New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30557071727374757677787980818283 LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2464
  1. - Top - End - #2371
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

As the elf lays on the bed with his arms behind his head, Axara smiles at him. "This is actually tempting but I doubt you have enough gold to afford my special. May be another time ...... " She smiles even more and turns around, really amused.

The rogue rogue search the bed and finds nothing of interest. The armoires contains personal effect, mainly women clothes not worth their weight but a large iron coffer get the elf's attention.

He searches it and finds a magical trap, a glyph of warding. Using his exceptional disabling devices skill, he is able to bypass the glyph. However, he is not about to open the lock.

In the meantime, Axara kicks the headless body of the servant of Cyric and two pieces of paper fall from her armor.

She picks them up. The first one reads

"Most honored Watchful Skull, Blackwill Akhmelere,

Greetings from your bloody hand, Skull Servant Ethar. As expected, the Sharrans hide their secrets well, but I did discover something that might lead us to understanding their ultimate plan. We aid them in their ritual to create a field of dead magic over the Vast Swamp. Obviously, this is to their advantage as only Shadow magic works within these spaces, but claiming the swamp as a base of operations seems foolish. This incongruity bothered me, and I prayed to the Black Sun to grant me knowledge of their plans. I received no vision, but while living here in one of their old monasteries I discovered the piece of parchment I’ve attached with this letter, praise be to Cyric. I believe it to be the writings of a monk that once lived in the Monastery of the Ebon Dome.

It seems the Sharrans have a secret Roll of Years. Of its origin or accuracy, I can say nothing, but some names seem uncannily close to the history we have witnessed – perhaps even more so than those penned by the Lost Sage, Augathra the Mad. You can see that the Black Chronology seems to span a mere 34 years, but perhaps there is more not revealed by this scrap of parchment. Reading the “Book of the Black” might explain more and tell us what the Sharrans truly plan.

I could not find more writings like this one despite a week of searching. I made subtle inquiries with the Sharrans and Despayr. Despayr seemed to know nothing, but with his kind, it is always hard to tell. The other Sharrans said they did not know what I meant, but talked about how the monks at this monastery went mad – but I sensed some wariness in their postures.

I think we need to find this Book of the Black and
    "

The other paper list past, present (1374) and future years in the forgotten realms.

Spoiler
    Show
    See Obsidian Portal, Wiki, Document from the Sharrans
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

2. - Top - End - #2372
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

The elven mercenary stands up and rubs his chin, "Hmm, I thought for sure I'd have had that one." he says, more to himself than anyone else. Being as it seems they might have cleared this monastery, Ryx gathers everything of interest, armor, weapons, magic and mundane, everything, and retreats back to the room and kitchen where they battled the horned sorcerer, he also carries the locked iron coffer. As the group of heroes discuss what to do next, Ryx searches the kitchen, looking for good edible food or drink.

3. - Top - End - #2373
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn examines the Shadow Roll with interest. He looks first at the current year, marked as the Year of Lightning Storms in the traditional Roll. In the Sharran Roll, it's the Year of the Unraveling.

"It seems our current year is marked by the Sharrans as the Year of the Unraveling, though whether this Roll was divined by the Sharran equivalent of a sage, or someone's idea of wishful thinking isn't clear. Regardless, the Unraveling certainly could apply to an effort to unmake the Weave," he points out.

He notes some other interesting points on the calendar. "The Time of Troubles is marked on the Shadow Roll as the Year of Ascension. True of Cyric, Kelemvor, and Mystra, certainly, but not of Shar."

He also points to another year. "Two years ago, the Year of Wild Magic. The Sharrans called this the Year of Dark Returns. That could correspond to the resurrection of Bane."

The Bard ponders the list. "For anything else I'd have to do some research. And of course, the names on the traditional roll have proven to be virtually useless for predicting the future; no doubt the ones on the Shadow Roll are equally ambiguous."

Maesyn Silverhair

4. - Top - End - #2374
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a piece of rag left over from one of the guard clothes, Savin wipes the gore from his chain and spear, before wrapping his chain up and leaning on his spear as he listens to Axara and Maesyn.
    Knowing he is out of his depth, he lets the others discuss before interjecting.
    "So, the Sharran's believe this information to be true. How will you three fare if they this swamp is without magic?" he says to the magic users.

5. - Top - End - #2375
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    "So, the Sharran's believe this information to be true. How will you three fare if they this swamp is without magic?" he says to the magic users.
    "Not very well, of course," Maesyn replies. "But we know the Vast Swamp is not a dead magic zone, as we've cast plenty of spells within it. Perhaps the Sharran ritual failed, or perhaps we disrupted their activities before they could complete it."

He ponders their surroundings. "Interestingly, this entire monastery seems to be populated by Cyricists. Perhaps the Sharrans are holed up elsewhere, closer to Despayr's lair. But it also raises the question of what the Cyricists were doing with the dominated pilgrims who came here. Has anyone seen any evidence of them, or their remains?"

Maesyn Silverhair

6. - Top - End - #2376
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Ryxikor decides to strip the vanquished enemies of their belonging and bring the unopened small iron coffer back to the kitchen where the group first met the tiefling.

On the now dead cyricist, Ryxikor finds a potion of cure moderate wound, a wand that Axara recognizes as a cure light wound wand with (1d50)[19] charges, and 2 scrolls.

In addition, she was wearing a full plate and a heavy steel shield which both look magical as well as a MW mace and crossbow and 10 bolts.

On the guards, the elf finds 2 potions of cure light wounds, 2 potions of invisibility, 2 breatplate which look magical, 2 MW large steel shield and bastard sword as well as 2 light crossbow and 16 bolts.

Maesyn reviews the note from the Sharrans and easily identify some of milestones. Axara looks at him impressed “I did not know you were such a scholar of history and religion. You never cease to amaze me Maesyn and not too many men can make that claim.

The priestess thinks for a few moments as she reviews the unfinished letter from Ethar, the dead priestess. It seems that this monastery was a Sharrans monastery at first. IT would make sense as it is on the plane of shadows. And apparently they all went crazy, which could explained the burned library we found earlier. It is not a stronghold for Cyricists not from the plane. I wonder if it is a gateway to protect whatever they call the Great Rift ”

Savin cleans his weapon and asks an excellent question about dead magic and its impact on spell casters. Maesyn offers part of an answers and bring in the issue of the dominated parishioners.

Axara looks at the two men before chiding in “The sour of my magic is Mystra. And she helps providing magic through the realms via the Weave. If somehow, the Sharrans would find a way to tear the Weave and replace it by a Shadow Weave, it would prevent myself and anyone using the Weave, such a Quill to be able to cast a spell. Only adept of Shadow magic would be able to cast spell, basically only Sharrans or people tainted by the shadows.

She stops again as Maesyn mentions the pelerins “So they got them in Wheloon under the pretense of being a Mystran temple. They dominated them and whomever could cast magic was sent to the lost refuge while the other where toys for the crazy sadistic sharrans. Once in the lost refuge, they would got through the dust gate and travel to the plane of shadows. Some would become meat for the gharran. The rest would go on the skeleton boat to be brought here. From here, where did they go? I do not recall seeing bodies or signs of these pelerins being massacred. Any ideas?

Status
    Spoiler
    Show

Axara spell: L0 6/6, L1 4/5 +0D, L2 2/5 +1D, L3 3/4 + 1D, L4 2/2 + 0D
    Turning attempts left: 5/5
    CLW Wand 1d8+3 – 28 charges left
    Ryxikor – Protection from Evil (+2 Ac +2 saves vs. evil) – 20 /70 left –
    Savin: Bark skin potion (+2 AC) – 130/180 remaining
    Inspire courage: +1 hit +1 damage
    Ammunition:
    Axara: 0 bolts
    Maesyn 1 bolts
    Ryxikor: 0 arrow
    Last edited by achinca; 2014-02-20 at 02:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #2377

ElfPirate

As the others discuss the things that usually cause wars, Ryx prepares for one of those wars, as he thinks of this Despayr. Noticing the potions of invisibility, if nobody objects, he places them in his pouch. As the conversation dies down, Ryx asks, "Are we prepared to move on? There is a pathway leading out, from that area." pointing to the north.

8. - Top - End - #2378
    Titan in the Playground

"I could use some healing before we move out." Savin says with a grin, noticing the open wounds that have begun to clot over.
    "Give me a few moments." with that he begins rifling through his pack until he pulls out a wand.

9. - Top - End - #2379
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Axara looks at Ryxikor. "I am ready to go. The sooner we stop this blasphemy on Mystra's Weave, the better I will feel."

As Savin looks for his wand, the priestess stops him. "Keep your wand for when I cannot help you. Let me use the party wand." She heals him 5 times, nearly healing 100% of the wounds created by the Cyricist.

Status
    Spoiler
    Show

CLW Wand 1d8+3 – 23 charges left
    Ryxikor – Protection from Evil (+2 Ac +2 saves vs. evil) – 15 /70 left –
    Savin: Bark skin potion (+2 AC) – 125/180 remaining
    Inspire courage: +1 hit +1 damage
    Ammunition:
    Maesyn 1 bolts
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #2380
    Titan in the Playground

Savin nods his thanks to the priestess before readjusting has backpack.
    "You are right. Let us end this fiendish plan and remove ourselves from the abysmal place. I prefer a bit of sunshine and fresh are compared to this stagnant and dead world."

11. - Top - End - #2381
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Axara smiles at Savin "I am with you plainsman. I am tired of not being able to see much and being blind to anything 60 feet away. I wish we could have been better prepared but it is what it is. The sooner we figure out what is happening, the sooner we go back to the material plane."

She stops and sees Ryxikor foraging for food "The people living here, other than the tiefling were not from the plane of shadows so I think the food should be all right. And I wonder what is in the iron coffer. I know you could not open the lock. How about breaking it?"
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #2382

Although his wounds are almost healed. Quill whipers silently pain the assault that Savin gave him have taken a number on him mentally.

He only knots when Savin had asked if he would be in trouble if magic would be taken away from him.

He is tired and as the gnome leaves for a more quite place he takes the scrolls from the evil cleric as well as the unidentified (x) potion taken from Kirians.

As he sits down he he unbottles the potion and takes a sniff from it craft Alchemy (1d20+10)[14]

As bottles it again he looks over the scrolls (using his read magic spell if it fails)

Spell craft (1d20+13)[20] (1d20+13)[19]

Tired out by the repeated casting of spells. Quill rests his eyes for a bit..
    And almost instantly falls asleep.

Much to the irritation of his familiar who waits for her dried chick

(ooc: feel free to wake him. If the group wants to carry on it is no problem.)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Never toss a Dwarf... Halflings are much lighter."

13. - Top - End - #2383
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, lady, if yon elf cannot accompish it by skill, I can probably take one of those foul Cyrists weapons and try to smash it open, if we think something in there might be of value to our fight."

14. - Top - End - #2384

ElfPirate

as the group prepares to finish the trip into the shadow world, Ryx takes the masterfully crafted mace the tiefling carried, and puts it into his haversack.

As if in answer to Savin, the rogue pulls out a crowbar, "Maybe you can pry it open with this."

15. - Top - End - #2385
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn uses the wand he keeps to heal himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+3)[7]

Maesyn Silverhair

16. - Top - End - #2386

ElfPirate

Once the group gets something done with the coffer, Ryx heads to the room that had the books, turns left and starts down the path to see if it leads to this Despayr all the cultists are afraid of.

17. - Top - End - #2387
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Initiative: enemies, [action stopped here], Maesyn Axara, Quill, Ryxikor, Savin

Quill tries to identify the potion and the scroll but is too tired to do so. After a while, he closes his eyes and start snoring.

His assistant seems quite angry so Axara find some dry meat from the reserve and gives it to the weasel. The assistant seems a little suspicious but finally decides to eat it.

Savin decide to use brute force to open the iron coffer that eluded Ryxikor. The elf gives him a crowbar and after a long series of hit, the plainsman finally breaks the lock.
    Inside, the warrior finds the equivalent of 1,840 gold in platinum, gold and silver coins. He also find a miniature silver inlaid weirwood harp, a pouch with 4 yellow topazes and a scroll.

Ryxikor pockets the nicely carve mace from the tiefling to add to his collection. As the elf waits for Savin to open the coffer, he feels the effect of the protection from evil spell dissipate.

Maesyn heals himself back to full health.

Axara tries to decipher the scrolls but fails to do so. Angry, she starts an incantation and read the scroll and looks a little impressed “We have a scroll of Divine Power, a scroll of Greater Magic Weapon and more importantly, the iron coffer contained a raise dead scroll. Good to know if one of us meets his destiny. All we would need is 5,000 gold pieces.”

The group eats from the food reserve of the Cyricists and when everyone is ful, they wakeup the accountant gnome. “Time to wakeup Quillmeister! The Great Rift is waiting for us. gold pieces.

During the small dinner, Maesyn feel the bark skin spell to stop working.

The group decides to continue to push with Ryxikor leading the way on the trail out of the room with the skulls and the candles and the books.

A well-worn path leads through a thicket to the east and down the bluff. The gray trail blends into the shadowy terrain until it is wallowed by darkness. Looking in that direction, the group gets the sense of a vast openness, a void that is a disturbing contrast to the sense of confinement that the group has felt since entering this plane.
    Status
    Spoiler
    Show

Ammunition:
    Maesyn 0 bolts
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #2388

scratches his head Quill mumbles still a bit asleep. "Before we go are we sure our prisoners are secure? two in the kitchen and one near miss headless."

19. - Top - End - #2389

ElfPirate

Ryx takes his normal position, guarding the rear, and makes every effort to not let the group get snuck up on from behind.

20. - Top - End - #2390
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Quill mentions the still breathing enemies. Using his rope, Ryxikor ties the unconscious men who have been stripped of all armors and weapons.

The group decides to continue its search for the dragon called Despayr but Axara real concern is the tear in the Weave.

After leaving the Ebon Dome, the group is in the Shadow Plane version of the Vast Swamp. Luckily for them, the trail is well marked. After following it for about 10 minutes, the group arrives at a deep canyon set directly in the Shadow Swamp. On 'all sides, swamp water flows or trickles into the canyon, falling over 100 feet to splash in the waters below. Despite the constant influx of dark fluids, the water at the bottom of the Black Rift never rises and the swamp never drains.

As the group round a low hummock in the swamp, it see a squat stone cabin dimly illuminated by flaming posts that flank the walkway. To the west is a short pier with two rowboats tied to it, also it by a flaming post. A suspension footbridge connects pier and the cabin.

The group hears the dull roar of moving water; beyond the cabin, the water falls into an unknown expanse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marching Order: Savin, Axara, Quill, Maesyn, Ryxikor. You are about 120 feet from the cabin. Everyone except Axara can see. The rest is shadowy illumination (20% miss). Axara only sees at 60 feet

Status
    Spoiler
    Show

Ammunition:
    Maesyn 0 bolts
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #2391
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, chain wrapped around his arm, puts his spear back and takes out his bow, moving as quietly as he can, as he moves out a little ahead of everyone else.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide
    (1d20+11)[10](21)
    Move Silently
    (1d20+9)[8](17)

22. - Top - End - #2392

"Another boat?" Quill whimpers.

23. - Top - End - #2393
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin moves forward and 50 feet from the swamp cabin stops. The entrance is there the flaming post it. He does not see any creature on the suspended bridge or near the entrance to the cabin.

Quill once again feels queasy about going on a boat. The priestess whispers "If there is a set of bridge across this rift, I am not sure using a boat is required. It could help or hurt, who knows what kind of monster lurk in this swamp. I wonder what they are used for."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #2394

"Maybe our friendly black dragon needs fresh meat? And it is just a fishers boat?"
    Quill replies hopefully

25. - Top - End - #2395

ElfPirate

The elf watches the plainsman as he scouts ahead, feeling uneasy about his friend moving ahead by himself. Ryx unshoulders his short bow, draws an arrow, and quietly follows Savin, probably without the plaisman even knowing it, whispering, "Stay here." to the others.

Spoiler
    Show

Ryx is following Savin but 25' behind him, afterall Savin was in the front of the group and Ryx in the back.

hide: (1d20+9)[28]
    move silent: (1d20+9)[22]

26. - Top - End - #2396

ElfPirate

hmm, forgot to roll spot and listen checks in IC.

spot: (1d20+4)[6]
    listen: (1d20+4)[15]

27. - Top - End - #2397
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin is on the trail, 50 feet from the first wall of the swamp cabin.

25 feet behind him, a silent Ryxikor follows. However, the elf does not hear or see anything in the shadows.

Axara smiles at the gnome "Quillmeister, these row boats could be for fishing or patrolling the swamp or move from one place to another. I think that the bridges might be a better bet to travel in my opinion."

The plainsman focuses his eyes on a the shadowy structure and then finally notices a creature. Sitting on the corner of the walkway around the house, he sees an armored canine-like creature laying there.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #2398

"Concured, let's take the bridge. It would be severe if we leave and someone we missed frees our prisoners."

29. - Top - End - #2399

ElfPirate

Ryxikor keep a vigilant post, keeping his eye on Savin, and searching for any other dangers.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+4)[14]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[9]

30. - Top - End - #2400
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, after noticing the creature, sinks down, hidden. He extends his arm, palm out, towards his companion. Once he spots Ryx and the others, he pushes his hand down and waves the forward, cautioning them as best he can.