1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default For Even in Death (IC)

“And starward drifts the stricken world,
    Lone in unalterable gloom
    Dead, with a universe for tomb,
    Dark, and to vaster darkness whirled."
    -Unnamed Prophet

For darkness is your companion, and shadow your friend. Drifting amongst the clouds of slumber, you awaken to find yourselves to be in the company of strangers. The ground is flat and cold; the air is foul, marred by the stench of death. Though you look to the skies you find nothing, all but void stares down on you, unblinking in its all encompassing gaze. Soon you come to realize that the floor you rest upon is but a stone slab, circular in shape and set apart from the white gravel that stretches across the expanse of the bleak landscape about you. The horizon is limitless before you, though one feature does catch your eye. A gleaming tower stands alone before you; its height so immense, that one may be able to reach the gods themselves. Opposite of such is something utterly disturbing; a precipice, a maw leading to further darkness, a drop through into the pits of hell itself. You hear something, almost a soft clatter though perhaps it could be described as bone striking rock. You know not of its location but it seems to be inching ever so closer.
    None remember their whereabouts, their intentions, and their purpose here. All you feel is the shadows, the darkness breathing down your neck. For darkness breaks the will of all who dare oppose it.

Last edited by Ballista; 2012-08-20 at 09:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: For Even in Death (IC)

"Althia?! Where are you?" Adoven called out franticlly. The hill of a man stood slowly and drew his sword.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Alyssa opens her eyes and sees darkness. She closes her eyes and sees darkness. This fact provides amusement for her for a short while. Then she hears someone shouting. First thought was, that she should do the same... maybe it is some kind custom here...
    "Cheese?! Where are you?"

But then she hears the sound of armored man rising and drawing weapon... she knows this sound... and it rarely was a good sign.
    She stands up quickly, turns to the man with the sword. She stretches right hand in protective gesture in front of her and holds Cheese (hamster) in her left.

"I am not Althia. Stab someone else."

She points at the precipice, still keeping her eyes on swordsman.

"I am sure there are a lot of Althias, there. If you want to stab something I am sure you would find it there!"

She sounds a little panicked.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's a bit dark, isn't it? ... That won't do." Engald pulls a torch out of his backpack, before removing a cloth from the top, revealing it to already be lit. "Much better." With the area around him lit, he looks around, seeing who, or what, is here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pulled out an Everburning Torch.
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-08-22 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Forgot what color I was using.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Adoven stands there, geniuinely confused."Lots of.... what?" he stammers. "Just stay back, and I won't stab anyone." as the light from Engalds torch illuminates the area, it becomes obvious that his gray eyes are franticlly searching the shadows.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Engald-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Besides yourself, their are four others near you, a woman of obvious draconic lineage, another female whose radiance seems to blossom from her body, a man of an obvious martial background stands ready with a massive sword in hand and lastly a nearly angelic figure, a man with huge wings sprouting from his back. You take your eyes off the rest of the group and you look around to find a completely barren landscape. The surface is white and appears powdery; larger pieces jut out of the land quite sporadically.

You all are positioned on a huge circular stone slab, at least 30 feet in diameter. Faint etchings seem to circle around the strange construct, spiraling towards the middle and ending a small indent at the center.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well no sense just standing here." He turns to face the others. "Hello, who are you fellows?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"It is rude to ask about name without saying yours first!"
    Says Alyssa, still looking warily at the swordsman.
    "So who are you?!?"

Slight confusion crosses her face and she adds in much calmer tone:

"Aww, I asked without giving my name too... I am Alyssa and this is Cheese... she says showing the hamster ... now, who are you... you... people?"

She looks around with suspicion in her eyes muttering quietly...
    "One with sword and crazy look in his eyes... and I know crazy when I see it... the second is keeping a lit torch in his bag... Am I in Asylum again? ... If yes then where is my lunch?..."

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, very true. My name is Engald." he replies, ignoring the man's muttering.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Fond memories of her home coloring her dreams, Althia is finally awakened through the conversations of those nearby. Despite the presence of several strangers, the alien environment caught her attention and focus.

Dusting herself off from her position on the floor, Althia walks over to the other people gathered nearby chatting. As she walks, her eyes flutter about the 'scape, hoping to gain further clarity. "Pardon me for interrupting," she politely asks once she gets closer "but is everyone doing okay? If so, do any of you know what happened while... I guess while I was asleep? I remember leaving for a trip with my body guard, but the details after remain foggy..."

While making her request, and waiting for a response, she tries to think, to recall what happened before she fell asleep, and as to where they were.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to take 20 on a Spot Check for a total of 24. Same for a Listen Check. And a 26 on a Search Check. If not then open this spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+4)[23]
    Listen:(1d20+4)[18]
    Search:(1d20+6)[25]

I'd also like to take 10 (since we can't take 20, as far as I know, on Knowledge Checks) on Knowledge Arcana (for a 19), History (for an 18), and Religion (for a 22). If not...

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge-Arcana: (1d20+9)[17]
    Knowledge-History: (1d20+8)[21]
    Knowledge-Religion: (1d20+12)[14]

And I have to roll these last ones...

Knowledge-Geography: (1d20+6)[12]
    Knowledge-The Plains: (1d20+6)[18]
    Knowledge-Architecture: (1d20+6)[16]
    Lore: (1d20+11)[24]

Should these rolls be decent, that should be more than enough to be able to provide a bit of exposition about the platform we're on, and the area in general, if at all possible.

Come on, Lady Luck!

On Average, Lady Luck was very kind to me. Also, if you would allow for it, +2 can be added to the results of Geography, the Plains, Arcana, Religion, and History. Miss Bookworm has several different texts that are good for learning and figuring out things.

I'm guessing we're all completely distracted from whatever thing is approaching us.
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-08-26 at 04:12 AM.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Engald turns to face she who has just arisen. Sadly, I couldn't tell you how we got here... I'm Engald, who are you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    2 can play at knowledge checks (just use what might be useful):
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+13)[26]+1
    Knowledge (Local) (1d20+13)[24]+1
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+13)[31]+1
    Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+13)[25]+1
    Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (1d20+13)[22]+1
    Knowledge (The Planes) (1d20+13)[14]+1

EDIT: Those should be one higher. I forgot to include my Headband of Int +2
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-08-26 at 08:32 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Alyssa looks at the other girl, although she looks like she is really focused on something else...
    "What happened when you were asleep?
    First the stabby man here...
    ... pointing at Adoven ...
    ... stood up, shouting Althia... or Alkhia... something like that... anyway he shouted that and started waving with his sword, so I guess it would be better to stay away from him, unless you want to be stabbed...

Then this one... Engald... took a burning torch out of his bag, and asked about our names. He was rude. But he isn't now."

*Slight pause*
    "I am Alyssa and this is Cheese, by the way!"

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge?
    I will settle for one roll...
    Knowledge [all] (1d20+9)[28]

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Althia-
    Spoiler
    Show
    The landscape is barren, but that is plain to see. You had originally thought of the ground to be made of fine, white sand, but upon closer inspection you find it to be bonemeal, finely crushed and powdered. Occasional outcroppings dot across the dark horizon, taking she shape of massive bone shards and skeletal remains.

The Massive stone slab you rest upon appears seamless and smooth. Small indents are present along its perimeter, spiraling inward to the small gaping hole at it's center. As you bring yourself closer to these markings, you notice a faint trace of light emitting from them. They beckon you, reaching out to you and whispering incoherence into your mind.

The silence is broken by intermittent crashes and clatterings, the cacophony lasts for a split second before the unnerving silence returns. Each time the sound reverberates, the louder it appears. There is something out there...

Everyone-
    This is quite obvious, you are no longer amongst the material plane, the skies are not dotted with the stars of the night sky, nor is the moon's everpresent glow lighting the void. No, you are somewhere far alien to you; the realm of Nerull, the Plane of Negative Energy.

Alyssa-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah the Plane of Negative Energy, a gaping void eager to drain the life all who dare enter without invitation. It is odd that it's lingering hunger has yet to claim your soul.

Althia-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: Stories of planar travelers often warn of the dangers of this Plane. They talk of horrific creatures trapped in the accursed void, those who have in life committed atrocities that far exceed the limits of Hell and the Abyss. This place should be grasping at your living soul, but instead you remain strong.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

As Althia appears, Adoven visiblly relaxes. He puts away his sword and walks over to Althia. He looks her over for damage or injury, and once satisfied that she is ok, says "Sorry about that, I was a bit worried." turning to Alyssa he adds "I promise I won't stab anyone right now. My name is Adoven."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Alyssa looks at Adoven with suspicion in her eyes
    "No stabbing?"

... and there it goes, she forgot about the 'stabbing case' and focused on something else:
    "We are in a dark place... she starts with a storytellers voice ...let's check what's in the tower!" she ends in a childish one, with a wide smile on her face...

... 0,01 second later:
    "Please!"
    Spoiler
    Show

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I suppose this isn't the best situation to be in..." Althia sighs.

The priestess turns her attention to those gathered, and bows before them. "I hope your experience with ‘the stabby man' has not been unpleasant. He should not harm you." she begins, throwing a smirk toward Adoven as she speaks. "It's very nice to meet you, Engald, Alyssa... Cheese." she continues, nodding toward each, with a hint of bemusement in her voice while addressing the pet. "Adoven was actually referencing me. I am Miss Althia, Daughter of Alexander, kin of Rosegood, and Priestess of Pelor. Though friends may simply use Althia."

As she continues to chat, Althia turns to look out at the environment. "I can't think of any reason for this gathering, both of us and in this location. This ground is not earth, made of the same material as the corpses that decorate this dark place. May Pelor protect us on this realm, and may we not anger Nerull." she remarks, eyes closed and both hands pressing a piece of jewelry to her chest.

Once finished, she focuses on the slab they rest upon. "There have been many terrible stories of those who end up on this Plane. This environment normally tears at the spirits of mortals who dwell upon it, yet we remain safe. Whatever force did bring us here, I believe it was an act of kindness that we were summoned to this spot." she comments, tracing the symbols near her with her footwear.

"Hopefully this is not the only hospitable location in this world... there is much to learn, and much to do. We should start moving if we wish to return to our homes safely, especially since this haven might not remain safe for much longer." she comments on the sound of whatever unearthly horror was moving about the realm of darkness.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Walls of Text tend to occur when lots of responses are deserved.

I wonder if we can point out which dirrection the sound is coming from...
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-08-28 at 10:59 PM.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Adoven looks out into the darkness towards where the sound is coming from. "I don't like the sound of that."

Spoiler
    Show
    forgot I had 18 Int and a couple knowledge skills
    Spot (1d20+10)[25]
    Know (planes) (1d20+13)[28]

The knowledge is to see what kind of monsters are native to the negative energy plane that might be coming towards us.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, a priestess, you say. Well then, this task should be much easier than I thought." Engald says, his eyes lighting up. I've always said groups fair better when one of their number is connected to the divine. " He turns to Adoven. "So, I take it you are skilled in protection and battle." He turns to Alyssa. "As for you... what are you good at?"
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-08-29 at 10:05 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Alyssa looks slightly offended, and answers:

"I can do a lot of things!!"

...Her appearance changes to one of a young human woman...

"I can cook, bake cookies and even make a cake!"

...She changes into human child...

"I can jump, I can fly I can even play guitar!"

...She changes into someone surprisingly similar to Athia...

"I can talk in five languages...

...She changes into someone surprisingly similar to Adoven...

...I can stab people...

...She starts to change again...
    ...and...and... Achoo...
    ... and instead she sneezes... sending a line of flames in empty space (she turned away to be polite) ... she ends up with her original appearance...

...Ah and I can do that too...
    ...talking about stabbing people makes my nose itchy...
    What was I talking about again?"

Short pause.

"Ah, yes. Let's go to the tower!!"
    Last edited by Lexin; 2012-08-29 at 11:04 AM.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

The sound approaches with every heartbeat, the crashes grows in volume until it's location is unmistakable; it comes from the direction of the tower. Though clattering and dissonance never reaches unbearable levels, it carriers easily over the empty landscape.

Adoven-
    Spoiler
    Show
    The plane is often the final resting ground of both the souls of the dead who have committed gross atrocities in their mortal lives as well as those who have utterly severed their bonds to their respective after-life. Many Shadows and Shades inhabit this planar region, eternally tortured in their incorporeality. Corpses of the same are usually transported through to this plane to prevent their resurrection in the Material Plane, these are often raised as mindless undead and wander the bone deserts unawares of their departed souls that are all but close at hand.

In the distance, through the light of the tower, you see a mass flying through the air and crashing back down into the ground. It disappears as soon as it collides down with the land releasing a final dissonant crash.
    Last edited by Ballista; 2012-08-30 at 07:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Alyssa looks at the bouncy thing with interest:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+10)[28]
    Knowledge: (1d20+14)[29] (Using collector of stories)

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Engald ponders what the large object was.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending 1 Inspiration for Cunning Knowledge.

Knowledge (The Planes): (1d20+20)[37]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Adoven walks to the edge of the circle and slowly moves his hand over the edge of it. At the first sign of pain or danger, he's ready to pull it back.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Azreal finally awakens, having seemed to have missed most of the party. His wings flap as he begins to take inventory of his well being. He seemed intact if not groggy and in dire need of a memory jogging. With a few powerful flaps of his wings, he rises to his feet and begins dusting himself off. Seeing the others, nis eyes narrow for a moment before he speaks.

"Where in the infinite Abyss are we, and why in Pelor's name are we here? Who in the plane of fire are you people anyway? What is going on and what are you loons staring at?"