New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Sharkguard: The Sea-Roaring Defender IC

Sharkguard's eyes widen slightly at the mention of the culprit being another shark-man. He isn't that surprised; the damage here has the markings of "aquatic monster" written all over it. He was just hoping it might have been something like an alligator or snapping turtle creature instead, if only to differentiate it from himself. Sharkguard does at least have a description of the creature, along with someone he can save if he hurries. However with those injuries and the possibility that the other shark-man could still be on-board, he couldn't simply leave the sailor here while he gets to the bridge. Generally it would be better not to move a wounded person but in this case the shark-man will need to risk it if it means he can treat the sailor sooner. Considering that Sharkguard has to turn the ship so it isn't heading for the harbor, he'd probably need to head to the bridge anyway.

He bends down next to the sailor, speaking as he usually does but hiding the extreme concern he has for the sailor's wounds. "Well I'll let yarr know that this other 'sharkman' can't take a bite outta me body and muscles if he tried. Nothin' to worry 'bout him." He takes one more look at the sailor's injuries. "Can't keep yarr here though. This ship's belly be pierced and it's blind towards crashin' into ta harbor. And with those injuries we can't be affordin' to keep yarr here and at risk." Slowly Sharkguard reaches out to pick up the injured sailor. The shark-man makes sure to keep his arms away from the lacerations or wounds as he stands back up and begins moving towards the bridge. "Not gonna be a gentle ride, but keep strong now and I get yarr to good health in no time. Like a good captain, I never be leavin' a sailor behind till ta ship gives it's last breath!"
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-02-11 at 01:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

"A-All right." The sailor stammers nervously, wincing as he gets lifted up. "If you say you can handle this... thing, I believe you. Y'sure look like it, anyway."

Sailor in tow, you make your way up the tilted and narrow stairs leading up to the next floor, where the bridge is. There's another mangled body up here, lying in a blood pool next to a gun and a couple of shell casings. There's a small wall safe hanging open with a box of cartridges inside in the back of the room. This sailor, whoever he was, had some kind of warning of what was coming, for all the good it did him.

The front of the bridge is dominated by a complex control panel, which is sparking a bit in places and completely dead, the wires torn out in several places. The wheel has been lashed in place, pointing the ship in towards Freedom City with no need for a helmsman. As promised, in the back, next to the safe and the stairs up to the very top of the ship, is a large white metal locker. "There should be a-a crash kit in there, if that other creature didn't take it or something."
    Lovely Gorgon avatar by smuchmuch!

Excellent Ex-avatar Collection
    Spoiler
    Show

Air Ace and Gremlin by the superb kpenguin.

3. - Top - End - #363

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard makes note of the other deceased sailor as he stumbles by him. With those shell casings, either the other shark-man is also bulletproof or it can simply heal from bullet wounds quickly. With only the blood of that sailor around though, Sharkguard is pretty sure that it would be another bulletproof shark-man. It makes things more interesting and at the same time more dangerous. Wherever it is now, it sure did cause a lot of damage while it was here.

And to contrast it's bloodthirsty side, the damage it did to the bridge makes it look like it really did know what it was doing. The busted control panel, removed wires, and lashed wheel means that it's going to be very difficult to turn this ship. Repairing it isn't going to be happening either with Sharkguard's rather lousy mechanic skills. He could go thinking for awhile on what to do about the tanker if it wasn't for the fact that he brought a badly injured sailor here for a reason.

"I be doubtin' that it was taken if there ain't any sign of tear. Yarr just relax and lemme fix you right up for now." He sets down the sailor gently close by the locker before going to open the locker, hopefully not by force in case it's locked. He had the curiosity to look at the safe once or twice, but knows to focus on medical attention for now. At the very least however, Sharkguard decides to ask on what to do about the controls of the tanker. "Gotta ask though, would there be any way of moving this ship with those busted controls?" So long as there is a crash kit of some sort, Sharkguard will get to work on bandaging the sailor's wounds immediately and stop the bleeding as best as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it's plausible, I'd like to take 10 on Medicine in trying to heal and stabilize the sailor. (with the +2 circumstance bonus, that should be a result of 16 I think) Otherwise just let me know and I'll roll instead.

4. - Top - End - #364

Sure enough, there's a decent-sized box of supplies in the locker. Nothing amazing, but the basics are here, enough to patch up the sailor enough to keep him stable until you can get him safely to a hospital.

It takes a few minutes for the sailor to get patched up. Once you're done, he pulls himself into a chair with a grimace. "Thank you. I think... I think I'll be OK, for a little bit, anyway." He shakes his head when you ask about the controls. "Nah, those look pretty busted to me. I'm an engine worker anyway, don't actually know much about electronics. The wheel might still work, though. Rudder controls are mechanical, so you can still steer at least during emergencies."

Spoiler
    Show
    The Stabilize DC is 15, so taking 10 is fine here. The bonus makes it an autopass check. The sailor is no longer Dying.

A Profession: Sailor roll might help with the ship. I'd also accept any other rolls you can come up with a good justification for, same for creative power use. Or non-creative power use. Whichever.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365

SwashbucklerGuy

While patching the sailor up took longer than Sharkguard would have wished, it was enough to keep him alive which is more than he can say for the other sailors. With that out of the way though, now it's time to focus on the wheel. Despite being a sailor, Sharkguard never has actually piloted a tanker before. He's a man of the seas but never quite reached the chain of command to the point where he had ever used the wheel of this kind of ship before. It can't be that complicated however, could it? Aside from the pressure that needs to be tracked when turning the wheel, as well as the angle of turning that needs to be factored. This isn't even mentioning the hole that's bringing in water right now.

Okay so maybe it's more complicated than it seems.

With no time to lose, Sharkguard decides to get to work on the wheel. Firstly he sees if there's any places on it that could use minor adjusting to help it work better. Aside from his experience as a sailor, the shark-man had found an advantage to living off in a dark area away from populated buildings. Traveling around the alleyways sometimes tends to have the shark-man hear some interesting info from wandering gangs or other possibly shady people who wander there. Among others, Sharkguard does sometimes hear of the mechanics in sabotage work; perhaps recalling some of it might help in trying to fix parts of the ship, or at the very least allowing it to turn or stop.

In the meantime however, Sharkguard has a quick look at the safe, asking with unfocused interest, "Just askin', yarr know what ta captain been keepin' in that safe?" The other shark-man attacked this tanker for a reason. Whatever reason that is, Sharkguard still needs to figure that out after averting the disaster that is approaching.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll definitely roll for Profession (Sailor) here: (1d20+4)[19]

I hope my post also justifies use of a Knowledge (Streetwise) roll too: (1d20+8)[26]

6. - Top - End - #366

"In the safe? Just the gun, I think. Didn't think we'd ever need it, it was mostly for show." The sailor shakes his head. "That thing didn't seem too interested in lootin' the ship. There's valuable stuff downstairs, but he never touched it, just tore on through the crew an' kept going."

Once you get the wheel free, you confirm that the steering is still functioning, just like the sailor said. The response of this behemoth of a boat is slow and sluggish compared to anything you ever served on in your sailing days, but it does respond.

Getting this thing to stop is another matter. You could always get out and push it back again, but it won't stop for good until the engine is shut off, and the busted controls make sure that nobody will be doing that from up here.

Of course, there are other options. It may be the largest combustion engine in the world, but it's still a combustion engine. Its pretty much what you'd find under the hood of any car, just scaled up until it's four stories tall, and you've dealt with plenty of car thieves and wannabe supervillains in hot rods. Of course, you could just go down there and start beating on it until it finally broke down- but that might blow up the ship. Or you could cut the drive shaft. The engine can rev all it wants, but if there's no power actually reaching the propellers, she should finally drift to a halt.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #367

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard considers his options as he finds that the wheel is able to move. Turning it will at least keep the ship from hitting the harbor... hopefully. Stopping the ship can be done, it'd just be a matter of finding the best way to do it. Beating down on the engine could work if he was willing to gamble the ship exploding, but that seems like a terrible idea. Even if he would survive the possible explosion, the crude oil would still spread to the ocean. It wouldn't be a much better result than simply doing nothing at all. He decides that cutting the drive shaft would be the better idea. It might be a bit large but it can always be removed one way or another.

Going down there however represents a problem. Until the tanker isn't close to hitting something, the wheel will need to be held so it doesn't creak back to a neutral position or cause the tanker to tip over. If Sharkguard will go down to remove the drive shaft, the other sailor might need to keep the wheel steady if he can do that. There's also the matter of the other shark-man. If it is still on-board, Sharkguard would be leaving the injured sailor defenseless for a short time. To top it off, the sooner the tanker stops moving, the sooner the sailor can get proper medical attention.

At this current dilemma, Sharkguard looks over to the sailor, smiling but clearly serious. "Tis' ship be best to halt quickly. I'll be shuttin' ta drive shaft down for that. Yarr got enough muscle right now to keep this wheel steady while this dyin' beast turns away from land?" The heroic shark-man keeps the wheel turned in the meantime. It's slow response speed makes it such an annoyance, but it's probably the best way to turn the ship away. "If yarr gots'a preference' instead to come with me, I can comply. Just say ta word!"

Holding the wheel means he can't quite get a good look, but Sharkguard does try to take a look at where the tanker's proximity to the harbor currently is and whether he can see anything else of distance from where he is.

Spoiler
    Show
    If a Notice check might mean anything, I'm gonna make one just in case: (1d20+4)[12]
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-02-19 at 03:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368

The coast looks pretty clear from up here. Most smaller vessels had the sense to get out of the way of the listing, out-of-control monster. The inner harbor is about a mile or two away, and closing. At this speed, there's probably 15-20 minutes before you collide with one of the docks. If the wheel stays turned the way it is, the ship should avoid that fate and just do huge sluggish circles in the outer bay. Well, until it sinks, that is. If you're going to stop the tanker, now's as good a chance as you'll get. The sailor nods weakly and drops down into the helmsman's chair. "I think I can hold the wheel for ya. D-don't take too long, though."

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard watches the sailor take the wheel and helmsman's chair, wondering and hoping in the meantime that he isn't pushing the injured sailor too hard. The sailor is lucky to have been alive after that nasty bite and really shouldn't have a right to be pressed into doing this. Yet the shark-man believes that this will be the best result if he is to stop the tanker, keep it from crashing into anything, and getting medical attention over here as soon as possible. As much as Sharkguard wishes he could, he can't do everything himself. At the least, the sailor's task is to keep the wheel steady; nothing taxing or straining in any way.

"Keep in high spirits matey," he says to inspire the sailor. "A sailor never slacks on a movin' boat. Be back before yarr know it!" With that, the shark-man makes his way from the bridge and quickly to the combustion engine where the drive shaft will be. He thinks over the various ideas on how to cut it when he gets to it. If there's a switch or button that could detach the shaft, that would make things easy. He highly doubts that is the case though. The most straightforward plan he imagines will be to simply tear the shaft apart with his bare hands.

Though he all considers this with the idea that he'll easily reach the engine in the first place.

10. - Top - End - #370

Reaching the engine room is simple enough, and only takes a minute or two. Sharkguard can just retrace his steps back down a few floors. From the hallway where the galley is, another passage heads into engineering.

Spoiler
    Show

The engine dominates the room, naturally. This thing is literally the size of a house! And the sheer size of everything down here is where Sharkguard sees the challenge with detaching the drive shaft from the engine. It's easy enough to spot, running along the floor from the rear of the engine towards the back end of the ship. It's spinning at a few hundred rpm, appears to be solid steel, and it's taller (and wider) than you are.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371

SwashbucklerGuy

The engine room is quite the mammoth, composed mainly of the engine of course. If his plan was to smash the engine itself, it would take quite a bit of effort and precious time that he can't spare. He's just after the drive shaft, whose size proves to be almost as problematic. He looks at it in surprise as he blinks in frozen thought; he definitely forgot how big it was last time he was in a tanker. He thought that it'd wouldn't be larger and wider than him but his intuition fails him on that account. The shark-man could probably beat it till it stops working and not risk blowing the ship to hell but it would still require effort and time, effort that uses his already fatigued muscles and time that he doesn't want to spare.

There isn't anyone here to cheer him on either. Not that it's critical compared to time but spectators are something Sharkguard would generally like to have. As life goes though, one can never get what they always want; it'd likely get boring that way too.

Before he thinks on how he'd beat it down, Sharkguard quickly thinks on other ways on how to shut down a shaft drive. If a sailor needs to get a shaft drive shut down, there should be a manual way to shut it from here. The shark-man takes a very quick look around as well, seeing if there is something he'd know how to use in regards to the drive shaft.

Spoiler
    Show
    And making checks on how to shut down a drive shaft (aside from the obvious "attempt to smash" as well as a notice check in case it reveals something:

Profession (Sailor): (1d20+4)[8]
    Knowledge (Streetwise): (1d20+8)[12]
    Notice: (1d20+4)[20]

12. - Top - End - #372

You never had to deal with something quite like this while you were a sailor, and the knowledge you've picked up on the streets as a superhero doesn't really help with stopping a huge spinning steel rod. Your sharp senses do help, though. There doesn't seem to be a way do disconnect the drive shaft from the engine, but you do spot a bulky lever near where it exits the hull and links to the propellers. Maybe there's a way to disconnect it on that end? There has to be a way to replace and repair the propellers, right?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373

SwashbucklerGuy

Trying to figure out something that Sharkguard needs to know turns out to be quite fruitless for him. At the least, he is glad for his senses; they may not be as sharp when out of water but they can still be of value on land. The bulky lever prompts a gruff "Hmm," from the shark-man as he sees the nearby exit that links to the propellers. At the very least, he does get another idea from it. If he can't remove the drive shaft safely, then he could always remove the propellers one way or another.

Firstly, Sharkguard decided to see about doing something with the bulky lever first. He walks over to get a good look at it, seeing if it might be stuck in place for any reason at all. Whether it may be or not, the shark-man gives a toothy grunt as he goes to pull the lever, seeing if it might activate or deactivate something relating to the drive shaft or propellers.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-02-25 at 08:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374

The lever shifts slowly before catching on something with a violent screech. It is nearly torn from your grasp, and the grinding of gears reaches deafening levels before the lever snaps. The drive shaft tears free from the socket where it meets the propellers, stripping the screws and sending shards of metal violently hurtling all over the deck as it thrashes and dents the floor, the massive cylinder threatening to jump free of its trough and demolish the engine room!

Spoiler
    Show
    DC 20 reflex save, DC 35/25 toughness depending on reflex.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #375

SwashbucklerGuy

Through Sharkguard's "clever" plan without having needed knowledge, the drive shaft's shards of metal flies all over, easily hitting the shark-man where he is. The shards however do nothing more than scrape his shin, though injuries to him mean nothing compared to the mess he had just made. Obviously the lever is something that should only be used when the ship isn't moving, hence why it struggled and screeched under his strength. With one side of the drive shaft loose, the thing could completely trash the engine room, if not the entire ship. Sharkguard looks in rightful panic as he considers taking up sailing sometime again in the future, if only to have a better recalling of proper rules to follow when on a tanker or ship.

Sharkguard's mind races as he tries to think of how to stop this drive shaft. He had to either keep it from jumping free from the engine that loosely keeps it together, or keep the drive shaft held tight for when it does break free; that way it at least won't go out and trash the ship. The shark-man decides on the latter as he positions himself to grab hold and stop the drive shaft from moving, gripping his feet tightly on the steel floor. Between his fatigue and the fact that things haven't actively been going well, Sharkguard is practically angry, both at himself and at the arsonist that caused all this in the first place. He growls in his gruffness, "Grrrrrr! Yarr bloody, metal-crying, cod-hating-" and shouts numerous expletives as he attempts to hold the drive shaft and keep it from moving.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to try and hold the drive shaft still to keep it from spinning/running and from going all over the place... Hopefully this isn't a bad idea.

Strength check: (1d20+29)[48]

16. - Top - End - #376

As the drive shaft bucks and jumps in the air, Sharkguard manages to catch the massive beast. You are driven back, feet screeching across the metal deck, but for the moment you prove stronger than the huge engine.

Spoiler
    Show
    ST Check rolled in the other thread. You won.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard does his best to keep the drive shaft steady as he holds it in place. The great metal engine definitely puts pressure on the shark-man but not enough to overpower the fatigued hero. This does keep the drive shaft steady enough that he could technically hold it until the ship sinks, which will probably halt the engine. However with an injured sailor still here, the shark-man can't really stay here; the draft shaft has to stop moving before he can go anywhere. The only way he can imagine him doing it is, perhaps ironically, bending or breaking the shaft from the engine.

With it in his grasp, Sharkguard begins pulling and bending the drive shaft in a horizontal direction in attempt to creak and eventually either bend the shaft enough that it stops working, or outright tears the shaft from the engine of the tanker. He wasn't sure whether this will work or not. The shaft isn't connected with the propellers anymore so the ship should eventually stop moving; it's all a matter of keeping the ship from tearing itself apart now. The sooner the better also as Sharkguard will need to get that other sailor to proper medical care as soon as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Super-Strength to try and bend/break the drive shaft; as an attempt to stop it and render it inoperable from the engine. Hope this doesn't seem like a ridiculous idea. (1d20+28)[35]

Also forgot that Sharkguard is currently fatigued atm so he should have a -2 to strength (hence +28 instead of +29)

18. - Top - End - #378

Sharkguard is able to contain the drive shaft for the moment. The gearing where it connects to the engine begins to buckle and protest under the increased strain, but the shaft continues to spin and twist in your gasp for the time being.

Spoiler
    Show
    Give me one more strength check, and we'll see where that takes us.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard manages to let out a small smile as he notices the gearing of the drive shaft stressing out under his strength. If the shark-man can keep it held long enough, it may just halt or break entirely. Trying not to let his own stress take him over, he continues to hold the shaft as he keeps trying to bend it. So long as he keeps it's grip in place, things will come to a head... hopefully for the better than for the worse.

Spoiler
    Show
    And here we go, Strength check! (1d20+28)[41]

20. - Top - End - #380

With an ear-splitting grind and shriek of tearing metal, the drive shaft comes free from the engine, sending Sharkguard stumbling back, but with the massive chunk of steel securely in his arms. It didn't exactly all go to plan, but the ship should finally stop moving forward.

Spoiler
    Show
    As seen in the OOC, opposing ST check was a nat 1. I figure that's a signal to wrap this up.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard could cover his ears from all the wrenching and screeching of metal that's been going on all day. If there's anything that he doesn't like about machines, it's that they rarely do sound peacefully when handled in any way. His time down in the engine room was a bit of a mess; from the breaking of the lever to tearing out the drive shaft in a rather brutish and clumsy way. It was a bit of an extreme strategy to do this but in the end it did stop the engine from running as it should. "Ends justify the means," is not Sharkguard's preferred way and he hopes it won't keep that way in terms of property damage.

The shark-man carefully puts the drive shaft down on the tanker steel ground, not wanting to cause another hole in the already sinking ship. He's got his objective done; so long as the wheel isn't targeted for the harbor, he's got every reason to evacuate the injured sailor and get him towards land. Sharkguard wastes no time in getting back to the bridge where he last left the sailor. The shark-man spent longer here than he would have liked and he hopes that hasn't cost him anything.

22. - Top - End - #382

You feel the ship's list increase as you make your way back towards the bridge. Stopping the engine has changed how the water is flowing into the hole in the hull. There isn't much time until the ship begins sinking in earnest, and not even you could stop it from going under once that starts.

The sailor is where you left him, sitting in a chair on the bridge, holding the wheel with a pained expression on his face. When you enter, he looks up faintly. "Feels like the ship's stopped. You sure made a racket down there..." Any other pearls of wisdom are cut short as the man's eyes roll up and he falls to the floor with a loud thump.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #383

SwashbucklerGuy

Noticing that water had begin rushing in such hastened time, Sharkguard wonders whether he should have turned the tanker away from land, evacuated the sailor, THEN remove the drive shaft. He can't quite turn back time however; he's stuck in this situation as is. With the engine gone, he wonders whether he might have enough strength to bring the ship safety to shore before it goes straight down to the bottom of the sea. Simply trying to halt it was fatiguing, though unlike here, he was fighting full on against the tanker.

Sharkguard doubts that the other sailor could wait though; his doubt is fully realized when he does make it to the bridge. The shark-man had a big smile and jolly "Ahoy," for when he would get to the sailor, but watching the injured human faint and collapse to the floor instead has Sharkguard panicking and quickly bend down next to him. He grunts as he tries not to imagine the possibility that he ended up overworking the sailor to collapse. "What do yarr think yarr doing, gonna let that body die out after all this?!" He speaks in frustration due to the events of the day, but also in genuine concern for the sailor. He acts quickly to pick up the sailor and move him out of the bridge, not having time to do an inspection. "Well I promise tis' ship ain't gonna be yarr watery grave. I came here to save others like a good captain should; I'd be torn limb-from-limb before I be givin' up on it for ta rest o' my life!" Whether the sailor can hear him or not, Sharkguard feels better talking like he's speaking to someone who can hear him.

Sharkguard quickly looks for a safe way down into the ocean with the injured sailor in tow. Water is characteristically not soft; hitting it from a distance could hurt the sailor from the impact. If there's a backup boat the shark-man can use, he'll put the sailor in there. Otherwise, he'll need to jump off the ship.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-03-07 at 09:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384

There's no lifeboat that you can see. The other surviving sailors probably took it to escape from the sharkman, if your companion's theory is right. There are a pair of rather narrow, rickety and rusted-looking ladders hanging off the main deck, near the bow and just aft of the main structure, respectively. They might hold a single climber safely, but you, plus another person? That's dicier. You could also go back out the hole in the hull, if you can reach it, and if you think the wounded, unconscious sailor would be all right being dragged underwater for a while.

If you can find a way safely off the boat, getting back to shore should be simple. The inner harbor is never very rough, and it's not very far, given all the time the ship spent lurching forward.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard makes a quiet, yet urgent sigh when he sees that there is no lifeboat available. He partially should have expected this considering the assault on the tanker that came earlier, but it wouldn't have made his work any easier anyway. Taking consideration of the fact that the sailor is unconscious, going through the hole in the tanker wouldn't be a smart idea. The sailor couldn't hold his breath and thus would not last long underwater. Based on his options, going by ladder would be the better choice even if it'd still not be the most optimal.

Sharkguard hurries over to near the bow of the ship where the rickety ladders should be. He takes a look down to see the distance from the ship's deck to the water before carefully getting a better grip on the unconscious sailor he's holding. The shark-man bends his head down so that he is able to easily lug the sailor over his shoulders and keep him in place with one hand.

Once done, Sharkguard tries to make his way down the ladder using his spare arm and two feet. Rather than simply using the middle supports of the ladder to take it one step at a time, he instead "grips" his feet and one of his hands to the outer sides of the ladder. With this, he tries to slide down the ladder to minimize the amount of pressure used against the ladder. If he was a normal sailor he would simply climb down normally and if he wasn't carrying one he would prefer simply diving off the bow of the ship. Carrying a sailor though, Sharkguard finds this the best way down. From here it should be a quick swim to the harbor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lemme know if I need to make a Climb or similar check.

26. - Top - End - #386

Sharkguard is able to slowly slide/climb down the narrow, rickety ladder with the sailor slung over his shoulder. About halfway down, though, the ship hits a heavy wave, unusually large for the typically placid harbor. Already listing badly, the tanker tilts, leaving the ladder unsupported in midair for a moment. The fatigued metal is unable to cope with your great bulk, and one of the bolts shears free from the deck above you, sending the whole thing swinging wildly into the side of the ship. The impact sends the unconscious sailor tumbling from your grasp, plunging into the sea far below!

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check made, but HP for the setback.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard had neither expected or prepared for the case of a huge wave hitting the tanker when it had already stopped. If anything he was more expecting the boat to begin going down if something actually did go wrong. As things stand however, the shark-man's grip on the sailor loosens as he has to watch the unconscious human fall into the sea where he is unable to breathe at all. The moment Sharkguard realizes this, his accent is thrown away to the sea as well as he shockingly realizes what had happened. "Agh, curse it all!" he growls out as he makes no waste of time in trying to save the fallen sailor.

Sharkguard jumps off the boat's semi-unhinged ladder as he makes a dive into the sea, focused on finding the undoubtedly drowning sailor. In the seas light up only by the rays of the sun, he uses his senses and bioelectric signals to try to locate the sailor. He is glad that his senses are more fine-tuned to water than air but it isn't something as amazing as darkvision or x-ray vision. Of course those aren't exactly natural for a shark in the first place so having such powers are just not meant to be for Sharkguard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Sharkguard's Super-Senses (Accurate: Smell; Acute: Taste; Danger Sense: Smell; Tracing 2: Bioelectric Signals) to try and find the sailor that fell in. And just to be on the safe side, a Notice check: (1d20+4)[22]
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-03-11 at 09:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388

After some frantic searching, Sharkguard spots the sailor slowly sinking through the waves. It's easy to pull him back to the surface, but he's not breathing when you get him there.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #389

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard's senses help him nicely in the depths, but it doesn't keep him from calming down when he finds the sailor's body. He quickly pulls the sailor back to the surface, but when he notices a lack of breathing, the shark-man hurries his way back to the harbor with the sailor gripped firmly in his arm. In such a panic, Sharkguard hurries himself and makes a focused look as he makes a bit of a watery mess, splashing water with his arm and legs while trying to move faster than he usually swims. He can't try and revive the sailor out at sea; a flat surface and land is what will be needed and every second saps the chances of saving the sailor's life.

The act of Sharkguard constantly trying to push himself like this is more tiring than swimming normally usually is but at risk of someone dying, Sharkguard always favors putting himself at greater danger. That way he doesn't put more risk on the weaker civilians who are also involved. This way of action may likely bite the shark-man back one day, however the confidence he puts in his physical capabilities and the lengths he'll use them hasn't come to consequence him yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will use Extra Effort for an extra 2 ranks in Swimming to get to Sharkguard and the sailor to the harbor (since Sharkguard is already fatigued, I will use an HP to avoid being exhausted)
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-03-14 at 02:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390

Sharkguard's frenzied swimming carries him and the sailor swiftly across the harbor. The actual built up inner harbor, back where Alyssa is waiting, is still some distance away, but help would likely come quickly once you got there. There are several spots closer by where the sharkman could get the sailor out of the water. A couple of rather jagged rock outcroppings, well-known navigational hazards to local sailors, and a sandbar partially exposed by low tide a little further on.

Spoiler
    Show