New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    If your Storyteller knows what you will be doing next session, you're doing it wrong.
    Well I've routinely made my first DM facepalm from merely the antics of Lelk*, so I should do pretty well making any other cry themselves to sleep with someone far more powerful……

*invented the zeppelin in medieval times, accidentally walked in on the god of thieves and survived by saying "HI!" cheerfully, and has a fought a giant worm with a dagger and a net full of stone, jumps over everything, and persuaded a group of paladins and barbarians who hated each other to team up and defeat a hydra, by singing about how awesome paladins are…he is basically a Zenith with Performance and Athletics excellencies, if they were an elf in DnD.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

In Loom-Snarling Deception, it says that the disguise is an Illusion that is perfectly immune to mundane scrutiny. Does this mean that anyone looking really hard at you can't detect any disguise, but if they shake your hand, they might notice that it doesn't feel right (like a rough hand when disguised as a lazy noble)? Or is it a transformation, which means that while you keep the same stats, your body is, for all intents and purposes, the disguise?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    In Loom-Snarling Deception, it says that the disguise is an Illusion that is perfectly immune to mundane scrutiny. Does this mean that anyone looking really hard at you can't detect any disguise, but if they shake your hand, they might notice that it doesn't feel right (like a rough hand when disguised as a lazy noble)? Or is it a transformation, which means that while you keep the same stats, your body is, for all intents and purposes, the disguise?
    It is an Illusion - it fools perceptions and beliefs.

Even if they were somehow capable of mundanely perceiving your true form, they would be forced to believe that you were as the Illusion presented.

Not only is every sense affected, but the Illusion doesn't even discriminate between senses, and it affects the person possessing the senses!
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Well, that would still be mundane scrutiny, right? So it's an illusion against normal let's-look-at-things-eyes, but any supernatural scrutiny would pierce it.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Firbolg in the Playground

Unrelated note, I totally misread that as "Loom-Snarling Decepticon" just now.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-07-02 at 07:22 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Unrelated note, I totally misread that as "Loom-Snarling Decepticon" just now.
    Apostate Champion concept get!
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Apostate Champion concept get!
    Glad I could help.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    You mean "shed tears of joy" because of all the awesome, right?
    If your ST has trained you to stay on his rails, then it'll definately be tears of rage.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, I'm the ST most of the time, and even though I do have "rails" prepared in case my players have no idea what to do with their time, I'm always happy to see them leave the railroad.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

I love rails in exalted. You can tear them up and tie them into a pretty metal bow to gift wrap your exploding present to the ebon dragon with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    If your ST has trained you to stay on his rails, then it'll definately be tears of rage.
    This is why building railroads in Exalted is a bad idea. Exalts are so capable of dramatic direction changes you should not be able to predict how they will approach a problem. If you have a plot to overthrow the government, they could blackmail your key conspirators, they could assassinate them with stealth, they could just decide to take over the goverment themselves, or they could go to the kingdom next door and borrow their army.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

The only way to railroad characters is to ask their players nicely. There's no way to railroad players unless you threaten to end the game.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    The only way to railroad characters is to ask their players nicely. There's no way to railroad players unless you threaten to end the game.
    You can send stronger and stronger opponents after them and refuse to allow timeskips for training.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Titan in the Playground

Guys? What's the attunement cost of a warbird? I can't seem to find it, and it seems redonkulous that it would only require a level 2 hearthstone...
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Troll in the Playground

This is why building railroads in Exalted is a bad idea. Exalts are so capable of dramatic direction changes you should not be able to predict how they will approach a problem. If you have a plot to overthrow the government, they could blackmail your key conspirators, they could assassinate them with stealth, they could just decide to take over the goverment themselves, or they could go to the kingdom next door and borrow their army.
    Most young Exalts are also roughly as versatile as a ceiling fan (because the system enormously rewards especialization) and have absolutely no way to improvise any power to do something different on a short notice (such as how in M&M you can repurpose powers in an emergency), so having a rough idea of how they will approach things is really pretty damn easy - it's, in like three quarters of cases, going to be one of the few ways their charms support, because most people like using the bennies that are in their character sheet .

It's a lot harder to predict what, say, your basic M&M PL10 party, since they can basically make up pretty much anything on the fly if they come up with a better idea.

Of course, predicting what your party will want to do most of the time is less about railroading and more about having a couple hours notice on mentally preparing stuff, and a rather important GM skill. So with time you just end up knowing your players and having a pretty good guess of what they will want to do in pretty much any game, anyway.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-07-03 at 02:59 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Most young Exalts are also roughly as versatile as a ceiling fan (because the system enormously rewards especialization) and have absolutely no way to improvise any power to do something different on a short notice (such as how in M&M you can repurpose powers in an emergency), so having a rough idea of how they will approach things is really pretty damn easy - it's, in like three quarters of cases, going to be one of the few ways their charms support, because most people like using the bennies that are in their character sheet .
    I just wanted to throw in that I totally agree, so that you don't get that "Arrgh, I'm all alone and everyone in the thread is just yelling at me" feeling when they all yell at you. (I wish we had a Thank function.)

Also, this is one of the many reasons why Fate is so much better for Exalted. With one Aspect choice, I could manipulate nuclear sunfire. I didn't have to buy one fiddle parcel for punching someone with nuclear sunfire, and then another fiddly parcel to shoot someone with nuclear sunfire, and then another fiddly parcel to give someone cancer with nuclear sunfire, and then another fiddly parcel to give someone cancer in a different way with nuclear sunfire, and so on and so on. I could manipulate nuclear sunfire - and did awesome things with it.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2012-07-03 at 02:49 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

Hah! Thats exactly what the players want you to think.

Then they pull crazy stunts out of nowhere with impossible creativity or do something incredibly foolishly brave that you'd think they would be too smart to do. And then they succeed anyways.

Edit: Eh, I prefer Strands of Fate, so that I just look up any Advantage and with a few creative twists, turn it into a way of manipulating nuclear sunfire.

or just y'know….purchase Control Nuclear Sunfire.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-07-03 at 02:53 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I just wanted to throw in that I totally agree, so that you don't get that "Arrgh, I'm all alone and everyone in the thread is just yelling at me" feeling when they all yell at you. (I wish we had a Thank function.)
    Oh, don't worry. I'm not really taking things incredibly seriously, just idly commenting until I get bored

Thanks for the support nonetheless.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Drascin, I am also agreeing with You. So Xefas isn't the only one fighting windmills in Your name.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Then they pull crazy stunts out of nowhere with impossible creativity or do something incredibly foolishly brave that you'd think they would be too smart to do. And then they succeed anyways.
    And in my opinion it's one of the most delightful things Players can gift their GM with. Of course another important GM skill is smoothly taking such miracles in stride, instantly transforming whole universe that Players are running around within, and continuing with altered plot. After all DM needs his fun moments too. The sneaky tactic is to later, after session, congratulate them for the brilliance and smiling benignly informing them that they raised Your expectations to another level.

And no, it isn't when Players die miserably and sob over their character sheets. GM wins when Players learn to do awesome, cool things and do them. In a way that make him enjoy his thankless toil.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Individually, that may be true. The Dawn Caste hits things, the Night Caste sneaks past things, and the Zenith talks about things. However, put them together, and then you have something completely unpredictable.

Say you have a corrupt Terrestrial king to deal with. You expect the Zenith to rally an army with his speaking power, the Dawn to lead it, and the Night to do recon. Instead, the Zenith starts a riot to distract the guards, the Night sneaks the Dawn into the palace, and together they assassinate the king.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Guys? What's the attunement cost of a warbird? I can't seem to find it, and it seems redonkulous that it would only require a level 2 hearthstone...
    Well, it IS a 4 to 5 Dot Artifact, so a Hearthstone requirement INSTEAD of an Attunement requirement seems reasonable enough. You may want to look into Windblade-Class Personal Transport (Artifact 3) instead if you find the Warbird's independence from committed Essence to be problematic.

Proud Girlfriend of golentan

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaoskristy21 View Post
    Well, it IS a 4 to 5 Dot Artifact, so a Hearthstone requirement INSTEAD of an Attunement requirement seems reasonable enough. You may want to look into Windblade-Class Personal Transport (Artifact 3) instead if you find the Warbird's independence from committed Essence to be problematic.
    Not so much, honey. It's for a dragonblooded character in a celestial level game, so that could be a major advantage. I'm just surprised by the implication they can be piloted by mortals.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm just surprised by the implication they can be piloted by mortals.
    Or tyrant lizards.
    Last edited by Gensh; 2012-07-03 at 06:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Pixie in the Playground

Not so much, honey. It's for a dragonblooded character in a celestial level game, so that could be a major advantage. I'm just surprised by the implication they can be piloted by mortals.
    Well, the thing to keep in mind is that this IS an Aerial Transportation Artifact we're talking about, here. It has built in drawbacks like a Repair score, the lack of subtlety, the need for the Ride Ability in order to use it to it's full potential, and the fact that it's the same Artifact level as several MUCH larger Airships. Also, these things are SUPPOSED to be extremely rare in the Age of Sorrows anyways (see Repair Score), so there we have it. The fact that Mortals can use it doesn't surprise me much either, on account of the Artifact Rating of the thing.
    I turn your attention once again to the Windblade-Class Personal Transport in the same book; it might be more to your liking for what you have planned. The Jade version comes equipped with either a lightning weapon OR a built-in Elemental Lens, making the Artifact's presence in a scene potentially a one-sided advantage.
    Last edited by chaoskristy21; 2012-07-03 at 07:46 PM.

Proud Girlfriend of golentan

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground

Note Elemental lenses will be nerfed a bit: they were already amazing pre-2.5. No way they're balanced now.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ettin in the Playground

The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Bunny-based idolatry pleases me.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Bunny-based idolatry pleases me.
    *offers Xefas a chocolate bunny*

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

What could possibly go wrong?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Individually, that may be true. The Dawn Caste hits things, the Night Caste sneaks past things, and the Zenith talks about things. However, put them together, and then you have something completely unpredictable.

Say you have a corrupt Terrestrial king to deal with. You expect the Zenith to rally an army with his speaking power, the Dawn to lead it, and the Night to do recon. Instead, the Zenith starts a riot to distract the guards, the Night sneaks the Dawn into the palace, and together they assassinate the king.
    If you have 3 solars getting ready to take down any Terrestrial, it doesn't really matter what route they take. The ST occupies himself with what happens after the poor DB is out of the picture ;)

My current ST merely sets the world and events in motion, how we interact with it is up to us. The only thing that could count as rails are events big enough that we have no way of countering them (although we might still affect them somehow). That, and he plays his NPCs very well - they tend to have their own secrets, agendas and tend to be prepared for various unexpected situations and have backup plans of their own.
    LGBTitP