New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Fall in the Phoenix Lands - IC [L5R]

"Samurai-tachi," Makoto says, motioning the others. "I believe we have found his learning materials." She does not move them; even touching them might convey the Taint. "We should get these to an Emerald Magistrate right away. Perhaps there will be one we can contact on our journey forward?"
    Last edited by MrInsecure; 2012-02-25 at 09:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

Ishida checks over the bushi's shoulder, and she can hear the softest growl under his breath as he steps away. "As I stated before, there is bound to be one in Holy Home Village, which is our next stop. It seems the best place to dispose of such a thing."

The young Lion remains aloof, his hands in his sleeves and almost glowering as he averts his gaze. It wasn't his place to complain if a Crab was being too familiar with a peasant, though at least she was fair enough to warn the eta about the Taint. "You and Toriko-san alike, seeing ghosts in the shadows when they are none." Ishida's comment is spoken mildly, eying the doorway to the inn.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

The samurai wipe themselves off, and retire once more to the warm comfort of the inn. A lantern in the empty common room flickers, and the fire in the hearth warms the samurai after their momentary ordeal in the cold street. Each retires to bed, except for Toriko who resumes her watch. The rest of the night is peaceful, and even the wind seems to mark the memorial of the dead peasant, howling no more.

As the Jade Sun rises over the horizon, the samurai awaken, bath, and make their way downstairs. The innkeeper has placed small bowls of rice out for the samurai, and Otomo Fujiyari, looking significantly less green today, is already sitting at the table and hungrily eating.

He waved a hand to the samurai as they make their way down the stairs, motioning for them to join him at his table. "Ah, samurai-sans, good morning." He barely pauses between bites to speak, the occasional grain of rice slipping out of his mouth as he talks while chewing. "I saw you obtained the tax ledgers, good, good." The otomo pauses again to shove another bite of rice into his maw. "We should be going then. Long ways to travel today. I'd like to reach Holy Home Village by tonight, or tomorrow at the latest. You should have some breakfast, it is important to keep ones strength up. I trust there were no troubles obtaining the tax documents, or any other irregularities you noticed regarding the villages ledgers and figures." He eyed the samurai expectantly, as if waiting for them to begin rattling off obscure facets of the tax code at any moment.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Makoto clears her throat, now wearing her heavy armor with her kabuto resting on the table. "Actually, Otomo-sama, there were several troubles. Major ones, in fact." She heaves the satchel from the previous night up so it may be seen, scrolls still inside, undisturbed. "Last night, we were attacked by a peasant who had trained in maho. Due to our efforts, there were no additional casualties beyond the maho-tsukai himself. There are two scrolls in this satchel that I believe contain the secrets to his dark magic."

She bows her head. "My lord, I must implore caution. We cannot be certain that this will be an isolated incident."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

Kaigenji leans forward as Makoto finishes, activating a secret Bayushi technique known as "playing off". He keeps his knuckles planted on the floor to avoid dirtying his sleeves by brushing them on the table and head lowered ever so slightly to show the necessary respect. "Indeed, milord, though this incident should not distract us from our goal. Instead it is the suggestion of this humble servant that we surrender all pertinent information to the nearest magistrates and allow the Phoenix' own facilities to handle what is, most assuredly, their problem."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since the end of the skimrish, Toriko was silent, unnatural so. Thankfully, however, no one seemed to notice that... well, the young samurai seldom talked, so a prolonged moment of quiet was to be expected from her.

There was little quiet within her, to be honest. The entire fight, a crashdown with a maho-tskuai, it all had sent her mind into turmoil. She knew how to control herself and hide it, but it did not make it any less real.

She eyed the satchel and the scrolls warily, and merely nodded as Ishida was suggesting giving it to the magistrates. She would have done the same. Or maybe she would seek the Asako Inquisitors? No, she would not. She did not like that notion. She would not want to see them again in some.

Oddly, the fact that a maho peasant formed a stain on her clan's honour concerned her little. All in all, Phoenixes had the reputation of being easily corrupted, and of course, by Phoenixes, everyone meant Isawa. It was not her duty to fight that stereotype, and after all she had seen, she was sometimes - at her darker hours - beginning to doubt if it was a stereotype after all. Of course, she would gladly do her best to cleanse this stain, but again, it was not her duty.

The rest of the night she had spent on an anxious vigil, thinking way too much about things distant and close. It was hardly pleasant, but she knew herself well enough to understand that it was bound to happen after an occurrence like that.

Come morning, she eased a bit. Everything seemed normal now, in the light of the sun. She seated herself next to Ishida, and acting as if the night's battle had not happened, listening to remarked of her companions.
    (02:10:41) Emily Lorn: that's beyond angsty
    (02:10:45) Emily Lorn: that's /depressing/
    (02:10:55) Emily Lorn: you're fired as my angst consultant for being overqualified
    ---
    Pink haired Sister of Battle avatar by Akrim.elf

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Ishida had insisted on at least cleaning Makoto's and Toriko's wounds, even if he doesn't stitch them before he goes to sleep, then bandaging them, a look in his eyes brooking little argument of it before he returns to sleep. The shugenja's one of the first awake, Toriko hearing the familiar, quiet prayers to his ancestors and what sounds to be a fervent but quiet disagreement with someone. He's one of the last out to bathe as well, glowering somewhat, though his face is back to serenity during breakfast, where he is tucking into his meal with gusto, listening to the others speak.

The Kitsu gives something of a glare to the scrolls when they are removed from hiding, as if it was an insult to him by just being there, but perhaps it was? The man was a Lion after all... Once Kaigenji's finished, he adds, "And it is the fervent agreement of this one that we should do so. There's bound to be a magistrate in Holy Home Village." With that, he returns to eating with quick, efficient bites.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

Makoto nods. "Though we cannot be certain we shall have any other surprises, we must continue vigilance. For your own safety, my lord, I ask that you allow one of us to accompany you at all times."

Makoto's mood was quite dark. She was not usually one prone to introspection, but she knew that the maho-tsukai had managed to go completely undetected until he was mere feet away from her lord. That these creatures were so insidious, she had known in theory; in practice, they were more terrifying than she cared to admit.

She watched her fellow carefully, especially the other bushi, whose sudden rage had surprised her. Ishida-san did not seem to be tainted, but the more subtle strength of Jigoku could express itself long before any of the more disturbing marks of the Taint made themselves apparent. Her father had reminded her often to be wary of those with increasingly common and unpleasant nightmares, one of the only constant marks of the Taint.

As with many things, there was little she could do but wait and see... and keep her tetsubo ready for when it was necessary.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Otomo slowly placed his chopsticks onto the side of his rice bowl. His gaze ran across the assembled samurai for a moment, then he leaned back in his chair, and put his slightly overfat hands onto the table, fingers interwoven.

"Ah, but not troubles with the tax records then? Very well. We shall continue on to Holy Home village as planned." The Otomo paused for a moment, and he looked to the Crab, a dangerous or perhaps sinister twinkle in his eye. A twinkle that Kaigenji recognized well; it was common to many courtiers, and especially Scorpions. The telltale sign that someone was plotting, and was feeling quite pleased with themselves but attempting to suppress physical signs of such. "It is good that you are here, Crab-san, to help defend the Phoenix lands from such troubles. I happen to know the magistrate in Holy Home village; his name is Shiba Kourei. I think it would be best if we delivered these scrolls to him, since he is the ranking Phoenix magistrate in the area. I'm sure he'll want to conduct a full investigation of these terrible problems. We are so lucky that the Crab were present to protect us from this threat." He tapped his finger against his chin for a moment, as though thinking about something deeply, "Why, I think I should send a letter to my superiors about your valiant efforts at defeating this awful villain in the Phoenix lands."

With a monumental effort, the large Otomo hoisted himself up from his seat, his massive kimono rippling as he stood. "Well then, shall we be off, or do we have some pressing need to wait here?"

Spoiler
    Show

Everyone gains 2 pips of Glory!
    6 XP for all!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

"I have no qualms about moving on, my lord," Makoto says. She understands the man's motives: he wishes to take credit for the elimination of the vile maho-tsukai, even though he was sleeping at the time. Oh well, she thinks to herself: it is part of the payment of being a yojimbo, that one's lord may take credit for one's own deeds.

"Let us be with haste; if there is danger about, it will not wait for our convenience." The one thing that angers her is that her Lord was so unaware that he might have died without ever seeing or hearing his assailant. She knows it is her job to protect him, but by the gods, could he not at least keep himself aware of his surroundings?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

Kaigenji lowers his eyes, ostensibly out of respect though it is actually the casting of a gaze elsewhere that his eyes not reveal his thoughts. The mask handled the rest of the job of obscuring his features, allowing him to think with relative privacy. He sees what the Otomo is doing, and sees no reason to make a move just yet. The conditions of the field need to be more apparent before the Bayushi sets forth.

Resolved to passive neutrality, he shifts his position towards Makoto. "I have kept the records safe in my own kimono, though I will happily present them if our lord wishes it so. In any case, Hiruma-san speaks the truth. We ought to away."

12. - Top - End - #132

Toriko almost twitched, but managed to contain the tempest inside. The remark about the fellow Shiba left her ill at ease, and it was not going to get any better any time soon.

She looked up to Ishida, awaiting him to say something that would her mind off the dark paths it seemed to be traveling lately.

She was glad that the Otomo considered the Crab to be their true defense. She did not want the tales of her battles to spread, not before the tales of Ishida. It was not hers to eclipse his glory.
    (02:10:55) Emily Lorn: you're fired as my angst consultant for being overqualified
    ---

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

The Lion nods slowly. "It is safer to be away from this place." And out of a town. He was no wildman, a hermit hiding from the world, but he preferred either the outdoors or a proper city to something like this, a little too blurred. The shugenja preferred the boundaries cut crisp and clean, like water smoothing out a path.

He finishes the last bite of his food, setting his utensils down properly and knocking on the wood in front of Toriko to draw her attention. "Toriko-san. Would you mind terribly if I asked to impose on Hiruma-san's company on our way there?" Ishida's smile is just a little hopeful, making sure to be loud enough for Makoto to hear him. "She is as competent as you, and it will only be for the day. It's safer if she scouts with someone else, at least until Holy Home Village." True, the Lion wanted to make sure she didn't lose the scrolls, but he also wanted to be able to move without the Shiba needing to worry about him...

14. - Top - End - #134

If not for her training, Toriko would have grated her teeth on that moment and frowned, or opened her eyes wide in a manner of a hurt doe. She hated when Ishida was putting her in such a predicament.

She did not want to be overly troublesome to him, and knew that he needed some respite from others from time, like everyone. Also, while he was not her superior, she treated him as such, thus disobeying him felt almost like a little treachery.

But then again... he was asking her to leave his side in an area that could be threatened by maho and go with some Crab who, while probably a very apt combatant, was not tutored in the ways of a yojimbo, and furthermore, was still of questionable loyalty and honour - after all, Crabs were important and mighty and glorious, but their adherence to bushido left a bit to be desired. It was not exactly wise to trust such a delicate work as protecting a shugenja to the famously foolhardy Hida. And, even more importantly, it was Toriko's own duty to protect Ishida from harm, and to never leave is side, never allow danger to touch him, be always next to him to take the blow meant for him. It was her duty as a samurai, exactly what she was taught and what she wanted.

'Ishida-ue' Toriko replied finally, her voice monotone - a quirk of her speech when she was trying very hard not to allow unnecessary emotions to taint her message. 'I insist on taking me with you. I know the roads here, for those are lands of my Clan, I shall be of a great use in scouting.'

Was that clear enough, she wondered. Maybe to stop wondering why she was caring such a tremendous deal.
    ---

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

Without even skipping a beat, Ishida shakes his head, his hopeful expression turned into one of patient acceptance. "Better to not to impose on Hiruma-san or leave Bayushi-san to his own devices when we should maintain the safety of Otomo-sama." It had been a shot in the dark and he had no complaints either way. True, he had wanted a chance to actually run and move on ahead, but with Toriko's request in mind, he was willing to give it up to provide her a greater chance to redeem her Clan somewhat in the face of what they had discovered. One's emotions shouldn't get in the way of duty, and it bothered him how loyal she was to him at times, Phoenix lineage or not.

"I will stay near him instead." The Kitsu simply shrugs. It wasn't a pleasant thought for multiple reasons, but he did not want to leave the Scorpion alone to defend the Imperial. Yes, the Bayushi had shown some ability with a blade, leaving the poor man like that seemed cruel. Cruel to who, Ishida didn't want to think about, an internal admission of disdain towards one or budding respect towards the other.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

"If it will be a problem, then Bayushi-san and myself shall go out to scout, and Ishida-san and Kitsu-san shall stay behind. Or I shall do it myself." Makoto sits back, her chair creaking under the weight of her in her armor. "I have no issue with going out on my own; I can handle myself against most of the foes I might find out there." She does not seem to be boasting; she honestly believes her strength to be that great.

"The priority is protecting Otomo-sama," she reminds the group. "Other oaths and duties, while important, should not interfere with this. And, as I said, I am willing to do a solo scouting mission if it will not endanger our lord."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

The Scorpion drums his fingers silently against the table, taking in the discussion as it unfolds. As always, he doesn't care a bit for the decision they come to for he knows he will not be threatened personally by it as they will not trust him to be in a position where personal danger is a factor. Indeed, relying on the Scorpion to defend you was as readily foolish as relying on a wolf not to bite you--that he had shown his own skill with the blade made their own unease that much more delicious to savor as it reared its head.

Still, this discussion is going nowhere fast and he would prefer not to sit here in this disgusting little village any longer than he needs to. The drumming increases in volume as the talking drones ever on, reaching a most audible and annoying crescendo as Makoto finishes her addition. "Let me scout with Hiruma-san, Shiba-san and Kitsu-san shall remain behind with Otomo-sama. The Crab keeps me in sight, I help protect us while you're all expecting me to stab you in the back, and the shugenja gets to walk with his yojimbo while we hopefully repel danger to our charge. Everyone wins with this arrangement."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

"That sounds fine to me. Bayushi-san has an eye for deception and trickery, and I can protect the both of us if we are assailed. Plus, he would not be so unwise as to attempt anything dishonorable, as I am sure he is quite aware what I could do to him if he did."

Makoto nods. "We will leave ahead of you to scout, and meet you back on the road. I wish to go to the market in any event, and obtain a finger of jade just in case."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

"This is... a very small town. I'll be amazed if they have any. But it is Phoenix lands." Ishida shrugs. "But if the decision is made, so be it. Best to get going."

There's a quirk of a grin on the Kitsu's face, trying not to laugh at the Bayushi's comment. He wasn't certain it was sarcasm or truth, and he was doing his best not to think about it yet, while the man was mostly harmless. In other circumstances, he wouldn't care about offending the Scorpion, but they had a duty together and taunting someone who you knew was likely a better warrior was a very poor tactical decision.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Otomo raised his hands, though whether they could more reasonably be called paws was up for debate. He laughed, and the motion made his slight jowls shake. "You go to too much fuss, Samurai-sans, too much fuss. The Phoenix lands are safe, and the roads are clear. If you wish to scout, the Crab may go. The rest of you shall travel with me." He smiled briefly, and pulled a small booklet, bound in the style of a pillow book from his pocket. "Besides, I had procured this little treatise on shogi the last time I was in Kyuden Bayushi, and I'd hope you'd share any insights you might have on the game with me while we travel. After all, the Lion have a long tradition of the game, and I'm sure a man of the clan of the author of this particular treatise would have valuable thoughts. It lays out some interesting critiques of the Lion method of plan."

The fat man seems to spare neither a word nor a glance for Toriko, as if wordlessly snubbing the young Phoenix. With a gesture, he waves the Crab to travel on ahead, and after a few minutes of packing, and retrieving his horse from the meager stable, begins to travel the road towards Holy Home village, incessantly talking about Shogi strategy. The pony trots along quickly, and the Lion, Phoenix, and Bayushi have to keep a brisk pace to keep up.

Spoiler
    Show

Crab-san, Agility / Stealth please to scout sneakily.
    Perception / Investivation (Notice) as well, to note if anything is amiss.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Scouting at 4d3 for total of 20; remember the +5 TN for her Heavy Armor: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3405248/

Noticing at 4d2, spending a void point to raise to 5d3 for a total of 34: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3405250/

Himura Makoto was not one of the more subtle creatures in the world, but her eyes were keen. Indeed, she much preferred if the villains noticed her; that way, she could kill them all herself. Fully armored and carrying a tetsubo, she scouted the area, searching for whatever might be out there.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

Ishida's pale brow furrows in mild concern. Games had been a rarity during training, if only because his teachers had discovered he took more delight in being provided reasons to go outside. In their wisdom, they had more often promised him chances to commune with the elements outside of the dojo, spending days climbing up trees and listening to wind and rain when he wasn't studying scrolls or his ancestors. Once they are on the road, Ishida's stride is steady, unbothered by the pace. If anything, he is forcing himself to slow down, to stay in casual speaking distance of the Otomo and the Bayushi, allowing Toriko to move ahead to allow herself peace of mind.

"While many of my kin are passionate in regards to that game," the young Lion is not even out of breath as he speaks, "I am afraid my insights are a mere drop of water compared to one who has actually played." The shugenja ducks his head slightly, demonstrating humility as he should and wondering if he had traveled with Toriko too long. It was possible, he had watched her maintain a poker face in more embarrassing situations than confessing a lack of knowledge. "Perhaps during the trip, I should learn. While I would never say the Lion are wrong in their methods, there are times when my Clansmen decide on tactics that are better suited for a different style..."

He eyes the Bayushi as he speaks there, gauging his reaction by the way he walks and how his shoulders move more than by his face. Ishida wasn't expecting any assistance here, but he wasn't interested in arguing with a courtier of any stripe, not when they could impress someone. It was a battle he couldn't win, so it was wiser to concede.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

The Bayushi's legs are experiencing a low but throbbing burn before too long. While nowhere near anything to be considered overweight (in fact, he had it on good authority that he was very near perfection), he was definitely more of an indoors person. The fresh air had its own nauseating quality, a mixture of animal and human and plant waste, and the sun was so much more harsh than any candle or lamp and the wind had the most frustrating tendency to toss his hair about in sheer defiance of the effort he put into styling it that morning.

The combined total of these frustration-inducing factors were not welcome on their own, but taken with the verbal prodding of some whale too good for using his own legs to carry him seemed to be a conspiracy to drive him to some annoyance-induced nirvana. Plus that Lion seems to be mocking everyone by forcing himself to walk slower. Ugh, the Scorpion thinks. Which Fortune did I piss off this time?

He takes a deep breath to steady his thoughts and contain the dull pain in his legs, simultaneously taking in the words of the Otomo and the Kitsu. He opens his mouth in consideration of a response. An obvious bait by both sides. Beautiful. His master had told him of such situations, very tricky but very useful. You can sink or swim here--and make no mistake, while a Scorpion can swim, a fool cannot. Are you a Scorpion or are you a fool, he'd close the lesson with.

Bayushi Kaigenji is not a fool. "If our companion is not learned in Shogi, it would be unfitting to have him defend his clan's strategies in it. I should not criticize the poets of the Crane nor the smiths of the Crab for similar reasons; I am not a poet or a smith. I would be more than happy to provide what detail I can on the Scorpion method, though. And, Kitsu-san, I could teach you if you wish."
    Last edited by Magnvo; 2012-03-09 at 02:41 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

Ishida's blond eyebrows rise up for a moment before clearing his throat, a thoughtful rub of his nose. "A generous offer that I will take you up on, Bayushi-san." Even if the Scorpion intended to lie though his teeth and tell him a pile of offal about the game, it would be a good story to tell his sister and it would pass the time in an interesting manner.

"Perhaps if the others are unschooled in the game, you could teach them as well." That way, he could compare stories and rules. "Though the question becomes how to return the favor? I would suspect most of my knowledge is of little use to you, or adds little to what you already know." A part of him was sorely tempted to be sarcastic, to offer how to teach him how to swim, but the courtier was playing nice and he was no Matsu. Better to not poke the scorpion's nest, especially when the man had proven himself skilled enough with a sword.
    Last edited by AstraKiseki; 2012-03-09 at 10:11 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145

Marching in a steady, measure pace, Toriko was at peace. There was something deeply relaxing about walking the dusty road like that, touching all the elements. Her doubt and unease were both gone, left in the village behind, and each deep breath taken lightened her up.

She was remembering her way to the Lion's lands over a year ago, escorting Rei to her new school. They had to walk then, too, and she could clearly how quickly she used to grow fatigued and weary with the road, how all the heavy equipment she carried on her back weighted her down and made her fall asleep within seconds as soon as they were setting a night's camp.

But thankfully, she had since met Ishida, and learned better. Hours upon hours spent following him on his wanderings taught her how to march without growing tired, and a few other things as well.

Take armor, for example. She pitied Matoko, with her heavy plates and weapons. Of course, a good suit of mail could save a life, but on a road, it was a literal nightmare to wear. Toriko had ceased trying to carry heavier armors on her for that reason, instead opting for a simple, light breastplate, like the ones ashigaru used to wear for war. It offered modest protection, yes, but she could walk for ages in it, without even feeling it weight.

Marching some distance before the Otomo, Kaigenji and Ishida, she was unaware of the discussion going on behind her, instead concentrating upon her surroundings, and own memories.
    ---

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Scouting Ahead

The roads are well tended, and open. The weather seems to grow warmer the further south Hiruma Makoto travels. For the first few hours, the road is empty, and no travelers are in sight. By noon, a merchant caravan is sighted, also traveling south at a slow pace.

Patrols of Phoenix Bushi twice stop Makoto, and check her travel papers, eyeing the Crab samurai suspiciously before waving her on each time. Her wary watch does not turn up any suspicious activity, and she arrives safely in Holy Home Village shortly before the other samurai from the group.

There are no bandits... this time.

On The Road

Otomo Fujiyari seems slightly disappointed that the Lion and Scorpion had not taken him up on his offer to discuss Shogi strategy. He shrugged slightly, and then began to hum a jaunty traveling tune as his trotted along happily. The road was open and clear, and the weather warmed as the samurai made their way south and away from the looming Isawa Mori.

The travel was easy, and the road was clear and open. As the sun began to set on the horizon, Holy Home village came into view at the bottom of the hill they had just surmounted. Standing near the entrance was Hiruma Makoto.

Holy Home Village

The Otomo led the assembled samurai through the Torii arch which stood over the road, marking the edge of the village. The settlement was larger than a true village, though it retained its ancient name. It was home to perhaps a thousand or so Rokugani, and the group passed numerous temples to the Fortunes, as well as many peasant dwellings and businesses, most of which were clearly built to cater to travelers and pilgrims to the temples.

Otomo Fujiyari stopped the group in front of a large dwelling. The sign out front clearly marked the building as the residence and offices of Shiba Kourei, Magistrate. Fujiyari swung his bulk off his horse, and landed lightly on the ground as a servant ran out form the building, bowed to the samurai, and took the reins of Fujiyari's horse, leading it around the back of the building. Fujiyari grinned mischievously, and drew forth the satchel retrieved from the Tsukai, "Samurai-sans, let us go inside. As I said, I have met Kourei-san before, and I think he will be most interested to hear of your valorous deeds in defending the lands of the Phoenix, and will want to personally investigate these disturbing reports."

With a rustle of his robes, he turned, and marched inside. The servants inside the residence moved swiftly, preparing tea for the unexpected guests, and showing you all to a waiting room. Within, a single samurai waited, in the orange of the Phoenix, reading reports. He looked up, clearly surprised to see you, and then bowed. "Good afternoon, samurai-sans, and Otomo-sama. I, um, "

Fujiyari cut in quickly, talking over the Phoenix, "I am Otomo Fujiyari, and I am here to see Kourei-san. Please show me in immediately."

The Phoenix samurai stopped abruptly, and bowed once more, and his badge as an assistant magistrate was quite visible on his chest once the reports he had been holding no longer obscured it. "Of course, Otomo-sama. Please, go right in, through the door."

The Otomo marched through the indicated door, looking quite pleased with himself, and the Phoenix assistant magistrate turned to the group of remaining samurai, and looked quite distressed and unsettled. "Ah, your pardon samurai-sans. Is there something more I can do for you? I presume since you are here with the honorable Otomo-sama, you are here for the tax records? I had been told he was arriving, and have been preparing them. I apologize, I am not quite finished, as you are early, and there has been some trouble here lately."
    Last edited by Zoronos; 2012-03-10 at 03:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Makoto greets the group as they come back. "All is well, I trust?" she asks. She removes her kabuto, stowing it under her arm, revealing the pretty face under the armor. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem sweaty or tired at all, despite having been journeying all day in heavy armor.

Upon arriving at the Magistrate's, she takes the opportunity to speak. "Honorable Magistrate, we are indeed here for the tax records. However, we have uncovered something far more serious: a maho-tsukai, a peasant who had somehow obtained the dark magic. We have the scrolls he had on his personage right here, for you to examine." Makoto defers to the Otomo on handing over the scrolls themselves; clearly, that should be his honor, not hers.

She thinks for a moment. "Wait... what trouble? Are we to encounter further danger in our travels?" She seems alarmed. "Is there, perhaps, a sudden surge in the practice of maho?"
    Last edited by MrInsecure; 2012-03-11 at 11:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Ishida looks much less reluctant to enter Holy Home Village, a faint smile crossing his face as he starts to hurry on ahead subconsciously, before slowing down again for the sake of the Bayushi and the Imperial. His pace is casual and he lingers behind at the top of the hill to admire the sunset, painting the landscape in the colors of the Phoenix. His gaze strays long enough that the others are approaching the bottom of the hill before he remembers himself and hurries down in long, bounding strides.

Once the group is speaking with the magistrate, and the Crab speaks, the shugenja sighs, rubbing his nose. "Makoto-san, one fool is a coincidence, and not an excuse to jump at every shadow chasing oni. Looking in the air for arrows distracts from the sword about to cut your throat." He states calmly. "We dealt with odd omens in the last village, the tools breaking during the harvest, the inventory needing to be retaken, with some idiot peasant attempting to attack Otomo-sama and using fell magic to defend himself before dying at the blades of Bayushi-san, Hiruma-san, and Shiba-san." There's an admission that Ishida hadn't fought in there, no bluster to his voice, or interest in undue credit. "But yes, what sort of trouble is occurring?"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

Better to be silent and thought fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt, Shingen-sensei had said. Silence is its own powerful weapon. The reputation of the Scorpion is that of a scheming, backstabbing, mastermind. Let it do your work for you and save your true effort for other matters, for your enemy will expect the stereotype and nothing else.

Kaigenji runs these lessons through his head. As he stands nearest to Makoto, he assumes an expression of muted neutrality. Why would he be anything else? It's just a routine visit. A routine visit. Routine.

The Scorpion have no routines.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

The assistant magistrate's eyes widened as the Lion and Crab spoke of Maho, magic, omens, and scrolls. He worked his jaw slightly, as though trying to somehow formulate a response, but words were not going to him. He held up the papers he had been looking at, to hide his surprised expression, and preserve what On he had left. After a long and awkward pause the man finally found his voice.

"No, nothing like that, Samurai-sans. We have just been having a spot of trouble getting all our accounting straight. If you will excuse my saying so, there have been some... unsavory types in town as of late. Of course, Kourei-sama has been valiantly and vigilantly stomping them out, whenever they rear their heads. But it has made the tax accounting difficult, as some of the undesirable types in town refuse to report their earnings and valuations properly. Kourei-sama tried to speak with some of them about it yesterday but they were... reluctant to cooperate. I apologize for not having the tax reports ready for you, but we absolutely must have all our reports together, or the Emerald Champion will be most displeased with us."