New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Heroes of the Feywild [IC]

Jalix

Looking down at his legs, again, Jalix finds his feet are completely asleep. He mumbles a couple arcane words and waves his orb, to little effect. "You guys got this right?" he calls to his left and right, where the woman is surrounded and grabbed, and where the fleeing eladrin is harried by his companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Second Wind. Should put Jalix at 42 HP, with raised defenses.
    Designer of Cortex Shuffle – Fantasy Playset complete, and available pending licensing
    Currently developing Mythikal Fantasy and coreTEK, both using Cortex Prime
    TwitterDiscord

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

The fleeing Eladrin is taken down as he's first plowed into by a charging Paladin, and then an arrow lodges in his back. The woman hisses in pain and looks at the bodies of her companions and the threat in the eyes of her assailants.

"Alright. You win. The Lady will not be amused, however. What do you want of us?"
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    The rune warrior leaps off his mighty steed and slings the unconscious eladrin over the horse's back. He leads Auldfaxe back to the scene of the battle.

Your wounded will be tended, milady. We are not common criminals or bandits; we are investigating an important matter, and you are a prime suspect, he says, unceremoniously tossing the unconscious man on the ground, despite his assurances of treatment. He gives her a fanged grin, which ends up mostly looking like a snarl.

Eladrin children are being kidnapped. I do not suppose you'd know anything about that?
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman glares daggers at the Paladin.

"Kidnapping is such an ugly term. I prefer to think of it as talent acquisition. She's taken a fancy for that sort lately and finds them amusing. A pity they keep trying to run away, but that's what the supplies are for. Don't worry, they're being taken good care of otherwise. Though they do keep having such a silly tendency to not be merry in her presence. Quite a bad idea." She laughs at Baruk. "With that attempt at a smile, you'd not last a moment in her realm!"
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge lets out a low growl. "She'd love me, then. I like to make people smile permanently." He runs his blade in a curve along her cheeks to demonstrate. "Why don't you organise an introduction for my friends and me?"

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    Dredge, as much as your sense of humour is appreciated, perhaps it is best if we bring this woman back with us to Serestral? I am sure our employer would like to hear what she and her goons have to say. And I am not interested in taking on an archfey, even one of laughter, without doing some due diligence first, of course.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

"What could she possibly say?" Dredge asks, irritated. "She's already admitted to taking the kids. You have a point about the archfey, though... they're a tricky lot. Best be prepared."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    At the very least, we'll have followed due process and brought the lot to justice. I don't exactly like the idea of leaving them here unconscious in the woods, do you? I would rather not worry about foes at my back while I contend with foes at my front.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

Satisfied that this kidnapper will be brought to justice (of some form), Wagneri returns to staring with awe at the ruins of Roslow's tower. Sheepishly, he asks his companions, "Since we're here... do you think we could take a quick look inside? I'd love to see if anything remained of Master Roslow's work."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Assuming we are taking a short rest during this conversation, Wagneri spends one healing surge to get back to full HP.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge starts, having forgotten about the fantastical tower behind him. He scowls and shoves the woman towards Baruk, turning to regard the ruins. "Yes... I also would like to investigate."

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    The half-orc grin-grimaces as he catches the prisoner by her lapel. We cannot just leave them here to their own devices while we go exploring, much as I would like. Say, I don't suppose we have legitimate product in that wagon? Some cold iron manacles would keep them in check while we go looking around.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #402
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge lets out a harsh, rasping laugh. "I like the way you think, Paladin, he says as he moves over to the cart and retrieves a few pairs of manacles.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Salera did in fact send you with a full load of goods, and you soon find suitable restraints for most of the fey, despite most of what you brought being sized for children. Laranil's larger build defies even leg manacles for children, but you make do with some chains. The woman glares at you.

"Well, it's no matter. If you're going in there all we have to do is wait for someone to notice we've been gone too long and come retrieve us, since you'll not be coming out again!" She rolls her eyes and leans back against the wagon wheel she's chained to.

You ascend one of the outside staircases and find yourself before a great mithral door. In time gone by it would have been a formidable obstacle, but time and adventurers who've tried at the tower's defenses and secrets before have gotten it open for you already.

OOC: Is everyone going in?

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    The half-orc growls. I do so wish our prisoners would cease making empty threats, he grumbles. He strokes Auldfaxe's mane and then inhales from the rose at his hip, and the charger vanishes, along with his lance. He puts the rose back into its place in his belt, but does not yet draw a weapon. He advances to the door. Dredge, Jalix... is it safe to enter? asks the rune warrior.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #405
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Nistra

"Ahem," Nistra speaks up to Baruk as she slips past him to the door. "There's someone else here who can investigate just as well as them." She looks over the door for any sign of trouble before slipping inside quietly, disappearing into the nearby shadows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+8)[17] to make sure the doors are safe, Thievery (1d20+13)[14] if there's any trouble, and Stealth (1d20+18)[20] to enter the tower quietly

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    The orc inclines his head. My apologies, Nistra. But this is the tower of a wizard; I was more concerned with magical traps than mundane ones...
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #407
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Nistra

"Ah, right, you've just recently met me," Nistra says. "Well, I'm not a one-trick thief, and I can handle magical traps as well as physical ones."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Whoops, forgot her free out of class skill training :P Thanks for the reminder
    Arcana (1d20+11)[31]

18. - Top - End - #408
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge waits politely for Nistra to finish her examination of the door. Once done, his eyes gain a milky sheen and pierce the gloom inside the tower, searching for any hidden dangers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Unseelie Eyes for Darkvision.
    Perception: (1d20+2)[11]

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

Wagneri climbs the steps to the tower entrance with both reverence and fear. As his more practical allies search for danger, the bookish Knight searches his memory for anything from his studies of Master Roslow that might assist them in their exploration.

Spoiler
    Show
    History: (1d20+17)[35]

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Nistra: The door seems free of mundane traps, although you detect a strong presence of illusion magic. It's quite powerful and while it suffuses the entire tower, it's quite strong here at the door. You suspect there's more to this than is apparent.

Wagneri: Pavick Roslow was, of course, an illusionist. You remember reading in a book once that he loved using false entrances and secret passages to lead people astray and also smuggle them to safety. You recall his work rescuing gnome slaves from the Formorians and the clever illusions he spun to cover their tracks and get away. It seems likely he'd use such a thing here as well.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Dredge peers through the darkness beyond the door and sees that there seems to be another door right behind it. In times gone by it might have thrown people off, but the magic that created the illusion has either faded with time or the meddling of later spellcasters, and he can dimly see beyond the translucent image to an open hall beyond with a spiral staircase wrapping around the inside of the tower.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    With his grimace of a smile, the half-orc advances. Wagneri, would you like to take the fore, or guard the rear? In a place like this, threats could rise from any direction, and it would be wise to have us flank the others.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #413
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge approaches cautiously, one hand raised in front of him holding his shadowy dagger as he advances slowly through the first door. He sticks the dagger through the illusory door and waves it around.

Once satisfied that the door is truly incorporeal, he steps through and investigates the circular hall more closely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+2)[12]

24. - Top - End - #414
    Orc in the Playground

As Dredge passes through the false door, Wagneri nods with understanding. "Illusion. Of course. Master Roslow was famous for them. He loved making secret doors and passages. Don't trust your eyes in here."

Responding to Baruk, "Good thinking. I suppose I should take the lead; I've got a bit of a sense for the sort of things Master Roslow was working on here. It might help."

Wagneri then takes a deep breath and steps through the door, leading with the tip of his quarterstaff, and joins Dredge inside the tower.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    The half-orc rune warrior nods. As you wish. He lets Nistra and Jalix move ahead of him, and takes up a defensive position at the rear, eyes peeled and fangs bared for any threats that may present from behind the party.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #416
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Nistra

Once past the illusory door, Nistra stows a crossbow and holds a hand out, Bloom moving to hover over her open palm. "Um, you might want to cover your eyes for a moment." She takes a couple seconds to focus then snaps her fingers, causing Bloom to grow brighter while retaining its small size, filling the room with light. "This should help us navigate a bit easier." Keeping her other crossbow ready at her side, Nistra's eyes and senses peer around as the group moves cautiously through the tower.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana (1d20+11)[20]
    Perception (1d20+8)[17]

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

As you enter the tower, you feel... Disoriented. It takes a moment to realize, but it occurs to you as you look about that it's bigger on the inside. It's hard to tell if it's an illusion or a warping of space, but either way the effect is unsettling.

The tower's interior is covered with a layer of dust, but even underneath it you can tell the place was once richly decorated. There's a home-y feel to it, though, as though the inhabitant was fond of normality despite his power. Looking up, you see that the staircase seems to go all the way up, though here and there platforms and other staircases branch off of it like some kind of tree. What truly catches your eye, though, is the storm that seems to be raging in the middle of the space.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    Ah, it's... smaller on the outside, says Baruk with a bit of wonder, looking up at the higher reaches of the tower. Well, let us see what Roslow has left us.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #419
    Orc in the Playground

Wagneri looks around the tower space with awe. He could only dream of one day creating such a home.

Tipping back his visor, the Knight takes a closer look at the storm raging within the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Wagneri understand anything about the storm, the source of its power or any special properties?

Arcana check: (1d20+18)[33]

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

The storm rumbles and rages overhead like thunder in the mountains. Wagneri can tell that it's definitely not natural. Nor for that matter does it seem to be based in arcane magic, although there's definitely some arcane magic being used to contain the storm. It feels more primal in nature, from what you understand of such things. It's close to some of the balconies and you notice you could get a better look if you went up there.