New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: The Proteus (factotumish base class) (3.5) PEACH please

I'm starting to homebrew again, and I thought a good place to start would be to bring up some of my old work for PEACHing, and try to improve them. This class is from a while ago, and I'm looking for new thoughts, comments, concerns, etc. and especially new ideas to incorporate that would help me flex my homebrewing muscles.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #32

Anybody? Bum-bum-bumpinnnnn
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Proteus (factotumish base class) (3.5) PEACH please

You might want to add some sort of restriction on the Smite Alignment ability.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    You might want to add some sort of restriction on the Smite Alignment ability.
    What do you mean?
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Empedocles View Post
    What do you mean?
    Perhaps, they can't pick an alignment to Smite that they have (For example, a good proteus can't smite good).
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Perhaps, they can't pick an alignment to Smite that they have (For example, a good proteus can't smite good).
    Oh, right! Good point.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

7. - Top - End - #37

It looks like a great base class but several of the minor powers confuse me. Firstly why can a lawful good character be able to smite law and good but not evil or chaos. Surely he should not be able to smite anyone of the same alignment. Otherwise this power can become quite useless e.g. what use has a good character got to smite another good character; Paladins of Bahumat don't go around smiting clerics of Pelor

Also some of the features like animal companion and familiar shouldn't limited to certain paths. It seems that especially animal companion should be allowed for anyone and this could make some interesting combinations like a cleric with a familiar or a psion with a dinosaur.

Another thing is that spell casting with the druid spell list seems quite underpowered compared to other paths. Perhaps have a nature path with ranger spells and weaker wildshape.

All in all though I love this class. It seems to be a build-your-own class more than a single identifying feature and I think it fits the theme of adventuring jack-of-all trades better than factotum, which I also love.
    Last edited by Pesimismrocks; 2013-03-11 at 12:04 PM.
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Pesimismrocks View Post
    It looks like a great base class but several of the minor powers confuse me. Firstly why can a lawful good character be able to smite law and good but not evil or chaos. Surely he should not be able to smite anyone of the same alignment. Otherwise this power can become quite useless e.g. what use has a good character got to smite another good character; Paladins of Bahumat don't go around smiting clerics of Pelor

Also some of the features like animal companion and familiar shouldn't limited to certain paths. It seems that especially animal companion should be allowed for anyone and this could make some interesting combinations like a cleric with a familiar or a psion with a dinosaur.

Another thing is that spell casting with the druid spell list seems quite underpowered compared to other paths. Perhaps have a nature path with ranger spells and weaker wildshape.

All in all though I love this class. It seems to be a build-your-own class more than a single identifying feature and I think it fits the theme of adventuring jack-of-all trades better than factotum, which I also love.
    I guess you're right that the druid spell list is relatively low power, but it's more of a thematic choice, and saying that the druid spell list is underpowered compared to the cleric or wizard spell list is like saying that the great wyrm gold dragon is underpowered compared to a time dragon. They're both crazy strong. One just more so.

I like the idea about the animal companion, but the familiars will stay exclusive since they're often portrayed as incarnations of magical power (witches being told magic by their familiar, etc.)

Overall though glad you like the class
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure I'm echoing some of the criticisms previously made, but hopefully this is helpful.

• As many of the abilities as possible should be spelled out explicitly so you don't have to reference a zillion books. Sneak attack is a good example; there's no reason to reference spellthief when you can say 1d6 at 1st and an additional 1d6 every four levels thereafter.
    • For martial maneuvers and binding, you should specify what your IL and EBL are. I'd recommend making your IL at least more than the standard 1/2 level.
    • Does the free skill trick count against the maximum known? Do you have to qualify for it?
    • Smite confuses me. So if you're good, you can't smite evil?
    • Familiars are available through a feat, so you might want to remove that from the minor powers list.
    • Shadowcasting is problematic. Do you get them as SLAs/SUs eventually? Bonus feats from completing paths? Etc.
    • Evasion and Improved Evasion are gained a little late for my taste.

Other than those, it looks pretty good to me. I haven't played a character from all the subsystems, so I can't really comment on how balanced the paths are to each other, but it seems okay. Spellcasting/psionics are probably going to be the most powerful 'cause they're, y'know, spellcasting. Still, I like it.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

2 questions:

1) How are spells known handled? The adept automatically knows everything on their list, if you pick the arcane list, do you get all spells in your 3 chosen schools?

2) For the Chakra minor power, are all chakras unlocked with levels, or does the Proteus have to pick one from each category?

By the way, I really like this class.

11. - Top - End - #41

Just one more thing. The fact that arcane based Proteus characters will use wisdom instead of INT/CHA seems a little strange although having WIS as your main stat does seem to fit adventuring in terms of skills: Listen, Spot,Survival.

Also again the fact that a lawful good proteus could only smite either law or good instead of evil or chaos makes no sense to me.

Just wanted to say one more time I love the idea and fluff of this class and the mechanics of a sort of make your own class seem great. I will playtest it in an upcoming oneshot game with my friends.
    And treasure!

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm echoing some of the criticisms previously made, but hopefully this is helpful.

• As many of the abilities as possible should be spelled out explicitly so you don't have to reference a zillion books. Sneak attack is a good example; there's no reason to reference spellthief when you can say 1d6 at 1st and an additional 1d6 every four levels thereafter.
    • For martial maneuvers and binding, you should specify what your IL and EBL are. I'd recommend making your IL at least more than the standard 1/2 level.
    • Does the free skill trick count against the maximum known? Do you have to qualify for it?
    • Smite confuses me. So if you're good, you can't smite evil?
    • Familiars are available through a feat, so you might want to remove that from the minor powers list.
    • Shadowcasting is problematic. Do you get them as SLAs/SUs eventually? Bonus feats from completing paths? Etc.
    • Evasion and Improved Evasion are gained a little late for my taste.

Other than those, it looks pretty good to me. I haven't played a character from all the subsystems, so I can't really comment on how balanced the paths are to each other, but it seems okay. Spellcasting/psionics are probably going to be the most powerful 'cause they're, y'know, spellcasting. Still, I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by genericwit View Post
    2 questions:

1) How are spells known handled? The adept automatically knows everything on their list, if you pick the arcane list, do you get all spells in your 3 chosen schools?

2) For the Chakra minor power, are all chakras unlocked with levels, or does the Proteus have to pick one from each category?

By the way, I really like this class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesimismrocks View Post
    Just one more thing. The fact that arcane based Proteus characters will use wisdom instead of INT/CHA seems a little strange although having WIS as your main stat does seem to fit adventuring in terms of skills: Listen, Spot,Survival.

Also again the fact that a lawful good proteus could only smite either law or good instead of evil or chaos makes no sense to me.

Just wanted to say one more time I love the idea and fluff of this class and the mechanics of a sort of make your own class seem great. I will playtest it in an upcoming oneshot game with my friends.
    Hey so right now I don't have my rulebooks with me, so for a lot of this stuff I want to read through them before making changes. I'll fix smite though, that was silly of me. Thank you guys SO much for the feedback, and I'll post again as soon as I've decided on how I want to impliment the suggested changes.
    Last edited by Empedocles; 2013-03-17 at 11:56 AM.
    Extended Signature here.

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

13. - Top - End - #43

I just noted that dark knowledge path ability needs a path, and invocations path a path ability.

It also seems possible to pick up two familiars with the minor power and path ability.

Also would it be possible for a dragonfire adept path or minor power (Either breath weapon, breath effects or draconic invocations)? I just love DFAs and I would live a dragon themed character with arcane power and a dragon familiar.
    And treasure!