New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (IC)

Li's face starts to smile, until he hears the goblin try and bargain with him. Then it turns noticeably mad. His calm voice taking a taint of anger to it as he looked to the goblin.

Bergy, I do not care what part of any Fey is of use to anyone for any reason. If you and your friends do not want to be handed over to a fey court, then answer me with the truth.

Now, why are you attacking the deer men? You said you didn't have a choice, so who is forcing you to hunt them?
    Last edited by Azoth; 2013-01-28 at 04:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek froze with Li's waterskin under the surface. He didn't think he could bring himself to fight Li again, but wasn't sure what to do to prevent any more torture. Then when one of the goblins began speaking common he relaxed slightly. He rose and slowly walked over to Li handing him his waterskin. As he hands it to him he squeezes his shoulder.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The goblin freezes, looking around for answers.

"Orcs?" he offers. His bluff is terrible and it's obvious that he's winging it from this point on.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looks to Tilmek and touches the hand giving it a squeeze as well. The look on his changing to show that he was in control of himself. A small friendly smile played across it before vanishing as he turned back to face the goblins.

Lie to me again, and I will let the deer man over there judge you all here and now. I will not stop him no matter his judgement...or your punishment.

Now, let us try an easier thing for you to tell the truth on. Tell me what you know of the Verdant Prince that lives in this forest.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The Hybsil look on with continued interest. Libby's soft sobbing breaks the silence. Bergy struggles to find the words. "Verdin' Prince? Hed hoonter mean Fairy God? Tall man, horns made of trees, hair made of..." he struggles to find an appropriate word "tree grass. Many dagger on shoulder. Magic eyes. Fairy god strong magic."

Jobar steps up. "He's not lying about this. The Verdant Prince is no god, but I know why goblins think so. You'll see for yourself when we get to his glade."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Li sighs a bit as the Hybsil speaks.

Ok, now let's try my first question again. Who is forcing you to hunt the deer men? Why does he want the deer men's horns? And remember...do no lie to me. If you do, I will let this deer man do whatever he wants to you. I don't think you will like it either.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Bergy doos what da boss say. Boss say hunt da deer man, Bergy hunt da deer man. Horn got good magic. Much gold for da horns." He looks up at Tilmek with a pleading expression.

"Bergy no want kill da deer man. Bergy like da deer man. Let Bergy go."

Tilmek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bergy's not lying about this boss. But you get the sense that he's just saying what he thinks you want to hear about him not really wanting to kill the Hybsil. At this point, Bergy's appealing to the "good cop" to try to get out of this mess alive, but he's not very smooth about it. The limited intelligence of the pathetic creature and his fractured grasp of the common tongue suggests that Bergy is, at best, "middle management"... one of possibly thousands in this forest.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek looks down at Bergy sadly and says, "Bergy, I promise I will not hurt you, but its not my place to order about my friend here. I'm telling you this, because its the truth and I want you to trust me. If you would rather talk to me I'm than happy to listen, but that's going to require honesty from both of us." He steps away from Li slighty, and closer to Bergy still staying out of arms reach. "I believe that your telling me the truth about your boss ordering you to kill the deer men. By the same token I think your lying about not wanting to, but that doesn't matter for now." He steps slowly towards the goblin with his palms out and hands him his waterskin. "I just want to know who your boss is, and why he wants the horns. If you tell me the truth, i give you my word that I will do my best to see you and your men through this alive."

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

He looks back at the group of goblins, then leans forward to whisper, "Boss Grignak."

The boy looks up from calming Libby at the mention of the name.

"Big hunter. Da boss be strong with spear. Boss's fault. Not Bergy's. Boss's fault!" He nods his head eagerly, still clinging to the lie of his innocence. Still, judging by his unwillingness to mention Grignak's name out loud, you suspect that he's talking about a creature the goblin's fear.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek puts his hand on Bergy's shoulder and leads him away from the other goblins, but stays within eye shot. "Tell me about Grignak. Why did he order you to kill the deer men?" he says in a hushed tone.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Bergy walks away with Tilmek, acting a bit more relaxed now. "For da horns, and da weapons. Good horns. Strong magic. Hunter get horns, Boss sell horns. Hunters keep arrows." He says with a greedy grin.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek nods and says, "What do the horns do? And whats so special about their arrows?" After listening to Bergy's answer, Tilmek asks, "How strong is Grignak, and when will he expect you to return to him?"

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Bergy shrugs at the question. "Strong magic." is about all he can offer about what the horns do. Although Bergy does seem a little smarter than the average goblin, he doesn't strike you as the kind who would know much about arcane secrets.

He seems a little frustrated that you're interested in his loot though. "Arrows make enemy go to sleep. Some do. Deer men make good arrows."

When the talk turns to Grignak, he gets a little nervous. "Grignak big. Grignak eat Bergy if Grignak know Bergy tells about him."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

Li turns and speaks loudly and clearly to Bergy. What would your people do if Grignak was killed? Would you still hunt the deer men and other inhabitants of this forest, or would you live peaceably in coexistence with them?

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Bergy looks at Li then nods overly enthusiastically. "Oh yes! Burgy live in peace. Bergy hurt nobody." His posturing clearly indicates he's in survival mode and will say anything to get out of this predicament. Nothing about his attitude up to now suggests that he wouldn't continue to do what goblins do best.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

"How can you prove that Bergy? And will the other goblins live in peace to? No matter how you answer I wont hurt you. We're just trying to find a way for everyone to live long peaceful lives." Tilmek says after Bergy's overzealous answer.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Bergy looks confounded by the question. It clearly hadn't occurred to him that he would have to prove his intentions. After a moment, he shrugs like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. "Bergy go far away?" he offers weakly. "No fight deer men if Bergy don't see deer men."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek turns to Li. "That's one solution. And it would keep him safe from Grignak."

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looks to Tilmek, That is not for us to decide. All we can do is inform the abbey of our findings when they face trial. From there it is up to the judging council to decide their fate and punishments. Our duty now is to uphold our word, and make certain they survive long enough to face judgement to the best of our abilities. Once they reach the abbey, it is simply out of our hands.

Slowly, Li rises and begins to walk towards Coanaccoch and Necahual. His eyes level and his face calm. His voice soft to keep the goblins from hearing easily.
    My heart is not afield, but instead stifled by mind and will to survive. It is also held by my desire to keep all my comrades safe and well. For that reason, I will do whatever it takes to keep us safe above all else.

I am no tin-tyrant either. I do what is necessary for us all. I have lived things that have taken my innocence and naivete, so the story book paths and ideals are closed to me. You asked me who is to suffer, and you are too blind to see it openly.

Do you honestly think I enjoy breaking bones and cutting off enemy heads? Do you believe I do these things wantonly and gladly? Do you think I would happily tell children to die in a forest that has almost claimed us?

If so, then you know not the man you travel with. I suffer for every one of these acts, and it is my hands stained by the blood of those I wrong so that we can continue well. Though, remember this, and remember it well...you stand idle and watch these travesties without raising hand or voice to stop them. So who is the more shameful of us? Who is truly more wrong and evil?

Who demanded innocent and scared children to watch my interrogation? Who robbed them of innocence and trust for those who are to protect them? My hand carried the act, but your voice commanded an audience.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual comes in darn near nose-to-nose, "What travesties did I not raise hand or voice to stop?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Li does not blink nor step back. The balls of his feet dig into the ground as if he is ready for a fight. You raised no voice nor hand to stop this interrogation. You encouraged the children to watch and use me as an example of how evil begins and grows. If you view me as evil, then I am your foe by teaching of the abbey. You then have no choice but to fight me...either to death or unconsciousness. To either kill me as punishment, or have me stand trial for my actions. Is that your wish, since you wouldn't fight me last time?

Perhaps you have forgotten at the village. Instead of stopping me like Vir, Tilmek, and the others did...Do you remember what you did Nechahual? In case you have forgotten, let me remind you.

You saw me fighting the others, and then saw a helpless goblin. One who was injured, and bound in knots it could not escape. Truly a pitiful creature, even if innocent by our knowledge at that time.

You then took it upon yourself to brutally and shamelessly execute that goblin. You crushed his head like a rotting melon under a carriage wheel Nechahual! A helpless, innocent, bound prisoner! You did what you condemn me for considering!

I haven't killed any foe outside the Alaghi's, and damn sure none that were prisoners! The thought of me committing the same sin you already bare was enough for my very condemnation.

Tell me Nechahual, how does the hypocritical sinner justify their judgement? How pragmatic is it in your mind, when your hands are already stained darker than my own?

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek walks over and places himself near the two arguing. He doesnt say anything since these are issues that must be worked out, but he is keeping a close eye on them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to use Stunning Fist on whoever gets physical first. attack roll (1d20+7)[11]
    if i can use Karmic strike after that to give ac 12 i do that to.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

"First of all, my forked-tongue fellow," Necahual says, moving head back and forth around Tilmek's head, "your use of biased language does you well. You would do well as a politician. But two things here. The execution I delivered occurred immediately in the heat of passion, and there was no attempt to torture. Had we done so at our most recent battle, that would have been fine with me, but prisoners are more valuable and everyone agreed.

"I am aware of various ways to turn that back on me, but they all center around one argument of yours: the conception that you think I hold myself blameless. I know what I've done, and I see you going there as well, but with a longer-term sadism. Tilmek, who needs to wash his hair as his head keeps bobbing back and forth ... calmed you well.

"But at no time did I hold myself blameless. At no time. These kids saw how man has descended without restraint. But he and Libby need to witness how that descent might begin, so they might not end up like the people in the bandit camp.

"As for not raising a voice .... I did raise a voice. Just because I didn't say 'Stop,' doesn't mean I didn't say anything. The entirety of what I had said was asking you to stop, but in a manner more erudite than your ability to perceive it. By not physically stopping you doesn't mean some ridiculously absolutist aspect. If we were to fight ... how does that help the larger issue?

"Of course, if you want to deal with this once we get back to the Abbey ...."
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-02-04 at 03:55 AM.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

24. - Top - End - #894
    Colossus in the Playground

Dunh-dunh-dunh!
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-04 at 04:22 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

The goblins look on with a mixed expression of fear, confusion, and sadistic interest as they observe the team fall apart.

Jobar and his group has regressed to their own corner, knowing that this is not their fight.

The boy is holding Libby's shoulder, but she shrugs the touch away and steps closer, studying the interaction carefully. She doesn't seem afraid anymore. Instead her jaw is set and her eyes are focused on the exchange as the cold moments freeze in time.

In the brief silence after the exchange of threats, you can hear the friendly chatter of Ur-Agal and Vir-Sashi, clearly coming back from the hunt. Triumphantly, they march through the clearing, carrying a good-sized buck between them.

"And that is when my sensei noticed I had the kama the whole time!" Ur-Agal finishes with a laugh, followed by Vir-Sashi's incredulous scoff. "Wasn't he furious?" Vir-Sashi returns.

"No, once I explained how I did it, he recommended me for my first reconnaissance mission." Ur-Agal sets the deer down with a triumphant smile. And looks over at Coanacoch. "We've enough the feed everyone, including the prisoners, and possibly store up some rations!" Ur-Agal, elated from the hunt, still can't wipe off his grin, and is apparently oblivious to the tension in the camp. "We even found some delicious greens to go as sides for the venison."

Vir-Sashi produces a sack of fruits, nuts and vegetables, but sees Coanacoch's worried look. Misinterpreting it's cause, he chimes in. "We've nothing to fear in this region. This pool and all territories beyond are under the protection of the Verdant Prince. We met a member of the Fey on our way back from the hunt who explained all this. She also said you were getting hungry and that we should hurry back to camp."

Ur-Agal plops down and takes a drink from the pool and washes his neck. You haven't seen him this relaxed since you met him at the Abbey. Nonchalantly, he turns to Coanacoch. "What did we miss? Have we made a decision about the goblins?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

26. - Top - End - #896
    Colossus in the Playground

Coanoch smiles now that there will be an auto-cool of the situation. "Well, they did, but I didn't earn their tongue, so hear it from those who did."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

Li turns from Necahual, Their leader, Grignak, is hunting the Hybsil for their sleep arrows and the price their horns fetch on the market. They hunt based on the fear of being killed by their leader if they don't. We will take them to the abbey for trial. Tilmek and I will recommend they do service as penance for their crimes, and then be relocated far from the forest. I also, will advise the abbey send out another larger team to handle Grignak and the rest of the tribe for their crimes.

Since the others have returned, it is too dangerous for him to continue his argument. Too many ears to hear his words from his own lips, and too many arms to restrain him if things turned. It isn't over though, and Necahual treads too fine a line with him for now. Not a foe yet, but far from the close comrade the others still remain. Condemnation could now cost her more than she realizes. This forest is treacherous, indeed...and battle chaotic.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ur-Agal nods. "That will cause complications. We are not really equipped to accommodate this many prisoners. What if we should encounter combat? What assurances can we provide that they will not successfully escape? Or slit our throats as we sleep. I understand why we would want these goblins to stand trial, but I have no love for these ravagers and despoilers. A swift death from a single clean blow is more than their kind deserves."

Vir-Sashi turns to Ur-Agal. "I'm a monster, and look more like a goblin than I do a human. Would you seek no justice for me should you find me enslaved to do evil bidding from a dominant master? What fate would my kind deserve?"

Ur-Agal looks to Vir-Sashi, blushing and stammering a bit. "That is not what I meant. Of course I would not execute you, but that is different. You have rejected the ways of the Yuan-Ti and lived an admirable life serving the cause of justice."

Vir-Sashi looks to the goblins. The expression on his face is enough to express his point, and Ur-Agal clears his throat to change the subject.

"I think it is safe to start a fire. We can enjoy a hot meal today and freshen up before meeting this prince." He removes a boot and shakes out a few pebbles, refusing to make eye contact with Vir-Sahshi or the goblins.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looks to Ur-Agal and spits, If I am to contain my hatred of Fey for what they have done to me in my past, then you can stay your blade's thirst for goblin blood Ur-Agal. We will keep them bound until our return to the abbey, if need be I will tether them to myself for the journey. We keep their weapons and armor away from them with the group member on watch to assure our throats remain intact. Should they die due to enemy attack, we make amends with their tribe for the casualties as the abbey often does.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ur-Agal pauses from emptying his shoe to examine Li. Assuming Li's just in one of his moods, Ur-Agal decides it's best to just drop this issue.

Jobar walks up to Ur-Agal, and they chat for a few moments. He smiles and shakes Jobar's hand.

"The rest of the Hybsil will leave. I've offered them a ration from the hunt once we've prepared everything."

He turns to the boy and Libby. "Do you wish to help me prepare lunch?"

The children dutifully join in with Ur-Agal. Libby peels some vegetables while the boy helps Ur-Agal clean the deer.

After about an hour, dinner is served.

Spoiler
    Show

"Shall we?" Ur-Agal announces, still pleased with his success.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry