New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

Hmm, let's see... from the perspective of my social-Zenith-who-also-hits-things-with-a-hammer...

-Anima banner *looks at Malefactor anima with extreme jealousy* Although perhaps the added soak against CoDs is more valuable now.
    -Hammer/Goremaul/Grand Goremaul no longer Piercing.
    -Goremaul comparable in effectiveness to high-quality mundane hammer. Sigh @Singing Staff.
    -Shields seem fairly worthless now (because I can't use them in conjunction with my 3-dot Melee specialty).

+Extra successes on social attacks have effects!
    +UMI not obvious!
    +Free combos!
    +Stunting on every attack!

And the changes to Resistance Charms are... a mixed bag, but I can cope. At least it didn't make Iron Skin Concentration a wasted purchase, which I was worried about. I will need a different way to deal with surprise attacks if my game adopts the errata, though.

Is it just me, or is grand daiklave pretty much strictly better than grand goremaul at this point? The grand goremaul has worse speed, worse accuracy, worse defense, worse minimum damage, fewer hearthstone settings, and higher minimum Strength - its only advantage is 16B damage instead of 11L, and given that bashing soak tends to be better than lethal soak, it's not even clear that's an advantage.

Still fairly new to the system, though, so will be interested to see what others think of the errata
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-03-14 at 07:13 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Your kidding me, Luck.

I go through, one of the longest, most unlucky days of my life, and THEN you give me 2.5 errata?

it had better be good, luck…..

*Later*

…..I still don't know whether this is good or not. I'll need to check with others to see if this is good or anything….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Is it just me, or is grand daiklave pretty much strictly better than grand goremaul at this point? The grand goremaul has worse speed, worse accuracy, worse defense, worse minimum damage, fewer hearthstone settings, and higher minimum Strength - its only advantage is 16B damage instead of 11L, and given that bashing soak tends to be better than lethal soak, it's not even clear that's an advantage.

Still fairly new to the system, though, so will be interested to see what others think of the errata
    Keep in mind that before now, the Grand Goremaul was broken by means of very easily causing 1-hit kills.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Keep in mind that before now, the Grand Goremaul was broken by means of very easily causing 1-hit kills.
    Oh, I can believe it. But it seems like they may have overreacted a little (or not dialed down the grand daiklave enough, one or the other), unless 16B really is that much better than 11L. I guess they might be trying to make it so doing the maximum damage is strongly discouraged, but still an option if you really want to. Hmmm.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

It's not strictly BETTER, but in some cases it's more useful. It can knock someone out, instead of kill them.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

As if everything else wasn't enough, the blog's back. Not anything much up yet, and there's no real information on what's going to eventually go there.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm really digging the CRM errata.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I'm really digging the CRM errata.
    You mean the single line?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm going to ST a 2.5 game. Mixed group, sandbox that starts off in Kirighast and, assuming the group doesn't pack up and ship out just to mess with me, will be focused in and around Harborhead.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You mean the single line?
    Yup!
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Troll in the Playground

*downloads*
    And this comes out right after I finally gathered together all of the 2.0 books.

*prepares to have to retool all his characters*

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, does the inclusion of Ink Monkeys errata means their stuff is official now?

*nerdgasm*
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

13. - Top - End - #913
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Wait, does the inclusion of Ink Monkeys errata means their stuff is official now?

*nerdgasm*
    It's been forever, actually. Some people liked IM, some didn't, but their stuff always was official. See, for example, how all the Scrolls of Errata since Dawn Solution have come with the IM chargen rules changes.

Anyway, I'm poking over the Siderrata when I have time. Mixed feelings up to now. Some goods, some bads, some happies, and some sads.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-03-15 at 06:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

Actually I've seen ST's go either way on it.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that officially, Ink Monkeys have always been official.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #916
    Troll in the Playground

*nerdgasm*
    Ink Monkeys has always been official. Both devs are Ink Monkeys. Every current freelancer is either an Ink Monkey or someone picked by the devs. There's really no distinction between "Ink Monkey material" and "Exalted material."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

I've seen STs ban Scroll of the Monk and Scroll of Heroes.

That doesn't stop them from being official.

STs are welcome to their house rules. But they're still house rules.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #918
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    And the new Malfeas Mythos Exultant is crap.
    You'll get no disagreement from me, though I'm waiting for the writers to explain the intent behind it. It's entirely possible we're about to get a raft of Malfeas Charms that incentivize/facilitate carrying around lots of unattuned artifacts. Or it might get changed, depends.

I'd expect the wording on attunement motes to be changed for clarity and consolidation, at any rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    Hungry Tiger Technique + Two weapon, one blow + IWA still one shot anything without perfect.
    Interesting. Would you mind if I try to run some math on this?

Assume two Solars, straight out of character creation.
    One is attacking, the other defending.

Attacker has Str5, Dex5, Melee5, Spec3, Ess2. He has an orichalcum daiklave, with Acc4, and a breastplate, and gets a two-dot Stunt.
    This grants him an attack pool of 19 dice, for an average of 9.5 successes. Let's round that up to 10.

Defender has Sta5, Dex5, Melee5, Spec3, Ess2. He has an orichalcum thunderbolt shield, and a breastplate, so Def6, and gets a two-dot Stunt.
    This grants him a parry DV of 12.

The attacker will not hit the defender without luck or spending motes on an Excellency, which the latter can also spend motes on.

The attacker spends 5m, 1wp on Iron Whirlwind Attack, to make six attacks. He spends a further 1m on each one to enhance them with Hungry Tiger Technique, for a total cost of 11m, 1wp.

The first attack is 10 vs 12, and misses.
    The second attack benefits from onslaught, and is 10 vs 11. It misses.
    The third attack is 10 vs 10, and misses.
    The fourth attack is 10 vs 9. Hurrah!

The attacker's raw damage is Dam5L+Str5+1sux (sux doubled with HTT) = 12L
    The defender's soak is Nat2+Armour4 = 6L

So the attacker has a post-soak damage of 6L. Which translates into 2 lethal health levels.

The fifth attack is 10 vs 7 (since the defender now has a -1 wound penalty), which will deal a total of 3 lethal health levels.

The sixth attack is 10 vs 3 (-4 wound penalty, -5 onslaught) which will deal a total of 6 lethal health levels, knocking the defender down to his last Dying health level; only direct and immediate medical treatment can save him now.

So yes, if a Melee Solar spends 11m, 1wp on a magical flurry against someone who spends no motes defending themselves, he will kill them. This should not be a surprise.

The defender can spend 12m (stunt-to-stunt fewer motes) on their Melee Excellency to avoid all three of the attacks that actually hit him. Sure, the attacker can spend these motes too; at which point the defender can start perfecting and still come out ahead. This set-up also assumes the defender is using no passive Charms for their defense, while the attacker has already blown four of their starting Charms on this combo alone.

Alternatively, the defender could spend background dots on getting some proper armour. Artifact Reinforced Breastplate is now just Artifact 2, and would reduce the total damage from those three attacks that hit to 5L, and the defender's still standing without any defense-Charms.

So I find your conclusion inaccurate (not to mention very difficult to adjudicate since most combat doesn't take place in a vacuum).
    Last edited by Revlid; 2012-03-15 at 01:10 PM.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm.

One thing to note with the example is that Thunderbolt Shields are parry-based defensive weapons, so they don't seem to benefit from specialties unless those specialties are in shields.

Which, now that I think about it, makes a guy using an Orihalcum Thunderbolt Shield for defense and an Adamant Thunderbolt Shield for offense somewhat-viable, and also hilarious.

Hm.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

Revlid, you forgot a few things:

Averages are not the actual result. Those first 3 attacks have a non-zero chance of hitting their target (in fact, its a pretty decent chance of hitting).

You forgot to include One Weapon Two Blows in your calculations.

The expected result on a damage roll is one third the dice, not one half.

Why are you using a normal daiklave? A grand daiklave still does twice the damage for one lower accuracy.

Finally, your example opponent is a completely twinked out defensive build. If you need to go that far to survive, we have already discovered the new paranoia scheme.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2012-03-15 at 12:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #921

-Anima banner *looks at Malefactor anima with extreme jealousy* Although perhaps the added soak against CoDs is more valuable now.
    Definitely. The Malefactor anima is extremely pretty, but soak is more important than it was before.

-Goremaul comparable in effectiveness to high-quality mundane hammer.
    Yeah. I mean, an orichalcum Goremaul has the Overwhelming tag, one extra point of Accuracy, and two points of damage over an exceptional hammer. Granted, that's nice, but is it 6xp and 5 committed motes worth of nice? It's the exact same difference between a Daiklave and an exceptional short sword.

The issue is that you can't make artifact weapons much better, or they loom back into causing too much damage and splattering everything, and you can't make mundane weapons much worse without them becoming laughably useless. So you're stuck with the most balanced solution, which leaves us with somewhat underwhelming stats for artifact weapons in comparison to their mundane counterparts. But hey, most of them have hearthstone slots, so that's practically a free level-1 artifact, right there.

-Shields seem fairly worthless now (because I can't use them in conjunction with my 3-dot Melee specialty).
    Why not? If anything, they seem simpler to use with Melee than before.
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Averages are not the actual result. Those first 3 attacks have a non-zero chance of hitting their target (in fact, its a pretty decent chance of hitting).
    True.... except averages are used to show average results. Which is generally what's done for examples.

Why are you using a normal daiklave? A grand daiklave still does twice the damage for one lower accuracy.
    Probably to make it as baseline as he could.
    Finally, your example opponent is a completely twinked out defensive build. If you need to go that far to survive, we have already discovered the new paranoia scheme.
    If twinked out means using a shield, non-artifact armor, and no defensive charms...

Yeah, I'm not buying it.

Why not? If anything, they seem simpler to use with Melee than before.
    The issue would be that you'd need a specialization in shields, which wouldn't allow you to specialize in, say, Swords.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2012-03-15 at 12:57 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ettin in the Playground

The specialty rule needs to change anyways. It's not broken to allow players to purchase as many specialty dots as they like, so long as they don't stack above 3 dice in any given situation.

Protection of Celestial Bliss is badass, but I would think that costless perfects would be bad for the system.

24. - Top - End - #924

If I can't use averages when producing a mathematical simulation based off averages, I'm not sure what you want me to use. Gut instinct?

You forgot to include One Weapon Two Blows in your calculations.
    I didn't forget. I deliberately ignored it, because it's not supplemental and so can be used on any or none of the attacks. It's a judgement call on each attack whether the chance of hitting is good enough to warrant a three-mote expenditure (pushing the cost of the combo up to a possible total of 29m, 1wp), and I didn't want the hassle of making that call in a supposedly neutral whitebox.

*slaps head* Of course. Edited, thanks.

Daiklave is a two-dot artifact, Thunderbolt Shield is a two-dot artifact. Equity between the opponents.

My example opponents both have Attribute 5, Attribute 5, Ability 5, Specialty 3, and a two-dot artifact. The attacker needs four offensive Melee Charms, the defender needs no Charms. In what way is the defender twinked?
    Last edited by Revlid; 2012-03-15 at 01:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #925

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    The specialty rule needs to change anyways. It's not broken to allow players to purchase as many specialty dots as they like, so long as they don't stack above 3 dice in any given situation.
    A further necessary stipulation: no mutually exclusive specialties. The example generally given is Dodge (Armoured) and Dodge (No Armour), but others work.

I'd stack the number of specialty dots allowed to an ability at (Ability +1), with no mutually-exclusive specialties allowed, and any dice granted by specialties capped at 3.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

If I can't use averages when producing a mathematical simulation based off averages, I'm not sure what you want me to use. Gut instinct?
    Weighted statistics. There's a certain percentage that the attack will hit with a certain number of extra successes. I'm not sure how to do it without brute forcing it, mind you, but it's there.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

O_o
    Why?
    I've done the maths. Roll two ten sided dice, you only have a 36% chance of getting no successes.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    O_o
    Why?
    I've done the maths. Roll two ten sided dice, you only have a 36% chance of getting no successes.
    For any given dice, you have a 4/10 chance to get a success. That's pretty close to 1/3.

Remember, 10's don't count as 2 successes on damage dice.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Each die has just more than one third of a chance (2:5) to roll a 7, 8, 9 or 10. 10s don't score double successes, so each die gives you roughly two-fifths health levels.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

30. - Top - End - #930

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    O_o
    Why?
    The simplest way of getting averages in Exalted is to halve the number of dice thrown, since the Exalted (who you're generally playing as) get one success on a 7-9, and two on a 10. So on 100 dice, you'll get an average of 50 successes.

When rolling raw damage, you don't double rolled 10s (except without magic making it so). This reduces the number of successes rolled out of 100 from 50 to 40. Which is closer to a third than a half when you want to do quick-and-rough calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian
    Weighted statistics. There's a certain percentage that the attack will hit with a certain number of extra successes. I'm not sure how to do it without brute forcing it, mind you, but it's there.
    Interesting, but not something I'd want to spend time on in a casual analysis of a fantasy kung-fu fight.