New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Tower of God: an Infinite Canvas comic from Korea

I'd decided to not post when the RAWs go up, normally, but man, today's update was awesome, even if I don't understand what they are saying.

Spoiler
    Show
    The soda can was indeed a trick but I never imagined it to allow that creepy green guy to take over Yeon, I loved that.

Even better is watching the third fight between Love and Viole. As expected, Viole is stealing the techniques Love used in round two but it also looks like he's about to win a fight with an actual Ranker. So awesome. Even though I know how powerful Viole is, beating a ranker should still be beyond anyone that has only been using Shinsoo for 2 years or so.

But then, the most shocking twist of all is saved for the end when that Devil Arm guy wakes up. Perhaps mind controlled like Yeon? Is he a zombie or was Prince being lied to when he was told the guy was dead? In any case Prince now has two really powerful people out for his blood. Bwahaha.

Wonderful update, can't wait to read the translation.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Translations up...

<repeats on a loop to self> Never trust SIU. He trolls. In a good way. Mostly. Never trust SIU... </loop>

Why on earth did she drink the drink? Why? It was so transparent! Please tell me it was so transparent?

Spoiler
    Show
    And, thanks for the rules lawyering, SIU: however, I thought Lurker well... lived up to his name and lurked in the room somehow, so dismissed it. And, also thought even a rock would have the common sense to check for a pulse, before taking another's word for it. Prince is an idiot.

In unrelated news (and, totally unspoilered, as, if you didn't see it coming, you were not watching the road): Yeon joins the cue of girls with a crush on Viole. How does he do it?

Which is a question we're probably all not very surprised that Love is also asking himself. For different reasons.
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-05-31 at 03:59 AM.
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Euodiachloris View Post
    Why on earth did she drink the drink? Why? It was so transparent! Please tell me it was so transparent?
    She's innocent, sheltered, and privileged -- she's just not used to people trying to take advantage of her (and until now, I'd assume she was able to coast on the ridiculous power she inherited as the privileged child of one of the twelve families, so she never really had to think about it.)

Look at what she thinks about Baam -- even though he basically said he wants to murder the entire government, right in front of her (and she has no reason to think that this is might be justified, at least not with her background), she thinks that he might not be a bad person because he doesn't have a "bad guy's face" and because he oh-so-graciously didn't murder her when he had the chance. That is... stupid.

Although she didn't say it, I'll bet the reason she trusted Prince (despite the horrible way he's treated her in the past) comes down to the same thing. He's from a wealthy family. He's well-dressed. He's got a polite, reasonably cute non-monstrous face. To Yeon, these things make him trustworthy, even after everything she's seen about him, even though she has had more than enough chances to realize he's scum.

It's possible she's also grateful to him for bursting in and trying to stop Baam earlier, even though he wasn't doing it for her. And ultimately, while he's been a bit of a jerk to her, he hasn't done anything horrible to her until now -- she wouldn't really have any reason to think he's going to poison her. Not everyone in the test is ruthless the way Androssi was. A lot of them just interact with people the way we would in the real world.

The author said that she's supposed to be another foil to Androssi, I think, and you can see that here -- picture how Androssi, who actually had to work for her position, would have reacted to these things, and you rapidly get a sense of just how sheltered and idealistic Yeon is.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2012-05-31 at 06:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Oh, I don't think she's that bad. If it was that easy to fool her, those two would have offered it themselves. Plus, it was an unopened can. That means that the liquid wasn't tampered with, at least.

Plus, Viole does give out an oddly non-violent vibe. He also didn't try and dominate her after he "won" her from Prince. Other characters have picked up on it too. Plus, it WOULD be easier to kill them all. The fact that he didn't kill Prince means that he would be going directly for the ranker (otherwise he would have to kill prince to win).

I had assumed that as a member of the Ten Families, she would be steeped in politics, like Koon was, seems most of the powerful members deal a lot with betrayal and such but I suppose she could be innocent, as you suggest. Certainly Androssi would have been more on guard.

I'm kinda let down about RapDevil being alive. I mean, I wanted him to not die quite yet until he had shown Viole his arm but it wasn't a big deal. I have no idea why all of Prince's servants are working to screw him over though.

I also don't get this whole can't leave the room thing as being a clue to RapDevil being alive because I haven't seen any sign of this rule being inforced. What, exactly prevents both people from being able to leave the room. What happens when someone dies in the room? Is the other person teleported back to the room? SIU implies that it's not just a rule but an enforced rule and I haven't seen how it's enforced.

And for Viole's reason for climbing the tower? Man up Baam, she needs to die.

Seriously!

PS. Hey Euo, how long have you been reading ToG for anyway? Let me tell you, I am so frikken relieved that I started AFTER the end of book 1 so that I could find out Rachel's reasoning to her betrayal right away. Man, that was such a brutal ending.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-05-31 at 08:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

When you think about it, it actually wouldn't be easier to kill them all, because half of them are hanging out in the rooms, out of his reach.

For my part, I started reading just before the end of book 1. So most of Rachel's motivations had been shown.
    Last edited by Gilphon; 2012-05-31 at 11:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    PS. Hey Euo, how long have you been reading ToG for anyway? Let me tell you, I am so frikken relieved that I started AFTER the end of book 1 so that I could find out Rachel's reasoning to her betrayal right away. Man, that was such a brutal ending.
    I first picked it up in the in the 30s. Can't remember exactly which strip I caught the publication up with, but it was certainly around the time Baam was healing after the Crown Game. Sorry. This is why I'm kinda used to the week-to-week wanting to both kiss and kick SIU (and, periodically, sighing and going through the archives, yet again, to see what I hadn't picked up on when it finally bites). But, he still darned well sucker punches me. Git.

I might complain, but, to be honest, I consider him waaaaay better at it than, e.g. Tite Kubo is. When something does happen, there have usually been hints of it before. If you were looking. Sometimes, way before.

About Yeon: I also thought that as a member of one of the Ten Families, she'd have a little more wariness when approached by smiling twerps bearing gifts. There's being sheltered as you grow up, and then there's being sheltered and not being taught anything you'll need to know to swim in political waters. What gives? Any of the Koons we've met would fall over laughing inside if faced by such a transparent ploy (although might have risked faking a swig in the hopes of gaining info). Or would have blown up.

About the take-over technique: I probably wasn't entirely wrong about the disguises, earlier, was I? Taking over others and using them would rather count as a "disguise". And, I suspect that is what we saw with the goons Prince brought with him. Raises the question: how many people can be controlled at once, to what extent, and what are the effects if you push the technique too far? And, are we talking a relative of Ren's here... 'cos I doubt it's him. It can't be, right? Um.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wot, nobody else mentioned the update, yet?

And, if you saw that coming, I'm a sloth. Only one phrase cuts it: OMG.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nope, didn't see it coming at all, but then when it comes to picking up on the subtle clues in this story I really am a sloth.

All numbers are grammatically correct

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

I had a vague sense that something was off about him after his weird expression in the last chapter.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I really do think that SIU was overestimating his fans by thinking they'd catch it. I mean, I didn't see it coming and I was hoping something like that would happen.

Figuring out how to properly balance subtlety and foreshadowing isn't easy, after all.

Still, the best twist is one that you could've seen coming a mile away, but didn't.

11. - Top - End - #71

A betrayal was expected at some point (is this ToG? Then someone will betray the lead. It's a rule) and he was the only other protagonist character besides Wangman to show up before entering the Tower. It was suspicious that he would just show up in the 20th level after meeting Wangman hours earlier, especially since he and Lurker were seen together when shown for the first time. SIU has a tendency to have people working for others in contests, so this is a natural paring.

I'm also impressed with Lurker here. I thought it was REALLY weird how he seemed like such a wuss ever since we came inside the tower. He was extremely scary when we first met him but inside the Tower, he's all nervous around Viole (not that he shouldn't be, but still), busy licking the Prince's boots and actually seeming like he wasn't such a bad guy after all.

All an act, I suspected it would be. This guy is really good at playing his cards right. He pretended to be that way until he got in a good position to take over and now he's back to being the evil leader I expect of someone that is constantly gathering up the 20th level failures and harvesting their organs.

Still, it was an upsetting update, I'm glad it's over. SIU really went to town to make the kid as sympathetic as possible before brutally killing him off. Why not just make the kid bad and kill him? Would have saved lots of panels for someone who's time in the comic is finished.

I'm really excited about the author's comments in particular. Only 3 updates till the floor is over and then we get to see some big repercussions as a result AND the book 1 team. So much to read every week. Great job SIU!
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-06-07 at 08:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

A betrayal was expected at some point (is this GoG? Then someone will betray the lead. It's a rule) and he was the only other protagonist character besides Wangman to show up before entering the Tower.
    It wasn't so much the betrayal that came as a shock: those are happening right, left and centre. So, yeah: I'm expecting the floor-plan to do a betrayal, next. (Actually, that is doable.)

It's what happened after that, that... came as a bit of a shock. Lurker is a worse boss to have than Prince is: and that is saying something.

And, I'd agree with your sentiments that SIU really pulled the stops out on this one. Edge of my seat? Yes. Want more? Hell, yes! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

13. - Top - End - #73

Prince is an arrogant kid that has coasted a bit because of his father and Shinsoo skill, Lurker has been in this business for years and has worked his way up to becoming the head enforcer that goes around collecting failed tower people so he can cut them up for organ sales.

I never really questioned which one was worse.

My main surprise is that that since we lost a member for Team Wagman (which I expected), suddenly Prince is looking like he's going to be the replacement. I was really hoping it would be RapDevil. Now, the best I can hope for is that Viole is the one that beats Rap down instead. It would be nice if he could do that for Hatsu.

I've also been wondering on the timing of Viole starting the 20th level test. I'm beginning to think that he's been waiting here for awhile and that he started now because Team Bitch that needs to die Rachel just recently passed the 20th level themselves. Perhaps that is why we are going to run into book 1 team soon after this test is done.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-06-07 at 08:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

I've also been wondering on the timing of Viole starting the 20th level test. I'm beginning to think that he's been waiting here for awhile and that he started now because Team Bitch that needs to die Rachel just recently passed the 20th level themselves. Perhaps that is why we are going to run into book 1 team soon after this test is done.
    I like to think that Viole got ahead of them by accident and has to wait for them to catch up
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    I like to think that Viole got ahead of them by accident and has to wait for them to catch up
    I think Koon is on the case (and, doubting our dear Rachel): he split the team up, apparently, to go at different paces. It's mainly due to safety: too large a team of over-powerful (and infamous) people, and it'd be targeted by both rankers on Zahard's side (hoping to kill Anak and/or Androssi to put their own candidate forward in the newly opened space) and other teams of regulars (trying to get rid of dangerous competition). They'd face loss due to attrition, if nothing else.

That, and, if he has started to doubt Baam's death... he could be trying for a pincer manouver: have Hatsu and the dangerous girls go first with a few (to make a loud noise), and the others sneak up. If Baam moves after hearing about the loud group, he could be surprised by the quiet. Well, even if not deliberate, it could be what happens.

With two lightbringers on board, this kind of co-ordinated party split is doable. (That is, if you can bring yourself to trust either of them. Koon, for all his strengths, is still dodgy. And, then there's Rachel...)

I wish I could show you the page, but it's been removed. Here's the Batoto forum thread that discusses it.

For a similar thread at Mangafox: here. Warning: here be a world of foil caps and weird translations.

Needless to say: beware SIU and his trolling trolly self. He could be yanking collective chains. Oh -- and the Chinese whispers don't help, either. Until it's fleshed out in the actual story, it's not cannon. Which is why I didn't bother spoilering anything: tin-hat guesses don't always deserve windows.
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-06-09 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Found a related thread in Mangafox...

16. - Top - End - #76

*jaw drops*

Holy Jeez, Euo. If this is/becomes cannon, it's huge! I would have loved to have seen that conversation added into the story proper.

Thanks a lot for bringing it out.

Also, I remembered when I started reading this comic. It was beginning of April. You have no idea how many times I kept looking at the last update before I finally read the forums enough to get that I had been April Fooled by SIU with that Tower of Gold.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

*jaw drops*

Holy Jeez, Euo. If this is/becomes cannon, it's huge! I would have loved to have seen that conversation added into the story proper.

Thanks a lot for bringing it out.

Also, I remembered when I started reading this comic. It was beginning of April. You have no idea how many times I kept looking at the last update before I finally read the forums enough to get that I had been April Fooled by SIU with that Tower of Gold.
    No problem: it was something that had to be shared.

Even when he does troll us, SIU does it with a vague purpose behind it: the actual conversation might not come up in the main story at all. But, this way, people will be looking for clues to it. And, probably, missing others they should be looking out for. Misdirection just screams him, doesn't it?

That, and possible beta-testing.

And, about the Tower of Gold: aww. You were such a poor, sweet, deluded fool back then. (I only picked up on it when I saw it, as I was just a little bit more used to SIU by then). There's a really good reason why he can write characters like Koon, Rachel and Lurker, you know...

18. - Top - End - #78

Translation is up. Took a bit longer then usual but it's up.

Wang fulfills his destiny and becomes the protagonist in truth with this little move, I think. Lurker follows the traditional super villain route and reveals his entire plan BEFORE it's completed. Normally, I would take this as a matter of course but SIU likes to troll... I can't help but wonder if Lurker has an ulterior motive here. We know that he did a lot of acting when he first showed up in the tower. Perhaps his fear of Viole was also an act or, at least, exaggerated? Maybe he wants Wangman to bring Viole for a confrontation?

Also, RapDevil is pwning Prince, as expected.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-06-16 at 12:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

<totally takes away the wrong message from the strip>

Do not underestimate the power of the humble chilli-pepper. That is all.

Spoiler
    Show
    (To be fair, I think Viole skipped smartly to one side due to previous trauma, rather than the chilli-powder, but, hey... Love was caught flat-footed due to no experience of the same. )
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-06-16 at 05:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Update is out!

And, I so totally miscalled the chilli-pepper. But, I don't mind one bit. Read and see why. It's just awesome. And, check out that artwork. (But, ignore a few... proportional issues. And, SIU's issues with left and right, again. )
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-06-21 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Typing Without Due Care and Attention

21. - Top - End - #81

I always knew the tower was hardcore but this really confirms it. As long as it's during a sanctioned game period, you can do whatever the hell you want to others. Kill them, torture them. It doesn't matter, the only thing that counts is you follow the rules of the game. Looking at it from that point of view; When they did that Fisherman test, did the ranker decide to help Rachel because someone was going to kill her or was it more because they were "perverting" the game, much like Love accused Viole of doing?

I was really disappointed that Lurker didn't have some sort of special plan in mind. He was just bragging after all. Guess he just assumed Viole wouldn't come back.

Yeon has screwed up priorities. She must have an "aren't you going to rape me?" complex. She is okay with Lurker feeling up her breasts but Viole saying how he wouldn't bother to do something like that himself because he has no interest in her body gets her upset? lol. I liked the author's afterward where SIU mentioned that Yeon is intended to always be the victim. Sucks to be her, I guess. ^_^

Yoryang had a great chapter. He looked really good in several panels, especially when he revealed that he was the true holder of the right arm of the devil and when he was being blasted by Yeon's fire.

I wonder what exactly the reason Viole used to decide to help Wangman? Looks like he is leaning on advice from that Guide as well? I still have no idea if he's gonna take the group with him or not. So far, other then the arm of the devil twist, no big surprises but SIU is promising a twist in the next update. I have no idea what it would be though. I mean beyond the plot points I can see already. I assume it's going to be something less obvious. n Wangman kills Lurker or doesn't. Viole goes on alone or doesn't. The reason this incident becomes famous is because Viole "won" I suppose it might count even if Viole doesn't decide to go up after all, even though Wangman helped. I can see all of those things happening, so what am I missing?

Really, I'm kind of let down that Wangman managed to get that connector to Viole in the first place. Probably the most epic fail moment of any Ranker we have seen to date.

Loking forward to the conclusion.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still not sure I understand what is the purpose of the games in the tower.

Is it to take only the strong ones?
    Encourage (or discourage) cooperation?
    Teach something?

Seems to me like every ranker and game has a completely different, and sometimes contradicting reasoning.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Really, I'm kind of let down that Wangman managed to get that connector to Viole in the first place. Probably the most epic fail moment of any Ranker we have seen to date.

Loking forward to the conclusion.
    Love was warned not to mess too much with Viole: by focusing on him, he missed the possibility of a random Regular helping the demon FUG out by developing tunnel vision. That's why Wangnan was able to so totally broadside him. Let alone the reasons Wangnan had for doing so. It must have hurt to the core to have the idea that "anti-hero FUG" was a possible way of looking at things, rather than just the "devil FUG". Wonder if it'll stick?

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Seems to me like every ranker and game has a completely different, and sometimes contradicting reasoning.
    As far as I can tell the general rules behind the tests/ games/ stages boil down to:-

1) Be seen to uphold the structure and rule of Zahard and the 10 Families.
    2) Weed out those who don't (or, at least, look like you are).
    3) Test for whatever it is you regard as strength.
    4) Bonus points if you test for skills they'll need on the next few floors.
    5) Lulz.

The Guardians have their own set of rules. I suspect each has their own rule book. If Headon is any guide, several volumes thereof.
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-06-21 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typing Without Due Care and Attention

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, I really liked that chapter. It makes me happy. Viole talked a bit more, and we saw a glimpse of his sponsor.

I wonder what she said?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

How to weaponise forgiveness in three easy steps...

And, is it me, or does somebody have crush?

26. - Top - End - #86

People talk about SIU being a troll all the time but I suspect this is the first time we have been truly trolled by him. He build up the ending for some big surprise but it never panned out. I thought for a moment that the big surprise was the fact that Prince's father had bribed the administration to get his son to go up but after reviewing the afterward that went up today it doesn't look like it.

Seems like the "big event" that SIU kept mentioning and had us all wracking out brains to figure out was simply
    Spoiler
    Show
    Viole "beat" Love. Which he only did technically and he needed help for anyway. Plus, the whole point of the battle was to get Viole to take on teammates, which he did. So... yea, we got trolled there. I can't think of another way to look at it.

I looked ahead to the next chapter in RAWs form that came out today to find out.

I don't know what kind of a favor Wangman thinks he is giving Lurker. There is no way this betrayal will go unnoticed by Prince's father, who will make Lurker, and likely Rapdevil, pay in extremely painful ways before being killed anyway. I also don't understand what the point of killing Niu was. Lurker may have started out as just some guy that got in over his head but he's become really sick and twisted. I just don't see the point in forgiving him.

The lobster Viole used to heal himself seems to be a bit stronger then we suspected if it makes Horyang uneasy. There are better reasons for him to worry, of course, but he doesn't know all that Viole can do.

Speaking of Horyang, SIU specifically mentioned that Yeon was a level above all the other non rankers on the floor. Does that include Horyang or did SIU mean she was on a level above everyone except when Horyang uses his Devil arm? Cause I have a hard time believing that she is way more powerful then that arm after seeing how it just crushed Rapdevil.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

People talk about SIU being a troll all the time but I suspect this is the first time we have been truly trolled by him. He build up the ending for some big surprise but it never panned out. I thought for a moment that the big surprise was the fact that Prince's father had bribed the administration to get his son to go up but after reviewing the afterward that went up today it doesn't look like it.
    Give it time to develop: I think it will pan out to be as Tower-quaking as advertised. I smell a ripple that'll turn into a wave. The problem is, we might see it properly break only in another arch or two's time. So, yes: we have been trolled. But, probably not without purpose. If it is without purpose, then he really needs more than a week's break.

I also don't understand what the point of killing Niu was. Lurker may have started out as just some guy that got in over his head but he's become really sick and twisted. I just don't see the point in forgiving him.
    When Lurker did that, he assumed he had won. And, was going to also kill Prince. He knew that his former boss had sunk that much in the way of resources into getting Prince to climb, that he would probably be unlikely to come after him in any real shape. Particularly if it took him a while to work out what, exactly, had gone on. After all, Lurker had a FUG slayer-candidate for the blame to be initially pinned on.

Speaking of Horyang, SIU specifically mentioned that Yeon was a level above all the other non rankers on the floor. Does that include Horyang or did SIU mean she was on a level above everyone except when Horyang uses his Devil arm? Cause I have a hard time believing that she is way more powerful then that arm after seeing how it just crushed Rapdevil.
    In terms of raw power, she might just have more watts than he does and greater growth-potential. Thing is, his techniques are way more versatile, even when he's not going all out. Plus, he's got more control of what he can do thanks to whatever that suit-thing of his is. Given time, she might well top him. As it is, right now? He's far more reliably strong.

<side thought>

I wonder: is it because of his suit he was able to draw conclusions about Viole's lobster-thing we can't, yet?
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-07-01 at 04:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Wait, reading some of the earlier posts in this thread, it sounds like Baam is Viole, is this the case?! O_O

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

Note: I may not be posting everyday, due to real life problems.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you're really early in the story (still in the early half of Season 1, for instance), do you really want the answer without reading?

There are quite a few twists spoiling it for yourself will just... you know... spoil.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm not sure Baam and Viole being the same person counts as a twist, unless you only know of the latter through fanart and such. He had a flashback to Rachel before we knew the name 'Viole'.