New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Saer's Manor

Saer listened to her story with a carefully neutral face. But sometime during the second half of it, when he heard the tone of sadness creep into her voice, he stood up.

He walked over to her slowly, the cat and dog long forgotten. Just as she finished speaking, he reached a hand forward and carefully pushed her hair back, then slid both his hands down her arms to her claws, so long as she allowed. He wanted to take those gloves off, but they were a security for her...He left them alone for the moment.

Kneeling slowly to one knee, he sought out her eyes. And if she would meet his gaze, he answered her in a quiet voice. "You are lovely, just as you are." One hand released her claw so he could reach up and curl his palm along the side of her face. The fireplace flickered in such a way that the scar over his left eye and brow stood out stronger than usual. And, when he turned his head just...so...there was a strange, barely-there unevenness to the shape of his eyeball itself. Like it had been sliced in half then glued back together slightly off. Only in the right light did it ever show. "I never want you hidden from me."
    Last edited by kitcatk8; 2012-02-24 at 12:26 AM.
    My avatar Saer made by the lovely, talented Gnomish Wanderer! Thank you!

I try to check OOC thread, but I'm not terribly loyal to it. Best way to get my attention is to PM me. Harass me, please!

KCDC

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

She shakes her head slowly. I have to hide my blood or they'll kill me. When the hair is pushed back from her face, her features show her as very young for both a drow and a dragon.

But as she meets his eyes, the scar stands out. Huh. She never really gave it a second thought before.

She raises a hand and touches the claw ever so lightly to his face, running it down the scar, barely touching it. What happened?
    Last edited by orb_of_blood; 2012-02-24 at 12:36 AM.
    Thank-you Ceika so much for my awesome avatar!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground

Saer was just about to reply when she reached up her hand towards the left side of his face. He tried with all his will to remain still as she ran that claw down it with so soft a touch.

But even so soft a touch was unbearable.

She was able to graze down about half of it before he couldn't stand it anymore, and he winced with a faint hissing breath and pulled away, reaching a hand up to grab her wrist so she wouldn't pursue the action. He didn't hold her painfully, just firmly. His eyes were shut tightly, his face grimacing, and he shook his head in a jerky motion. "You...shouldn't do that."

Of course, he hadn't answered her question. At all.

I try to check OOC thread, but I'm not terribly loyal to it. Best way to get my attention is to PM me. Harass me, please!

KCDC

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

Her eyes widen in surprise when he catches her claw.

Does it hurt? She couldn't imagine why he'd stop her if it didn't. That's odd. It must have been formed by some sort of magic then. Probably something strong.

She bites her lip, casting her eyes downwards. I didn't mean to hurt you.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Pixie in the Playground

A wry, choked laugh pushed through Saer's lips before he could stop it. Hurt? 'Hurt' was one word to describe it.

But then her softer words found his ears. The mirthless chuckle faded, and he forced his eyes to blink open. The throbbing was still there, still persistent. It would take several minutes for it to completely fade, but it was bearable.

He released his hold on her wrist with some effort. "I know, Darkl--...Nixa." He stopped the nickname halfway through, just before it fully slipped out. He only meant to speak it with affection, not out of superiority or dominance as was the case with so many of his other labels for his girls. It was difficult for him to have to censor it. And why should he care? He wasn't the kind to let others' feelings get in the way of what he wanted to do or say.

Not until very recently, it seemed. For some reason, her happiness mattered to him. Which was disturbing in and of itself.

KCDC

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

She smiles, tries to communicate through her eyes that she appreciates him using her name and not... actually... she's suddenly unsure. It's not as though 'Nixa' is her real name, so why should she care what he calls her? 'Nixa' was Draaxar's name for her, as was 'Vivilandra'.

It doesn't matter anyways. She finds the words she'd asked before and repeats them. What happened?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

He shook his head again, but it was a harsher movement this time. He was frustrated. Frustrated that she'd touched it and brought out the age-old pain. Frustrated that she'd witnessed the weakness. Frustrated that he couldn't fully speak his mind as he wished without upsetting her. Frustrated that she was persisting in this line of questioning. His lips were set in a hard frown, but he knew she wouldn't let up with some sort of answer. "Another part of the price for freedom. It happened a long time ago."

As testy as he felt, he was keeping himself remarkably calm under the circumstances, though the edge of his emotions were in his voice. Another line of questioning he was unhappy with. It seemed anything to do with the demon's past, he didn't wish to talk about. But then, she also pushed on all the right buttons.

Still kneeling next to her chair, he suddenly felt awkward. He'd come over to comfort her -Which, again, why in the Hells should he have cared in the first place?- and now it was turning into something he hadn't anticipated.

Still, out of stubbornness, and because the scar still throbbed, he remained kneeling, but he didn't meet her gaze. His creased brow and eyes were focused somewhere between the arm of her chair and her gloved hand.

KCDC

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

She could sense his irritation and uncomfortableness and thought that it was all directed at her.

Slowly, gently, she cups her gloved hand under Saer's chin. Roles reversed, as he had done this to her several times past. She gently tries to coax his face up so that his eyes were on hers again. She conveys her sympathy with that soft gaze.

She won't continue asking about it. It was obviously upsetting him, so she resolves to silence about it for the time being.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

Saer growled and tensed when she reached down a hand to touch under his chin. He nearly pulled back, simply out of that Pride which was, deep down, who he was. It was his role.

But something about her touch told him, instinctively, that she wasn't doing it to be dominant over him. It wasn't malicious. It was...different. And so though he tensed, he didn't pull away. His eyes raised to meet hers, and at first, his gaze was still hard and unyielding.

Her look of sympathy was misunderstood. His stony expression flinched and he looked back down, raising a hand to touch it to the back of hers. He didn't remove it from its place, but he shook his head. "Do not pity me." There was a soft growl to his words, but it wasn't in anger towards her. It was towards the situation he'd allowed himself to get in. And already his mind was trying to find a way to come out of it unscathed.

Being vulnerable was certainly not Saer's strong suit.

KCDC

10. - Top - End - #220
    Pixie in the Playground

Nixa sighs. She believes that he's angry with her, and she doesn't understand why. It's beginning to irritate her that everything she does to try and make him more comfortable ends up with him mad at her.

So she releases him, letting her hand retract back to the arm of the chair. In fact, if he wasn't completely in her way, she'd probably get up and leave right about now. As it was, however, the most she can do is roll her eyes and look away.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

Her frustration was as easily felt as his own. That wasn't what he meant! And when her hand dropped away, he protested with his voice raised slightly. "I didn't--!"

Why are you justifying yourself to a slave?

The demon growled again, darker this time, and ran a hand back through his hair, curling it at the back of his neck and cursing quietly. "Hells."

He was not good at this.

The hand at the back of his neck went out to his side in an at-a-loss gesture. "I'm not angry at you. Just all..." Saer motioned to the general area, "this is...confusing."

KCDC

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, that comment has confused Nixa as well. As gently as she can, she tries to move Saer aside so that she can stand. Perhaps we need a few hours to ourselves then? She certainly needs a few to sort out her muddle of mixed emotions.

Then it just pops into her mind. Maybe now isn't the best time to request it, but now that she's realized it's almost impossible to ignore the emptiness in her stomach. Andaress, she hasn't fed properly in a month. And she'd been hungry before he met him a week ago! She'd just been distracted since then.

Uhm, Saer? Do you think I could have... say, three days? Alone? Outside in a nearby forest? Please?
    Last edited by orb_of_blood; 2012-02-24 at 11:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes, perhaps a few hours might do them good. Although nothing good seemed to happen when they were separated. But then her next words came.

"Thr--What in the Hells for?" He stood up and looked down at her incredulously. "Alone!? I can't--. No." He shook his head vehemently. "No. Absolutely not."

KCDC

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

She'd been afraid he'd refuse. She didn't want to sneak away, but she would if he wouldn't let her go. For some bizarre reason, starving to death wasn't exactly an appealing idea. So she tries again.

Okay, just one day then. A few hours? Yes, I could probably do it in just a few hours if I was quick. Please Saer, I can't tell you why, you wouldn't understand. Or he would understand. And that would scare her even more.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Pixie in the Playground

The demon growled and crossed his arms in front of him. "Try me." His attitude wasn't angry, but guarding and vigilant. For him to let one of two of his charges out into the forest, alone, where she could get well and truly killed, she had better have a damned good reason. His protective skin was showing again. And he wore it much better than the vulnerable one.

KCDC

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

She hesitates. What to say?

'Well Saer I need to slaughter an innocent forest creature so that I can drink it's blood and devour it's flesh before I starve to death?' That didn't seem like a particularly wise option. Besides she doesn't want to let on that this is what she's forced to do for her draconic blood.

Her only other option is to lie. But Nixa doesn't like lieing. She hasn't lied to Saer once yet. She continues to pause. Spell reagent gathering? It's posed as a question, and is obviously not the truth. But what else can she do save sneaking away?

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

Saer raised his eyebrows, obviously not amused, and continued to look down at her. "Try again."

KCDC

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

She sighs. Well, so much for that. Maybe the truth will get her somewhere. However she'd have to be selective in what she says.

Unless it's your plan to watch me die, I recommend you let me leave for a few hours.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, that was certainly one way to get his attention.

The demon frowned, took a step back, and half-sat on the arm of the chair across from her with his arms still crossed. He considered a long moment. Obviously, this bit of information was difficult for her to give up.

Fair is fair.

"You tell me the full truth of why you need this time in the forest, and in exchange..."

Be careful with this. You don't want to give too much away. Or the wrong thing. This is something you need to consider very caref--

"...I'll tell you why I killed Neyu." She might assume he was speaking of the woman he'd addressed before when they spoke of 'love'. And, indeed, he was. But if she required clarification, he'd give that to her as well. He simply hadn't thought of referring to her any other way than by her name.

I don't know why I even bother.

KCDC

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

Nixa has to think about it. Is it worth it?

If he finds out what she does, he will know:
    a. just how powerful she is
    b. that she feeds in a manner that scares even her an incredible amount
    c. One of her major weaknesses
    d. That her dragon blood was given to her and she was not born with it
    e. That Draaxar is her uncle and Skel'iim is her father. Sort of.

Conclusion: Not worth even that tidbit of information.

She shakes her head slowly. I- I'm sorry. I want to know, I do... but I can't tell you. I can't. Y- you wouldn't understand.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

My. Well, this was interesting.

The demon's eyebrows raised in mild surprise to her discomfort. He knew what a curious creature she was. To have her hold it back this much meant it was a powerful piece of information indeed.

"Very well." Saer's head tipped slightly, silver crescents following suit. "Name your price in information, Nixa Vivilandra." And by addressing her as such, he was treating her as an equal, something rare for him. It was clear he wasn't about to let this one go. Not with the way she was acting.

KCDC

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

Again she shakes her head. There's no price on it. It's information that's incredibly private. It's very simple Saer. Eight hours alone and unobserved in a forest. That's all I ask.

She hesitates before finishing, but if you absolutely forbid it, I will not go.

And that is a lie, well and truly. She has no intention of staying away but she manages to conceal the lie very well under a steady gaze.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

Saer took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. He watched her eyes, gauging her, then finally shook his head. "No."

He stood up from his half-sit. "Trust begets trust. If you deny it of me, I have no choice but to do the same to you."

He was done. This game had gone on long enough. "You may go to your room. Let me know if you change your mind." His tone had turned from curious to cold and superior once more. Simple as that, she was dismissed. He didn't look at her as he exited the room.

KCDC

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright then. She'd have to risk sneaking away. A shame that he wouldn't just let her go, but she wasn't going to let herself starve just to please him.

The best he could offer her was some pre-killed pre-cooked slabs of meat. Hardly a meal befitting a dragon.

She slowly makes her way up to her room. Once up she opens her bedroom door and steps out onto the balcony. Could it have been just a few hours ago that she'd been tossing snow at Saer from up here?

She stretches her wings from her back, hearing the dress rip again. It doesn't matter, she'll sew it back together again later. Leaving now and quickly would be the best option.

She leaps from the balcony and her wings catch the air. She glides away, desprately hoping that no-one will notice she's left. If she hunts quickly and feeds on only one animal she may be able to return in... say, six hours?

To the left and several miles away there lies the beginning of a forest. She turns to this and glides there as best she can. When she can feel herself dropping out of the air she lands and continues on foot as quickly as she can. Not half an hour later she's slipping into the woods.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

((Sorry for the recent slowness! Busy, busy weekend.))

When Saer had returned to his own room, he'd summoned Reece.

It wasn't too difficult to guess exactly what she'd do when left to her own devices. Unless he locked her up well and truly, there was no way he'd be able to keep her from going to do what she wished. Still, he was surprised how much it pained him to feel her heat signature rush away so quickly. For how well he could see her in his own home, she may as well have had screaming alarms attached to her at all times. The moment she left, he knew.

Reece came to him a few moments later. "Reece, please have Caleb come see me." He couldn't go himself. She knew him too well, and odds were she'd be watching for it with hyper-vigilance.

Caleb was one of the stablehands. His shoulder-length sandy blonde hair was nondescript, much as his face. His eyes were brown. Purely, simply brown. He was short for a man, around 5'8", and almost looked gaunt, but that was just Caleb. The boy's face was tanned from the sun, but no particular features stuck out, even as such. His bland presence was what made him such a successful thief when he was a boy, and his upbringing had taught him to be resourceful in both tracking and traps. But even the most neutral individual casts off heat. The day Caleb had tried to steal from Saer was the last time he'd attempted to thieve anyone. And at only 15, the demon saw potential in the boy not previously tapped. Now, at 17, he posed as a stablehand by day, but his many other qualities were why Saer kept Caleb around.

Saer motioned Caleb forward and explained the situation to him. The young man's eyes glinted with excitement, just as Saer knew they would. "She's already been gone 35 minutes. You'll have to be quick to catch up with her. Don't get caught, don't get hurt. And let me know right away if she is in any trouble. Clear?"

Not much for words, Caleb just smiled and left.

Everything left a trail. Nixa was no exception. The hardest part was finding the spot where she'd stopped gliding and started walking. After that, Caleb simply did what he did best.

It would be between 2 and 3 hours after her leaving before he might be able to catch sight of her.

KCDC

26. - Top - End - #236
    Pixie in the Playground

As the manor comes into view, Nixa slows. She's still aching for physical activity. To run, fly, anything that will use up this energy.

But she has to be careful. Can't alert Saer to the fact that she's been gone.

She circles the manor, looking for the best way inside without drawing attention to herself.

Her balcony! Of course!

It takes a running leap, a few flaps of those powerful wings, and she manages to hoist herself up and onto the balcony.

She's have never dreamed of doing that without the energy from the deer-blood.

Completely believing that she's fooled Saer, she begins to pace in her room, for lack of any other way to rid herself of the overwhelming energy.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground

There came a soft knock at her door when she'd barely paced back the second time.

A familiar, mature voice cleared its throat. "Ahem...Miss Nixa..."

Reece.

"Lord Saer asked me to deliver a message to you, verbatim: 'Now that she's returned from her field trip, do tell her Highness that her presence is requested in my room. Immediately would be preferable so long as it fits into her busy schedule.' " It's obvious Reece makes the summons sound much more pleasant with far less sarcasm than Saer had originally done.

Reece paused for a beat, then asks again quietly, "...Miss Nixa...?"

KCDC

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

((Okay, last post for me. Good-night! ))

She laughs almost cruelly. Alright, I'll be right out.

The blood has made her restless. It's made her feisty and strong-willed, it's given her both strength and foolishness. Let's call it a drug for dragons.

In other words, Nixa is actually looking for a fight.

Before leaving the room, she snatches a dagger off of the side table. Not to use as a weapon, but if he questions her, as she knows he probably will, she has a demonstration in mind.

She leaves her room, tucking the dagger into her pocket. Thank-you for the message, Reece. Her voice is pleasant if a little fast, but that smile... that is one evil smile... I'm going to be quite interested in what he has to say.

Time to defend her blood.
    Last edited by orb_of_blood; 2012-02-26 at 01:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, Reece certainly didn't know what to say to that, other than it made him a little bit uncomfortable.

He blinked as Nixa exited, gave the dagger a cursory glance, but otherwise said nothing as he nodded vaguely in the direction of Saer's room and led the way.

The demon's door was open. His room boasted the most space out of any of the bedrooms, as would only be fitting. His floors were hard cedar wood with a series of rugs laid down beneath the bed, the armoire, side tables, desk, and furs spread out in front of the -you guessed it- fireplace. Although this fireplace was smaller only than the one in the sitting room downstairs, it was much more elaborate in its adornments. The mantle was a marble carving with a set of wings -which may have been either dragon or demonic in nature- arching magnificently along the top of it. The marble was white, veined with gray and black.

The four-poster cherry wood king bed was decorated with deep maroon and black blankets and sheets, and the same theme carried throughout the room.

A door to a walk-in closet was at one corner of the room while the door to the master bathroom was at the other.

As he'd had to do since knowing of her arrival, everything was charmed to prevent her burning through it with her exhaustive output of heat.

And, when Nixa had entered enough to see, she would witness Saer sitting at one of the fireplace chairs with Caleb standing in front of him, speaking in low tones. Although, the moment the stablehand caught sight of Nixa, his voice caught, and he had a hard time trying to come up with the words he'd been about to say.

KCDC

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

I should have known he was yours. Nixa says when she sees Caleb. She still has the vaguely amused tone, as if everything was a joke to her.

Realizing how uncomfortable it would make the young stablehand, and how irritated it may make Saer, she blows a kiss to Caleb.

She's still standing in the doorway, leaning against it, but she's having trouble keeping herself still, and is forced into the room and up to them both by restlessness.