New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1540555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2464
  1. - Top - End - #1921
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

Ryx quietly and efficiently checks the lizardfolk's gear, then checks the entire guardhouse or what's left of the guardhouse, for anything that is of use or interesting.

After searching out the entire guardhouse and satisfied he has found everything there is, Ryx moves over near the others and the prisoner to find out what is going on.

Spoiler
    Show

search: (1d20+11)[24]
    search: (1d20+11)[15]
    search: (1d20+11)[17]

Last edited by puffmagicdragon; 2013-09-10 at 12:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1922
    Ogre in the Playground

"Savin deserves most of the credit, m'lady," Maesyn replies quietly. "His quick thinking saved your life." He suggests using Savin's wand to heal up those who need it, unless Axara would rather burn a few spells.

"Rayen, if you must leave, you must. Though I'm not sure how we'll fare without you. At the least, if you could rally whomever you can to face this threat, should we fail... perhaps that would be as big a help."

Switching to Draconic, he addresses the imprisoned Lizardfolk. "And who might you be, sir Lizardfolk?"

Maeysn Silverhair

3. - Top - End - #1923

ElfPirate

After searching everywhere and everything, if Ryx doesn't find a key to the cage, he'll try to pick the lock.

Spoiler
    Show

open lock: (1d20+11)[22]

4. - Top - End - #1924

ElfPirate

As Ryx walks over to the others, he hears the exchanges regarding the departure of Rayen, Hmm, dragons and there treasure, I wonder where and how soon after we get back to our plane her and her mate search out Maesyn to collect on that iou he thinks to himself as he thinks of his deck of playing cards depicting all sorts of dragons in his pouch.
    Last edited by puffmagicdragon; 2013-09-11 at 08:45 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1925
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Rayen looks at Quill “Well magician, I have started to feel weak and sick and …” she stops and coughs in her hand. When she looks at it, she sees blood in it. “Something is not right for me on this plane …. I will go back and use the Lord Dusk passage and either wait for you at the lost refuge or in Wheloon depending on how I feel. I will try to convince the authority to be ready to send help. ” She turns toward Maesyn “[b]And I will expect full payment on your IOU. I do like to hoard and gold is important to dragons and to me…[b]” She smiles before going into a long and repeated cough.

Rayen says her goodbye to the group and when hugging Maesyn, she whispers “May be when this is over, we can rest together and get to know each other better.”

The group watches Rayen walks back toward the ruined keep and very soon, she has disappeared in the darkness.

Axara approaches Savin and heals all his wounds. “Thank you so much Savin. I thought this was the day I would dine at Mystra’s table. I owe you. You can ask anything you want from me.”

She then uses her magic on herself and regains full health.

In the meantime, Ryxikor goes through the pile of ashes where the undead where. He finds the 3 greatclub and 9 javelins and a key. He uses the key to open the cage.

A very ecstatic lizardfolk comes out of the cage and hugs the elf to the rogue discomfort. (in draconic but translated by Maesyn)

“Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought I would become one of them. My name is Steersissk. You are my saviors. I will never thank you enough. I thought I escaped these evil priest when I wait to the orb only to be captured by my undead brethren. They were keeping me here until the next time the priests could come and transform me in a monster. Thank you, thank you. I would never want to be one of these walking horrors. Tell me, can I go back to the real swamp? I miss my nest mates. And how can I help you? I have been here a while and noticed a thing or two.” The lizardfolk goes from hero to hero, holding their acts and thanking them profusely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Axara spell: L0 5/5, L1 2/4 +1D, L2 1/3 +1D, L3 2/3+ 1D
    Turning attempts left: 4/5

Savin: +20 +15 HP – currently at 50/53
    Axara: +9 +12 +10 – at full health
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

6. - Top - End - #1926

ElfPirate

Not knowing the draconic language, Ryx relies on Maesyn for any translations. The elven rogue keeps an eye out for trouble and listens for approaching danger.

Spoiler
    Show

spot: (1d20+4)[24]
    listen: (1d20+4)[7]

ooc: I just posted this morning how Ryx's main attribute, sneak attack, is useless on the shadow plane, because of the concealment factor. I'm not upset over it, it's not like the whole game has been played on this plane, how long have we been in this game, it has to be near it's end, surely. Anyway, I'd love to use sneak attack but can't, oh well, he'll just have to fighter and be careful.

7. - Top - End - #1927

Hearing about his heroic exploits of being out of sight and seemingly doing nothing. "Well it's the though that counts"

Dragonic:
    "We encountered a four armed kitten and 3 of your fallen en corrupted kin" the gnome points to the corpses of the undead.

"What could help us if you could recall if there other hostile creatures nearby."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Never toss a Dwarf... Halflings are much lighter."

8. - Top - End - #1928
    Titan in the Playground

To Rayen, Savin says "Lady, your prowess will be missed but I think we all understand. If you would stand guard on the otherside of the portal, it would be appreciated. We will not have any idea if... when we make it back, what kind of condition we will be in or what kind of company will be following." he laughs his barking laugh, a joke to him it would seem, if dark. As she departs, he bow low to her.

To Axara, "There is no need for thanks. We all our in your debt, in each others, for surviving this long. We all our friends together and in each others debt. No need for thanks. Perhaps Maesyn will spin our tale and children will sit at the fireside years from now listening to our tales, speaking especially of your bravery."

9. - Top - End - #1929
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn smiles genially at the Lizardfolk... or, if he knows it, he instead uses whatever expression passes for a smile among his kind. "Yes, you should be able to return using the large portal inside the keep," he answers in Draconic. "We won't keep you long, but any information you might have could be useful to us. Names you overheard, people you saw. Even any magical effects you might have spotted. And when you return to the Material Plane, please spread the word about what's going on. These conspirators thrive on secrecy and work in the shadow; the more light we can shine on their actions, the less effective they will be."

Maesyn Silverhair

10. - Top - End - #1930
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Ryxikor does not speak draconic so he decides to keep an eye for further trouble. Nothing come disrupting the group.

Axara smiles at Savin. “I will be happy to listen to Maesyn and his silver tongue tell our tales in a way only a bard can. It would mean we survive and the Weave is saved.

Quill and Maesyn asks Steersissk about any information he might have on the current situation. Axara translates for Ryxikor.

“From what I heard a very scary anf fearsome shadow-fiend inhabit the stone tower. It scares some of the evil priest. It is like a tiger that walk so you should stay away from the tower. “ He shivers at the thought of the monster, not knowing it lies dead in the tower thanks to the group of heroes.

“What I noticed is that the prisoners they bring through this cursed place is very different. The nest mates and the other lizardfolks use a trail on the other side of the keep. According to the rumors, it leads to the Shadowscale village. Several of my people have been taken there by the black priests. When they come back, they live no longer, like the ones who guarded me. Two of my nestmates were taken there a day or two ago. They have not come back so perhaps the black priests have not slain them yet.”

He stops talking, visibly upset.

After a few second, he continues “The hairy folks like you do not go to the Shadowscale village. They get on the boat and a shadow-man take them away down the channel. The boat follows the beacons into the swamp. That is all I know. ”

He stops again before adding “Do you think you could share some food? I am starving.”

And he turns to Savin "I will tell my nest mates about this place and that portal and make sure that nothing come through."

Spoiler
    Show
    Axara spell: L0 5/5, L1 2/4 +1D, L2 1/3 +1D, L3 2/3+ 1D
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1931

ElfPirate

"What's in it for us?" Ryx quietly asks Axara after she tells the elf what's been said.

12. - Top - End - #1932

Dragonic: "Don't make promises you can't keep young man" Quill smiles at Steersissk
    "As we have some of your kin keeping watch at the keep as we speak, but if you can convince them to ****iue to do so will be much obliged."

he turns to the group
    "You know i am torn between helping in a rescue attempt or taking the boat to the unknown"

13. - Top - End - #1933
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Axara looks at Ryxikor with a disappointed look "So elf, you only do things if there is something in it for you. What about doing them because it is the right thing to do?"

She giggles at Quill reply to Steersissk "I think he is just overly enthusiastic in his happiness to realize that he will actually survive. And Quillmeister, you ask the right question for once. Do we take that boat that leads us who knows where or go to an encampment of shadowscale undead?"

She turns towards Savin and Maesyn waiting for their input.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1934

ElfPirate

"Nothing in life is free Axara, especially my services." he says with all seriousness, then adds a slight wink, finally. Continuing on quickly, Ryx says, "But a mercenary for hire is just that, for hire."

After a few moments of thought, Ryx speaks up on their question, "I can't help but think though, if we were to help this Steersissk, we would really help ourselves eventually." Ryx looks towards Maesyn, thinking the bard may understand his logic.

"If we do find and free the other captives, doesn't concern me too much, as does those undead showing up at the worse of times. If we were to kill most or better yet all of them, then we could continue on with this mission without the dragon wanna-be's hindrance. They are obviously in league with this group of Sharrans." The elf hesitates for just a moment, to let the other's minds catch up to his plan, "If we wipe them out, we cripple the organization. Otherwise we will be fighting other maybe more powerful adversaries with these spell-stealing vermin helping them." he says as he spits on the ground.
    Last edited by puffmagicdragon; 2013-09-12 at 02:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1935
    Titan in the Playground

Savin rubs the scruff on his chin, thinking for a few moments, before answering.

"I agree" he says, slowly "I, too, would rather deal with them now rather than have to deal with them along with any other menaces we run across."

16. - Top - End - #1936

ElfPirate

The elf's gaze is down, towards the ground, obviously in thought, the elf slowly says, "We'll need a plan for those abominations." Ryx looks up from the ground to Savin, "We'll have to stay between the undead and our spellcasters, so those things don't have the chance to heal themselves, along with the loss of spellpower "

Then the mercenary looks towards the crumbling keep, "Yes, we will miss Rayen...."

17. - Top - End - #1937

"We can be sure there encampment is in the axis of the swamp and we don't know it's layout and only it's main direction."

"planning ahead will be more or less be guise work."

"..."

"When ever possible we should carry a daylight spell into there encampment."
    the gnome points to his scroll cases.
    "With some luck it might negate the shadows of this plain, with might help with combat"

"Speaking about that... I am all out lethal spells. We could use my illusions in trying to separate some of the undead from the bulk. Or use my web providing there are polls or huts positioned where we heading."

As he speaks he unloads his backpack "I don't think lizardfolk are unsuited to eat anything but meat correct?"

he takes one dried chick out
    "This will do"

Before any one can respond the weasel familiar rushes to it's master jumps on his shoulder and growls.

One doesn't need to use speak with animals to understand what she is saying Don't you dare.

18. - Top - End - #1938
    Titan in the Playground

"Can any of you cast this Daylight spell?" Savin says, displaying his ignorance of magic.
    "How much more of the alchemist fire do we have? I wish I had picked up more back when we were on the other side of the portal. Eh spilled milk and all that."
    Savin paces in a small circle, quiet for a time, before speaking again, arm crossed.
    "If, after gathering some intelligence on these creatures, if we can find a spot we can fall back to where we can keep from being overwhelmed from all sides and Ryx and I can keep them away from the rest of you, instead of walking into their den... maybe pepper them from a distance with our bows and keep falling back until we get to said location. I can use one of my potions to grow, giving me some advantage with range. We can set out all of these javelins so that, if you magic users deplete all of your magic for the day, you can fire over the two of us... that about as much of a plan as I can come up with. What say the rest of you?"

19. - Top - End - #1939

ElfPirate

"I feel prepared." Ryx states to Savin "I have a couple more fire flasks and a couple potions to hide from undead, also I do have a couple holy water." he adds with a wink. "What about flasks of oil? If we can catch one on fire maybe we can throw a flask of oil on it to stoke up the fire and add to the damage."

20. - Top - End - #1940
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am fine either way," says Maesyn finally. "There is value in seeing if we can rescue prisoners who have not yet been turned undead, but there is risk as well. No doubt these 'black priests' are powerful, and historically we have struggled quite a bit with enemy spellcasters. Quill, do you have the ability to cast dispel magic?"

Maesyn Silverhair

21. - Top - End - #1941
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Steersissk takes the dried chick and eats it quite fast. "Thank Little Hairy One. This is the best food I had in weeks. If you go to the shadowscale camp, look for my nest mates, Kruthaak and Ghaan. All 3 of us escaped the Vast Swamp and the black priests trough a portal only to arrive here. They were both caught and I stayed hidden until the salvage walking tiger caught me. I was lucky he does not like lizardfolk meat."

Axara turns toward Savin "I can ask Mystra to give me the daylight spell but I will have to rest and pray. I also have the dispell magic spell if we need. I have it prepare. I agree that we should try to select spell which are useful here. I have for example asked for Obscurring Mist which is pretty useless here. Maesyn, any suggestion? Knowledge of the plane would be helpful at this moment."

She stops before adding "I will also try to turn anything that looks undead. Let's say that I learned from what happened moments ago."

She looks at the gnome "I hate to admit it but the gnome is probably right. We are blind about what is facing us so having a strategy is good but it could not make sense given what we are facing on this plane."

She looks at Steersissk who is eating every single piece of protein he can get from the chick, including bone narrow. "Steersissk, you mentioned a shadow-man at the boat. What do you mean?"

Steersissk "He rides the boat. He takes hairy prisoners on this boat and he returns by himself."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1942

"I got 2 prepared plus one scroll" Quill said to answer the question of the bard.

He turns to Savin "That plan would be ideal if we had the advantage of terain knowledge. Guiding our enemies to an ambush has one flaw. We struggle to get trough the swamp on foot, lizardmen know and i say know how to swim. They will cut of our retreat in no time. Maybe we need to go back to our lizard friend in the martial plain and ask if we can borrow a guide or to."

23. - Top - End - #1943

ElfPirate

Having stated his opinion already, and hearing Savin's agreement, Ryx just stands waiting for the other three group members to make their own decisions.

24. - Top - End - #1944
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    "Maesyn, any suggestion? Knowledge of the plane would be helpful at this moment."
    "Yes, it certainly would. However, I did not have a chance to visit a library or consult a sage before we crossed over," Maesyn reminds her.

Maesyn Silverhair

25. - Top - End - #1945
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

If Axara could still blush, she would do it right now in response of Maesyn comment. "Sorry Silver Elf, I rushed every one to get done. I guess old habits are hard to get rid of. I know we are walking blind here but I was hoping you had some insight."

She listens to Savin and Quill and Ryxikor before adding. "So it is decided. We rest and go after the shadowscale tomorrow although there is not night or day in this curse plane. What shall the watch order now Rayen is gone and where should we rest?'

She stops, thinks for a second and slaps Quill on the shoulder. "You are quite bright for an accountant, Quillmeister!"

She switches to draconic "Steersissk, how would you feel about coming with us to help us recognize the terrain. Lizard folks have abilities we lack and you can help identify if your friends a sharptooth or shadowscales. And you will be safe with us. The walking tiger? He is now a rug in his room, thanks for the little plainsman here. And you should the other guys here ....."

Steersissk looks at her and cannot believe what he hears "You ... you want .... me to go with you?"

"Not me but the accountant!?"

"What is an accountempt?"

"Never mind. The little hairy one thinks you could help."

Steersissk looks at Quill. "You think I could help?"
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1946

"You grew up in the swamp on the other side if we need to navigate there you will be the ideal candidate at the moment" the gnome smiles "This is the mirror plain of Shadow with some small differences major landmarks will look the same not much has changed."

27. - Top - End - #1947

ElfPirate

Ryxikor still keeps a vigilant eye for any dangers while the others translate the conversation. After a discussion, the groups decides to see if there are any lizardfolk survivors still held captive and liberate the village, but after trying to secure the boat. The elven mercenary unshoulders his short bow and pulls an arrow from his quiver, and wondering if this 'shadow man' could be a shadar kai, Ryx pulls one of his poisoned arrows to see if it will have an effect if hit.

Ryx moves out of the guardhouse a little to see if he can see the boat and man operating it.

Spoiler
    Show

spot: (1d20+4)[22]
    listen: (1d20+4)[13]

28. - Top - End - #1948
    Titan in the Playground

Savin considers following Ryx but decides that he might be better off on his own, with his armor and weapons ringing out.
    Stuffing the spear behind his pack for easy access, he removes his bow from said pack and strings it, checking his arrows to make sure they are true.
    "It seems an age since I've had to use these." he says quietly but conversationally. "Best be ready to move in case Ryx needs our help."

Spoiler
    Show

Listen
    (1d20+5)[3](8)
    Spot
    (1d20+6)[20](26)

29. - Top - End - #1949

ElfPirate

Deciding to scout ahead, Ryx gets his poisoned arrow and bow ready, nocking the arrow. Once the others are ready to continue and are a safe distance behind him to not make noise, Ryx heads out. He tries to stick to shadows which shouldn't be hard on this plane, and behind anything that's available. He tries to move close to the water's edge.

The elf readies his shot, just in case he's seen, then dashes to the boat while pulling another arrow.

Spoiler
    Show

init (in case): (1d20+3)[22]

HP: 40/41
    AC: 18

if seen, starts the round for Ryx

standard action: fire poisoned arrow
    move action: move 30' to boat, get another poison arrow

range attack: (1d20+9)[23]
    damage: (1d6+2)[8]

poison: (DC 13 fortitude, 2d6 min of paralysis)

30. - Top - End - #1950
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Quill provides Steersissk reasons for him to help. The lizardfolk thinks about it before adding in Draconic “I will come and help to find my nest mates. But I am not a fighter ….. ”

The group decides what to do next. Will they rest? Will they go after the shadowscale village? Or will they check who is the boatman minding the boat? The final option is chosen and a stealth approach is decided.

Ryxikor, being the most stealthy member of the group, goes into a reconnaissance mission while other are prepared to do a range attack if needed.

The elf is eerily silent as he walks the distance from the ruined gate house to the damaged fountain. How successful Ryxikor is at hiding behind the fountain is to be decided.

The elf sees A rickety wharf leading out over the black waters of the bayou. A strange looking boat is moored at the end of the dock. This rather ungainly looking keelboat is about 30 feet in length. A small lantern hangs from the vessels bare mast, and another from the bowsprit. Out in the water, Ryxikor can make out a beacon of pallid light, a channel marker of some kind, it seems.

Ryxikor is about to go back to the gatehouse when another of the tall, slender shadow-people emerges from the bizarre boat's cabin. His skin is a dusky gray color, his hair is black, and his face is covered with purple tattoos. Iron jewelry pierces his ears and arms. There is no doubt. He is a shadar-kai. He glares at Ryxikor and rasps, "Well? Who sent you?”

Ryxikor has no idea who or what saw him and brought that shadar-kai on deck.

Spoiler
    Show
    Axara spell: L0 5/5, L1 4/4 +1D, L2 1/3 +1D, L3 2/3+ 1D
    Last edited by achinca; 2013-09-16 at 10:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show