New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1456
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.5B: Taste the Rainbow (Story and Ending Discussion; Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    22) The Katamari Prince comes up and rolls all the Reapers, Allied Fleets, Earth, Citadel and the entire Sol System in his quest to make the biggest ball of Katamari ever.
    22a) The resulting stellar object ends up with a enormous size but a negative mass, because the ending not just lacks substance, but negates the substance that precedes it. This tragedy is so disheartening that it is what sends the King of the Cosmos on his original bender, resulting in the destruction of the galaxy... but also the creation of a fun and wacky franchise of games.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-30 at 02:29 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

smile Re: Mass Effect 3.5B: Taste the Rainbow (Story and Ending Discussion; Spoilers!)

23) As soon as The Catalyst shows up, the Citadel locks itself airtight. The Catalyst then heals Shepard's wounds using uhhhh nanomachines, and soon afterward the dazed and confused Shepard is met with a holographic representation of Harbringer, who is firing up a Fifties-Dad style laugh. Harbringer then jovially explains that all of the events in the games were a part of the Reapers' secret and sacred test to see if Shepard was worthy of being Taskmaster's babysitter, as they had grown tired of the little guy's wailing about the nature of reality and were beginning to miss the intergalactic nightlife. Shepard responds to this with confused babbling as The Catalyst hugs its new daddy/mommy, overjoyed that someone might actually care what it says. Harbringer gives Shepard a list of emergency numbers and the Reapers wave goodbye, leaving the galaxy in peace and Shepard trapped forever.

The End!

EDIT: Sorry for the brief triple post there. Technology and my own incompetence conspired against me.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2012-04-30 at 03:07 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.5B: Taste the Rainbow (Story and Ending Discussion; Spoilers!)

24) Shepard listens to the Catalyst then shakes her head and says "Genociding boys don't get to pick how it ends" picks him up and puts him in a corner for a 'time out'. He finally breaks down and Shepard promises that if he learned his lesson the vid feeds from Shaira's can be turned back on and she'll get him some ice cream as long as he promises not to reap ever again.

25) The Scooby gang crashes into the Citadel in the Mystery Machine and pull the mask off the catalyst to reveal it was Corporal Jenkins this whole time. He just wanted to make people on Eden Prime think he was a hero but it all spun out of control. But it could have worked if it wasn't for that meddling Spectre and her Turian too.

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    I'll play along Aotrs.

As Shepard meekly debates with Starchild about the merits of the choices laid out before him, he receives a tweet on his status update. Using his molten cell phone, Shepard reads:

"@CmdrShep

QQ Sheprd srsly at least u dont get turned into a worm to save the galaxy!

#LetoAtredeis"
    And there is a reason I stopped reading those books too. Golden path my foot.
    Last edited by Derthric; 2012-04-30 at 03:06 PM.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derthric View Post

And there is a reason I stopped reading those books too. Golden path my foot.
    I found it really hard to take his arguments seriously having read Foundation previously. Setting up all of that galactic discord to ensure a couple thousand years of peace seemed irrelevant compared to Asimov's scale.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    It occurs to me there is a distinct lack of Silly in this thread, and we could all (me included) do with lightening it up a touch in between our arguments...
    Honestly, within the same vein I'm quite surprised that there doesn't seem to be a meme created about how often Commander Shepherd just plain falls off'f things in ME3.

I mean, seriously.... By the time I'd reached the Geth Dreadnought I'd seen the guy land on his head more times than I can remember. He did it on Mars, he did it on Rannoch, and a few more besides. Dude's just careless
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #1176

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    That right there is why I won't be buying any more Bioware games until they've received good reviews. Any developer that could have their priorities that messed up doesn't deserve day 1 purchasing.
    The problem with this logic is that Bioware games will inevitably receive glowing reviews. If they shat in a box and released it as a game at least one reviewer would give the smell 10/10.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Dwarf in the Playground

24) After Harbinger's beam strikes shepard down, he wakes up in an STG Operating room on Sur'Kesh. It turns out that all the events of Mass Effect 2 & 3 were all a coma-dream while the Salarians, not Cerberus rebuilt Shepard. And the lead scientist of the project is one Doctor Mordin Solus...after all, someone else might've gotten it wrong.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    I found it really hard to take his arguments seriously having read Foundation previously. Setting up all of that galactic discord to ensure a couple thousand years of peace seemed irrelevant compared to Asimov's scale.
    I've read and enjoyed both. Going on a slight derail here:
    Spoiler
    Show

The way I interpreted Dune (at least books 1-4) was the Golden Path of Humanity required an Atreides to become a sandworm to guide the galaxy for two thousand years. Paul wasn't willing to do it, so the burden fell to his son.

The main problem with the Dune universe is the impact of prophets on the Universe. One guy, Paul Atreides, managed to cause an entire global wide revolution/jihad that killed billions, because he could glimpse into the future.

The Golden Path that the Atreides ended up pursing was one that freed humanity from being a slave to the future-seeing prophets. Thanks to the genetic breeding over his two thousand year reign, Leto created a line of humans that were invisible to the future vision. The end, mankind is saved from the shackles of precognition. (I have no idea what was happening in books 5-6 and I refuse to read anything by the son).

For Hari Seldon, Asimov revisited Foundation a couple decades after he wrote the first trilogy and I got thoroughly confused because the Seldon Plan ended abruptly in year 500 and then robots entered the mix. The first trilogy was pretty awesome though.

For those who didn't read either book, be glad we don't have to wait decades before we get a conclusion.
    Last edited by Joran; 2012-04-30 at 04:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I've read and enjoyed both. Going on a slight derail here:
    Spoiler
    Show

The way I interpreted Dune (at least books 1-4) was the Golden Path of Humanity required an Atreides to become a sandworm to guide the galaxy for two thousand years. Paul wasn't willing to do it, so the burden fell to his son.

The main problem with the Dune universe is the impact of prophets on the Universe. One guy, Paul Atreides, managed to cause an entire global wide revolution/jihad that killed billions, because he could glimpse into the future.

The Golden Path that the Atreides ended up pursing was one that freed humanity from being a slave to the future-seeing prophets. Thanks to the genetic breeding over his two thousand year reign, Leto created a line of humans that were invisible to the future vision. The end, mankind is saved from the shackles of precognition. (I have no idea what was happening in books 5-6 and I refuse to read anything by the son).

For Hari Seldon, Asimov revisited Foundation a couple decades after he wrote the first trilogy and I got thoroughly confused because the Seldon Plan ended up ending abruptly in year 500 and then robots entered the mix. The first trilogy was pretty awesome though.

For those who didn't read either book, be glad we don't have to wait decades before we get a conclusion.
    Hmm. Now that I think about it, the options of Trevise seem to correspond pretty well conceptually to Mass Effect's endings.

He was given the option by a moon robot to choose: Another empire ruled like the first, which would eventually collapse into the same sort of anarchy, only to be rebuilt again, the option to allow the all-knowing psychics to rule as a oligarchy, breaking the imperial cycle, or to unite every human in the galaxy into one peacefully coexisting hive mind. At least it's portrayed as a necessary evil there.

I knew there was a reason I innately despised Synthesis...

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    13 through 18
    Bwahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    19. As #10, but Optimus insists on sacrificing his life to save the galaxy. After hours of spirited debate with Shepard and the Reapers convincing him that this is, in fact, entirely unnecessary, Optimus concedes...

...then when everyone lets their guard down, Optimus runs to the Crucible to martyr himself, jumping into the beam and inadvertently picking Synthesis.

And then everyone was an Autobot.
    Except the Krogan, who were Dinobots. (Because, C'mon, Wrex is totally like Grimlock. (Well, comics Grimlock any road.))

Also Bwahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Derthric View Post
    25) The Scooby gang crashes into the Citadel in the Mystery Machine and pull the mask off the catalyst to reveal it was Corporal Jenkins this whole time. He just wanted to make people on Eden Prime think he was a hero but it all spun out of control. But it could have worked if it wasn't for that meddling Spectre and her Turian too.
    Bwahahahaha!

Also, that explains sooo much! "Shields failed" my boney arse! Clever, Jenkins, clever!

And showing great minds think alike, before I'd even seen the ending one of my hypothetical ending was similar, only it was Harbinger and Turian Senator Sparatus...

27: Just as Shepard is about to choose, Mordin bursts in! He was found by the Krogan in the ruins, a Salarian barely alive. They had the technology to rebuilt him. Stronger, faster, better than he was before. Mordin Solus is the Six Billion Credit Salarian!

He beats the Reapers to a pulp in slow motion while making chchchchchchch sounds as Shepard and the Catalyst gape in astoundment.

28: Just as Shepard is about to choose, monkeys!

11. - Top - End - #1181

#29: Shepard listens to the Star Child's screed, then demands: "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?" He proceeds to turn his fist into a drill and punch right through the Star Child, causing all the Reapers to die as he spontaneously manifests star-shaped sunglasses.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    "@CmdrShep

QQ Sheprd srsly at least u dont get turned into a worm to save the galaxy!

#LetoAtredeis"
    Can I sig this? Please please please please please? *puppy eyes*
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

13. - Top - End - #1183

GnomeWizardGuy

#30: Big twist at the end is that Anderson turns out to be behind the Reapers. Shepard can choose to rule at his side or engage in an epic Paragon/Renegade interrupt fist fight for control of the galaxy.

14. - Top - End - #1184

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Can I sig this? Please please please please please? *puppy eyes*
    You have my blessing. Go forth and be merry.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

15. - Top - End - #1185

DwarfClericGuy

#31 At the last second the real chosen one appears. Anakin Skywalker, only its the 9 year old idiot version(as opposed to the older whiney idiot version). And he challenges the Catalyst to a Pod-Race. Catalyst looses and Watto takes the Catalyst as a new slave. Meanwhile Shep just stands there and says "needs more dewbacks and random droids in the background"

#32 Just before Shepard chooses Slim Pickens comes in riding reverse on an A-Bomb and destroys the world.

#33 Shepard suddenly remembers that Javik said that Protheans were Ticklish and leaps on the Prothean-Reaper and tickles away forcing it to fire randomly. The casualties are high on both sides but eventually only the one reaper remains and it cries uncle.

#34 Shepard just stares at the Catalyst starting a staring contest. The Catalyst blinks first and loses, because his appearance was too human. Shepard then calls Triple Dog Dare for the Catalyst to tell the reapers to play hide and seek in dark space. Once they are gone, Shepard kills the Catalyst with his Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with the thing that tells time in the stock.

16. - Top - End - #1186

MindFlayer

#35 Just as Shepard is about to decide, Emily Wong crashes a shuttlecraft into the Starkid. She hops out, pushes the Destroy button, and then slaps Shepard in the face, saying 'You OWE me an interview!'

#36 Just as Shepard is about to decide, Gianna Parasini turns up and arrests the Starkid for using technology that was banned under intergalactic convention. She says, 'Damn, I love taking down these sparkling collar criminals,' gives Shepard a peck on the cheek and says 'This is worth more than a beer, right?' and wanders off.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

17. - Top - End - #1187

#37. What was thought to be the Crucible was instead a clever ruse put together by Hackett. It turns out that the Crucible plans found on Mars were actually only architectural schematics to add prime real estate housing to the Citadel for the upper crust of the galaxy. He played the galaxy with false leads and information, making even The Illusive Man believe that the Crucible was indeed the crux to the galactic counter-offensive.

The real super weapon, devised this cycle, was being made in the Krogan DMZ...

...enter the Thresher maw Cannon.

Upon arrival, everyone on earth puts on sun glasses and lights up a cigar.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Spamalot in the Playground

*pops in*

So apparently Tricia Helfer (aka EDI) has confirmed additional voice work for Extended Cut. I'm stoked.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program.

*pops out*
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    *pops in*

So apparently Tricia Helfer (aka EDI) has confirmed additional voice work for Extended Cut. I'm stoked.

*pops out*
    On the other hand: Jenifer Hale has confirmed Shepard has no extra lines.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Wut?

How exactly can they do an extended cut of the ending without giving Shepard any extra lines? Are they not touching anything before her death or something?

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

*pops in*

*pops out*
    Who wants to bet now that they're getting EDI to narrate the ending now?

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Eh?

Where'd you get that?

Heard something about no extra lines yet earlier, but nothing about never. Catch something I missed?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Wut?

How exactly can they do an extended cut of the ending without giving Shepard any extra lines? Are they not touching anything before her death or something?

Zevox
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Eh?

Where'd you get that?

Heard something about no extra lines yet earlier, but nothing about never. Catch something I missed?
    I don't have the link, but she did an interview sometime last week where she was insistant that there were no extra lines for Shepard.

I guess all the extra lines are to clear up / give closure to the other characters (like WHY Joker flies off, and what happened to other characters).

Remember, this is not a CHANGED ending, it is an EXPANDED ending. Bioware never said they were changing anything, just explaining and giving closure.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-05-02 at 02:30 AM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

24. - Top - End - #1194

I don't have the link, but she did an interview sometime last week where she was insistant that there were no extra lines for Shepard.
    The only Hale interview I saw was right after EC was announced, not last week. She did mention no new lines then, but Gamble subsequently tweeted "all that is in the works." Got a link?

I will assume that Shep will have more to say unless proven otherwise.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-05-02 at 02:49 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Titan in the Playground

The only Hale interview I saw was right after EC was announced, not last week. She did mention no new lines then, but Gamble subsequently tweeted "all that is in the works." Got a link?

I will assume that Shep will have more to say unless proven otherwise.
    I am trying to find the link, but it is difficult since I am at work. I admit I don't know if the interview was last week, but the ARTICLE about it was last week. I just can't remember what website it was from...

26. - Top - End - #1196

GnomeWizardGuy

Remember, this is not a CHANGED ending, it is an EXPANDED ending. Bioware never said they were changing anything, just explaining and giving closure.
    It's why I'm going to skip the ending DLC unless I hear it's particularly good. If it's merely EDI explaining how she marries Joker and eventually gives birth to Buzz Aldrin, I can get by with watching it on YouTube.

27. - Top - End - #1197

DwarfClericGuy

I remember there being an article about a month ago with Hale saying she had not yet been contacted about any work. But that was at the beginning of April just after they announced the EC. However I know Bioware has said she and Meer are contracted for DLC on ME and for her even more work for TOR. So both are on their speed dial.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    It's why I'm going to skip the ending DLC unless I hear it's particularly good. If it's merely EDI explaining how she marries Joker and eventually gives birth to Buzz Aldrin, I can get by with watching it on YouTube.
    It is FREE, you know.
    Personally I am doing the opposite; I refuse to start playing the game before the DLC is installed .

29. - Top - End - #1199

Potential DLC spoiler warning:

So apparently Admiral Xen had a pretty crazy quest that was cut from the game (or is yet to be added, via DLC etc.) She conducts AI experiments to try and develop an AI-eating virus to fight the reapers, using Geth remnants if they were destroyed or live Geth if you secured peace. Because AI research is still illegal, you would have have to give her Spectre authorization to trigger it.

The problem is that after she starts, she apparently goes overboard, experimenting on other things with Reaper tech including the Citadel itself. You are then forced to apprehend or kill her, and if the Geth survived there is a chance she will heavily harm their war asset with her virus in what appears to be a bid to retake control of them.

What's really interesting is some of the dialogue she apparently has with Tali, including a saucy line about her "induction filter getting popped" that I could easily hear coming from Space Morrigan.

Interested to hear any thoughts.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #1200

GnomeWizardGuy

smile Re: Mass Effect 3.5B: Taste the Rainbow (Story and Ending Discussion; Spoilers!)

It is FREE, you know.
    It costs time. If it's only going to embellish the post-game sequences rather than fix the larger problems, it isn't worth it. (Edit: For me anyway, YMMV.)

And if it's only going to be superficial, I'm not that sure why they're bothering with the DLC. It might even do more damage. While I appreciate better closure for the game, my issue with the whole thing is that Bioware has apparently forgotten how to tell a game story. If they do the same thing again and Casey Hudson says it's all fixed, it's only going to make that issue worse. If Bioware doesn't know what it did wrong, they're going to keep doing it in their next games.

Personally I am doing the opposite; I refuse to start playing the game before the DLC is installed .
    If you haven't played the game yet or are planning a replay though, this is sensible.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-05-02 at 06:25 AM.