New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Lords of Life and Death

Spoiler
    Show
    Umm you actually only lost Malain in the attack.

Man: Oh I apologize I should have introduced by self first. I am Father George 3rd Cardinal of the Last Order of Constance. Although I am glad to see more living survivors that is not what I came here to investigate. I had come southward due to tales of undead auxiliary forces animated due to devotion and virtue rather than fear and vice.

As for Ms Ashley I believe she is at the southern harbor. A ship of some importance arrived earlier today and they have been preoccupied with it for some time.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Siggeir merely watched as the people were interacting. He turned to Joan as soon as Father George stopped speaking and he asked "What are we planning on doing?"
    Extended Hombrew Signature

3. - Top - End - #63

Flumph

Anthony

As the battle ends Anthony slips back into his normal form, his terrifying shape reverting to that of a young child. He runs up to Istid and once again grabs her hand.
    "Istid! Did they hurt you?" And even though his face is hidden behind the crystal mask there's no doubt that he is worried about her.
    The rest of the journey to Landsen he walks silent besides the fey. As they reach the town he looks around, and feels a sting of loss and sadness. The crowds of refugees, the sick and lonely and the few trying to help. It all reminds him of the disaster that followed.
    "Why do they do like this? It's only easier to find people in large groups. When you are tiny it's easier to hide..."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Les confused as he enters Landsend seeing big walls around the town he expected a roof to cover it like a house, but he had not expected many smaller houses inside the port. He sees many other oddities like cobbled roads and the market stalls which he believes to be a abnormally small houses. Les follows Joan as she seemed to be going somewhere intentionally, and now Les is further confused when we arrive at a large building labeled Doris's fish house (hope you don't mind my name) with sick travelers inside. "Why would they name it that I see know fish." he thinks to him self. As soon as anyone else in the party seems to have a moment to spare Les asks "Hey there _____ how about we get ourselves a somethin' to drink from whichever one of these buildin's has ale. I rarely get to spend my coin things unless a merchant travels the road through my forest."
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-03-22 at 04:38 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Malain sits back, nursing his wounds and thinking. The New Dawn? That didn't sound good. Some sort of plan, probably world threatening. He hated stuff like that. Well, there was nothing he could do for now except try to sleep and build up his strength. He would try to find out as much as he could on the morrow. For now, rest.
    He wrapped his cloak around him, keeping a distance from the bird. Hopefully he would wake before it did. He had always been a light sleeper. Closing his eyes, he drifted off to sleep.
    All the while building his hatred stronger and stronger.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Joan nods at the man. "I apologize for the misunderstanding, Father George. It warms my ... It pleases me to see a priest of the Festering King again. You are doing the gods' work.

"To answer your question, however, there were others with me, and you can find them at the barracks more often than not. If you have not yet spoken with Simon, he spends his days with the clergy more often than not -- it seems much knowledge has been lost since these attacks began.

Here Joan pauses for a moment, looking the man up and down and judging him. She had much love for all the gods of the pantheon, and found that any revulsion the followers of the Festering King had instilled in her during life was gone now.

"I believe that there are more tombs, with more free undead like myself. What precisely is it you hope to learn about me and mine?" Joan leaves out mention of Caligulus for now.

When Siggeir speaks up, she turns to address the adventurers gathered around her. "I intend on meeting with Ms Ashley, the leader of this settlement. I have reported to her in the past, and must see if there is anything that has come up that requires my attention. Any of you that wish to accompany me may do so. I do request that we meet in six hours' time at the gates; the roads will need clearing and there will be much more to do before the Long Night. Please, you have all shown yourselves to be strong men and women -- and children -- I could certainly use your help in preparing the town for the trying times ahead.."
    Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2012-03-23 at 03:55 AM.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

7. - Top - End - #67

"I shall accompany you." Siggeir said calmly, looking at Joan. He walked up to her and held his hand out towards the road "Shall we?"

8. - Top - End - #68

Les follows along as with the party to meet Ms Ashley, but then darts around a corner to go to the bathroom. There are no outhouses in Les's woods so he has no idea were to go do his buisiness. He is back with the party before long though, and is thinking of things to ask this Ms.Ashley she seems like she would know how to behave in a town.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Istid hugs Anthony, keeping him close. Him being a child, the size mismatch is not pronounced enough to bother her.

"I'll be at the gate for you," Istid pipes up at Joan's request. "But you that Ashley lady on your own. I guess I'll follow Les. He might walk into something awful." She shrugs and chuckles. "Come on, Anthony!" She strolls off in a random direction into the city. "Let me know if you spot him!"

Of course, she didn't notice Les following Joan at all.

10. - Top - End - #70

Les disappointed that nobody wanted to go and have a drink he will poke his head through windows looking for bottles or kegs and if he sees some mead he barge in and ask for it handing the owner a bag of mostly copper pieces, a few silver, some berries or leaves, and a rock. Then he will run back up to his companions. Les also remembers to restock the rocks for his sling and tries to pick up part of the cobbled street "Why won't you budge!"
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-03-23 at 11:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am assuming that Anthony would follow Istid, if this is out of line just tell me and I can modify it.

Also I will be occasionally using alternate titles for some of the deities. So chances are if two names sound the same chances are they are the same guy, unless they are explicitly stated to be seperate. So the Festering King, the Plague Martyr, and the Suffering Lord are all the same guy.

Les finding what he is seeking in a tavern whose sign simply reads "Moe's". After being tossed some coinage the bartender looks it over and produces a large bodied bottle with a shark fin on the label.

Moe: There's wine made from sea grapes, but for a full bottle that'd cost you a gold piece. For this much In can give you hàkarl spirits, never is short supply of that with all the fishing we have. Word of warning though plug your nose the first time you drink it, its got an odor that could kill a horse.

He is shortly there after able to join back with Joan and Siggeir with little trouble as they are not moving particularly quickly.
    ----------

While wandering through the town Istid and Anthony find themselves near the waste water conduit, leading out into the ocean down current from the primary fishing bay, through and underground tunnel. Emerging from the tunnel is a man dressed in the satin coat of a Satum noble, but saturated by the blood running out its sleeves from some point underneath. Whatever face he has is obscured by the long uncut hair or a barbarian. He holds on leashes two smaller humanoid creatures, hunched over like beasts and naked save for executioner hoods that cover their heads.

Noble: There was once a forest owned by a great King.
    And the King gave one homestead in this woods to each of his servants; to each so that he would work the land and multiply; and straightway to to journey.
    The servant who had received the first homestead went and lived in it, and made four worths sons.
    And likewise each servant after the first, gained worthy sons.
    But he that had received a house deep in the woods far from the King's sight produced three prideful sons.
    After a long time the King of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
    And so he that had received the first household came and brought his four sons saying, King, thou deliveredst unto me a household: behold, I have gained beside it four sons.
    His King said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy King.
    Likewise those who also that had received homesteads came and said, King, thou deliveredst unto us households: behold, we have gained sons beside them.
    His lord said unto them, Well done, good and faithful servants; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee rulers over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy King.
    Then he which had received the deep homestead came and said, King, thou deliveredst unto me a household: behold, I have gained beside it three sons.
    The three sons however scorned their King and rebuked him saying, we are kings of our own domain, you art a wicked man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
    And we shall have the homestead what is ours.
    Their King answered and said unto them, Thou wicked and slothful servant: Thou oughtest have raised livestock instead of sons for at least then I might feast.
    The King took therefore his hounds, and soldiers, and his poisons, and smote those prideful sons.
    He then said to the servant of the deep household, I will leave for another journey, take therefore the household I have given you and produce worthies sons or beasts for slaughter.

As he recounts this verse the noble fades from view into the shadows of the conduit until he disappears, his houndmen with him.
    -----------

On the way to Ms Ashley Father George continues to speak with Joan.

Father George: My order is made up of those who priests who still remain who refused the deathlords offer of immortality on the earthly realm. He are few and mostly limited to followers of my patron, the Plague Matyr, for one cannot suffer for the sake of others if they are incapable of feeling pain, and disciples of your own Wrapped King, for he believes that judging a man of his sins on earth violates their right to prove their worth.

The Red Man's followers have been forcibly converting the common folk and treating them needing in judgment as though they were already dead. Now with the deities of the living silent our patrons are the only ones left to defend souls from his claim to the right to punish them. What's more the Horned Hunter no long patrons the boarder between the underworld and ours in search of lost or escaped souls, but instead tracks those who still live but who have escaped the cities of the dead.

I was hoping that with the help of the auxiliaries we would be able to at least free the living who are held captive in the deathlords' cities. I know where they are being detained, but do not possess the physical might to take them by myself.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Joan considers this. The Red Man was always a cruel deity, and she could understand this change -- but the Horned Hunter? Times were grim indeed.

"If that is the case, then I have a lead on the remaining auxiliaries. I recall several tombs up to the north -- though I am unsure if they have been opened by now or not. I believe that there are others forming a resistance group in the mountainous ruins of the giant civilization as well. When we move out, perhaps we can make contact with Caligulus, their leader, and entreat his aid."

13. - Top - End - #73

Siggeir watches as Les returns with a bottle of ale. Cheap he thought. He put is handed in his pocket and took out 100 gold coins. He handed them over to Les and said jokingly "Would you mind buying something proper the next time we have the chance?".

He saw Father George talking about the deathlords and thought about his own vampirism. He looked at Joan and whispered softly "He probably shouldn't find out about your massive amount of being dead."

14. - Top - End - #74

"Thanks Moe" Les sais as he leaves and happily unquarks his bottle. Siggeir however could probably smell the infamous aroma of this beverage a mile away, and so Les acknowledges his companions request to upgrade to a finer brew, and ties the new coin purse to his belt.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Joan bristles at Siggeir's comment, perhaps taking him too seriously. "I gave my life for the protection of the people of Constance. The gulf between myself and those who pervert the true will of the Pantheon could not be larger. I trust that the good Father understands this, but do you?"

16. - Top - End - #76

"I understand what you are saying. I'm having trouble understanding you though. But no matter, let's get on with business."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well, then." Joan says, mulligied but mystified. She continues on to Ms Ashley, thinking of possible routes that would allow her to reach all objectives in one outing. She'd need to look at a map...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Istid watched the...cultist?...speak verses. She approached him as he retreated, concerned about the two people he held onto as if they were slaves. After the end of his verse, she sped up.

"...Wait! Wait!" the nixie spoke up as she ran, but tripped over a stray rock she was unaware of and vaulted facefirst into the cobblestone. Undeterred, she stood up again and wiped the dirt from her face. "Bleh."

She stared into the tunnel, considering whether to chase after the three. The water here looked polluted, and she didn't know whether to appreciate the mere presence of something to possibly swim in, or to be revolted.

19. - Top - End - #79

Takes a deep swig of hàkarl spirits "I can go get you *hic* a map... Joan. *hic*"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (to avoid anarchism the barrel is merely a fire proofed wooden barrel rather than a metal one)

Istid's investigations do not find the Noble but they do find something within the tunnel, a secret alcove.Within 50 feet of the tunnel's entrance there is a bend obscured from the outside, within is a small living space consisting of a bed of dirty blankets, a crate turned into a makeshift table, and a barrel fire for light. Standing in the room's center is a man wearing the same sort of hood as the houndmen, but who is standing up straight. Besides the hood his cloths are a ratty mess that one would expect from a sewer dwelling hermit, save for the necklace of human teeth around his neck. As soon as he sees the pair of party members draw near he begins to speak, and the slurring makes it clear that the teeth are his own.

Hermit: Yes, yes! The Guide said you would be here on your trip. You will stop the dead ones and the live ones and prove that we are the worthy sons! Thank you for protecting the son of the King winged one. Even though you are not beholden to his service you perform his work. *he then turns to face Anthony* Prince, you must go north follow the Guide to the north. You must awaken the Angels beneath the mountains an show the King that we stand with him against the dragons and the dead.
    -------------------
    The rest of the party reaches the bay where Ms Ashley waits with a small group of guards and Joan's spiritual advisor and retainer Simon Monnic. The mayor is currently busy speaking to one of the guards who looks very tired, so Simon approaches the group.

Simon: Milady, are these new companions the capable warriors we were hoping for, and more importantly are they trustworthy enough to share the latest reconnaissance report with?
    -------------------
    Malain awakes shortly before his draconic companion does. The slowing in its snoring before waking up, alerting the assassin that it was time for more activity.

Roc: Brother we must set out to find the as many other family members as we can. You still have keen eyes, and my hearing fails me within magma mountains. Would you be my eyes to find the others so that we won't be later to the New Dawn.
    Last edited by nyarlathotep; 2012-03-25 at 08:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

"Simon, it is good to see you again. Yes, when the caravan was attacked by a roc and terror birds, these two were very helpful -- a pair of others left to explore the town, and will meet up with us later. I'd like to introduce you to Siggeir, the tactician and Lester, the Druid. Father George has traveled here to looking for citizens of Constance like us, Simon.

"You three, this is Bishop Simon Monnic, my closest advisor and friend. Ms Ashley looks busy at the moment, behind him.

"Now that introductions are over, what have you found, Simon?"

22. - Top - End - #82

"Pleasure ta' meet ya Simon. *hic*" It dawns on Les that it probably was a bad idea to get drunk before visiting important people.

23. - Top - End - #83

"Afternoon. And concerning your question of us being trustworthy; I'd have to say that depends on whether you are." Siggeir said, staring deep into the man's eyes.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Malain watched warily as the dragonspawn awoke. He remained still as it clambered slowly to it's feet, stretching out it's massive wings in the cool morning air. A shudder of revulsion went through him as he gazed upon this perversion of nature, for the first time getting a good look at it. His mouth filled with spittle, and he had to look away and breath deeply to avoid vomiting. He was just as bad as this thing, wasn't he? Just a twisted parody of a real man.
    He shook off his disgust as the monster spoke, asking him to serve as it's eyes. And there was that New Dawn thing again. It filled Malain's heart with foreboding, for whatever it was it couldn't be good for humanity.
    He blinked his watery eyes, the wind making them sting. Although not nearly as keen as before his transformation, he still had excellent vision. The better to see how twisted this world has become. He stands up, pain shooting through his joints as he does so. Flexing his hands, he flips his knife in a circle, practicing a few parries and jabs. The poison still stiffened his every movement, but it was getting better.
    "I will be your eyes, and seek out our brethren. The New Dawn awaits. Let us go." He steps forward into the beast's talons, preparing for his journey into darkness.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I probably should have described Simon a bit more. The basic idea is that he is dressed in robes like an Anglican minister, that were once very colorful but are now faded and dull. Additionally his face is obscured by a shroud and large blue spectacles.

As Siggeir leans in close he is able to see past the bishop's tinted spectacles into eyes that are withered husks illuminated by a dull blue glow.

Simon: I proved my loyalty when I first gave up my rightful place in the afterlife to accompany the Lady Joan in defending the next generation.

After his verbal rebuke the tomb priest pulls away from the vampire and turns to speak better to the entire group.

Simon: A badly damaged ironclad broke through the endless storm. All but one of the passengers were dead. The only survivor was a badly savaged man who touched one of the guards investigating and immediately morphed into a perfect copy of him sending the original into a coma. Unfortunately the copy seems to be utterly convinced that he is the original and has been suffering an emotional breakdown now that we have showed him the original.

Now the other guards have refused to investigate the ship further. Additionally they are trying to figure out what to do with the shapeshifter.

---------
    Malain's dragonspawn companion stretches its wings, breaking newly grown scales that constrict its articulation. They clearly cause him pain and agony from the puss and blood at their base where it digs into the beast's skin. After struggling against the air for what feels like an eternity but it likely only seconds the roc is able to lift itself and its passenger into the air.

They sweep off to the north using any updrafts possible and sailing into the unknown, the north that has been devoured by dragonkind.

26. - Top - End - #86

Les takes another swig from an almost empty bottle of spirits and seems to only be standing with support from his walking stick. "Did ya put da guy in a field of *hic* of dat anti-magic spell to stop the shapey shiftin'."
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-03-27 at 01:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Simon: That was my first choice. When we did that his form remained the same, but he lost any ability to move or speak.

28. - Top - End - #88

"Well in dat case maybe is own kind knows how t' fix em' ya can raise one o' his buds if I can get em' out o' de' shipy ting."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, that is a good plan. I doubt I can be rendered comatose by any means that would also work on a living creature, News that something made it through the storm is very good indeed; it means there is a way." Joan realizes why Ms. Ashley looks so tired and concerned, now. It was a good idea to come here first, then. She nods to herself.

30. - Top - End - #90

"Well let's get a goin'. *hic*" Les hobbles off in a direction not knowing if it is the right way, but trying not to move as fast while this intoxicated.