New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Double BP and XP seem an okay way of keeping the DB in the game. Charms still cost more for DBs, and they already lost their one advantage they had over other exalt types (free reflexives) without getting anything in return. The DB will still probably want to find a niche that's not covered by the solars, though...
    LGBTitP

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    Double BP and XP seem an okay way of keeping the DB in the game. Charms still cost more for DBs, and they already lost their one advantage they had over other exalt types (free reflexives) without getting anything in return. The DB will still probably want to find a niche that's not covered by the solars, though...
    Untrue.
    You still need to declare a full combo - which always has an Obvious display - to use charms.
    DBs can add to their combos after the initial declaration.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it just me, or is there a veritable dearth of new Exalted games right before the new book drops? On the one hand, I could really go for a game. On the other, Shards looks so cool. On ther third hand, I almost never dinish my characters for games anyways...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

I want to play a Burning Legends game.

Or a Sci-Fi Exalted game.

Or a combination.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to play a Sci-Fi game,

and a Burn Legends game,

and a Modern game;

and quite likely an Alt-History game as well, but we don't know enough about this Shard for me to know for sure.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am SO waiting for Shards. I like what they showed so far but to be honest, I'm just dead curious about what those two last major shards will be... On the other hand, and more on tomberrian's point, problem with new book is that most people want to play with them, so I'm pretty sure there's going to be a lot more potential players than STs.

So basically, if anyone here's planning on running a Shards game...

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

I want to play an Exalted Modern game. Or a Strands of Fate conversion with the fluff in Shards (a game with those rules might actually motivate me to read the conversion fully).
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #638

Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

9. - Top - End - #639

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Untrue.
    You still need to declare a full combo - which always has an Obvious display - to use charms.
    DBs can add to their combos after the initial declaration.
    Fair enough, they lost most of their advantage (which included not having to spend xp to learn the - costly - combos or spend WP as often).
    LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

If there are actually starship rules, this may finally see the Exalted/Spaceship game finally take off...
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    Fair enough, they lost most of their advantage (which included not having to spend xp to learn the - costly - combos or spend WP as often).
    As TDO so elegantly put it:

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented Monkey
    Dragon-Blooded lose free reflexives.

Celestials lose persistent sustainable invulnerability.

One of these things is not like the other.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-06-05 at 09:31 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

You know I've been wanting to run a game of Exalted for a while now; but I just couldn't settle on any one idea. However, just now I had an epiphany. If I mash together a couple of the concepts it could make a pretty damn awesome campaign for the Space Opera Shard. Now obviously I will have to wait until Shards comes out before I will know if it's actually feasible; but I just thought I would put it out there.

For those interested the ideas I would be mashing together are:

Aftershock War 2: Electric Boogaloo

Realm Civil War

Creation Ruling Mandate/A Land Once Divided Must Unite

And maybe some others, it's still in the very early conceptual stages.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

I never realized just how disappointed I was in the portrayal of Terrestrials in Exalted's mechanics until I looked and realized that they have no Charm vis a vis "Tarrlok's Relentless Waterfall Fusillade".

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    You know I've been wanting to run a game of Exalted for a while now; but I just couldn't settle on any one idea. However, just now I had an epiphany. If I mash together a couple of the concepts it could make a pretty damn awesome campaign for the Space Opera Shard. Now obviously I will have to wait until Shards comes out before I will know if it's actually feasible; but I just thought I would put it out there.

Realm Civil War

I call the position of the Twilight God-Emperor of Man. (Which he totally was.)
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Whaaaaat? Nah, he was totally a Zenith Caste.

On the other hand, a Malefactor could easily have twisted-

Oh god. 40K ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Realm Civil War

I'd be in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Troll in the Playground

Realm Civil War

Might be interested......
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

But yeah, you'd need to have it on the forum for me to be interested. Then I might play a Zenith Caste As Played By Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Lots of interest. That is good,.

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    But yeah, you'd need to have it on the forum for me to be interested. Then I might play a Zenith Caste As Played By Commander Shepard.
    Yeah, it will most likely be on the forums. Also, I will only accept this character if they are a Solar Hero Stylist with a Specialty in Headbutting. That was a joke.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

*snerk*

Guns and Melee, with Solar Hero in evidence. Partially based off the Shepard from Glorious Shotgun Princess.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I never realized just how disappointed I was in the portrayal of Terrestrials in Exalted's mechanics until I looked and realized that they have no Charm vis a vis "Tarrlok's Relentless Waterfall Fusillade".
    I wouldn't worry about that for long.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Realm Civil War

I might have to buy Masters of Jade and read up on the Mandate rules. I'm thinking of either using my signature Slayer character (who is still very in the works backstory-wise) with a couple changes to explain why he's decided to lead (should be easy enough, Malfeas and all that), or making a Dawn or Zenith.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I might have to buy Masters of Jade and read up on the Mandate rules. I'm thinking of either using my signature Slayer character (who is still very in the works backstory-wise) with a couple changes to explain why he's decided to lead (should be easy enough, Malfeas and all that), or making a Dawn or Zenith.
    I imagine any pre-existing character is going to require more than "a couple changes", since you know it will be taking place IN SPACE!!!!

...Sorry, I had to do it.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Alternatively, I could create a Twilight Caste based on the following:

Spoiler
    Show

Also workable into an Exalted Modern game.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

You mean Chosen of Battles. Harry is too badass to be a mere Twilight.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    You mean Chosen of Battles. Harry is too badass to be a mere Twilight.
    I don't know what you are smoking there. Badass has nothing to do with power level. Harry is probably best statted out as a Dragon-Blooded sorcerer, since he seems to lack a lot in the magical oomph department. He just makes up for it by being experienced and clever.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    I don't know what you are smoking there. Badass has nothing to do with power level. Harry is probably best statted out as a Dragon-Blooded sorcerer, since he seems to lack a lot in the magical oomph department. He just makes up for it by being experienced and clever.
    It's stated several times in the book that Harry is probably one of the ten most powerful wizards alive, if one goes strictly by magical oomph.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe in a later book. I've only read Storm Front so far and he was outclassed by just about everyone.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite the fact that he's often referred to as the wizard equivalent of a thug? He's all "oomph" (ok, maybe not all; he's clever in the fun-to-read-about-protagonist sort of way, but he's nowhere near the top in terms of "experienced and clever" in the White Council).

Not that I'm putting forth a different suggestion on how to model him (a lot of what he does is element themed after all).

I like the concept of a wizard's death curse as "Rune of Singular Hate" though.

Edit - dang, ninja'd not only by what I was gonna say, but by the response too?
    Last edited by WalkingTarget; 2012-06-06 at 10:11 AM.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe in a later book. I've only read Storm Front so far and he was outclassed by just about everyone.
    Storm Front, really? I don't really remember him being outclassed by anyone there. The Shadowman was miles below Harry's Power level he was just getting an artificial boost by channeling the storms. Even still I wouldn't say he outclassed Harry. Of course maybe it's just that I have seen Harry face down beings that outclass him so much more so many times that in hindsight it just seems like a negligible disadvantage.

On topic:

You, know all of this thinking about Exalts in space inspired me to make this.

The Sun Will Rise Again
    Cost: - ([Essence-2] Permanent Essence); Mins: Resistance 6, Essence 6; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Native, Dawn
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Adamant Skin Technique and Unbreakable Warrior's Majesty
    There is no greater act of leadership than to sacrifice of yourself to save one of your people; and the Solar Exalted are nothing if not peerless leaders. Even still, a nation can not be left without their leader nor a people without there champion. When a Lawgiver who knows this Charm sacrifices themselves to save the life of another, or multiple others, they may reduce their Essence to two to prevent themselves from truly dying. Instead they enter a catatonic state until they can be revived.
    Reviving the Solar is an extended Medicine action that requires the Lawgivers body. Thus rendering this Charm ineffective against deaths that completely obliterate the character, though Storytellers are encouraged to be generous about when this Charm can be applied. The extended action is an Int+medicine roll with a difficulty of the Solar's former Essence Rating with a cumulative difficulty thrice that, and an increment of one season. By incorporating specialized biomagitech artifacts into the Solars body the physician can reduce the difficulty of a roll by twice the artifacts rating. However if at any time the physician botches a roll the Lawgiver immediately perishes.

The wording could do with being cleaned up a bit, and obviously it steps pretty close to resurrection. But aside from that, what do you guys think.