New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

So, I hear all sorts of things about the awesomeness of Sidereal Martial Arts.

What am I missing? I only see one Martial Arts charmtree in the Sidereal book, and it doesn't seem too exceptional at first glance...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    So, I hear all sorts of things about the awesomeness of Sidereal Martial Arts.

What am I missing? I only see one Martial Arts charmtree in the Sidereal book, and it doesn't seem too exceptional at first glance...
    Violet Bier of Shadows isn't a sidereal martial art. It's a martial art commonly practiced by sidereals. It's a distinction roughly equivalent to a celestial circle spell known by solars and solar circle sorcery.

Sidereal martial arts are found in a couple of sourcebooks (scroll of the monk, glories of the most high: maidens of destiny, maybe another one or two). It contains things like Obsidian Shards of Infinity style, which prior to errata gave us gems like Creation Slaying Oblivion Kick (a combo that when used atop Mount Meru kills everything on creation's surface simultaneously).
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Barbarian in the Playground

I apologize for entering with a question unrelated to the current topic again, but is the sky of Creation every described as containing an element similar to the Milky Way, i.e. a dim streak that appears to be behind the stars? I also apologize if this isn't an appropriate place to pose such questions.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sodalite View Post
    I apologize for entering with a question unrelated to the current topic again, but is the sky of Creation every described as containing an element similar to the Milky Way, i.e. a dim streak that appears to be behind the stars? I also apologize if this isn't an appropriate place to pose such questions.
    There's the Divine Interstice, which could be taken as looking like that, or maybe more like a nebula. It's described in Glories: Maidens and Luna, I think. Probably the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Violet Bier of Shadows isn't a sidereal martial art. It's a martial art commonly practiced by sidereals. It's a distinction roughly equivalent to a celestial circle spell known by solars and solar circle sorcery.

Sidereal martial arts are found in a couple of sourcebooks (scroll of the monk, glories of the most high: maidens of destiny, maybe another one or two). It contains things like Obsidian Shards of Infinity style, which prior to errata gave us gems like Creation Slaying Oblivion Kick (a combo that when used atop Mount Meru kills everything on creation's surface simultaneously).
    Just to be clear, there's been no errata for existing Sidereal Martial Arts Styles, except for Sapphire Veils of Passion in Glories: Maidens, which received relatively minor tweaking. The rest are just too dysfunctional to have been given any real attention in the major combat errata.

Sidereal styles are supposed to evoke the esoteric, mind-bending martial arts of Old Master and the greatest martial arts myths, including things like the creation myth in Legends of the Wulin, where you transform the lives of people and nations with a perfect punch. Celestial styles are supposed to be high-flying wuxia with flaming tiger-souls around your fist and exploding houses. Terrestrial styles are closer to the understated stuff in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Hero, though a bit more consistently "above" that stuff, since you can turn into rock or wreath your fists in flames.
    Last edited by Plague of Hats; 2012-07-17 at 12:48 AM.
    what I am interested in is far more complex and nuanced than something you can define in so few words.

ಠ__ಠ

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ettin in the Playground

Only 25 constellations and seven other heavenly bodies are described in Creation. We don't even know if they have a north star. Make up what you need.

6. - Top - End - #1386

Thank you for your consideration. I am inept at developing my own content, unfortunately, and I do not possess nor can I afford either of those books. This leaves me at something of an uncomfortably position related to this, though I don't expect to receive more help than already have.
    Last edited by Sodalite; 2012-07-17 at 01:05 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Plague of Hats View Post
    Just to be clear, there's been no errata for existing Sidereal Martial Arts Styles, except for Sapphire Veils of Passion in Glories: Maidens, which received relatively minor tweaking. The rest are just too dysfunctional to have been given any real attention in the major combat errata.
    Yep. Currently the Sidereal styles are in a pretty bad place. Most of them are completely dysfunctional, and the only one that works, Sapphire Veils of Passion, is really boring. It's part of the reason why I'm having incredible trouble to homebrew a style. I just have no decent examples to work with.

My suggestio would honestly be that unless you're playing a Sidereal, you just forget Sid styles are a thing. Less headaches that way.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-07-17 at 02:58 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Yep. Currently the Sidereal styles are in a pretty bad place. Most of them are completely dysfunctional, and the only one that works, Sapphire Veils of Passion, is really boring. It's part of the reason why I'm having incredible trouble to homebrew a style. I just have no decent examples to work with.

My suggestio would honestly be that unless you're playing a Sidereal, you just forget Sid styles are a thing. Less headaches that way.
    Problem being that I am playing one. Journeys, specifically. So they all suck now?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

But if he was Exalting as Abyssal, that means he's dead.
    You can't Exalt if you're dead. The shard requires two souls in a living body to attach to - it's just a Solar shard switched into reverse.

Abyssals are almost dead when they Exalt - and if you Exalt as anything in that state, you get fully healed. Doesn't have to be an Abyssal shard that heals you.

Problem being that I am playing one. Journeys, specifically. So they all suck now?
    Sidereal styles don't suck. They're too good.

The capstone of Obsidian Shards of Infinity, for instance, is "You win. Now choose how you won."

Sapphire Veil of Passion is pretty well balanced. It's just boring.

Sidereal styles are (in-theme) essentially the replacement for Greater Astrological charms. So ask your ST if you can use those, instead~?
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-07-17 at 06:45 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Also, I still can't figure out who Miss Chainsaw Throne is. Is she an older version of Princess Charlotte? One of Heaven's Son's forms? Someone else in the Heaven's Reach shard (I haven't read it fully, so it's plausible)?
    Hatewheel posted up his art notes for the cover:

Spoiler
    Show
    Cover Title: Shattered
    The cover’s motif is a shattered mirror. The shards spirals around four main sections of broken glass at the center. These four sections are where our four images will be drawn. Each contains a different reflection of the Scarlet Empress. The Empress should be drawn based on the artwork of Melissa Uran.
    The four shards depict the following reflections:
    The first shard is the fighter pilot. She should have her helmet off, but she should be in her flight suit. Her appearance should match the image of the fighter pilot Empress inside the book. Whoever does the cover needs to have access to that picture if they are not the one to draw it.
    The second shard is the space barbarian queen. She is sitting on a rough throne, in a very unladylike pose, one leg up, arms slung over the rests. She is wearing a very low-hung scarlet loincloth with a black battle emblem of some sort. Her chest is wrapped. She has body paint on her stomach, shoulders and neck, and under her eyes. Her hair is long and wild, but still tied up in fashion reminiscent of her classic appearance. There should be a blaster rifle propped against her chair, close to hand, and a rack of autoklaves (mechanical daiklave) attached to the throne itself, that she can draw in an instant.
    The third shard is of the Empress as a modern Jane Doe. Short red hair (to her shoulders, or a little less), mid 30s, muscular. She is wearing a sports top, fingerless gloves, perhaps a jacket and baggy pants. She looks like she spends a lot of nights on the streets. She is a fighter, and has a determined look on her face. She is tightening one of her gloves.
    The final shard depicts the Empress as a secret agent in disguise as a secretary. She is holding a ledger, and wearing glasses. Her traditional long hair is shortened a bit, and worn up in bun or a stunted genie tail of some sort. Her outfit should be very upscale; if she is playing the part of a secretary, she is working at the highest level of one of the corporations that controls the world.
    Optional: Many of the surrounding shards can carry varying depictions of the Empress in various genres. They should include at least one rendition of her in her classic attire.

I don't ever remember an Empress-equivalent getting brought up in Heaven's Reach, but she's from there. I'm pretty sure literally everyone missed the rifle; it blends in with the chair and AUTOKLAVES kind of distract from it.

Sidereal styles aren't actually necessary until you hit high Essence, where they comprise your elder-level Charmset. You can't even get them until Essence 4.

Also, Sapphire Veils of Passion is balanced with some fixing for 2.5, Charcoal March/Citrine Poxes/Prismatic Arrangement are semi-usable with a lot of tweaking, and the rest should be avoided like the plague. There are a variety of homebrew ones of varying quality floating around, some quite good.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2012-07-17 at 07:58 AM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

11. - Top - End - #1391

Well, it depends. You can go by the writings of this unreliable being, and discover the Mauve Curtains of Indifference, which at least try to do something with their name.

Or you can explore the premise that Sidereals are really Fair Folk, and benefit from their errata too!

Once there was a maiden...

Broken Sutra

Who shattered mechanics with a single charm.

Any being bearing the Broken Sutra becomes unspeakably overpowered relative to others of similar essence, capable of avoiding any but perfect attacks, and inflicting blows that can only be evaded by perfect means. Since such benefits are priceless, these attacks and defenses cost nothing to invoke.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - the Broken Sutra is a scroll that is made of raw, mindless, lust for power.
    Unwanted Obsession Provocation Technique (x3) - people trying to dodge or parry (with a weapon or unarmed) the blows of the user of the Broken Sutra have a penalty of (owner's Essence), which is external at Essence 4+.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - the Broken Sutra is a scroll that is really made of raw, mindless, lust for power.
    Unwanted Obsession Provocation Technique (x3) - people trying to attack or shoot the user of the Broken Sutra with a weapon have a penalty of (owner's Essence), which is external at Essence 4+.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - the Broken Sutra is a scroll that is utterly made of raw, mindless, lust for power.
    Unwanted Obsession Provocation Technique - people trying to attack the user of the Broken Sutra unarmed have a penalty of (owner's Essence), which is external at Essence 4+.
    Elegant Muse Attitude (x2) - the user of the Broken Sutra has a bonus of +3 dice (from charms) to all martials arts rolls (for atatck and defense) as well as to dodge rolls, so long as the Sutra is in use.

Mockery of the Heavens

She then went on to have fun and play,

Having discarded all forms of vulnerability to combat, the follower of this style can then relax and perform implausible acrobatics without being bothered by the constraints of gravity.

1-dot Adjuration: "I shall mock gravity as often as I can"
    Gossamer Wing Flight - does exactly what it says on the tin.

Recreation of the World

rolling up another really cool Sidereal character.

Given that conflict is pointlessly easy to the followers of this style, all that remains are the opposing poles of awesomeness, granted by the Mockery of the Heavens, and 'Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies'. To avoid the latter annoyance, the Recreation was made. So long as it persists, its owner will not die. Since it's immortal, this can only end well.

1-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion - the Recreation looks exactly like its owner, and even has the same Abilities, Attributes, Specialties, and Health Levels.
    Whatever else - you have 5 mutation points to play with. Go wild.

Whenever the Receration gets killed, you can make another one, or repair the old one via Unshaped Sword Transformation. In the meantime, you're safe and sound in your own isolated bubble of reality, aka a Chancel.

The moral: At the level Sidereal Styles operate on, mechanics are of minimal value.
    Last edited by meschlum; 2012-07-17 at 09:00 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. Then you, my friend, are pretty screwed. See, most SMA styles tend to fall in one of three categories: ridiculously good (such as that tier 1 charm in Scaret Patterned Battlefield Style that makes you capable of moving to anywere you can see as a reflexive move, each tick), terrible for its cost, or does-not-actually-do-much-of-anything-by-mechanics.

So you can try to either get some of the Sid martial arts charms that aren't insane (most of the beginning of Prismatic Arrangement of Creation is not ridiculous, just very good) or non-working, or you can try to homebrew a new style for yourself.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    I don't ever remember an Empress-equivalent getting brought up in Heaven's Reach,
    Me neither. And after seeing this, I looked through The Frontier and The Exalted again. Nothing.
    I'm pretty sure literally everyone missed the rifle; it blends in with the chair and AUTOKLAVES kind of distract from it.
    Yeah. Brown chair, brown rifle, super attractive green-eyed redhead in revealing attire. I'm pretty sure everyone missed it.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-17 at 01:09 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ogre in the Playground

So... I've heard mention of the Gunstar, of Heaven's Reach, and of Burn Legend.

Where, oh where, is Modern Exalted?

Speaking of Burn Legend... It honestly seems to me to be some wonderful mixture of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in fluff, Street Fighter in intent and mechanics, and Exalted in details.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post

Speaking of Burn Legend... It honestly seems to me to be some wonderful mixture of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in fluff, Street Fighter in intent and mechanics, and Exalted in details.
    Exalted modern is in there. It's just not as good as Gunstar.

Though, uh... mortals seem to be winning in it. Temporarily at least. Go them?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post

Eh, Modern is okay. The other three Shards are more interesting to me.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-17 at 10:59 PM.
    My Steam profile

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually… would anyone like to run a Burn Legen game?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    It's the only setting which holds 0 interest for me. Sorry.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Already running, but it's on Rpol.net (Which is the only place I will run games). And it's rather full right now, with 14 players. I need a co-ST to stat NPCs up and help run fights >.<'
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah.

My main problem with Rpol is I'd probably forget to check it.

EDIT: I also want to play in Modern.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2012-07-18 at 12:26 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Troll in the Playground

You don't use bookmarks/favorites?

And there's a modern game that's going to be started up on Rpol.net. Plus I'm going to at some point be running the college version of my highschool Exalted game.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    And there's a modern game that's going to be started up on Rpol.net.
    To paraphrase the meme: Links or it didn't happen.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

I have to same problem as horngeek - Rpol is not a place I ever visit, so, even if I bookmark it, I won't think to check the game.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

And there's a modern game that's going to be started up on Rpol.net. Plus I'm going to at some point be running the college version of my highschool Exalted game.
    Last time I did Rpol, it kept doing funky things with my bookmarks, and navigating the site was like getting my wisdom teeth taken out.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

I have question guys- where can I find more information on Hegra? I've found her hearthstones in Broken Winged Crane, information about her two defined souls and her general description in MoCD: Malfeas, and I did scrape up some interesting tidbits from the Ink Monkeys stuff on infernal geomancy (the list of demesne and manse traits was really helpful, plus there were a few more hearthstones).

Is there stuff anywhere else? Maybe something else from Ink Monkeys? Possibly some First Edition stuff?

Also, anything on Elloge could be cool too.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Titan in the Playground

Most information on the Yozis comes from Second edition, and there it's mostly concentrated in CoCD: Malfeas, Infernals, Broken Winged Crane, and the Ink Monkeys. If you can't find it there, it likely doesn't exist.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    It's the only setting which holds 0 interest for me. Sorry.
    See, the other shards take some of exalted's cosmology and most of its rules.
    Burn legend takes the tiniest fragments of cosmology, and has its own rules.

I'm just not sure what makes it exalted, other than random namedrops.

Ah.

My main problem with Rpol is I'd probably forget to check it.

EDIT: I also want to play in Modern.
    I am also interested in Modern, especially if it uses our world. But either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I have to same problem as horngeek - Rpol is not a place I ever visit, so, even if I bookmark it, I won't think to check the game.
    I put my RPol games in my webcomics folder, since I open all that.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, so I guess I'm finally going to make that Infernal Charm for shapeshifting.

Stepping on Lunars' Toes (Even More)
    Cost: --; Mins: Essence 3
    Keywords: Heretical, Shaping?
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisites: By Rage Recast, Loom-Snarling Deception

Taking the shapechanging abilities of Malfeas, the Infernal carefully uses them in tandem with the deception of the Ebon Dragon.

This Charm permanently enhances Loom-Snarling Deception. It no longer carries the Illusion keyword. The appearance-changing illusion is replaced by true shapeshifting, a Shaping effect, as the Infernal is truly the form he has taken on. Up to four points in positive Mutations (not including purely cosmetic Mutations such as Skin/Hair Color, which are free) may be taken with any form.

I'm making this mostly because I don't want to play a Lunar. The animal powers... just don't appeal much to me. I basically just want Twin-Faced Hero.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-18 at 02:42 PM.
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Is there stuff anywhere else? Maybe something else from Ink Monkeys? Possibly some First Edition stuff?

Also, anything on Elloge could be cool too.
    The Ink Monkeys wrote a bit of description for several of the Yozis outside the primary five, which can be seen here. Not sure if you've seen that already.

Aside from that, nothing I'm aware of.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    The Ink Monkeys wrote a bit of description for several of the Yozis outside the primary five, which can be seen here. Not sure if you've seen that already.

Aside from that, nothing I'm aware of.
    I had not in fact seen that! Thank you.

I read about Geomancy in the Ink Monkey Compendium, and that section wasn't there.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2012-07-18 at 01:59 PM.