to go in my dirty rice, or my home made chicken stock. Bones and Marrow? Again, stock. I break the bones open whenever possible to ensure that the marrow gets out easily.

Anyone here like Turkey gravy? Proper turkey gravy is made with giblets and drippings from the bird. KFC gravy uses deep fryer fat (namely the stuff at the very very bottom with chicken bits and such), a boat load of flour and corn starch, and loads of salt.
    i love turkey gravy...despite KFC using deep fryer fat, their gravy is still the best

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose... When it comes down to it, a person doesn't go to KFC because they're known for how healthy their food is.
    They go because of those eleven herbs and spices.
    And the chips are good too.

As for their gravy, it's nice, but not the best.

And because, I feel like asking a question for once instead of just answering:
    I can understand the reasoning behind annuals, but why would any self-respecting plant grow for thirty to eighty years to a height of up to twenty-five metres before flowering once and then dying after setting fruit?
    It seems rather silly to me...
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!