New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Tomb of Horrors! [3.5] IC

In the far reaches of the world, under a lost and lonely hill, lies the sinister Tomb of Horrors. Terrible traps, strange and ferocious monsters, rich and magical treasures, and an evil demilich fill this labyrinthine crypt.
    Roleplaying, rolls, and other in-class stuff goes here.
    Have fun!

You start in a small city, where you have all seen signs asking for people to go on a quest- a quest to find and explore the mysterious Tomb of Horrors...
    Last edited by white rider; 2012-05-10 at 02:36 PM.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tomb of Horrors! [3.5]

Looks like I'm in the right place after all. Davben thinks to himself. He glances to the signs and looks to see if there's someplace where one can register their interest...and get a map. He adjusts his gloves and keeps one hand on his sword.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Garbed in the vestments of a cleric of Olidammara, the gnome sits in the shade of an overhang, observing other potentials approaching the notice and reading it before heading inside. He strokes his cherrywood staff as he thinks, pondering just which of them will actually embark on the task. His feet firmly on the dirt road as he lounges on his barrel, he is ever aware of the multitude of people around him through his innate connection to the earth.

4. - Top - End - #4

Brice studies the poster carefully before heading off to find where he can gather a few people and some fresh new supplies. "Probably going to be one of those days..."
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

The name of the place. This is what drew Gabriel's attention when he noticed the sign on the outer side of the tavern's door.

"Sounds promising... there might be something useful..."

He was wearing a simple monk's outfit when entered the city. After the long travel it was rather dirty. With a hairless head and one ear half-missing he probably looked more like a homeless vagrant.

Gabriel tore the sign from the door, asked somebody who walked by how to get to the adress, and went there, stopped only several times to ask couple of people about the place he was heading.

Gather Information: (1d20+7)[19]
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+6)[23]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, well, looks like fun and treasure, but I might need a bit of help. Grim said reading the signs. He checked with a few people on the street about the signs before asking at the local tavern.

gatherinfo - (1d20+2)[21]

7. - Top - End - #7

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Tomb of Horrors! [3.5] IC

Both Grim and Gabriel find out that a reclusive old man, who lives in a tower outside the town, is looking for explorers for an expedition.
    My wifi is down. It should be back up by the 22nd. Sorry, snowy, morcy, drack, hat, etc.

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

The various adventurers make their way to the tower, and stand among a line of applicants. As each makes their way to the front of the line, they are tested and quized in turn on their talents by a man in dark blue robes. As the hubbub of talking quiets down with the end of the questions, the man calls out six names.
    "Grim! Face! Torian! Gabriel! Brice! Davben! Enter! The rest of you wannabees clear off!"
    Following the man, you enter the tower, where he leads you to a room where an old man sits in a chair.
    The man gestures to several stools. "Sit."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Davben narrows his eyes suspiciously when his name is called, but heads inside. Once there, he sizes up everyone else and takes a seat. While it'd be very uncomfortable to draw his longsword from this position, he keeps a hand rather close to his left thigh, where a short sword is strapped. Just in case.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"So," He says, giving the room another glance-over for traps or hidden assassins. Unlikely, he knows conciously, but old habits die hard. "Is this going to be a special expedition in some manner, or a standard search-and-grab?"

Spot (For really no reason but Dav's paranoid curiousity): (1d20+8)[20]

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

"You will be trying to retrieve a certain gem, which I need as the focus for a spell."
    *I'll make a longer post this afternoon I just don't have time right now, sorry.*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Prior to arrival to the tower Gabriel changed his appearance by donning the chainmain and helmet.
    Before entering he also attuned his senses to evil, illusions and lies.
    Cast: Divine Insight ; Activate: Detect Evil ; Pierce Illusions is up

He didn't expect so many applicants, but waited thoroughly through the queue.

He quetly proceeded after the man who called his name.
    He walked last so he could stay closest to the door, and chose to remain stationary after being offered a chair.

After the others had finalized their in-room locations prior to questiong their probable employer, Gabriel took a look at every person in the room, deciding whether he could risk joining them on any risk involving mission.

He waited until obvious question is asked and said:
    "How do you know this jewelry of interest is within the limits of the mentioned tomb?"
    Last edited by Fan67; 2012-05-11 at 02:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Brice went through the long procession with humble words, only telling them of his exploits when asked directly. As the group files into the room he unstraps his shield, setting it against his chair and his hammer resting across his lap. "The real question is, what sort of spell are you looking to perform?" He asks the man across from him. He too uses detect evil on the room and specifically the individual.

14. - Top - End - #14

PaladinGuy

*Nobody detects any evil.*
    "The gem is a large emerald, set into a bracelet in the shape of a coiled snake. I need it to test a spell that will remove any and all diseases in a large area. Now, would you like to know the specifics of your mission?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'd say we'd be overjoyed to know specifics. Though, I don't suppose you have a foolproof map of the place." Any glances in his direction by the spellcasters would indicate that no (perhaps surprisingly), Davben isn't evil. He gives Brice and Gabriel odd glances for staring at the old guy, though.
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-05-11 at 08:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So, what kind of reward will we get. I am all for your spell's effect, but the tomb is supposedly dangerous. My life is worth a decent amount. Grim said immediately.
    Do you know if the gem is guarded by a specific being or just left there and protected by whatever traps are within?
    Grim answered after he thought up his worry. Sigh, gem hunting, if it pays the bills, fine, but the man better be worth his time.
    He does wonder why people stare at the old man, no manners he thought.

17. - Top - End - #17

PaladinGuy

"Regrettably, I know very little about the place. And yes, it will be dangerous, but I am prepared to reward you handsomely for your services. Will twenty thousand gold on completion of the mission be enough?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Davben glances at the other assorted adventurers, secretly hoping a better diplomat than he is present. Though, he muses, There's always a need for loophole clarification.

"Do you mean twenty-thousand each or twenty thousand in a pot?" He asks, less out of concern for himself, but to make sure his new companions don't get short-changed.

19. - Top - End - #19

PaladinGuy

"Each. This is risky business, and I will see you rewarded for good work."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Gabriel's question was completely and surprizingly ignored by the old man.
    He waited for several more questions to be asked, and when the man said he knows little about the Tomb, Gabriel tried to catch the slightest particle of lies.
    Sense Motive (with Divine Insight): (1d20+24)[42]

"If you claim to have limited knowledge of the Tomb, what makes you think this emerald is there?" - Gabriel asked suspiciously.

21. - Top - End - #21

PaladinGuy

Gabriel cannot detect a single lie.
    "I used powerful scrying to locate the gem, but I cannot guarantee that it is in the tomb. I know that the lich who created the tomb had the gem, and I assume that it is in the lich's fortress."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I'm willing to go on the mission, but any help with dealing with a demilich. I've never fought one. Any tips or anything?

Grim said after considering the danger.

23. - Top - End - #23

PaladinGuy

"Hit it until it dies."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah. That usually works." Clearly Davben has no clue what a demilich even is. "Still though, we might want to find an expert somewhere. Anyone in our charming little group a mage?"

25. - Top - End - #25

"The real question is, what will you give us to ensure our victory? It would be a shame if we... Didn't make it." Brice asks as he watches the others for a bit.

26. - Top - End - #26

PaladinGuy

"As of yet, almost all my funds are being used to purchase the necessary components for the ritual. I can give you each a 5,000 gp advance on your payment, but for obvious reasons I do not wish to give you each the full amount now."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"Count me out of the advance. I prefer to spend an eternity shopping after my work is done."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Deal me in with the advance, you never know when an extra 5K will help.
    Grim said with a smile.

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

*bags of gold are handed to anyone who requests an advance*

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Davben resists the urge to shout 'He has the gold with him! Quick, jump him!' just to see who'd do it and recomposes himself.

"Well we aren't going to find anything just standing around. When do we leave?" It's patently obvious that he's anxious to go for more reasons than just the gem.