New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Different Outsiders have different reasons:
    Angels dislike not having to keep their mouths quiet about the Kylanth with the priests.
    Devil's are forced to limit themselves when discussing Kylanth ruins with mortals who wish to know more, reducing the amount of potential "services"
    Demons believe that they are harder to find, and thus harder to cut into tiny pieces.
    Elementals loathe the idea of the Kylanth manipulating their existance, but cannot gain revenge.
    Neat.

I know. But insectiod subtype is used in several of my races (Such as the Kephra and Ranx), as is the Insect Anatomy. And they are Prerequistes for some Feats I have planned. Thus it is simpler to give them the same Subtype and grant them the Insect Anatomy trait.
    May I suggest simply renaming the subtype and trait? I'm just curious if the naming has to be so "on the nose".

I was recently told that all my races were amazingly overpowered, so I made sure to hold back. To fix its underpoweredness, I've added in details about the Multi-Armed.
    Not knowing your other races, I can't comment, but that does seem like enough "oomph" to kick this race up to being an attractive playing choice now.

That came from the Elf Monk Favoured Class option. I used Pazio's wording.
    Huh, so it does. That's just really weird honestly, but oh well, not that big a deal.

Thanks.
    You're welcome.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    May I suggest simply renaming the subtype and trait? I'm just curious if the naming has to be so "on the nose".
    What would I change it to? Athropod doesn't sound right, and it is too scientific for medieval knowledge.

Not knowing your other races, I can't comment, but that does seem like enough "oomph" to kick this race up to being an attractive playing choice now.
    Really, its worth 8 RP by the Race Builder and allows Kylanth to use four bastard swords at once....
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

What would I change it to? Athropod doesn't sound right, and it is too scientific for medieval knowledge.
    Something airy, purple prosy and/or mysterious? You don't need to use real nomenclature for fantasy.

Really, its worth 8 RP by the Race Builder and allows Kylanth to use four bastard swords at once....
    How do you get 4? They have 4 usable hands for weaponry, which should mean 2 two-handed weapons.

4. - Top - End - #454

Something airy, purple prosy and/or mysterious? You don't need to use real nomenclature for fantasy.
    THINGY SUBTYPE!
    Yeah....
    I'll try and think of something else...

How do you get 4? They have 4 usable hands for weaponry, which should mean 2 two-handed weapons.
    If you have proficiency with Bastard Swords you can wield each in one hand.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-09-03 at 09:36 PM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Now time for a run-down on the Kithkin!

Physical Description
    • I think you meant "a growing" not "an growing".
    • I think you meant "from the kith religion" not "form the kith religion".
    • I think you meant "baed" not "bead".
    • Under Halling, I think you meant "feet" not "feel".

Society
    • I think you meant "wagons" not "waggons".
    • I think you meant "perform" not "preform".

Alignment and Religion
    • I think you meant "malicious" instead of "malaceous".

That's all the grammar bits I noticed.

• What is a bardaknur?
    • There is no Athletics skill in Pathfinder, I think you meant Acrobatics.
    • While I think the mechanics for their base racial traits are pretty balanced, I have to say that some of their Alternate traits are pretty overpowered.
    • Dark Insight seems to be really unbalanced as a class feature. That's a +100 bonus at level 20.
    • Is the Spirit Guide an Ethereal creature?
    • Most of the Shaman's class features lack tags identifying what kind of ability they are.
    • Prerequisites concerning skills usually is worded as "X ranks in Y skill".
    • Fade to Black seems a little overpowered for a 1st level spell.
    • As a whole, I really like the Kithkin. They remind me of Space Halflings/Roma and I can see you put a lot of time and work into building and fleshing out this race.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Halfling in the Playground

Now time for a run-down on the Kithkin!

Physical Description
    • I think you meant "a growing" not "an growing".
    • I think you meant "from the kith religion" not "form the kith religion".
    • I think you meant "baed" not "bead".
    • Under Halling, I think you meant "feet" not "feel".

Society
    • I think you meant "wagons" not "waggons".
    • I think you meant "perform" not "preform".

Alignment and Religion
    • I think you meant "malicious" instead of "malaceous".
    Spelling fixed-like... you know, that's fewer errors than I normally see in the stories I file

I'm a bad journalist.

What is a bardaknur?
    A native cirund'il creature like a rhinoceros - no room to stat it out, so changed it.

There is no Athletics skill in Pathfinder, I think you meant Acrobatics.
    Dur... fixed

While I think the mechanics for their base racial traits are pretty balanced, I have to say that some of their Alternate traits are pretty overpowered.
    I made certain all the RPs balanced out... most of the ones which you're probably thinking are overpowered are from the Advanced Race Guide and are 2-3 RP.

Dark Insight seems to be really unbalanced as a class feature. That's a +100 bonus at level 20.
    I meant it to be +1... slip of the fingers. Gah!

Is the Spirit Guide an Ethereal creature?
    Its not a creature. It can't be attacked, targeted, banished or killed. It has no stats ;)

Most of the Shaman's class features lack tags identifying what kind of ability they are.
    Fixed.

Prerequisites concerning skills usually is worded as "X ranks in Y skill".
    I was using the way feats are laid out at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/, which saves a few words and characters ;)

Fade to Black seems a little overpowered for a 1st level spell.
    I think the short duration balances out... it provides a one shot hide in plane site and then you can stay in stealth for a few more rounds.

As a whole, I really like the Kithkin. They remind me of Space Halflings/Roma and I can see you put a lot of time and work into building and fleshing out this race.
    They were intended to be a space Gypsy/Jewish/Native American-style race and fit in with the other races pretty seamlessly - not sticking out like a sore thumb and all.
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
    I made certain all the RPs balanced out... most of the ones which you're probably thinking are overpowered are from the Advanced Race Guide and are 2-3 RP.
    I don't remember them having guide lines for giving a Constant 3rd level spell effect or the ability to cast a 5th level spell out of the gate. *goes to re-read*

I was using the way feats are laid out at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/, which saves a few words and characters ;)
    The link just goes to the PSRD, but I see now that you did it to save space.

I think the short duration balances out... it provides a one shot hide in plane site and then you can stay in stealth for a few more rounds.
    But is the +10 necessary? Why not +5?

8. - Top - End - #458

I don't remember them having guide lines for giving a Constant 3rd level spell effect or the ability to cast a 5th level spell out of the gate. *goes to re-read*
    Which ones are you talking about here? Mayhaps I could help

The link just goes to the PSRD, but I see now that you did it to save space.
    Try here then http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/feat-tree

But is the +10 necessary? Why not +5?
    I considered +5, but for the short duration, I thought that +10 worked well. It only allows one instant stealth, so I figured the two combined were worth 1st level.
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

Which ones are you talking about here? Mayhaps I could help
    • Clan Warden - Gets Nondetection, a third level spell, as a constant effect.
    • Dreamspeaker - Can use Dream, a fifth level spell, as a spell-like ability once per day.
    • Stoneseer - The most overpowered of the alt racial traits. It gets Nondetection like the Clan Warden but can also cast Stone Shape, a third or fourth level spell, and Stone Tell, a sixth level spell, as spell-like abilities once per day.

Mind you, only Nondection and maybe Stone Shape are really "good" spells to have, but the fact is that I can't think of a base race that gets racial access to such high level magics out of the gate.

Oh Pathfinder...why must you flip flop on the ordering of words?

I considered +5, but for the short duration, I thought that +10 worked well. It only allows one instant stealth, so I figured the two combined were worth 1st level.
    I wouldn't personally call 20 rounds a short duration, but since it is basically a weaker version of Invisibility, I can see the argument of it being balanced.

10. - Top - End - #460

• Clan Warden - Gets Nondetection, a third level spell, as a constant effect.
    • Dreamspeaker - Can use Dream, a fifth level spell, as a spell-like ability once per day.
    • Stoneseer - The most overpowered of the alt racial traits. It gets Nondetection like the Clan Warden but can also cast Stone Shape, a third or fourth level spell, and Stone Tell, a sixth level spell, as spell-like abilities once per day.
    From the Advanced Race Guide:

(pg 227) Dreamspeaker (2 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefit: Members of this race gain a +1 bonus to the saving throw DCs of spells of the divination school and spells that produce sleep effects that they cast. In addition, members of this race with a Charisma score of 15 or higher may use dream once per day as a spell-like ability (caster level is equal to the user’s character level).

(pg 228) Enclave Protector (2 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefit: Members of this race add +1 to the caster level of any abjuration spells they cast. Members of this race also gain the following spell-like abilities: constant—nondetection; 1/day—faerie fire, obscure object, sanctuary. The caster level for these effects is equal to the user’s character level.

(pg 230) Stoneseer (2 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefit: Members of this race add +1 to the caster level of any spells with the earth descriptor they cast. Members of this race also gain the following spell-like abilities: constant—nondetection; 1/day—magic stone, stone shape, stone tell. The caster level for these spell-like abilities is equal to the user’s character level.

I mostly included these to give the kithkin a nice, big amount of racial traits - I did create a number of my own there as well, you see However, I calculated out polyglot to be 2 RP, so it could be switched out with these traits easily.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

From the Advanced Race Guide:

(pg 227) Dreamspeaker (2 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefit: Members of this race gain a +1 bonus to the saving throw DCs of spells of the divination school and spells that produce sleep effects that they cast. In addition, members of this race with a Charisma score of 15 or higher may use dream once per day as a spell-like ability (caster level is equal to the user’s character level).

(pg 228) Enclave Protector (2 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefit: Members of this race add +1 to the caster level of any abjuration spells they cast. Members of this race also gain the following spell-like abilities: constant—nondetection; 1/day—faerie fire, obscure object, sanctuary. The caster level for these effects is equal to the user’s character level.

(pg 230) Stoneseer (2 RP): Prerequisites: None; Benefit: Members of this race add +1 to the caster level of any spells with the earth descriptor they cast. Members of this race also gain the following spell-like abilities: constant—nondetection; 1/day—magic stone, stone shape, stone tell. The caster level for these spell-like abilities is equal to the user’s character level.

I mostly included these to give the kithkin a nice, big amount of racial traits - I did create a number of my own there as well, you see However, I calculated out polyglot to be 2 RP, so it could be switched out with these traits easily.
    *face palm*

The lovely irony? Those traits are all around the "Spell-like ability, lesser" trait, which they don't abide by cost wise. I can see why folks can call this book useless to use or at least a headache to balance.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I finally finished it! Sorry for last minute finishing Troll Brau, got family in the hospital and I've been busy xwx

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

My bunnies are complete! =D

And sorry about putting all 20 levels on the archetype table, but they get the good Reflex save which affects every level. And I had kinda forgotten which levels gained or lost something, since the archetype has some pretty big changes...

14. - Top - End - #464

*face palm*

The lovely irony? Those traits are all around the "Spell-like ability, lesser" trait, which they don't abide by cost wise. I can see why folks can call this book useless to use or at least a headache to balance.
    Haha, no worries. I've edited the two to take out the offending spells - I don't want to be down voted just because of Paizo's own poor balance

I left dreamspeaker as it was, because dream I don't think can be a game breaker, but for the other two, I removed permanent non-detection (doesn't seem very syth-y anyways) and re-worked some of the spells so there's two level ones and one level two, and none of the spells are really game breakers.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I will actually try to put something into the Grab Bag this time around for Saturday Morning Nostalgia, with an entry for the 1994-1996 Iron Man series on the Marvel Action hour.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Haha, no worries. I've edited the two to take out the offending spells - I don't want to be down voted just because of Paizo's own poor balance

I left dreamspeaker as it was, because dream I don't think can be a game breaker, but for the other two, I removed permanent non-detection (doesn't seem very syth-y anyways) and re-worked some of the spells so there's two level ones and one level two, and none of the spells are really game breakers.
    Well, I don't think anyone aside from me would honestly notice or care, especially since Paizo did print them that way. I guess I'm just picky that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpwolf16 View Post
    I finally finished it! Sorry for last minute finishing Troll Brau, got family in the hospital and I've been busy xwx
    Just a quick glance over (will give a run-down if I get a chance) and I see you're one Favored Class option short of a complete entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    My bunnies are complete! =D

And sorry about putting all 20 levels on the archetype table, but they get the good Reflex save which affects every level. And I had kinda forgotten which levels gained or lost something, since the archetype has some pretty big changes...
    And I can't wait to read them over!

I'll point out anything I notice and try to remind you what would most likely be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I think I will actually try to put something into the Grab Bag this time around for Saturday Morning Nostalgia, with an entry for the 1994-1996 Iron Man series on the Marvel Action hour.

-X
    First Realms, then Witch-King and now ErrantX? Man, we really are getting some attention!

And that's exactly what I love about this month's theme; if you missed the superhero contest you can still make one since all the best DC/Marvel cartoons aired during the 90's.

@Everyone:

With today being the last day of the contest, I want to give you all a heads up on how the voting will work.

You will get 4 votes, one for first through third place and one for Most Likely to See Play. The first to third place votes will be valued as follows:

• 1st - 9 points
    • 2nd - 3 points
    • 3rd - 1 point

This ensures that you need 4 of a lesser vote to overcome a higher ranked vote. I personally feels this adds more balance to the end scores; someone who got a majority of the first place votes getting passed over by the entry that got everyone's second place vote just doesn't sit right with me.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, crashed last night so I didn't get things done as neatly as I'd have liked.

Anyways, everything is up to date now and the voting thread is open!

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

I decided to drop the value of 1st place votes by 2 points after some preliminarily math showed that the balance I wanted would still be doable for 3:1 instead of 4:1.

So please do vote everyone!

Edit:

Also, if anyone ever has any issue with how I run and present this contest, please do voice your opinions to me by shooting me a PM about it. I'd rather be informed about any discontent instead of sitting here, month after month, assuming everything is sunshine and sprinkles.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-09-09 at 04:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Talking about sunshine and sprinkles, a braver woman-or-man than I should do My Little Pony.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Talking about sunshine and sprinkles, a braver woman-or-man than I should do My Little Pony.
    Have at it! But I wonder how many folks are even familiar with My Little Pony Tales with how popular Friendship is Magic is.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Have at it! But I wonder how many folks are even familiar with My Little Pony Tales with how popular Friendship is Magic is.
    Discord is best Drama! :3...sorry I just love me some Discord and disharmony!

Though looking at the 90's cartoons I forsee a transformer themed submission would... be difficult at best. So now my mind goes back to my youth of marvel cartoons...still need to think of a submission.

22. - Top - End - #472

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Since its recent it wouldn't be allowed and would be disqualified.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Since its recent it wouldn't be allowed and would be disqualified.
    Pretty sure Morph was talking about the earlier versions of My Little Pony, not Friendship Is Magic.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474

Pretty sure Morph was talking about the earlier versions of My Little Pony, not Friendship Is Magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh...
    Sorry about that, I'm not versed when it comes to My Little Pony. And I hopefully never will be.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed. In fact, I believe there were two different My Little Pony series in the 90s.

Still, my favourite ones were mostly anime (DBZ, Pokemon, Digimon, Samurai Pizza Cats), but when talking specifically non-anime cartoons, it came down to Courage The Cowardly Dog and Johnny Bravo.

Granted, Courage first scared the heck outta me, but I came to like it later on. The other Cartoon Network series (Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, Powerpuff Girls, EdEdd'n'Eddy, Dexter's Lab, etc), didn't appeal to me as much, though I came to like the PPG and Dexter later on, but mainly some of the characters rather than the premise of the show.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

I never said anime wasn't included in this contest you know.

My exact words were: "around any animated television show that aired between the years of 1990 and 1999."

Anime falls under this category.

Oh, and to any one who hasn't voted yet...please vote!

27. - Top - End - #477
    Orc in the Playground

o.O

Mr. Bumpy... your time has come! Quickly! Round up Squishington and Miss Molly Cuddle! We have plotting to do... heh heh heh... hahahaha! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

O.O

This topic. I think I might give this one a go. Rugrats with highly illusion capable children, or Ah! real monsters with...well...the monsters...Or Stating out duck people from duck tails...(Or darkwing duck > . >).

Or I could go crazy and do Captain Planet. Oh man. Ohhhh that could be cool.

If it weren't too hard, the magic school bus might also be fun. Soooo many ideas...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    O.O

This topic. I think I might give this one a go. Rugrats with highly illusion capable children, or Ah! real monsters with...well...the monsters...Or Stating out duck people from duck tails...(Or darkwing duck > . >).

Or I could go crazy and do Captain Planet. Oh man. Ohhhh that could be cool.

If it weren't too hard, the magic school bus might also be fun. Soooo many ideas...
    Well, you are the one who made me decide to do this theme, so go hog wild.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait....What? I did? When was this!?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Oh man. How great would it be if there was a contest for homebrewing cartoon feats or classes, races, mechanics, so on. I'd homebrew Dexter's class, hands down. Stewie, Mandark, Dexter, and others would fall into his class.
    Holy crap I did! I'm glad I found this before later in the month! I wish I had known sooner! I think I won't be doing Dexter, however. Hahaha.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-09-13 at 01:40 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)