New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Questions of a weird mind

Not to mention that the ones which DO allow dual citizenship might start getting suspicious when you turn up as a citizen of 23 other countries already...

2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Dang it now I have to become a man of the world through more symbolic means.
    This is horrifying beyond anything Lovecraft ever wrote or Giger ever drew.

MCulpa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVopG...el_video_title
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192558

(Screw the point)-Doomboy911

3. - Top - End - #963
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    If I wanted to become a citizen in every part of the world what would I have to do and what could possibly stop me from reaching this goal?
    Here is a step by step guide I found on the interwebs. Seems legit.
    The following is complete satire and should not be taken even remotely seriously. Really, not even a little. No, not even that much.
    Step 1: Buy some land that no one cares about.
    Step 2: Go through all the paperwork to recede from your current nation and have the land declared its own independant nation. Yes, this has been done before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Molossia
    Step 3: As supreme ruler of your new nation, draft and ratify some official document to declare that all citizens of your nation are permitted multi-citizenship. You may have some trouble getting it through your 1 party review and approval system, just buy everyone off with lavish gifts.
    Step 4: Become recognized by the United Nations. Previous advice to get the paperwork passed may have less than desireable results.
    Step 5: Apply for citizenship everywhere else on earth at the same time. Do NOT attempt to buy people off with lavish gifts at this stage, too easy to follow the papertrail. Stick to modest or even cheap gifts. I hear fruit baskets and chocolates do help.
    Step 6: Any nation which denies your citizenship, you simply unrecognize as a nation.
    If you are currently drafting a serious reply to explain in detail how this would not work because of X, you are doing it wrong.
    Sounds pretty easy right?
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-08-16 at 05:16 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone else noticed getting sleepy from closing your eyes and sitting still?

I have my pair of sunglasses mostly for driving. Not because I can't see anything, but when I squint my eyes, I get very sleepy very quickly. With sunglasses I am completely awake.
    And today the dentists light was shining at my eyes, so I closed them and shortly after dozed off on the chair. While having my wisdom teeth removed.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

How fast must something rotate to appear to be rotating slowly in the opposite direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #966
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    How fast must something rotate to appear to be rotating slowly in the opposite direction?
    If you're talking about watching a video or TV show, it depends on the frame rate. If you're talking about real life, it doesn't work that way.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    If you're talking about watching a video or TV show, it depends on the frame rate. If you're talking about real life, it doesn't work that way.
    No, I've seen little toys that have a row of lights on a bar that spins really fast and eventually it looks like the lights stop spinning and then start spinning slowly in the opposite direction.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

No, I've seen little toys that have a row of lights on a bar that spins really fast and eventually it looks like the lights stop spinning and then start spinning slowly in the opposite direction.
    oh, thats a function of how often the lights blink.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn you... I was about to say that!
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    oh, thats a function of how often the lights blink.
    Is it? I never noticed the lights blinking.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it? I never noticed the lights blinking.
    It really depends on what kind of light they are then.
    They could be blinking, but at such a speed that you aren't aware of it, a known feature of incandescent lights.
    As a result, when it shines on a rotating object, that object is most strongly illuminated at certain points in it's rotation. And it can thus appear to be moving slower or faster than it actually is, sometimes even appearing to be still.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #972
    Halfling in the Playground

I seem to recall seeing this same effect in spinning car wheels? Maybe I'm mistaken, but if not how does the blinking light explanation work here?

13. - Top - End - #973
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inky13112 View Post
    I seem to recall seeing this same effect in spinning car wheels? Maybe I'm mistaken, but if not how does the blinking light explanation work here?
    on tv and movies it's framerate. IRL it's an optical illusion caused by your eyes derping because of the small radial lines all moving.

your eye tries to track the spinning but can't, instead grabbing tiny bits and pieces as it wiggles (your eyes just do that). your brain has a fit, gives up, and resolves the bits as "going backward"

also yes, the toys blink. I've taken 2 of them apart in my life and they definitely blink. they just do it insanely fast.
    (btw, the motors in those things are impressive for the size and cost)
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-08-17 at 02:11 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    How much of the actual heat of the sun makes it all the way to earth, and how much of what we recieve is actually just radiation heating up matter here on earth?
    What do you mean by "actual heat"? If it is energy that leaves the sun causing the average solar KE to drop and causes the earth's average KE to rise then it is actual heat, no mater what the carrier. There are really only two main ways to get energy from the sun to the earth. One is the vast, strange, and totally fun EM spectrum. Basically photons of various energies. The other is the solar wind in which bits of the sun blow off from the corona and fly out and hit the earth. Which is comparibly minor in terms energy delivery. There are good arguments for magnetic field variations leading to internal friction here on earth but the amount of energy is dwarfed by the photon delivery meathod. And for those looking to quantium effects like tunnelling, sorry, it doesn't happen enough to really matter.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

I think I was thinking of heat transfer by convection, like when you are standing next to a fire and can feel it's heat. But since space is empty, that would be the case only for hot material ejected from the sun that hits earth, which probably wouldn't be much.

But that begs the question, if any other factors were as with a simple ordinary fire on earth, how hot would it be to stand next to to a fire of the size and intensity of the sun, where "next to" means the actual distance to the sun?

16. - Top - End - #976

BlackDragon

I think I was thinking of heat transfer by convection, like when you are standing next to a fire and can feel it's heat.
    Actually, if you're standing *next* to a fire (rather than on top of it) most of the heat you feel will be radiation--convection will be mostly heating the air above the fire.

As for how hot the sun would feel at Earth's distance, there's an equation which determines how hot a planet should be depending on its distance from the sun and its albedo (e.g. how much heat gets reflected into space). If you perform that calculation for the Earth, I believe it comes out with a figure of -23C--the greenhouse effect means it's actually warmer than that in reality, of course.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, makes sense. So the heat one feels when standing in the sun is mostly the energy from absorbing uv-radition?

18. - Top - End - #978
    Orc in the Playground

If we were just to fill the space between the sun and earth with matter, it really depends on the sort of matter and the behaviour of the matter. Take normal air for example: the air closest to the sun heats, gets lighter, goes 'up' (away from the sun), but when it gets too far from the sun it hasn't any gravity (or cold air that goes down) to have a direction and it just spreads. I don't think it's really going to work.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

19. - Top - End - #979

Woudn't rather a lot of that air collapse into the sun's gravity well?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Okay, makes sense. So the heat one feels when standing in the sun is mostly the energy from absorbing uv-radition?
    UV, Some IR, Some micowave, Some Visible, but basically yes. Much of the heat we get from the sun (most actually) comes from the ground absorbing the radiation and passing it on to the air by conduction instead of the air absorbing it directly (which then gets spread to the rest of the air by convection.

If there was an atmosphere from the sun to the earth then it would carry heat by convection, conduction, and radiation. And yes there would be all sorts of convection currents as the atmosphere would heat up close to the sun raise away from the sun go out toward the edge of the heliosphere and then fall back. Just like the majority of the sun's plasma does here in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    yep actually all of it. Since that is what actually happened. Made the sun grow, eventually it started a fusion reaction
    Last edited by sktarq; 2012-08-19 at 12:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, but we need something to fill the empty space, so we're just going to ignore that.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

22. - Top - End - #982

So we would need some kind of interstellar medium with no mass, but the ability to conduct heat...

Yup, ladies and gentlemen, we need Aether for a physics experiment.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

So we would need some kind of interstellar medium with no mass, but the ability to conduct heat...

Yup, ladies and gentlemen, we need Aether for a physics experiment.
    But wasn't that discontinued due to budget cuts?

Dragons!

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Since there's nowhere better to put this and I feel the need to ramble:

As every school boy or girl knows, if you want to improve the dissolution of a solid in a solvent, the first step you take is either heat it up or stir it.

On a more technical thermodynamic level, what you're doing is increasing the energy in the system to overcome the enthalpy of solution, which is directly related to the solubility of the powder.

However I've worked with enough powders and liquids to know that if the solvent is added in such a way as to not overly disturb the powder, you end up with a large lump of powder in the bottom of your nearly full flask.

Presumably this indicates that the solvent is locally saturated around the powder, and depending on the properties of the wet powder, it can be a right [redacted] to get it into solution (oh lactose, how I loathe you).

Now going back to the original fix of stirring or heating, if you heat the mixture, you both raise the solubility of the material in the solvent and introduce convection currents that shift the saturated solvent away.

If you stir it though, the primary method of dissolution is removal of the localised saturated solution, which leads me to my question: is there a threshold point where it's better to stir something or to heat it up, to make the solid dissolve?
    Presumably the cut off point is the boiling point of the liquid, or it's so violently stirred/shaken that the solvent is dispersed into spray, but there must be an optimal point somewhere at a sensible level.

Thoughts? Or do I just need to stop daydreaming while putting sugar in my tea?

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Since there's nowhere better to put this and I feel the need to ramble:

As every school boy or girl knows, if you want to improve the dissolution of a solid in a solvent, the first step you take is either heat it up or stir it.

On a more technical thermodynamic level, what you're doing is increasing the energy in the system to overcome the enthalpy of solution, which is directly related to the solubility of the powder.

However I've worked with enough powders and liquids to know that if the solvent is added in such a way as to not overly disturb the powder, you end up with a large lump of powder in the bottom of your nearly full flask.

Presumably this indicates that the solvent is locally saturated around the powder, and depending on the properties of the wet powder, it can be a right [redacted] to get it into solution (oh lactose, how I loathe you).

Now going back to the original fix of stirring or heating, if you heat the mixture, you both raise the solubility of the material in the solvent and introduce convection currents that shift the saturated solvent away.

If you stir it though, the primary method of dissolution is removal of the localised saturated solution, which leads me to my question: is there a threshold point where it's better to stir something or to heat it up, to make the solid dissolve?
    Presumably the cut off point is the boiling point of the liquid, or it's so violently stirred/shaken that the solvent is dispersed into spray, but there must be an optimal point somewhere at a sensible level.

Thoughts? Or do I just need to stop daydreaming while putting sugar in my tea?
    You need to stop daydreaming when putting sugar in your tea is the short answer.
    And anyway... In my humble opinion, one should not look for the method that is more efficient, and instead the method that is more easy to enact.

Also, from another angle, stirring is more effective when it's sitting in a lump as the lump is dispersed.

Dragons!

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Shouldn`t the easier to enact method be the more efficient method on the grounds that the more efficient way is harder to do.
    This is horrifying beyond anything Lovecraft ever wrote or Giger ever drew.

MCulpa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVopG...el_video_title
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192558

(Screw the point)-Doomboy911

27. - Top - End - #987
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Might as well ask this here...

Why do girls feel softer than guys? And no, the answer can't be moisturiser or female products, because I don't ever use them and am still apparently "Made of Softs!".
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

28. - Top - End - #988

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Why do girls feel softer than guys?
    I'm no expert, but I'd say it's a combination of having less skin hair and a higher percentage of body fat than a male. (Please insert your own joke about more experimentation being needed here ).

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on what exactly you mean by 'Made of softs'.

If you mean roughness of the skin, then it's different testosterone levels causing the difference between males and females, and weathering/environmental conditions.

For example, highly exposed parts of your body like the face and hands/forearms roughen up in response to UV light, wear and tear, etc. Your underarms and other *cough* less exposed areas will undoubtedly be softer.

Testosterone causes the additional body hair roughness as mentioned by factotum, but also causes the skin to thicken to a degree.

If you meant just softer overall, then it's a little more complicated with body structure, muscle tone, body fat percentages/deposition, etc and all the involved biology.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-09-12 at 09:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Hehe, thanks for the concise answers Oni & Factotum.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus