New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: City of Ezerin (IC)

Soren Kirkegaard

"Ah yes indeed I am Soren. My apologies Isaac, you looked like a Jacque."

Soren offers his hand to shake but seeing as an important figure is walking in Soren initiates a short vigorous hand shake. Much like Isacc he listens intently. He silently takes notes as he listens to the details. Little boy, 200 gp and a crypt done.

"I accept this job Lord Torrinus. But what of the little boy?"

Soren couldn't let a chance to siphon more money into his wallet pass him by.

"Would you add onto the pay if we brought the boy in?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Isaac Hawking

As Isaac shook hands with Soren he flashed a warm smile, conveying 'no harm done.'

"Your hospitality is appreciated" he said after hearing the old man's reply to the Goblin's question, reaching for a glass of juice he continued "can I infer that you have no idea what we are dealing with however?" He took a long swig of his drink and let out an appreciative sigh.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Herlan smiles slightly as he steps forward. "Yes, Soren is right, who is this boy. And how is it that you know that the boy hid it there?"

Spoiler
    Show

Do I have to roll every sentence for a sense motive check?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Mmm, as much as I would enjoy you bringing the boy in, I'm afraid I do know that would be impossible. Shortly afterward, I hired a friend of mine to track him, which is how I found out that he was at the crypt. I sent in three of my personal guard to collect him, but only one man returned- A small pause as Torrinus seems to actually be saddened by this fact, He carried with him the boys dead body, I don't know what happened to my two other guards, but I knew that I would need help, and as I said, my pride didn't allow me to ask the house for help.

Shugyosha
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, not for the rest of this conversation. Unless you want to try for a higher roll. Also, the story of the soldiers and finding the boy seem to be undoubtedly true.
    One day, this signature will be something. Until then... I guess it will still kinda be something.

PC Registry

Games I'm DMing
    City of Ezerin (homebrew)

Games I'm in:
    PTTA: NWBS

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hedge

"Okay? I don't quite get the motives of this boy, though he does seem like he wanted to get your attention or something. Either way, I'll join this group and use my skills to best of my ability. Though I can't help but feel that you- Never mind, I guess that would be too harsh to say to someone I've just met."

She'll sit down patiently for the remainder of the meeting until it is time to leave. Though she wished she could have gotten a drink seeing as how the man was rude enough to enjoy his beverage in front of his guests without offering anything. A House Innistrad member would have offered, at least Red Eyes would have at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Herlan

"Thank you for your honesty," Herlan says and finally takes a sip of the offered juice.
    "I can promise you my complete discretion on this matter. But I want to interview your guard that made it back and the dead boys body if possible. After that I will tell you our fee." He looks to the others and hopes they agree.
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2012-02-24 at 12:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Soren Kirkegaard

"I see. Darn."

Losing a chance to get extra money Soren moves onto more important business. He gulps down his juice before speaking again.

"Apologies for the little one. She might seem harsh but I'm semi sure she be flirtin'. It's hard for women not to flirt, ya see?"

Shifting slightly in his seat Soren address Herlan.

"Good idea my friend! Interrogating the guard will likely help us learn what to expect in that crypt. Why it could be anything from an undead necromancer lord to simply dragon eating glob of goo. Maybe even a scientific abomination set out to destroy the entire city -- due to accidental chemical spills. Or, well I suppose you get the point."

Soren pauses for a second.

"You wouldn't happen to have a map of the crypt handy?"

Soren continues to dream up various monster he might want to encounter during the trip. He whispers one out accidentally.

"...ancient wizard whos brain and soul are stuck in a top hat..."
    Last edited by Murillio; 2012-02-24 at 01:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Herlan

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuitar View Post
    Torrinus takes another sip of his juice and Cyrus comes in with a tray with six glasses of an orange colored juice on it. holding it out, he offers it to the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Red Eyes
    She'll sit down patiently for the remainder of the meeting until it is time to leave. Though she wished she could have gotten a drink seeing as how the man was rude enough to enjoy his beverage in front of his guests without offering anything. A House Innistrad member would have offered, at least Red Eyes would have at the very least.
    Herlan politely passes a glass to any that didn't get one from Cyrus' tray.
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2012-02-24 at 06:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Nirallus had been watching the proceedings closely enough that he was slightly startled by the proffered glass. Nodding his thanks, he takes a sip and enters the conversation:

"There's no need for idle speculation on what might be down there, no point until we interview the surviving guard and inspect the boy's body."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ah yes, I had thought you'd want to talk to him, I hope he's able to provide you with enough information. Torrinus Glances over to Cyrus, If you'd be so kind as to get Mr. Derricks.

After a short time, a small man, probably only about 5' 6" walks in. He wears silver armor, bearing the emblem of the house Skrym, as well as a smaller crest, presumably the crest of Torrinus. He seems to be on the younger side, and you can tell is still a little shaken from his experience, knowing he will have to recount it.

Mr. Derricks, I know it may be hard, but please tell us what happened in the crypt.

The soldier take a moment and then begins to speak, It was just like you said sir, we went searching for the boy... and when we went in there... well, none of the torches were lit, so we lit 'em up, and we saw a couple shadows of something, but we thought they were ours. So we went in further, and these shadows... they started moving on their own, like they were alive an they started attacking us. One of 'em got me, and it felt like all my strength was being drained, real cold. We were trying to hit 'em with our swords, but they didn't do nothing to 'em. I watched Captain Marks go down, just died right there, no blood or nothing. I noticed a small body in the corner of the room, near the door... I noticed it was the boys... I figured if I grabbed it he might still have the thing you were looking for, so I went and ran, I though Josh was right behind me... but... he wasn't. Mr. Derricks finishes his tale and does his best to keep from breaking down.
    One day, this signature will be something. Until then... I guess it will still kinda be something.

PC Registry

Games I'm DMing

Games I'm in:

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Herlan

The hawkish man rubs his nose then pulls at his chin as he listens to the soldier's tale.

"Thank you Mr. Derricks. Can you draw us a map of the crypt?"
    Turning to Torrinus, "What did you do with the boy's body?" he asks.

Spoiler
    Show

Whatever Knowledge skill is appropriate to identify this creature. Dungeoneering, religion, nature, and arcana are all +7
    (1d20+7)[19](26)
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2012-02-24 at 08:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Isaac Hawking

Isaac listened intently to the guards tale. It was an interesting one to be sure, he had a nagging feeling he'd heard of these shadowy creatures before and started to browse through his mental library.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge of the Shadow creatures:
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, that would K(Religion): (1d20+5)[15]

Once Derricks had finished his story and Herlan had fired forward his question Isaac in turn threw a slightly irratated look at the investigator's lack of tact. Isaac placed his glass back on its original tray and maneuvered his way across the room to the stricken guard, placing a hand on his shoulder. "It's ok my man. You did the right thing. If you had stayed to try and help, you'd probably still be there too, then where would we be?" A small, sympathetic smile. "Hopefully this way we can at least get some kind of justice for them and retrieve them for proper funeral rights. Now, I know it's tough, but if you could tell or draw" a glance at Herlan "us anything you can remember about the tomb, I'm sure it'll help." He produced a sheet of paper "forgive me Mr. Torrinus, do you have a pen I could borrow?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

We had to return the boy's body to his family, said Torrinus, However, I can tell you that Mr. Derricks description is quite accurate, I saw the body myself. There seemed nothing physically wrong with it, save the fact that the boy was dead. As far as the crypt is concerned, it is a smaller one, only four rooms. The largest is the entrance room, then there is a room on the right, left and center. He pauses, seeming to consider something. There is something else, House Skrym has been known to booby trap the crypts, in order to harass grave robbers. While in my research I have learned of any in this particular crypt, I still have my suspicions, so do be careful.

Shugyosha
    Spoiler
    Show
    The descriptions seem to fit a creature known as a shadow, incorporeal undead that feed off of the strength of the living. You also recall that any person killed by a shadow will become one shortly after, and that armor offers no resistance against their attacks.

Jack
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is an undead creature that resembles what you hear... something to do with shadows, but your memory falters on the exact name.
    Last edited by TheGuitar; 2012-02-26 at 12:14 PM.

PC Registry

Games I'm DMing

Games I'm in:

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Herlan

"Damn," Herlan muttered under his breath. He turns to the others, "We are dealing with at least one shadow, a incorporeal undead creature that drains a man's strength."

Turning back to Torrinus, "200 gold is fine but you will include expenses and healing and restoration once we get your ring back."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Red Eyes

"Okay, that sounds dangerous (for me) but whatever. If it becomes too much, I can always leave you all for dead or something along those lines. I know I'm not going to go down in a blaze of glory over some jewelry. Just saying.
    Besides that, when we accomplish our objective, House Innistrad will take care of any injuries I might sustain, so there is no need for you to waste any resources other than that 200gp on me.
    "

She takes a small sip on the glass she was given.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Nirallus

"This isn't really my area of expertise. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to fight these creatures? I mean, we can assume that mundane weapons won't do anything."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2012-02-26 at 12:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Herlan

"Your sense of self preservation is good, but survival will take all of our efforts," he says to the goblin.

Answering Nirallus' question, "Magic and magic weapons would work but armor will not protect us."

"Damn," he mutters again, "Torrinus, we may have a bigger problem. Undead begets undead through their victims. We will be facing that shadow and possibly two more that were your guards. In fact you best send a priest or two to the boy's home and make sure his body hasn't turned. We might be facing a shadow epidemic."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Soren Kirkegaard

"You're right." Soren retorts to Nirallus's comment. He promptly stops any idle speculation.

Soren stays quiet letting the others ask questions. He does nod when necessary. Hearing what we'll be facing Soren thinks up ways to take down these shadows. Seeing as they are ghostly according to Herlan hitting them may be a problem. Soren scratches his head in thought. A small habit he's picked up over the years. But upon hearing Herlan swear under his breath Soren snaps out of his thoughts in order to her Herlan clearly.

"Good one about the priests. Wouldn't you say we should come along to help in case the situation is as bad as we think? Best to stifle possibly probably problems before venturing into the crypt. Its not like the shadows would leave the crypt right? I mean they did inhabit the crypt for a reason."

He pausess then adds.

"Also what can take down these shadows? A mean they are practically ghosts.."
    Last edited by Murillio; 2012-02-27 at 06:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Isaac Hawking

Herlan's comments shake something loose within Isaac's mind "This could be a problem. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm not really equipped to fight incorporeal undead. I could be some help, sure, but not much." He paused, his face having lost its smile. "Maybe..." he begins again tentatively "would holy water work?" He's pretty sure it will, but having very little idea about the exact specifics of the creatures the question is directed at Herlan, who seems to at least know something about the damned things.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I will make sure the boy's family is safe, assuming it is not too late. Torrinus looks over to Mr.Derricks tentatively, Do you think these creatures can be defeated?

Aye, responds Derricks, I imagine so, if you got magic and all that, plus that holy water idea... I wish we'd have thought of it.

I also believe Eliffain will be of some use, interrupted Torrinus looking at the drow, dealing with creatures like this is a paladin's specialty, is it not?

PC Registry

Games I'm DMing

Games I'm in:

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Herlan

"Mr Derrick, be assured that they will be defeated by what you have said today," Herlan says to the battle wiry soldier.

Looking back at Torrinus, "One more thing before we gather our provisions, what does this ring look like? Is it magical?"
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2012-02-27 at 11:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ellifain

I had accepted the glass from Herlan with a smile, yet other than that I had been content to stay quiet and listen to what was being said.

I was glad that Herlan had said something of the boy and his fate. I would hate to go and retrieve the ring just to come back and find several deaths.

Isaac bringing up the holy water was also another thing to note. It is definitely a helpful way to battle what we could be facing, though if they are shadow creatures than it would be more difficult.

"I also believe Eliffain will be of some use, dealing with creatures like this is a paladin's specialty, is it not?"

"Dealing with undead is one of a paladin's specialties, though incorporeal undead are more difficult to handle." Though if these creatures rely on shadow to hide, I would have one more advantage over most paladins.

"With a few flasks of holy water though, it shouldn't be to difficult. Since we know what we are searching for, they won't be able to catch us unawares so easily. Also," turning my attention to Derrick, "from how you described it earlier it seemed as if the boy only made it into the first room? If so than we may not have to difficult of a search."

So there were at least three shadows in there if Herlan was right about the undead multiplying, but what about the dead boy.

Spoiler
    Show
    k(religion)(1d20+9)[23] to try and figure out how long it takes to raise as an undead, as well as if the body is affected.
    Again sorry for the delay, though now I am finally home with my consistent internet. So long sporadic posting.
    Last edited by Celestin; 2012-02-28 at 12:59 AM.
    Anwen Larlail, Elf Bladesinger - Heroes of New Neverwinter

Ellifain Everlight, Drow Paladin - City of Ezerin

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Nirallus swore inwardly once again; in his haste to get to House Skrym early, he had prepared his spells ahead of time. Now he wished he had waited until he knew what he was up against. He still had a trick or two he could use, though.

"I can use spell that'll light them up like the city at nighttime, that should make it much easier to track and hit them. It's a one-shot deal, though, so if there are more than one, I should try to catch all of them in the effect.

After that, it's spells, magic weapons, or holy water. I have the second one covered, though it's still a good idea for each of us to take a flask or two of the holy water."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2012-02-28 at 01:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torrinus listens carefully as the group begins to discuss strategy. He then butts in saying, I believe holy water will work well, however, the crypt is a few hours outside of the city. I don't mean to rush, however, I think this job should be done post-haste, particularly considering this new information. The more time it's left, the more people can wander in and the more shadows there may be. I will have Cyrus lead you to the path, then it will be a walk through the forest until you hit the crypt. The path is clear enough that you should have no trouble.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any last questions/statements you wanna make, would like to get moving fairly soon.

PC Registry

Games I'm DMing

Games I'm in:

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Herlan

"How will we identify your ring?" he asks as he moves to the door.

26. - Top - End - #86

Isaac Hawking

Torrinus had a point, they should get moving as soon as possible. "Yeah, I agree. But I need to pick some stuff up, can we meet back outside here in, what, half an hour? By the way, I've just realised that you can buy an oil that magics up your weapon for a minute or so. It's pretty cheap, throw me fifty gold and I'll pick one up for anyone that needs it whilst I get my own." He listened to Herlan's question "heh, yup, may be worth finding out. Listen, if there's nothing else of import I'll be back soon." With that he shambled over to the door, waited a few more seconds to see if anyone had anything important to add and/or wanted to take him up on his offer and then left to contact one of his suppliers.
    After a second or two he popped his head back around the door "Thanks for your hospitality by the way." A pause "and the juice." Grinning he left for good this time.
    Last edited by Jack DeCoeur; 2012-02-29 at 05:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Soren Kirkegaard

Soren takes up Isaac's offer; throwing him a 50 gold pouch. Before Isaac leaves he asks him a question.

"Isaac, could you haggle that price down a bit? 50 may be the shop owners asking price but for people like us the asking price is anything less than their asking price if you know what I mean. Perhaps we can get a bundle discount?"

Soren shrugs slightly embarrassed by his blatant frugality. He turns back thanking the host for his hospitality and apologizing again about any rude behavior. He grabs another drink before heading out.

"I'll be waiting outside the complex for Isaac. We should go as a group so make sure that everyone goes together eh?"

Soren directs that towards Herlan.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

"If we're meeting back here in half an hour, I'm going to hit up the nearest temple for a flask of holy water. Anyone else wants any, let me know."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2012-02-29 at 09:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Red Eyes

The young goblin leaves the room and waits outside with Soren. With nothing better to do while she waits for everyone to get their supplies, Red Eyes decides to monologue:

"When things start to go down, I'll sneak off and look for that ring. I doubt the Shadows will want anything to do with it, so it's probably in the crypt somewhere. I'll just be a burden to the rest of the group if I choose to fight; and I might even turn into one of them considering how weak I am against creatures no discernible anatomy.
    I'm only telling you this so that I'll have an alibi for when I disappear during battle, and why I should still get the gold even if I didn't actually fight.
    "
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Soren Kirkegaard

Soren responds to Nirallus.

"I wouldn't mind one. Perhaps you should grab at least one for each of the party. Minus our guide of course."

Waiting out with the goblin, Soren listens to her rambling.

"I feel your pain little one. Having studied various anatomies of various creatures it's a bit disheartening that I won't be able to use my skills in this fight. Though I still do have a back up. And you shouldn't worry because the initial job was to retrieve the ring; not fight these shadows so not being able to fight shouldn't make it so you are not allowed the payment."

After a short pause.

"Also if you don't mind if you see me down and think me dead chances are I am just in a coma. I should probably mention that to the rest of the group...."