New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1113
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: 3.5 Monk Campaign: A Boot to the Head (IC)

"What you are talking about isn't justice, but revenge." Vir-Sashi says calmy. "You are angry and sad and you think you can exclude those feelings by killing the one responsible. Who knows, maybe you can. But it won't bring your family back. Neither will it be an act of justice. True justice would be to catch these men and let them be judged by higher authority. Who are you or I to place ourselves above the majesty of kingdom and it's law, to take the right to judge others only by our own instinct? Or are you going to proclaim yourself a god and master of life and death?" Vir-Sashi manages to make this speech suprisingly easy. He remembers how his first teacher, man he owes becoming a monk and who recommeded him to be accepted into the Abbey, wise master Yago. "Seek not what you desire, but what brings smile on people's faces, for when everybody will be happy, even if you are suffering, their smiles shall ease your pain. That's the way of true Friend of Justice." He quotes master Yago and memories of the man makes him feel very happy and enlighted.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

"No worries Brother." Tilmek says with a smile. "It would be foolish of me to be upset with you for traveling taking time. What do you know of Master Brottor's new advisor?"
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Coanacoch and Necahual:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Yama pauses and stops reaching for Liddy's hand. "Oh?" He inquires with a calm expression. His eyes are sharp as he clings to Necahual's words. "Then it would seem we do have much to discuss." He returns to his position at Grandmaster Brottor's side.

Brottor looks at the girl with renewed interest. "An armored man, eh? Perhaps a soldier from Durgeddonvale?" He kneels to get eye level with Liddy. "Where are you from, girl?" His tone remains friendly, even familial, but there is an edge of concern and overeagerness to the question.

Liddy presses her lips tight and doesn't move or say a word.

Vir-Sashi and Kevin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kevin takes a bite of his fish and scoffs. "Nice words… and easy enough for you to say. Your family wasn't slaughtered while you were helpless to stop it. I saw you fight. If I had your strength… I'd tear whoever did this in half. You have the skill to kill monsters like these, yet you talk about smiling. Why did you learn all these skills if you just want to smile and make friends? I'd use them to kill people like the ones who killed my family so they couldn't hurt anyone else. Now that's a friend of justice."

You get the feeling this kid has a past that goes beyond his farm boy background. Something about the dark expression on his face hints at a very troubled youth.

Li and Tilmek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rassaphore Godwin brightens at the opportunity for friendly conversation. "He's a very talented wizard actually… the most powerful I've ever met, and a highly charismatic individual. Even those who shy away from magic users have given in to returning his friendly smiles. I dare say, I've never met a kinder fellow. It's always refreshing to meet someone who hasn't let such incredible power corrupt them."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

"If I may tell you that story, with my brother interjecting with his part in befriending the fey?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Coanacoch and Necahual:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Libby tugs on Necahual's and looks up at her nervously. If Necahual looks down, you can see that she is conspiratorially shaking her head "no." This is no game. You can tell that she is genuinely worried. She lets go of Coanacoch's hand and beckons for Necahual to come close enough for her to whisper.

Brottor and Yama look genuinely confused and curious.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual bends down to listen to Libby.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

"Quite nice indeed. It seems the Abbey is gaining some powerful friends." Tilmek says, obviously impressed.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Banned

Goblin

"Kid. Look me in the face and sai once again you would want to be me." Vir-Sashi takes down his hood, revealing hideous face of a monster. He let the book take a good look, before hiding it again. "You aren't the only one who had horrible things happened to him. I was kidnapped by Yuan-Ti, threw into their pit and transformed into hideous slave and footsoldier, they used as they wanted. No free will, no thoughs, my mind reduced to be obedient servant of snake people. I don't even remember my family, nor I know what happened with them. They probably were kidnapped with we and shared my fate. Don't know, couldn't recognize them if they jumped from a bush and kicked me in the face." He pauses for a moment. "Might doesn't make right. It's an easy way to think so, but only as long as you are the mighty. Do you think people who killed your family didn't have skills, maybe even beyond mine? if you would have my abilities and decide you can kill whoever you want, because you are the strongest, and the nfaced man who killed your family...and he would kill you...wouldn't that mean he was in the right? He was the strongest one. If the strongest are the justice, it's not really justice, but tyranny. Eye for an eye will result only in city of blind people."

9. - Top - End - #999
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Tilmek and Li:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rassaphore Godwin nods eagerly. "And never at a more fortuitous time. With Momaan here, he's the wizard, we've been able to prepare for what's to come." He leans in, keeping his voice low. "Rumors of war, you know… a terrible civil war that has started to pique the interest of the Duke of Urnst. Lord Scott has graciously offered a contingency of his troops to our abbey to help us fortify our defenses and protect the trade routes. They're on their way now, and should be here some time this evening. And while his help would be nice here, we have all the protection we need now that we have Momaan here. I'd rather see those soldiers join the front at Ogremeet, personally. Our casualties are growing every day, and we've received no promise of aid from Bakkak, even though they're the next closest target from Ogremeet. Dark times…"

Vir-Sashi and Kevin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kevin doesn't say anything. It's clear he's trying to resist the lesson, but he doesn't have anything to refute Vir-Sashi's wisdom. He finishes his meal in silence. And even after his meal is finished, he still doesn't make eye contact with Vir-Sashi. "So what's going to happen to me then?" He mumbles into his plate.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual looks at Libby sternly. "Now, this is no time for more of your make-believe stories. These men are very important men, and they do not brook foolishness in people of any age. Coanoch, please take her down."
    Current Games

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ogre in the Playground

Li finishes looking through the manual and sighs. Nothing he wants that he can afford at the moment. Best to wait until the abbey gives another mission and some funds to get anything. The news of the new advisor puts Li on edge noticeably to Tilmek.

All these events and the war happening are annoying to say the least. The thought of a new powerful mage joining the ranks is definitely unsettling to him. Remembering Cliffside and even the pact with the Verdant Prince. Too much is relying on magic and its effects, and so little on the efforts of man directly.

Li would rather be on the front lines defending the Abbey with his skill and own hands, than stand back and let someone else decimate the enemy with a few words and flicks of his hand. It just doesn't feel right to him.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Colossus in the Playground

"Are you sure?" asks Coanoch.

When Necahual nods her head he turns to the masters. "It's okay, Brother Yama, she's scared of strangers, but she's comfortable with me. I'd be happy to take her down and help her get comfortable with the other children. I might entertain them with stories of forest wonders while I'm there."

He beams down to Libby, mussing her hair, "C'mon, after watching you trying to imitate Vir-Sashi and Li, watching other monks might just blow your mind."

As he turns to leave, faced away from the masters, he catches the eye of his sister.

He will probably never see her again.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-02-24 at 05:52 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Coanacoch and Necahual:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Libby looks to Necahual as they leave the room. "No! Nooo! Come with me!" She pleads as they leave the room and the door slams behind Coanacoch and Libby.

Coanacoch and Libby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The hall is empty at the moment, but Libby looks frantic as she is guided toward the commons. "We have to help Neck-a-hall." she pleads to Coanacoch once they're out of immediate earshot of the grandmaster's chambers. "We have to! We have to help her!"

Necahual:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Yama and Grandmaster Brottor observe the scene with patient expressions. "I'm sure she'll be fine," Master Yama explains in a calming tone. "She trusts you, and that is good."

Brottor seems less calm, "If soldiers have already infiltrated the woods, then using that region for guerilla defense may already be out of the question. I'm glad to have you back, Necahual, but we have deadly, time-sensitive issues to discuss. What did you learn from the bandits while you were there? And did you successfully contact the fey?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Banned

Goblin

"What do you mean?" Vir-Sahsi asks. "If you mean right now, the Abbey will try to help you as we try to help all other victims of the attack. If you mean about your futher future, it's up to you. We would be happe if you stayed here, at least I would, but you are free to follow any path you choose. We won't force you to live here against your will."

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Vir-Sashi:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kevin nods.

"I guess I'll stay then. I've got nowhere else to go."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    Master Yama and Grandmaster Brottor observe the scene with patient expressions. "I'm sure she'll be fine," Master Yama explains in a calming tone. "She trusts you, and that is good."

Brottor seems less calm, "If soldiers have already infiltrated the woods, then using that region for guerilla defense may already be out of the question. I'm glad to have you back, Necahual, but we have deadly, time-sensitive issues to discuss. What did you learn from the bandits while you were there? And did you successfully contact the fey?"
    "Yes, Grandmaster," says Necahual very evenly, "very time-sensitive."

There is a silence as she breathes once. "Yes, I learned from both parties that a man by the name of Remus Manon is a power-hungry man that is likely the one pushing the evil-kin to attack, even if it is from the pressing of someone higher up."

"The real time-sensitive question has nothing to do with bandits or fey," she says in measured tones. "Why was Remus Manon here just now? Libby recognized him positively from her time in the bandit camp. And please, the master who would claim, I beg you not to doubt the innocence of a child so frightened of this man."
    Current Games

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Colossus in the Playground

Coanoch says to her, "It's okay. It's dangerous, but I think I know what she's going to do. I want you to be a brave girl now, let's just stay here. When I tell you to, and only then, I want you to scream as loud and as long as you can, okay?

"Just quiet for now, but then when I prompt. There's a brave girl,"
    he finishes with a hug, and one as much for him as well.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Necahual:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grandmaster Brottor blinks, then his face twists into an expression of confusion as he turns to Master Yama, who's smile is completely gone. Brottor snorts through his nose. It's a gesture you've come to recognize as his expression of frustration or disappointment. But this time, the snort seems to be for himself.

"The spellcaster. Raime Momaan… Remus Manon. Damn" He uncrosses his arms and scowls deeply. "Necahual, if you're right about this, then I have made a fatal error and our monastery faces the same fate that Cliffside Vale suffered. If you're wrong about this, then we will soon confront and interrogate a man who has only done everything and more to rebuild the strength of this abbey. So I urge you to consider the veracity of your claims. I trust you as one of our own. Your eyes, ears, and heart are the abbey's. If you have any doubt, I must know now."

Coanacoch and Libby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Libby nods and swallows some of her fear. But her eyes dart around constantly as if she were in a lion's den. You hear a shuffling down the hall and Libby's eyes dart to the source of the sound. She scurries closer to Coanacoch, almost as if she were trying to crawl inside him to hide. The sound becomes clearer as a booted foot and a scraping, clacking sound. Then a familiar face comes around the corner… green and reptilian. Vir-Sashi is coming, with Kevin in tow.

Libby puts a finger to her lips and gestures for them to be quiet. Vir-Sashi and Kevin immediately crouch low, recognizing by the terrified expression on Libby's face and the concerned expression on Coanacoch's that this is not a game. Kevin pulls his dagger.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

"Because of multiple sources and an eyewitness," says Necahual, "I have no doubt."
    Current Games

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

"Things aren't going well at Ogremeet?" Tilmek says obviouslly saddened by the thought of more deaths. Noticing Li's tension, he adds "Whats wrong Li?"

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

Li looks to Tilmek.It is nothing much. Just know, I don't like our current position in things. The end result of the mission, the new advisor, memories of Cliffside. All of it is adding up, and I am not sure if I would rather be here or on the front lines. Keep your guard up Tilmek. Too much is hanging on magic and too little on man. We may be put in worse situations than in the forest soon, and I hope we can all make it having eachothers' backs.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Necahual:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grandmaster Brottor sets his jaw firm as he nods. "Necahual, mention this to no one. I will send an escort to intercept our guest and bring him in for questioning, but I don't want to risk him fleeing or attacking before we're prepared to handle the situation. This abbey still has an anti-magic chamber. I'd like to get him in there without suspicion before he overhears any gossip or inquiry. Master Yama," Brottor heads to a chest, opens it and pulls out a scroll with red handles, you recognize it as an emergency protocol scroll… a list of pre-written final instructions from the grandmaster that involve fortifying, evacuation, and in worst case scenario, destruction, of the abbey. He thrusts it at Master Yama, who bows reverently as he receives the instructions. "Go now and assemble an escort to meet in the council chamber."

With controlled haste, Master Yama breezes past Nacahual, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder as he passes by. There is a strange sadness in his eyes as he passes.

Grandmaster Brottor sits and closes his eyes in meditation… one of the few times you've ever seen him actually sit. "Necahual, you are dismissed." He takes a deep breath through his bulbous nose, then breathes out through his mouth, calm and quiet as if you'd already left the room.

Coanacoch, Vir-Sashi, Kevin and Libby:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Yama slips through the main door of Grandmaster Brottor's chamber holding a large scroll. He pauses when he sees everyone standing at the ready as if preparing for combat. Eyeing the group with a mix of suspicion and confusion, he quickly rebinds his monks sash to tie the scroll to his back.

"What is the meaning of this?"

Li and Tilmek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rassaphore Godwin puts away his stock and busily begins to clean. "Yes… the tragedy at Cliffside is why we're adopting magic into our Abbey. At first, I shared your trepidation about relying on arcane power, but once I got to meet Raime Momaan, I was truly impressed by his kind nature. Indeed, he's been a beacon of light for us. The entire monastery's attitude has improved. Perhaps we are leaning a little too hard on magic right now, but dark times call for desperate measures."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

"Master Yama," says Necahual, "before you go, please. Coanoch made a deal with the fey that they would provide military aid in time of crisis, but it involves a scroll. He might remember what that entails."
    Current Games

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

Li closes his eyes at the words of the clerk. Easy for him to say. He hasn't been out there recently. The destruction and traps left behind waiting for those who seek out survivors. He hasn't dealt with being sent to be food, or having his mind played with. His eyes haven't born witness to a pact unbreakable placed by one warned against trusting.

A slow breath passes through Li's gritted teeth.

Desperate measures would be arming our brothers and teaching to fight. Not having life go one like normal and letting them ponder the meaning behind existence. They would not be meditating and training at leisure. They should be forced to understand the pain of combat, and hardened against it. All of us should be ready to fight at a moment's notice and steeled to do it to the bitter end. We should be preaching to them on how best to guard one another, and how to fight as a unit.

If our enemies see fit to bring war to our doors, then we must all be ready to answer. Each of us from master to novice should be fighting, and in such a way that our enemy no longer wishes war. We should drive them back into the depths of the Abyss where they came from. Show them that while peaceful and calm, that we can rage and roar far more terrifyingly than any monster they have imagined. It is no longer time for olive branches and sermons, but instead blades and blood enough to grow a forest anew.

To be safe and placid in the future, we must crush and foam white now. Not with the aid of some outside mage turning it for us, but with the might and livelyhood of our own.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

Necahual says, "We are looking for a scroll kept by a mage that resides in the abbey. It has a pinhole on it, and cannot be torn."
    Current Games

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Necahual:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Brottor doesn't open his eyes. The room is uncomfortably quiet for a few long seconds.

"There are few who reside in this abbey that have some degree of casting ability. Punctured paper that cannot be torn, however is not an asset I am familiar with. We do not import or craft such items. Why do you require it?"

Li and Tilmek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oddly, Godwin seems to agree with Li, more or less as he nods at your speech. "Wise words. Grandmaster Brottor has already assembled the monks for war. But our forces are spread too thin. Without reinforcements, the battle at Ogermeet will soon end, with significant losses to our abbey. The trade routes are overrun with monstrous hordes, and our patrols are no longer enough to address all threats. Then there is the defense of the abbey. As our temple is being emptied to serve these needs, our abbey is left with gaping holes in its defenses that are easily exploited. We are no longer the haven we once were. Raime Momaan's magic, and the items he helps us craft are the only things that can fill those gaps. I, for one, wish to join the fight. But my master has refused my submission to be sent to Ogremeet. He claims my service is more beneficial here, managing the trade connections that will equip our soldiers for war." His cleaning has gotten more aggressive. You can see a hint of frustration and shame in his face.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ogre in the Playground

"Brother Godwin, there is no shame in doing your service here. Without your aid, I'm sure our missions would have failed when we lacked the required equipment. Besides, if your master thinks this is where you can do the most good then they are probably right. The title of master is not handed out to those who don't deserve it and we should allow ourselves to trust those who have earned it." Tilmek sighs and his shoulders slump. "Still, the news at Ogremeet does not bode well for any of us. After we finish have dealt with the aftermath of our mission to the fey I think we should go to Ogremeet." He looks up and says to Li, "If we can somehow turn the tide on the front lines then monks could come back here to focus on defending the abbey and begin alleviating our reliance on magic. Will you help me to convince the others?

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

"As a function of a bond between Coanoch and a third party, delivery of this scroll to that fey will ensure their military aid if and when Remus Manon makes his move."
    Current Games

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ogre in the Playground

Li clenches a fist as he takes a breath.

The front line is too wide to turn it. We need to have our brothers fall back and consolidate our forces into a smaller area to defend. I also get a feeling that our brothers are at a terrain disadvantage in this battle. Armies use cavalry and archers to take advantage of open areas. We would need to take these advantages away. Another fault is the honor we are taught to cling to. Fighting man to man and a fair odds get us killed. To win, we would need to cast that aside and attack in the night when our foe is vulnerable. We would need to be able to find and quickly kill the key men in their units. Not just general and officers, but the soldiers who have carried them and given them when they had none. Supply lines would need to be broken and routed.

All of these things are alien to our brothers. These concepts against our teachings. In short, we can not stay who we are, and still win this war. The abbey will not allow these changes for fear of losing its spirit and soul.

My joining the lines, or rallying with troops would yield us nothing. For what I can offer, we will not use.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

Tilmek's eyes grow thoughtful. He couldn't deny the wisdom in Li's words, but if they didnt retain at least some of their methods and beliefs, then was it even worth surviving? "Is there no middle ground? Can we not adopt such tactics and still maintain our tenants?" He says, his voice forlorn.