New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Riverside VIII: A New Side

Restaurant

"Between the two of us we do things at our work that most would find repulsive in the extreme. Being merely forward about companionship is probably the least we could hope for." Shayan's fork scrapes the bottom of her plate one last time, meal finished at last.

"However, I do think we should decide on something to do before the check comes, lest we both forget what we were talking about next time the moment strikes."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Lake Outside Riverside]

"Yeah... I bet you know a bit more about clothes then I do. I saw some of your stuff when we emptied your room at Genesis place. Nice taste." Irena says with a wink, moving a bit uncomfortably considering a jetty might not be the best place to lay down at.
    "You mean baggy shirts and overalls? I definitely have amazing taste." Nadia laughs. She knows most of her clothing isn't anything special. Of course, she does have some new nice clothes. Such as what she was wearing earlier to day.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eastside Forum

"Moving on then, if you got any questions on your own don't be afraid to ask. These questions are really just to spark communication." Daeva says before turning to Ramiro. "Ramiro, know that I have a great deal of respect towards you. But I have heard there have been some sort of dispute between you and the court of Southside, is this true?" The servant asks.

[Lake Outside Riverside]

"What about that little thing you had when we first met huh? I remember almost getting stuck looking at your cleavage." Irena says, giggling loudly.
    I'm pretty sure Nadia is blushing at this point.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eastside Forum]

Ramiro's attention has been at least partially on Genesis since she appeared. "There has been little real dispute as of yet." There hasn't been too much of an opportunity, especially seeing as just how difficult the changes in Southside are to respond to. "I have not spoken to Genesis since some time before the recent events in the Southern part of the city. It would be good to hear an explanation from you." The last sentence is directed specifically at Genesis.

[Lake Outside Riverside]

Yep, Nadia's face has gone red. It's especially noticeable against her pale skin. "Oh right. That. I've had that thing for ages. Never wore it before that. You like that one, huh?" The lampades grins.

5. - Top - End - #335

Eastside- Church of Telasure

Been a busy month or so for the Telasurians. What with the sudden creation of a new side to the continuing faction war around here and all. That ticked off a whole lot of people within the church. Lots of very angry followers wanting to march right over there and take the land that is now Southside back. Lots of trouble keeping any of those people from doing something stupid, even with the mind-control the priests hold over them.

Mainly though, they've been setting up shelters. The grand cathedral is surrounded by them now, tents and hastily set-up buildings on all sides, housing many of those displaced by the shift in territory. Mostly loyal followers. A few new faces who chose to leave Southside rather than live under a monarchy.

As always though, the Telasurian leadership maintains their stance of keeping as much distance from such matters as they can. The loss of recruiting grounds is irksome, but Southside is not the threat to their pre-existent power base that Genesis's previous campaign was. Their main issue is with the loss of the dam. That... was and is a continuing problem. It would make the induction of new members difficult, no matter how many sought comfort in religion from the cities now rapidly shifting tides.

Eastside- Open Forum

The Telasurian representative is quite rudely late, likely among the last to show. A young man with the hood of his robes pulled over much of his face, stopping just before his close-set eyes and pointy nose, smiling nervously and insincerely as he tries to make his way through the crowd towards one of the corners of the room without attracting undue attention.

A new recruit into the higher echelons of the clergy, as anyone maintaining surveillance upon the Telasurians or simply with an eye for such things could spot in an instant.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

[Eastside - Open Forum]

"The Court of One seeks to protect and aid all those who need it, and those who ask for it." Genesis speaks out confidently. "And so I took the territory that would most benefit from my rule. If an establishment cannot protect their people, or worse, degrades them, I will not stand idle. I saw people within the jurisdiction of Westside who suffered violence and immoral acts at the hands of criminals, for the protection of Tenebras did not reach them. I saw citizens who wished to see the sun in their sky again- and so I brought my rule to them, and cast aside the darkness that plagued them.

"There is much in Riverside that needs to be rectified."
    The fae queen declares. "People in poverty, strange cults exerting unnatural influence, criminal gangs and vile magics. I intend to exert my power against such things, and see little compelling reason to avert my hand for the sake of politeness, spending lives and happiness to buy political favor. I recognize and respect the work of Tenebras, but I will not let that respect stay me from action when it is required- this city demands better of us all."

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

House of Virtues

"Well, it appears that where Pet comes from, it is generally commonplace for those worshiping any god to sacrifice people."
    Razorfang says with a shake of her head, bewildered at the thought. "He was quite pleased to learn we didn't do such."

Restaurant

"Well...we could do many things after the CT Scan. Anything you wish really. Hit a movie, come back out for dessert...hell, even head back to your labs or my place if you wish. This is a rare opportunity and I'd rather not squander it by being selfish."
    Cin admits.

8. - Top - End - #338

Restaurant

"I would prefer that at the end of the night we arrive at my labs, as I am admittedly rather self-conscious of my own setup, and the approval or suggestions for improvement from a stellar colleague would do much to alleviate that. However, a movie does sound nice, and I think we should have time for both, if we choose a short one and we take the Riftline back to my residence." Shayan's vine moves slowly, trying to loop around the hand Cin is resting on it in a loose sort of embrace.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

House of Virtues

"Human sacrifice has been outlawed in the Imperium for over a hundred years. There are sometimes whispers of it occurring. Every god has a right to their cult, and most cults have some element of activities open only to initiates or to their priests. That makes it easy to attribute missing persons to any unpopular cult. But usually investigation provides a more mundane solution."
    Felis says.

Razorfang may smell a bit of guilt from Felis when he talks of initiate-only activities. After all, it is because of his activities that Vita was never formally consecrated as a priestess of her chosen god.

Vita remains silent for now.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

House of Virtues

Rugal gives a small glance over at Vita before giving a small cough into his hand. "Any other questions you two wished to know?" He asks, offering to change the subject to keep the woman from growing more perturbed by them.

Restaurant

Cin takes the vine in his hand and slowly stands from his seat. "Then that, my dear lady..." He says before leaning down to kiss the vine gently, watching her eyes as he does so. "Is exactly what we'll do."

11. - Top - End - #341

Restaurant

The vine Cin is holding loops up around the table so that Shayan can stand up without tugging on it. Four of her other vines prop her up in place of her legs, which dangle uselessly in the booth.

"I think The Silence of the Demon Lambs is playing, and it's always a classic. Does that sound good to you?" She's curious as to what Cin would think of it, especially considering his taste in wine.

"I think though, we can go without the wheelchair from now on. Would it be alright if we left it where I'll be getting the CT scan? Truthfully I borrowed it from the hospital for my disguise."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Restaurant

"That sounds perfectly fine. And I doubt anyone will care where you leave the wheelchair." He informs her. If Shayan allows him, he'll walk her back to the hospital to get the CT done, arm wrapped around her vine as they do so.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

House of Virtues

"What are your plans for the future, and how do we fit into them?"
    Vita asks, finally composing herself to look up again at the Slaane****es. "Felis and I... any plans we ever had are gone now. We have to start over." She tries to keep her composure, and mostly does, but there's a small hitch in her voice, and Felis automatically puts a hand to her shoulder.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

14. - Top - End - #344

Restaurant -> Hospital

With the exception of her pulling Cin a bit closer so her can hold her arm instead, Shayan will allow Cin to lead her to the hospital, where startling results await them.

Once the scan is complete, several things come to light. The vines are rooted along her spine primarily, and obviously the cause of her paraplegic woes, as there are several points where the vines have grown between her discs, cutting them off from one another completely in a way regeneration wouldn't solve.

From the spine, offshoots have spread through her entire torso, into the circulatory and respiratory systems, as well as the lower intestine. Everything she cannot make use of, from her solid and liquid waste to the carbon monoxide she breaths out, the plant converts to its own purposes.

And oddly enough, although Shayan has found that the seeds only grow when exposed to a brain, none of the roots extend that far up her spine. They simply grow up to the base of the cerebellum and stop.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    [Eastside - Open Forum]

"The Court of One seeks to protect and aid all those who need it, and those who ask for it." Genesis speaks out confidently. "And so I took the territory that would most benefit from my rule. If an establishment cannot protect their people, or worse, degrades them, I will not stand idle. I saw people within the jurisdiction of Westside who suffered violence and immoral acts at the hands of criminals, for the protection of Tenebras did not reach them. I saw citizens who wished to see the sun in their sky again- and so I brought my rule to them, and cast aside the darkness that plagued them.

The fae queen declares. "People in poverty, strange cults exerting unnatural influence, criminal gangs and vile magics. I intend to exert my power against such things, and see little compelling reason to avert my hand for the sake of politeness, spending lives and happiness to buy political favor. I recognize and respect the work of Tenebras, but I will not let that respect stay me from action when it is required- this city demands better of us all."
    [Eastside - Open Forum]

"I see." Ramiro's voice holds some displeasure. He had been hoping for some new information. "Very well. I have no further questions."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    [Eastside - Open Forum]

[Eastside - Open Forum]

Once Genesis is done a figure in a black robe, that if one looked closely enough seemed to shimmer as if it were made from all possible colors, stood up. The shadows seemed to cling to him, as if they had some sort of material being as they got close to him, and as he spoke his voice had a cold emptiness to them.

" I am a representative from the Cult of Scaal, protectors of Northside, and I pose a question to you Genesis. What makes you any different from those you condemn? You say you shall rectify the evils of vile magic and unnatural influence but aren't these tools you openly use yourself? How can your words and actions be trusted when you are so clearly a hypocrite? "

A murmur went through the crowd. He did seem to have a point. There were others though that were starting to murmur the same thing about him though, what with how little there was actually known about the Cult of Scaal. Others though simple kept quite and seemed to shrink back, most of them from Northside itself.
    Last edited by ApeofLight; 2012-05-17 at 01:50 PM.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

[Eastside - Open Forum]

"Will you condemn the very energies that shaped the world from its primordial slumber? The power and magic I use is far from unnatural, but instead the very basis of reality itself. However... perhaps I spoke too vaguely. The word is misleading, perhaps incorrect. I have no qualms with all that is unnatural, nor do many of you, I'm sure. Is a vampire natural, its life extended and prolonged, sustained by that of others? Are the spirits worshiped by many natural, a creature beyond the laws of the world? Neither Riverside at large nor I have any apparently difficulties with either of these, among others." Genesis replies calmly.

"What I think of, and I would condemn, are those things I see used for ill. Insidious magics that selfishly and thoughtlessly enslave unwilling innocents, and those arts that draw on the destructive powers of the necromantic. These are acts and powers I have seen in my time here that I do not abide, nor have I ever dabbled in."

"There is no hypocrisy in my actions and words." The fae queen states without hesitation. "Where the violent would destroy for their own gain, I have raised wealth and prosperity from nothing. Where the criminals would threaten, I have protected. Where some would seize control, I have empowered the people, giving them the strength to rise up on their own. This is what Riverside has cried out for, and I do not think I am alone in wanting to see those desires be sated."

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

[Eastside - Open Forum]

Swapping one supernatural ruler for another... what difference does it make for the common people? The balding old man speaks, looking at Genesis and the cultist with precious little sympathy.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

Eastside- Open Forum

"I think that would depend on the supernatural ruler. An undead wizard who sees his subjects as pawns and possibly food would be hardly benevolent, and yet is less unnatural than a celestial being hailing from some realm of law and good that cannot be anything other than kind, just and helpful. Personally, I'd rather not have either as my liege for the simple reason that law and good will be better for the people, but such celestials are rather rigid in their thinking." Defelent responds. "Also, the only thing 'unnatural' the Church of Dalachrech performs is ensuring that invertebrate pests stay away from the city's food supply, and we do that through the blessings of the Lord of Invertebrates rather than pesticides and poisons."

"My uncle's a Necromancer, and he uses the powers granted through his study for... Well, perhaps not good, but certainly not destruction. Those skeletal monkeys running around are his, and they report crimes. They don't damage property, kill people, or anything else- just watch, listen, and learn. Like security cameras, only less prone to power cuts and capable of walking around. Necromancy is not an evil art, it's a tool, no more evil than a hammer." Byont is quite avid about that. His entire clan has been guided and protected by his uncle for several generations; they've come to accept necromancy as a fact of existence.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Eastside Forum

Jezebel gives a loud sigh at the quarreling going on and shakes her head, pitying them all. "I don't believe this meeting was called to decide things about Riverside as a whole. Not Northside, Westside, or even Southside aside from establishing your presences, so maybe if all the petty jibes and arguments could cease, we could accomplish something sometime this week?" The Daemoness asks. "As far as it goes for the Mask Territory in Eastside, "Strange outsider magic"..." She says, gesturing her hands jokingly and mocking the concerns of the purists. "is used, but only for the betterment of those within our area. We make no claim to rule, but instead make a claim of protection and reformation. Those who wish are able to arrive or leave when they will."

Hospital

Cin will show Shayan the results with a bit of a frown. "Well, I suppose the most important thing I should tell you is to make sure you're constantly fed and hydrated. Otherwise the growths will likely ravage your body to stay alive."

House of Virtues

"Honestly? We don't have any long term plans except to survive, get work, and enjoy ourselves in the meantime. Maybe something will pop up sometime, but for now, that's all we really desire. As for how you two fit into it, that depends on you."
    The V'traani tells them.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Forum

Janis closes her eyes, shutting out the quarrelling. She appears to be meditating, or perhaps she has a headache.

House of Virtues

"Then we will remain with you," Vita says decisively. "It is my brother's wish, as well as his fate, and..."

"...we must not be parted." Felis finishes. It wasn't a literal dependence, like a dryad and her tree. They could be physically far apart and still have their mental bond. But after their loss, they are simply not emotionally prepared to separate.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #352

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Hospital

Cin will show Shayan the results with a bit of a frown. "Well, I suppose the most important thing I should tell you is to make sure you're constantly fed and hydrated. Otherwise the growths will likely ravage your body to stay alive."
    Hospital

"I wouldn't worry about that. I've gone without food and water before, and I don't seem to decay faster than anyone else because of dehydration. In fact, because of the regeneration I actually last longer than I should." Shayan gives Cin a reassuring nod, and then tries to take a look at the results a bit more closely.

"Hrm... what about the brain? It's clearly not present there, but I've never seen one grow anywhere but. It seems more closely rooted in the spine than anywhere else, but what similarities between spine and brain would make this possible?" She seems to be mumbling to herself, not paying as much attention to Cin's presence as before. It's the first time she's really seen how the merger functions, and it's fascinating her.

23. - Top - End - #353

Eastside Forum

"With all due respect for the masks, I do not believe there is a single organization within this city who claims it wants to rule over people. They just offer protection and order. What they don't tell you is that this essentially is power. People follow those who take care of them in exchange of their support. In this city specifically support can be bought for very little." The Malechenar representative Celestel tells Jezebel with a gentle smile.

"Actually." Daeva says, "Considering organizations outside of Eastside have come here we are discussing Riverside as a whole. The purpose of this meeting is not only to spark these discussions but also to actually discuss these problems together."

[Lake Outside Riverside]

"I liked what it revealed." Irena says with a grin. "Of course, I can take a peak at that nearly every time I want now." Suddenly getting up she shifts over to kiss Nadia's navel. "Among other things..."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-05-17 at 05:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eastside Forum

The Scaal representative seems to sigh and sit down. " I see little reason for me to be here. Northside is safe and prosperous. " He states coldly as a fact.
    "Insert some witty comment here"

-Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

[Eastside - Open Forum]

"An easily answered question." Genesis replies to the old man. "Any person who supports and works in harmony with the Court of One is not merely protected, but provided for. If they would build a brighter future for Riverside, then I will support them and help their dream become reality. For those following the Court, shelter and sustenance are not privileges or commodities, they are rights- the Court gives them freely to any who need them, as well as what aid it can to realize even greater dreams.
    "It is but a simple thing, but already it seems to have made a great change within Southside."
    Genesis observes. "Those who have remained to see it seem to find such provisions quite welcome."

This answered, she turns her attention to Jezebel. "While I find joy and satisfaction in the game of words, I agree that there is more merit to action and the work of one's hands. What would you, in particular, see us do here?"

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eastside - Open Forum]

"There is a flaw in that line of thinking." Ramiro says to Jezebel. "While a ruler is not precisely what is needed, Riverside does need leadership, whether centralized or divided into particular areas. You can offer as much protection as you want, but without establishing an authority it will be difficult to accomplish much. Now the question is, are you prepared to fill that role or if you are not, and it would be understandable if that were the case, are you willing to allow someone else to step in and fill that roll?"

Samona leans forward and props her chin on her hand. She smiles sweetly at Scaal's representative. "Fear does have a way of making things safe, doesn't it? Prosperous on the other hand, less so." Ramiro puts a hand on her arm in warning, but she's already said what she wanted to say.

[Lake Outside Riverside]

Nadia shudders at the touch of Irena's lips. She runs a hand through the other woman's hair and giggles a little. "I've noticed you like that. Is that why you wanted me to live with you?" She asks wryly.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

House of Virtue

Rugal nods. "Very well then. If neither of you wish to partake of any mercenary offers we take in, you could help run things here if you'd like. Not sure how yet, but it's away from all the violence."

Hospital

"I mean after a while. The vines need sustenance from your body, and if you would go too long without and started to starve, I'd be willing to bet they'd attempt to use your muscle tissue as a source of energy and nutrients. But, perhaps your regeneration runs differently than mine."
    Cin admits. "As for the growth, it's all nervous tissue and cerebro-spinal fluid. Different forms of the former, but the latter is just about the same around the brain and the spine."

Eastside - Open Forum

"Mostly, a degree of unity as a city would be nice to see instead of multiple political factions, but I doubt that will be very possible. Especially considering how vastly different each of us are from one another."
    Jezebel tells Genesis before tilting her head at Ramiro. After a moment's thought, she gives a predatory smile. "So, you're saying that there needs to be an established leadership in my area in order for me to effectively safeguard my people? Very well, then I suppose I'll have to declare myself as ruler of Eastside if that's what you're getting at. I could step up my plans of reformation to provide better safety and lifestyles to more people quicker. Shouldn't be too hard. If you have any doubts about my ability to do so, talk to people Inside. I have already rebuilt a sizable neighborhood there, and that was without magic."
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2012-05-17 at 10:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

House of Virtues

"I'd love to work with you," Felis blurts out.

"You aren't trained for that, Brother,"
    Vita points out, saying it aloud rather than privately, so that the mercenaries know. "You've only had a few weeks of target practice. It takes a lot more than that to make someone into a soldier."

"I can learn. Will you train me?" he asks eagerly.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #359

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post

Hospital

"I mean after a while. The vines need sustenance from your body, and if you would go too long without and started to starve, I'd be willing to bet they'd attempt to use your muscle tissue as a source of energy and nutrients. But, perhaps your regeneration runs differently than mine."
    Cin admits. "As for the growth, it's all nervous tissue and cerebro-spinal fluid. Different forms of the former, but the latter is just about the same around the brain and the spine."
    Hospital

"Spinal fluid? It's entirely possible... perhaps it doesn't grow in the presence of grey matter, but instead the fluid encasing it? If you don't mind delaying our movie date for a moment, I would like to test something. It would involve you conducting a spinal tap on me, and then I will introduce a seed and see if it germinates. It should take no longer than ten minutes to see results." Shayan's tone is positively giddy, despite her words being fairly dry and scientific. Her eyes are as clear as Cin has ever seen them.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

[Eastside - Open Forum]

"To what end does the city require unity from its factions?" Genesis questions curiously. "Diversity allows the populace more options, more capability to choose what they desire. Some cooperation might cut back on unnecessary conflict, which might be useful, but that would not require real unity."