New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Not necessarily true with Infernals. The demon, unlike the deathlord, can lie.
    ...You know the demons and Yozis continue to talk to you after the initial deal, right? They're never going to take an Infernal without even trying to get him to support the Reclamation.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I thought of a crossover.

Resident Evil: Gem.

In Modern, a bunch of Abyssals who figured out how to make zombies with a contagious effect decided to take over Gem. Y'know, instead of the Alchemicals, or the Infernals, or the Solars...
    ...I could go for this.
    But the abyssal has to be called Wesker.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

...You know the demons and Yozis continue to talk to you after the initial deal, right? They're never going to take an Infernal without even trying to get him to support the Reclamation.
    Yea, the problem with Abyssals is that now they are too similar to Infernals for me not to want to play an Abyssal like an Infernal.

I can only hope that the alternate Resonance system in Shards will be something I'll like…..
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

This just in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden
    Just got off the horn with Da Boss.

Most Sorrowful Update: At the earliest, the proofs might be back from Lightning Source on Friday, but more likely is early the following week. 4th of July holiday in the middle of the process is slowing everything down.

Same day the proof comes in (assuming all the pages aren't stuck in sideways or whatever), Shards will go live.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

There are definitely times when it wouldn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yea, the problem with Abyssals is that now they are too similar to Infernals for me not to want to play an Abyssal like an Infernal.
    They really aren't that similar. The thing is, you actively dislike the Abyssal Experience.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

They really aren't that similar. The thing is, you actively dislike the Abyssal Experience.
    Yes they are, or I wouldn't want to play an Abyssal like an Infernal. If they were different enough, I would have any problems. and don't give me that "Demons lie, Death Lords don't" stupidity. Even Death Lords are allowed to twist the truth somewhat, and any twisting of the truth is not really the truth, because its a lie. Therefore both of them lie.

And any claim that the Abyssals exalting is morally bad or whatever has to contend with a setting where its explicitly stated where no morality exists- aside from the Ebon Dragon, but he only exists to spite everything, why not the universe? but he is the sole exception- and furthermore has to contend with the fact that for some reason you can exalt as an independent, without any agreement to destroy the world.

and before you say they aren't similar at all:
    -Infernals can set their Exaltations free so that an Infernal can "independently" Exalt as well
    -One of the Abyssals methods of destroying the world is through terraforming it all into one big shadowland, similar to how Infernals terraform everything into Yozi-land.
    -They both serve masters that enforce their will upon the world- Third Circle Demons and Death Lords.
    -They accept a deal when they have fallen in some way
    -They both have even greater masters that enforce their will upon them through Limit- Yozis and Neverborn.
    -They are both corrupted Solar Exaltations.
    -They both do things to eat and regain motes
    -They are both considered "villainous" splats by people who don't want to play them
    -they both been shown to have red eyes.

Infernals are just better designed is all. If their darkness wasn't cowardly and had more fighting charms, I'd play them wholeheartedly.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

you can exalt as an independent, without any agreement to destroy the world.
    This is not true. Independent Exaltations still inform a prospective Abyssal of what the Black Exaltation entails and require them to agree to take it. In fact independents have less of a leg to stand on morally as the Exaltation is not an intelligent thing. Meaning it can't dress the truth up in a pretty dress to disguise the fact that it is a slattern of the street.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    This is not true. Independent Exaltations still inform a prospective Abyssal of what the Black Exaltation entails and require them to agree to take it. In fact independents have less of a leg to stand on morally as the Exaltation is not an intelligent thing. Meaning it can't dress the truth up in a pretty dress to disguise the fact that it is a slattern of the street.
    No, thats wrong, it just says "do you want to be a Champion of Death?" and doesn't say anything about destroying the world. the ink monkeys specifically introduced it as a Black Exaltation where you don't have to agree to do that.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Orc in the Playground

and before you say they aren't similar at all:
    -Infernals can set their Exaltations free so that an Infernal can "independently" Exalt as well
    Infernals can redefine most of the parameters of their Exaltation, the Abyssals really can't.
    -One of the Abyssals methods of destroying the world is through terraforming it all into one big shadowland, similar to how Infernals terraform everything into Yozi-land.
    Considering that "Yozi-Land" is entirely dependent on which Yozi you are talking about, and that it can really be anything you want it to be (Chirality Prohibition Index), they really aren't the same.
    -They both serve masters that enforce their will upon the world- Third Circle Demons and Death Lords.
    Eh, Abyssals are much more bound to the Death Lords than Infernals are bound to the Third Circle Demons. Sure the Infernals interact with the 3CD, but they don't take marching orders from them (at least in games I've played). Infernals are expected to be super-competent independent agents, which is why they still have free will, despite what SWLiHN wanted.
    -They accept a deal when they have fallen in some way
    "I will murder everyone and everything alive." Is not the same as "I will help the unjustly imprisoned architects of Creation to get out of their jail."
    -They both have even greater masters that enforce their will upon them through Limit- Yozis and Neverborn.
    -They are both corrupted Solar Exaltations.
    Not much to say here, those are both true, though they are implemented in such exceedingly different ways, that I'm not sure why you are conflating them.
    -They both do things to eat and regain motes
    Genuinely confused here. Baseline Infernals regain motes like anybody else, and their charm based ways have nothing to do with Abyssal feeding (Say, like meditating under water...)
    -They are both considered "villainous" splats by people who don't want to play them
    And? "Villain" is a ridiculously broad descriptor.
    -they both been shown to have red eyes.
    What? Seriously, I don't understand this. Some Abyssals have red eyes, Some Infernals have red eyes, heck, some mortals have red eyes!

Infernals are just better designed is all. If their darkness wasn't cowardly and had more fighting charms, I'd play them wholeheartedly.
    I apologize if you were saying that Abyssal darkness is cowardly (because they are heavily slanted in that direction), but have you read the Infernals book? 1 out of the 5 Yozis being cowardly means nothing when you have 4 Yozis that all encourage insanely courageous feats.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incendius View Post
    I apologize if you were saying that Abyssal darkness is cowardly (because they are heavily slanted in that direction), but have you read the Infernals book? 1 out of the 5 Yozis being cowardly means nothing when you have 4 Yozis that all encourage insanely courageous feats.
    Not the people, the charms, the charms. he only charms that do darkness themed attacks and whatnot, are cowardly ranged ones with only certain circumstances to do them in melee, because they belong to the Ebon Dragon.

Abyssal charms are all dark and have melee attacks to do at will, not cowardly at all. I want those kinds of charms.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Orc in the Playground

So what?

No really, why the hell does that matter when you have...

Malfaes charms, which are not at all subtle, and using any of them paints a huge target on your back.

Cecelyne charms, which encourage you to establish as Blasphemous dominion that is super obvious to anyone who has the smallest bit of sense, and set yourself up as a diety of that area, painting yet another target on your back.

She Who Lives in Her Name charms, which make you so transcendentally courageous that you cannot feel fear.

Adorjan charms, where all the combat ones have to be used in close combat.

You are taking 1 out of the 6 charm sets available (not even getting into the unreleased Yozis or the homebrew ones, of which I dare you to call Isidoros 'Cowardly'), and saying that it defines the entire splat. So I am going to ask you again, have you read the Infernals book?

Edit: Oh yeah, and great job comparing the Darkness and Ranged Yozi to Abyssal Melee, rather than say, Abyssal Archery combined with Abyssal Stealth and Abyssal Awareness, letting you shoot anyone anywhere in the world through any sort of barrier, from the safety of your own doom fortress. Real courageous there.
    Last edited by Incendius; 2012-07-01 at 08:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incendius View Post
    So what?

No really, why the hell does that matter when you have...

Malfaes charms, which are not at all subtle, and using any of them paints a huge target on your back.

Cecelyne charms, which encourage you to establish as Blasphemous dominion that is super obvious to anyone who has the smallest bit of sense, and set yourself up as a diety of that area, painting yet another target on your back.

She Who Lives in Her Name charms, which make you so transcendentally courageous that you cannot feel fear.

Adorjan charms, where all the combat ones have to be used in close combat.

You are taking 1 out of the 6 charm sets available (not even getting into the unreleased Yozis or the homebrew ones, of which I dare you to call Isidoros 'Cowardly'), and saying that it defines the entire splat. So I am going to ask you again, have you read the charms chapter of the Infernals book?
    ……….

The cowardly thing doesn't matter! your missing the point!

The point is the darkness! the shadows! melee charms, that are shadowy and dark! none of the other Yozis are dark or shadowy! Abyssals are dark and shadowy.

Y'know, what? On second thought NEVERMIND! I just want to forget the whole discussion!
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-07-01 at 08:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Orc in the Playground

Haha. Okay. I suggest that maybe next time you don't try to base an argument on superficial similarities.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

No, thats wrong, it just says "do you want to be a Champion of Death?" and doesn't say anything about destroying the world. the ink monkeys specifically introduced it as a Black Exaltation where you don't have to agree to do that.
    This is when the Abyssal Exaltation acts. Inarticulate compared to a Deathlord, it makes no elegant speeches, presents no phantasmal visions. It communicates its offer urgently, subliminally: cast aside name and destiny, embrace death as its immortal champion, and gain the power of Exaltation.
    To save those they love, to destroy those they hate, many would accept.
    Not quite accurate.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

For those of you who were interested in joining my game, I now have the recruting thread up.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite accurate.
    I'm…..I'm not even going to correct you. Fine whatever you win, I don't care anymore.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm…..I'm not even going to correct you. Fine whatever you win, I don't care anymore.
    To "correct" Tavar would imply that Tavar was wrong; point is, even an independent Abyssal Exaltation is very much asking the wielder to take up the banner of destruction.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

You seem to have missed the point: I don't care anymore. Have your doomed Abyssals. I want nothing to do with them. I'm tired of being a freaking underdog in these stupid arguments because everyone for some reason likes playing a splat that only consists of one type of playable character concept that will only ever have two endings that I hate. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

Wha? There's more than one character type for Abyssals. You can play an Abyssal trying for redemption just as easily as a loyalist Abyssal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

I said "playable"; the redemption one was the one I was referring to.

But if you insist, since I don't care anymore, two kinds of character types: Loyalist or Redemption. Black or White. Boring as Heck. Either I redeem myself, tragically fail to redeem myself, destroy the world, or fail to destroy the world. Look at how many options I have. Truly my imagination is inspired by all the limitless possibilities.
    Not.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

Or you man up and take the third option, where you say screw you to the Neverborn, don't destroy the world, and find a way to shatter the chains of Resonance forever. You then spend eternity ruling a kingdom of the dead as a caretaker of the Underworld.

Who cares if that isn't an explicitly written option in the MoEP:Abyssals? Screw the rules, you are Exalted.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

You know what Kyeudo? your right. screw the canon options. Why am I letting the canon options in the books limit my imagination? I've made dozens of awesome things from nothing in my head, and I've never gone wrong there. Why deviate from a method that has always worked? I'll just say screw the canon, and just wait for my imagination to invent a way to break Resonance. I'm sure it'll come to me eventually…. awesome ideas always come to me like that.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground

You need to play more Exalted if you thought you had to stick to how the book says you do things. Exalted is all about finding your own way to get stuff done.

I've done information gathering with Athletics and diplomacy with Melee.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I keep hearing that, and it so rarely tends to line up with my experiences of playing Exalted as opposed to, well, basically most other games I've ever played.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ettin in the Playground

It sounds to me like you are trained to stick to the rails your Storyteller lays down. Question the best approach, punch through the boundaries, and define your own goals.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    It sounds to me like you are trained to stick to the rails your Storyteller lays down. Question the best approach, punch through the boundaries, and define your own goals.
    You forgot make the ST cry.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Titan in the Playground

I said "playable"; the redemption one was the one I was referring to.

But if you insist, since I don't care anymore, two kinds of character types: Loyalist or Redemption. Black or White. Boring as Heck. Either I redeem myself, tragically fail to redeem myself, destroy the world, or fail to destroy the world. Look at how many options I have. Truly my imagination is inspired by all the limitless possibilities.
    Not.
    Or you're entirely wrong about this. Again.

I do find it interesting that you seem very reluctant to bring evidence to back up your view.
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar
    You mean "shed tears of joy" because of all the awesome, right?
    Last edited by HerrTenko; 2012-07-02 at 10:15 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    You mean "shed tears of joy" because of all the awesome, right?
    I don't know, let me go check the Demented One.

Nope, definitely tears of ragesorrow.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    If your Storyteller knows what you will be doing next session, you're doing it wrong.