New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Starting money???

I swear one time I saw a formula for how much starting money adventures get. Why can't I find it now?? Please help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Starting money???

At level 1, it's 100gp. At above that, you get 3 magic items, one each of your level, your level+1, and your level-1, and an amount of gold equal to the value of an item of your level-1.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

And it's in the Players Handbook under "Starting above level 1".

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    And it's in the Players Handbook under "Starting above level 1".
    I believe it's in the DMG, page 143.

5. - Top - End - #5

Planetar

Also, when starting above level one, you get any non-magical gear you want. Choose wisely.

Ie. take a few everburning torches, all "+2 to skill" kits, as much silk rope as you need, a sane amount of spell and ritual books (so you can sell them) and a wheelbarrow full of local Lembas.
    Signatures are so 90's.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Plus the wheelbarrow. And mounts. Try to get a cart, to store loot in it (depending on your starting level, it might come up), since it also means you can probably get 2 mounts instead of one. Like Belkar would say, "Sky is the limit", as long as you can justify it. Oh, and DO get some clothes, I mean, wearing the same rags throughout the whole campaing is just... eh...

7. - Top - End - #7

If a PC pulled that cheese in my campaign I'd have him robbed by overlevelled bandits first thing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, if you want shenanigans, I can do you one better: residuum is not a magical item. So you can start with an arbitrarily high amount of residuum and the Enchant Item ritual...

And yeah, if you do that you deserve a PHB to the forehead
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
    If a PC pulled that cheese in my campaign I'd have him robbed by overlevelled bandits first thing.
    What cheese? Starting with free normal gear? It's not as if it's anywhere close to game-breaking. Most players will start with an adventurer's kit, a couple of everburning torches, enough sunrods to melt the polar ice caps, the +2 to various skills items, maybe a few changes of clothes, and that's about it.

I believe mounts are considered magical items, so they can't be picked up for free. (Hence the fact they have levels and are the same price as their magical counterparts.)

When you add all that up, it only amounts to:

15 (Adventurer's Kit)
    100 (2x Everburning Torches)
    100 (50x Sunrods)
    2 (Climber's Kit)
    20 (Disguise Kit)
    50 (Hunter's Kit)
    40 (Inquisitive's Kit)
    5 (Snares)
    50 (Sun Balm)
    15 (Surveyor's Gear)
    20 (Thieve's Tools)

= 417gp and 121 pounds.

For each Sunrod you think I over/under estimated by, add/subtract 2 gp and 1 pound.

So many characters have weight considerations (or will have to buy a mount to carry their stuff around).

So, really, is that game-breaking? Nah. It only gets silly if you are doing something involving the water, as then the players will pick up a sailing ship each for 10,000gp and which weighs 300,000 pounds.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    When you add all that up, it only amounts to:
    Well, there's a few more than that. But the important part here is enforcing the rule that mundane gear cannot ever be sold (because otherwise, the players may use the money to buy magical gear).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, there's a few more than that. But the important part here is enforcing the rule that mundane gear cannot ever be sold (because otherwise, the players may use the money to buy magical gear).
    What did I miss? (Note: I used my offline character builder and went through each non-magical item one by one, so if I missed something, I want to go in and edit it.)

But - you are absolutely correct. I have to tell all my new players that, "Yes, you can loot the mundane gear but you won't be able to sell it to anyone. They don't like used gear. It's worthless."

When you do that, I really don't see a problem with the system. Although obviously the residuum you pointed out is a loophole. But since the books give the price for how to sell residuum, I think an argument could be made that it's not truly a mundane item.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some classes REALLY need more starting cash than others.
    Like this Assassin I'm playing. I need, at first level:

Poisoners Kit.
    Bola.
    Blowgun.
    Hand crossbow
    Dagger.
    Standard Adventuring kit.
    Leather Armor.

And I would like to start with more.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Waait, where does it say starting mundane equipment is free? If so, I've always wasted money on my paladins, heavy shield, plate armor, longsword, holy symbol, adventures pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Waait, where does it say starting mundane equipment is free? If so, I've always wasted money on my paladins, heavy shield, plate armor, longsword, holy symbol, adventures pack.
    In DMG1, on page 143, in the left-hand column, on the 8th line from the bottom, where it say, "Choose whatever standard adventuring gear you want from the tables in the Player's Handbook." Non-magical weapons, shields, armor, and such are standard adventuring gear in tables in PHB1, so if you're starting at above level 1, you can take whatever you want. Note that this line is before it lays out your starting gold, and after mentioning your starting gold it lists what you can spend it on, and mundane gear isn't among those things.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Just remember, as long as your Paladins STARTED ABOVE FIRST LEVEL you have wasted your money. Otherwise, the rules still apply, and yes, you have to buy mundane equipment with your paltry 100 starting gp.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    Also, when starting above level one, you get any non-magical gear you want. Choose wisely.

Ie. take a few everburning torches, all "+2 to skill" kits, as much silk rope as you need, a sane amount of spell and ritual books (so you can sell them) and a wheelbarrow full of local Lembas.
    Which book covers this rule?

EDIT: Hahah... Never Mind.. that will teach me for replying before finishing a thread!
    Last edited by Ignatius; 2012-04-09 at 06:38 AM.
    I lose more minions to that Starting Tavern than from any other. I mean come on! Give a guy a chance!