New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Picking daily powers

I've been DMing a bit with my brothers, and the druid is having some trouble picking daily powers. Right now, our group consists of:
    (all level 1; race, class, 'path', at-will powers, encounter power, daily power)

Half-orc, ranger, two-bladed fighting style, Twin strike+nimble strike, Two-fanged fighting, Jaws of the wolf. Extremely damage centered, usually just does whatever is the most useful(archery or melee). Picked bastard sword proficiency as his feat.

Dwarf, Warlord, Tactical presence, Warlord's strike+viper strike, (anvil strike, I think it's called), Lead the force. Picked craghammer proficiency. Quite honestly can be considered a leeroy jenkins.

Dragonborn, Fighter, One handed fighting style, Cleave+Tide of iron, Steel serpent strike, Villian's menace. Picked toughness as his feat. Doesn't have any specific tactic yet.

And the druid:

Elf, Druid, Predator, Savage rend+Grasping claws+Grasping tide, Thorn spray, ? . Picked pouncing form.

So, it's a damn melee centric group(they do have bow, javelin, javelin, and grasping tide, though). The druid wants to take either summon pack wolf or savage frenzy, since the first can use the group's mass melee tactics, while the second can be some burst damage, since he is pretty bad at that.

Feedback would be highly appriciated.
    Nope.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Picking daily powers

The Giant Toad is a good summon spell. Fog of Insects is also pretty useful, but I'd prefer the summon.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

The main problem with summon Giant toad is that while it has reach, it only does damage, whereas the pack wolf would be proning a lot.

I've never heard of fog of insects, what kind of power is that? (a close blast, I'd assume.)
    Nope.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the good point about the Toad is that it is very likely to attack on its own using its intrinsic action. The wolf needs to be standing next to an enemy for the intrinsic to do something useful.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

The druid could play the protector subclass from Heroes of the Feywild. It gives up wild shape (which can be gotten back through a feat) and the extra at-will power for primal attunment (basicly cantrips) and nature's growth (an encounter power that creates a zone of difficult terrain (to all but the caster) as a minor action that is modified by the druid's circle (wether he chooses predator or guardian))
    It also has its daily power locked to Summon Natural ally (unless you take the feat that gives you wild shape, then only the level 1 daily is locked to it) which is a pretty cool power that gets better as you level up.
    Amazing ponytar by Dirtytabs
    Larger Version:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd go for the Summon Toad. Not only is it a fair spell, but killing goblins with a giant toad is fun as heck.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

It's funny how the conversation suddenly changed from daily powers to primal paths.

Another question the druid player wanted to ask was: Apparently, multiclassing to a monk and taking a certain feat allows wild shape druids to gain reach 2 when using their MBAs. Assuming that is true, would that mean that repel charge can work when charging enemies get within 2 squares of them? and would that mean they basicly gain polearm gambit without granting CA/primal tiger's effect AW?
    Nope.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drglenn View Post
    The druid could play the protector subclass from Heroes of the Feywild.
    Yes, but I'm reasonably sure most Nature's Ally summons are crap.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lupian View Post
    So, it's a damn melee centric group(they do have bow, javelin, javelin, and grasping tide, though). The druid wants to take either summon pack wolf or savage frenzy, since the first can use the group's mass melee tactics, while the second can be some burst damage, since he is pretty bad at that.

Feedback would be highly appriciated.
    Buffing melee sounds good for he group you have. Picking up some control though might also be a good idea. I don't have all my books but I am pretty sure there are some good control dailies that would work well with that group

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmcrow View Post
    Buffing melee sounds good for he group you have. Picking up some control though might also be a good idea. I don't have all my books but I am pretty sure there are some good control dailies that would work well with that group
    Buffing as in giving other party members buffs or as in buffing his own melee?
    As for powers, he plans to be beast form most of the time, and take Thorn spray(enc), Warding wind(enc)' Predator flurry(enc), Vine serpents(daily), blood spray bite/charm beast(enc) and entangle(daily), which are all good control/offense abillities. Most of the damage comes from savage rend/grasping claws. Chances are that we'll end up with summon pack wolf until he picks up wold serpent's grasp.
    Nope.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lupian View Post
    Buffing as in giving other party members buffs or as in buffing his own melee?
    As for powers, he plans to be beast form most of the time, and take Thorn spray(enc), Warding wind(enc)' Predator flurry(enc), Vine serpents(daily), blood spray bite/charm beast(enc) and entangle(daily), which are all good control/offense abillities. Most of the damage comes from savage rend/grasping claws. Chances are that we'll end up with summon pack wolf until he picks up wold serpent's grasp.
    I meant both, if the group spends a lot of time in melee then anything which improves his allies or his ability to melee is good.

Those look like solid choices.