New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

I have incarnated Infernals (from Exalted, a game I don't play) into D&D (another game I don't play). Such is my love for Infernals.

(The problem is that stuff like DitV, IAWA, and Mouse Guard are already perfect in every way, so there's nothing to 'brew...)

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so I've played with this idea before, but I decided to update it for 2.5.

The Ultimate Social Character: The Sexiest City Alive.

An essence 10 Moonsilver or Orichalcum alchemical, with:
    A base appearance of 10
    5 purchases of the fourth appearance augmentation (appearance 15)
    A purchase of the fifth appearance augmentation, with 45 motes spent activating it (appearance 30)
    Orichalcum Wings of the Raptor (appearance 33)
    Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations with Ultimate Ardor Upgrade (full appearance may be employed as MDV penalty/bonus, without limits. Also anyone who has sex with (within?) the city is subject to particularly effective mental influence)

Due to lack of stacking in 2.5, this is (I believe) the maximum. If anyone has suggestions for an alternate appearance boosting item I would welcome suggestions.

Next:
    Performance, Presence, and Socialize all at 10.
    Manipulation and charisma given same boosts as appearance (to 30 and 30)
    Clockwork Attribute Perfection Nodes installed for Charisma and Manipulation, with Metaconductive Circuitry (all dice pools may be traded for 1/2 successes + essence bonus successes)
    Conviction 5 + Patriotism Provoking Display (2 willpower to resist social attacks to support a group, conviction is automatic successes on the roll, makes it unnatural mental influence)
    Pheromone Regulation System (everyone within 330 yards is subject to increased willpower to resist preyed upon emotions, specifically including seduction)
    Emotive Aesthetics of the Body Electric (makes social attacks without speech or action)
    Synergy Promoting Upgrade + Communal Supremacy (the maximum number of teamwork providers increases to 33, all teamwork dice are automatic successes, each teamwork die replaces on of the base dice with an automatic success)

All told...
    All individuals coming within 330 yards of the city are subject to a social attack (unnatural mental influence) consisting of 35 automatic successes against which they are at -(33 - their appearance) MDV to resist every few minutes. It costs 3 wp + the effect of whatever bonus successes are involved (likely a lot) to resist. This incites them to join the city in a citywide orgy. As people join this gathering of the sockless, the attack increases to 70 automatic successes. Anyone who gives into the orgy is subject to a further, undodgeable social attack of the alchemical's choice.

I may be misreading the benefits of clockwork attribute perfection nodes, in which case the attack's automatic successes are -10 from listed, but even so...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Okay, so I've played with this idea before, but I decided to update it for 2.5.

The Ultimate Social Character: The Sexiest City Alive.

An essence 10 Moonsilver or Orichalcum alchemical, with:
    A base appearance of 10
    5 purchases of the fourth appearance augmentation (appearance 15)
    A purchase of the fifth appearance augmentation, with 45 motes spent activating it (appearance 30)
    Orichalcum Wings of the Raptor (appearance 33)
    Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations with Ultimate Ardor Upgrade (full appearance may be employed as MDV penalty/bonus, without limits. Also anyone who has sex with (within?) the city is subject to particularly effective mental influence)

Due to lack of stacking in 2.5, this is (I believe) the maximum. If anyone has suggestions for an alternate appearance boosting item I would welcome suggestions.

Next:
    Performance, Presence, and Socialize all at 10.
    Manipulation and charisma given same boosts as appearance (to 30 and 30)
    Clockwork Attribute Perfection Nodes installed for Charisma and Manipulation, with Metaconductive Circuitry (all dice pools may be traded for 1/2 successes + essence bonus successes)
    Conviction 5 + Patriotism Provoking Display (2 willpower to resist social attacks to support a group, conviction is automatic successes on the roll, makes it unnatural mental influence)
    Pheromone Regulation System (everyone within 330 yards is subject to increased willpower to resist preyed upon emotions, specifically including seduction)
    Emotive Aesthetics of the Body Electric (makes social attacks without speech or action)
    Synergy Promoting Upgrade + Communal Supremacy (the maximum number of teamwork providers increases to 33, all teamwork dice are automatic successes, each teamwork die replaces on of the base dice with an automatic success)

All told...
    All individuals coming within 330 yards of the city are subject to a social attack (unnatural mental influence) consisting of 35 automatic successes against which they are at -(33 - their appearance) MDV to resist every few minutes. It costs 3 wp + the effect of whatever bonus successes are involved (likely a lot) to resist. This incites them to join the city in a citywide orgy. As people join this gathering of the sockless, the attack increases to 70 automatic successes. Anyone who gives into the orgy is subject to a further, undodgeable social attack of the alchemical's choice.

I may be misreading the benefits of clockwork attribute perfection nodes, in which case the attack's automatic successes are -10 from listed, but even so...
    Haven't read it all, but an Orichalcum Infinite Resplendance Amulet gets you +4 Appearance, so replace the Wings of the Raptor for another +1 to Appearance.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Duly noted.

By the by, this concept was developed in honor of our very own primordial of free love, Lix Lorn. Just for the record.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

A noble and worthy goal. I salute you for your efforts.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    By the by, this concept was developed in honor of our very own primordial of free love, Lix Lorn. Just for the record.
    I knew my Lix Lorn sense was tingling for a reason!
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Awesome stuff Xefas, and good luck in Your fight against Bookworm.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally!

Does anyone have any idea of a Charm allowing a Solar to pull this (spoilers for Fate/Zero) trick off?

I'll settle for the army. I don't want to summon a desert.

And if there's nothing in canon Charms, a homebrew would be nice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ok, quick question:

Which infernal excellency is best suited to War? I would like to know your opinion..
    Does anyone have any idea of a Charm allowing a Solar to pull this (spoilers for Fate/Zero) trick off?
    It is fair folks fantasy!
    Last edited by Madwand; 2012-03-26 at 05:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

Depends on what type of War. Large armies, guerrilla campaigns, etc.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    Ok, quick question:

Which infernal excellency is best suited to War? I would like to know your opinion..
    The answer is the same as all others... how does your character wage war?

If they like to do tricky stuff, Ebon Dragon. If they use the appropriate amount of force, SWLIHN. If they just go overboard and use the entire Realm army to crush a village, Malefas. And so on.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

12. - Top - End - #1182

Depends on what type of War. Large armies, guerrilla campaigns, etc.
    Assume gradual build up from small guerrilla force to large army. I know that diffrent excellencies are good for diffrent types of war. It is why I have such hard time to make choice..

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Incidentally!

Army summoning is something Raksha can do pretty well, since they can just shunt their minions into Elsewhere at will. Solars, though... honestly, no idea. I'm not even sure how much it fits them to summon armies out of nowhere.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking along the lines of Glorious Solar Army. Or something like that.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

By learning Raksha charms, of course. Or by being Abyssals and killing enough Extras and then using Arise and Slaughter.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Troll in the Playground

I'm thinking along the lines of Glorious Solar Army. Or something like that.
    Have them all tiger warriors with a high essence charm that summons your army when dramatically appropriate.

"You and what army?"

A proper dawn king should be able to answer that by making a dramatic gesture and having several thousand soldiers appear out of nowhere ready to fight.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

Faith: 6.

17. - Top - End - #1187

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Have them all tiger warriors with a high essence charm that summons your army when dramatically appropriate.

"You and what army?"

A proper dawn king should be able to answer that by making a dramatic gesture and having several thousand soldiers appear out of nowhere ready to fight.
    "surprise fleets" should be enough on most cases. It's not a solar theme to bring people out of nowhere... So you have to make do with Artifacts, Sorcery and Other Splats.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    What game? If I can play a Solar, Lunar, or Infernal, I'm in.
    Same question, except "if you're fine with a new player".
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

Incidentally!

Hand of the Great Maker with a Protoshinmaic Vortex, and spam Wyld-Shaping Technique to create soldiers.

Alternatively, She Who Lives In Her Name Principle Emulation, and then buy her version of Wyld-Shaping Technique, because it has an upgrade that lets it be used in Creation proper.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so...

My friend and I are making a new type of Exalted (yes yes, I know). The fluff is that they gain their magical power through their connections with people, places and things - that is, Backgrounds.

Each caste has Caste Backgrounds, which are cheaper to buy, etc. etc. Not important right now.

The thing I want to ask, however... We've decided to use Past Life, but give it different mechanics because, well, these aren't Infernals. The idea is that, once per story per Background rating, you can spend 1 willpower to temporarily 'learn' a charm that you have the prerequisites for (that your Past Life could have known - if you're Akuma, no taking Infernal charms, etc.). How balanced is this? How long should it last?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Troll in the Playground

I don't have any advice to offer but this idea intrigues me.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

22. - Top - End - #1192

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    The thing I want to ask, however... We've decided to use Past Life, but give it different mechanics because, well, these aren't Infernals. The idea is that, once per story per Background rating, you can spend 1 willpower to temporarily 'learn' a charm that you have the prerequisites for (that your Past Life could have known - if you're Akuma, no taking Infernal charms, etc.). How balanced is this? How long should it last?
    Well, many Charms would be useless for less than a scene, so let's go ahead and make that the baseline. I can think of a few different models:

• One scene, rating times per story - this makes it a vaguely useful boon on par with some of the social backgrounds, but less useful than Artifact, so it would be a rarer background; the greatest benefit lies in being able to pick any qualifying Charm whenever you use it
    • One scene, unlimited times per story, set list - this is an interesting point of balance; one of the major benefits to the background would be modularity; in this case, that is exchanged for more-or-less permanently having additional Charms, at a cost - which might need to be increased
    • Indefinite with commitment - perhaps too strong; this makes it a definite plus, especially if the character can commit multiple points, but ultimately sets it in the Artifact range of utility, particularly if used with a set list

Of course, since even my best game boiled down to the Dusk (and sometimes the Dawn) soloing everything because the rest of the party couldn't so much as tie their shoes, my estimates on balance might be a bit off.
    Last edited by Gensh; 2012-03-26 at 04:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Balance wise, it's going to be very, very, very hard to make it work. The Eclipse Anima power is one of the more contentious balance points in the game, and this seems like it could be much, much worse.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #1194

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Balance wise, it's going to be very, very, very hard to make it work. The Eclipse Anima power is one of the more contentious balance points in the game, and this seems like it could be much, much worse.
    I believe you misread; it's only Charms for which the character already has the prerequisites. While situationally very useful, it's not a huge leap in power. Compare a 3-dot Artifact for 9xp vs a new Charm for 8-10xp. Obviously, there's a whole lot of wiggle room there depending on which Charm is chosen, but 1) that's a fault of Charm design; 2) it's really only putting the character a few sessions' worth of XP ahead at most. Unless Yuki changes it so that the character can get multiple Charms at once. Then it becomes quite a bit hairier.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

Ack, you're right.

I think the best comparison point would be Alchemicals: they can do something similar, and have built in costs.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Troll in the Playground

Gensh, is your new avatar 'Disco Mummy Shintai'?

Because that would be awesome.

27. - Top - End - #1197

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Gensh, is your new avatar 'Disco Mummy Shintai'?

Because that would be awesome.
    Nah, that's just my regular swag. It's hard to tell but I'm using Tron Lines Shintai.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

Tron Lines Shintai?

I have to go make a new avatar now. I have to show you how its done.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    The obvious solution would be to fix the Eclipse Anima power rather than trying to balance against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Troll in the Playground

You mean like how they 'fixed' the Twilight anima by making it almost completely worthless without having a specific charm active?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show