New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Greed is Good (IC)

He grins lopsidedly. "Gotta say, even the dumb ones make smart decisions sometimes. If they don't, well, survival of the fittest." He sniffles. "Thing about fightin' is that it ain't just about how hard ya hit. Ya gotta outsmart yer foe, win before ya even swing. Ain't as fun, but it keeps ya alive."

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

"The large one, as I said, is a great deal more. Six hundred, to be precise. It'd be worth more placed in a setting, though, if you're interested? If not, I can just give you seventy three for the smaller pearl." Jasper put his small magnifying glass back in its drawer, leaning on the counter and looking over at Lael.

"As for Mother of Pearl, it's quite common around here, though I don't work much with it myself. Plenty of hobbyists who'd be happy to find a supply though, if you're selling."

Thorus and Cecily

The weapons master of the keep wasn't a hard man to find. He was in the armoury, talking to the smith. There weren't any soldiers training in the yard at the moment, and the older man likely didn't have much he needed to do. He stood aside when the pair entered, likely assuming they were here for the smith.

"Hello, and good morning." The smith himself seemed to have drawn the same conclusion. "What brings you here?"

Glaffin

"Mmm, not often, at least to my understanding. Tharius speaks to all of us, of course." Taking a seat himself, the priest smiled. "If he's contacted you, it likely means he's had an idea. Something he wants brought about."

Alec

The bar Alec selected was called the Gull, and was a narrow building with grimy windows. Adrian stepped inside, out of the pirate's sight. Moments after he called out, the man who'd been following them stepped out from around the corner, looking a little sheepish.

"Didn't think you'd caught on. Lunch sounds better than drawing too much unwanted attention."

He followed Alec inside without saying much else. Adrian was over by the bar, peering at the menu posted on the wall. Fish featured heavily, to nobody's surprise. The Gull's special was fish sandwiches, or so the sign proclaimed. Inexpensive sandwiches, Alec noted.

Drawing up a table for them, the watcher dropped into a chair and called for ale. "So, you want to be heard out, what've you got to say?"

Indrys

"No, I don't live here. I'm just here on business. Signing off on a handful of agreements with the local Lord." Corvi seemed especially smug about this. Perhaps he'd beaten a rival to it, or maybe the lord was just buying a lot of things. Whatever the case, the elf was happy about it.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

3. - Top - End - #723

Lizardfolk

Alec orders a similar drink along with a sandwich of anything but fish, not particularly being in the mood for it after having smelt his wares all day at the stall. He leaves Adrian to order as he wishes, eating either at the table or the bar; he wonders what the boy will think about their lunch guest, particularly if he listens to the conversation, but this can also be a good opportunity to start easing him into the truth of what Alec actually does. It'd be crass to give him the shock of witnessing a murder later down the road with no forewarning (not to mention dangerous to Alec himself, if he doesn't know by that point how Adrian might react).

"Mostly I want to listen," he answers the watcher. He decides not to ask for the other man's name, or to offer his own. "I'm new to the city, and I'm not keen on making mistakes. You don't wander into someone else's house and start going through their pantry without permission, or even come inside without introducing yourself. I don't want unnecessary trouble in this part of town. You seem like the type to have your ear to the ground, to know your way around certain social circles, if you take my meaning--social circles that I don't want to anger by accident, even if I never meet them. So, as I said, I want to listen. I ask questions, you answer them..."

He discretely palms five gold coins from his pouch and sets them on the table, resting his hand nearby to keep them from being in full sight of the whole bar; this isn't the time to attract more stalkers. "...And I pay you for every one."

With the prospect of earning several night's rent for each answer he gives, Alec hopes the man's only hesitation will be suspicion at how good of a deal this is. True, one doesn't go around offering secrets in this sort of business, but if they're only discussing things that the average street-level Stormgate thug would know, then what's the harm? If it's for the purpose of helping an apparently-crooked merchant avoid rocking the boat, then hell, the local crime lords might even be happy. Not that they necessarily need to be told, particularly if they're likely to tax today's transaction.

To head off any fears that he's here for real secrets, Alec begins with something simple rather than waiting for his guest's decision: "Who runs business here? Whom should I get permission from if I want to operate on this side of the river?"

Of course, it's possible that there's some division in the ranks, or even that this man follows someone hoping to take the reins of power. Alec watches carefully for signs that he's being misled.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[16]

Sleight of Hand, just for fun, when he's bringing out the coins: (1d20+7)[16]

And I'll let you handle the Sense Motive checks. If this guy tricks Alec into supporting a local usurper, I don't want to spoil the surprise by knowing that I rolled low.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2013-03-09 at 12:42 PM.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

4. - Top - End - #724
    Barbarian in the Playground

Glaffin attempts a smile, but shakes his head as he lets it go, "It's not that our god has blessed me with vision that brings me pause, that has kept joy in my heart since it came to pass three days ago. It's the aspects that I saw in my dream that trouble me. In dwarf culture, the aspect that chooses you is the one that you choose, so to speak. Each of us follows a path not because of what easy and convenient, but because of where we were meant to go as he guides us." Not that Glaffin says aloud that the human settlements were otherwise, but seeing devotees of Water in Stormgate and to a lesser extent Seabreak, it seems to him that humans pick whatever god suits their needs and simply pay homage to it when they need something in return.

"So, a vision from an aspect that I have never followed is not something I expected to happen ever during my lifetime, nor is it something I've heard any legends of. If there was something he wanted of an earth following smith-cleric, it is currently beyond my means to understand what air and water seek from me." The dwarf leans all the way back in his chair, staring up at the ceiling and deep in thought.

"So here I am, smith by trade, alchemist by hobby, cleric by calling and merchant by necessity; and not one part of me knows how to answer Tharius' word."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

"Consider it yours, then." The drowess agrees, carefully placing the smaller pearl on the counter in front of Jasper. "And how much would you charge to place this one in a setting? I was thinking a brooch, or perhaps a ring? Also if you know the best place to find such hobbyists, I would be looking to sell a fairly large amount of mother of pearl, and would appreciate the tip."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

6. - Top - End - #726

"Hullo." Thorus says, addressing the arms master. "I'm visitin' from outta town, and I was wonderin' whether ya did weapons trainin'. I need a refresher course with swords. Fer my work." He'll have to go back to the wagon for his other gear and the chits, if the master agrees, but there would be time for that. Though, that did remind him; he should probably ask the group before just taking several hundred gold worth of tokens, since it was in his best interest to remain on their good side.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

"And I'm just here to observe." Cecily adds with with a cheery smile. She's quite looking forward to seeing Thorus in action in a less chaotic setting. It'll be interesting, and educational.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

"That depends entirely on specifications. I'll explain in a moment." Leaving the pearl sitting on the counter, Jasper vanished into the shop's back room. Laelaer could hear him moving around, metal clinking against metal as the shopkeeper moved something around. When he returned, it was with a small purse. Counting out coins, the jeweler elaborated on his earlier statement.

"Gold settings, naturally, would be more expensive than silver. Brooches are heavier, and worth more, than rings. If you ask me, silver might make a nicer contrast, but the choice is obviously yours. If you want anything special, engravings or the like, that costs extra. I do very fine, custom work. Made to order. What style of setting might you be looking for?"

Glaffin

"Perhaps he requires someone with a more grounded perspective," the priest offered, smiling slightly at his own joke. "None of us can claim to be privvy to His thoughts, of course. I myself have only ever spoken to Aquis, and that is the only aspect that has spoken to me. Here in Stormgate, water is the driving force behind all of our wealth. The ocean and the river sustain us, and the wind carries our ships across the ocean. You won't find many devotees of Terra, here."

"Of course, that could be the point. Tharius has brought you here, where wind and wave have the strongest connections. Do you think he may want for you to see, before you act?"

Thorus and Cecily

"In the yard, mostly." The master pointed behind them, at the area in front of the buildings. "You're not one of the Lord's soldiers, though. For your work, you say? Might I ask what you do?"

Alec

Looking at the gold, the man seemed to be weighing his options. After a brief period of deliberation, he nodded. The waitress passed by with their drinks, and then the other man spoke, keeping his voice low enough to avoid being heard.

"Ok, I'll bite. Things have been tough, since the Lord started cracking down on 'em. Who's in charge depends on where you happen to be standing. Down by the docks, here, it's Finley who runs things."

Out of the corner of his eye, Alec could see Adrian watching with interest. The boy had acquired a sandwich of his own, with slices of some kind of sausage from the look of things, and an ale of his own.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

9. - Top - End - #729

Glaffin chuckles, "It does seem that if I'm to puzzle out the meaning of my dreams, Stormgate's walls would be the perfect place to do so. And a life of wandering along the roads has grown tiresome already, though the company has left nothing to be desired. I will have to think on that while I still have the time to make a choice then." Reaching down to his belt, Glaffin takes a waterskin off an enclosed hook there and uncorks it, offering it to the priest before taking a long pull himself.

"Well, I thank you for your unique guidance brother. Now, I did say I was a merchant by necessity. I was wondering if you had any need of enscrolled spells to help aid your flock. I know that it isn't often a cleric can take the time to scribe down his spells for later use, and having a stockpile when your church tends to so many can be a great boon. I prepared a few on the road leading to the city, and if you have need for more of any specific spell then I would be happy to create them in exchange for fair pay." Glaffin is counting on the fact that most clerics haven't even learned the runes necessary to turn divine spells into paper and ink replicas. It was traditionally a talent of the arcane schools, and seldom picked up by his ilk.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

10. - Top - End - #730

Lizardfolk

It's probably for the best; Alec isn't sure he'd trust the water in a place like this.

As for his guest, Alec wants to follow up on a few different matters, but it's best to take them one at a time. He slides the first five gold coins across the table and puts a new five in their place, waiting to be earned.

"What can you tell me about Finley?"

~ Sophistemon

11. - Top - End - #731

"Bodyguard. One'a the merchants in town's hired me. Did a fair number on some bandits on the road ta Seabreak, if yer worried 'bout that sort of thing." He thumbs his nose. "I've got money, and army chits."

12. - Top - End - #732

The smile that graces Indrys' handsome features is warm, natural, and congratulatory when he hears of the other elf's success. It is also carefully calibrated to hide the gnawing jealousy that he feels twisting in his belly. Fate is a left-handed courtesan, he reminds himself. Our situations could have been easily reversed; there's no reason to hate this elf for his happiness. Oh, but he was starting to, despite his internal protestations, yes indeed. This well-dressed and wealthy Other, flaunting his greatness before Indrys, a pauper by comparison. The bite of jealousy is bad enough without the bitter poison it injects. "I am very happy for you," Indrys says, and his voice is smooth water above a raging undercurrent. He switches then into the Elvish acrolect, the high-speech of the court and attending nobility. To most others in the room, it would be nearly incomprehensible. "Would you call me rude(disrespectfully forward), great-sir, were I to inquire into the nature of the agreements that you have made? I am still early-come into the business of business(caravaneering) and the making of deals(contracts) is still relatively unknown(hazy and lacking in shape) to me." His face is serene while he awaits a response.
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2013-03-14 at 02:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm... I think a ring will be best." The drowess decides. She wasn't sure she would be able to afford much else, unfortunately. "And I will take your advice on the silver."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

"A silver ring, usually, will set you back three gold. That's for a plain band of silver, though. I can do engravings, or anything else you might like to make it a little more unique. It'll cost more, but the final product is worth it. I'll show you." Jasper walked over to one of the shop's display cases, pointing inside. This particular case contained rings of all sorts, set into the case's felt lining. Some of them were truly elaborate, delicate creations of fine metal wire and tiny gemstones.

"These take many hours to make properly," the jeweler told Laelaer. "A great deal of care and attention goes into each of my pieces. Anyone in the city would be lucky to own one of these, I assure you."

Glaffin

The pirest held up his hand at Glaffin's offer of water, shaking his head. "No thank you, my friend."

On the offer of scrolls, however, he was more accomodating. "I'd be happy to take them off your hands, depending on what you've prepared, and I'd be happy to support you by buying more. We do have one of our number who can make scrolls, but more are always useful."

Thorus and Cecily

"That sort of thing, yes." Thus re-assured, the arms master abandoned his conversation with the smith fully, walking over closer to Thorus for a better look. "Well, I'll find someone to train you, if you find some way to pay. Chits would work."

Alec

Alec's new friend pocketed the first five coins, looking at the second five with a gleam in his eye. Greed was something Alec had seen a lot of before, and this man had it in spades.

"Sure, Finley. He's an odd sort, sometimes vanishes for a while and then shows back up like nothing happened. Pretty brutal if you cross him, so don't cross him, and he'll be your best friend. Been trying to keep things low profile, lately, with the guard everywhere and him up in the keep making life difficult for legitimate businessmen."

There was something about the way he said 'legitimate businessmen' that caused Alec to believe he meant anything but.

Indrys

"You must be doing well enough for yourself, But it's a fair question." Corvi smiled, and Indrys got the impression that the other elf had been waiting for him to ask something like that.

"His Lordship required delivery of a large amount of wine, as well as other small items. Seeing how we own some of the world's finest vinyards, he came to my family, and I'm here to facilitate the exchange. Most of what he's ordered is fairly cheap, I'm afraid, but there's such a large amount of it that we'll still make money, and he did order a few cases of the more unique vintages for himself."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

"They're beautiful." Laelaer marvels. "How many hours, exactly? I am a member of a caravan that is visiting the city. We should be here for at least a week, though I cannot be certain beyond that. If you can guarantee your work to be finished before then, I would be glad to have you set the pearl. I like this design." A dark, slender finger indicated a ring featuring a stone embedded in a nest of silver wire.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #736

The dwarf smiles before capping his waterskin and reaching for his scroll case. The six sheets he pulls out are fresh and crisp, and he lays them on the table in two rows of three, tapping his finger to the one closest to him on the top right.

"A lesser spell of vigor, two here for more serious injuries that you would have the time to give proper care to. It's a slow spell as you likely already know, but one that can reverse more damage in the end than all others I'm capable of casting." He moves past the other lesser vigor scroll and to the third one close to him, "A blessing of Tharius, heals all minor wounds instantly, but only works on the devout of his cause. I don't pray for this one myself much these days while traveling among mixed company, but there was a time when my clan-brothers all benefited from its rejuvenating effects equally." Especially in the days after the quake took their home from them.

Moving down to the other more esoteric spells, he taps the one he's unsure about, "A spell of light and safe passage. I'm honestly not certain if you would have use for it, but you may know of its properties if you ever needed both a lantern and a means of defending yourself on a dark road. The light itself is strong, and can be cast from your hands to ward off or harm assailants. Particularly useful against the restless dead that Tharius may wish returned beneath their stones." He's not particularly concerned if the priest has no interest in that one. He can keep it for his own protection and absorb the cost of making it from his wages.

"These two, as well, are more for protection than care. A spell of aiming to ensure arrows and flung spells fly true, and a ward against spells that prevents a particular common magical assault, as well as bolstering your body and mind against spells in general. I attempted to make a variety while I was on the road, as I wasn't sure just who I would be selling to. I consider it fortunate that I found a friend and a colleague before a sale."

17. - Top - End - #737

Lizardfolk

The new five coins slide across the table, and five more come to Alec's hand. I could use this man, the pirate thinks. Buy him today, leash him with the promise of more gold and the threat of bringing him down with me if the local crime lords don't like my actions. He could vouch for my trustworthiness just for fear of being blamed by association: when the underworld purges competition, it tends to err on the side of caution. Yes, he could be a good pawn. Alec naturally has no sympathy for the harm his companionship may bring. On the other hand, good service should be rewarded. If matters go well, then this informant might be very glad to have met his new sponsor.

Before moving onto Finley's counterparts (there's plenty of time for them; Alec is fully willing to spend every coin he made from the fish so long as he keeps hearing useful things), he asks about this matter of criminal persecution. "Finley sounds smart; I'll keep my head down when I'm in his territory, if the guards are out for blood." A promise more to reassure the thug than anything, so he can honestly report that the merchant he met intends to play by the rules. Alec means it, too; it's wise not to draw legal attention to himself yet. "And they're putting more pressure on you these days, you say? Has something changed? Or is it always hard to get by in Stormgate?"

One concern lingers about Finley's regular disappearances. It's probably unrelated, but Alec still thinks back to Grimfist's setup. Surely Finley, leader of a whole domain (such that it is), wouldn't be getting his own hands dirty. Even so, he might have connections to the dwarf. Best to take care when Alec inevitably meets him--and probably best to take a nice bribe to counterbalance any requests for the pirate's braided head.

~ Sophistemon

18. - Top - End - #738

Oh, but of course the Corvi felt like bragging. And why wouldn't he? Indrys, too, would have reveled in similar self-satisfaction had their positions been reversed. He surmised that it was simply in their nature to appreciate their own success. Indrys listens intently to the other and only speaks once he has finished. "I have tasted the wines of your family," he rejoins. "And I feel that you speak too modestly. I have never tasted better." And then, after allowing the compliment to sink in, he continues. "A shame that his Lordship dealt more in quantity than in quality, but what else can you expect of a people with lives so short that they cannot afford to linger over the finer vintages?" Compliment the family first, and then the species as a whole. Yes, this was tradition. "Thankfully he had the presence of mind to acquire those few better bottles, yes?"

19. - Top - End - #739

Thorus nods. "Didn't bring the stuff with me, 's back at the caravan. I'll come back with it some time today er tomorrow. We'll be here a while yet." If he could convince the group to let him take them. But he was confident in his persuasiveness.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecily gives Thorus a curious look. Sounds like this would take more than his fair share of the chits. She'll be interested to here how he's going to convince the rest of them of that. For the moment, however, she just smiles to herself and doesn't say anything.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

Jasper positively beamed when Lael complimented his work - the jeweler seemed to be quite proud of it. "One week? I think I could have it done for you by then, certainly. Wouldn't be a problem at all. The way I normally handle custom orders is half payment up front, with the other half upon receipt of the final product. Will that be okay for you?"

"Your ring may not match that one exactly, such is the nature of individually hand-crafted pieces, but I'm sure you will be happy with the end result."

Indrys

"Thankfully, yes, though I gather those were the ones for his own personal stores. The rest, all the low quality stuff, he didn't say. I'm sure it wouldn't be for him, though. A man of his influence can afford the finest things in life - why settle for any less? Even if it was for him, it'd take one man a long time to drink all that!" Altio, Indrys was beginning to suspect, probably thought that he was a much more prosperous merchant than was actual fact, the way the other elf had waved off the comment about Indrys being new to the whole thing.

Cecily and Thorus

"That'd be acceptable. I don't keep a set schedule for individual training, outside of the army. Long as you don't come by some time awkward, I'll be here."

Glaffin

"Well," said the priest, running has hand over the scrolls. "I'm sure we'd find some use for these. Obviously the healing magic is of the most interest to us, we aren't often called on for combat blessings these days. At least, not here. You'd probably find a better market for those three amongst travelers, I'm not sure I could justify the expense to the high priest..."

He seemed to consider it, bending over to peer closely at the runes on the scrolls. "I could probably take the ward spell off your hands, but there wouldn't be very much call for those two." He decided, pointing at the scrolls for fending off undead, and for improving aim. "How much for the other four?"

Alec

"It's always been tricky, since the Lord was put in charge. I don't know for sure if anything's changed, but there's been more guards, more men for training up at the keep. Just recently, I mean. Finley thinks he's planning something." This man was a low-level thug, and probably wasn't paid to think. He couldn't really be expected to draw his own conclusions about that, though perhaps he should.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #742

That's about what he figured, if a bit better as he didn't expect the ward to go either, "Market value for these would be perhaps twenty five gold for each one, half that cost being the inks and the rest for the time and skill of the one who penned them. Since I've made six, and you're interested in the four, I'd just be making enough to live off if you paid me that. However, if you wanted to name a few spells more that you know you have need of, and the amounts of each, I wouldn't be averse to knocking some profit off of each scroll to make up for the bulk you'd be buying from me. Depends on how much spending you can justify to your high priest" Glaffin is willing to work within the boundaries of the man's budget so long as they both benefit, but even a church isn't going to get scrolls from him at the cost of making them.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Laelaer nods. "That seems fair. How much would I owe you, total?" She asks, hoping the price would not be too extravagant. She had been hoping to at least get a few more nights at the Bulwark, as well as a bit of something to invest into goods to sell.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

"Three gold now, and three later." Was the answer. "Working with silver, quite naturally, takes the price down a fair deal."

Glaffin

"Well, we're always being called on for minor healing, small injuries, and the like. Mostly accidents from the shipyards. These things happen, as I'm sure you're well aware. If you'd like to produce more healing scrolls for us to use, that'd help us out a lot. I'll get you the hundred crowns for these four, and ask the High Priest how much we can afford to spend on supplementary healing. How many more would you be thinking of making?"

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #745

Lizardfolk

A good but limited pawn, Alec amends, any possible feelings of guilt vanishing. If events go poorly for the informant, then maybe he'll learn to be a smarter judge of character. Alec has little patience or respect for people who don't at least try to question and interpret their world. Anyway, the easiest answer is that local leaders are preparing to sweep up whatever criminal elements they can, although by not working harder to hide their activities, Alec wonders if they're either overconfident or have different plans altogether. It's unlikely but possible that this lord instead wants to turn his attention to outward expansion. Rebellions should be conducted with far more secrecy, though, and a campaign to capture territory from a neighboring country would be more widespread, on a national rather than city level, unless it's unsanctioned, which puts it back in the realm of a rebellion. The simplest explanation seems best until more information comes to light: the underworld in Stormgate is just in for a hard year, and the ruler in the keep is unsubtle by nature or doesn't regard his criminals highly enough to bother catching them by surprise. Cleaning house might prove more costly than expected, in that case.

Alec pays the thug five more coins. "Tell me about your Lord," he says, ready to take the rumors with a grain of salt, given how little firsthand interaction this man could possibly have with Stormgate's leadership.

~ Sophistemon

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, but you do such lovely work in silver." Laelaer compliments, counting out the three gold crowns. She passes them over, along with the gold colored pearl. "I will be back towards the end of the week." She bids the jeweler a polite goodbye and steps out onto the street again.

Her business concluded there, she set out looking for a low- to mid-level place for lunch, where she might dig up some rumors. Were there other dark elves in the city? Did they have connections to the world below? She was also itching to find someone worthy to challenge to a duel. A friendly one, of course. Unless someone made the mistake to offend her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather information checks!

For dark elves (1d20+1)[13]

For a duel (1d20+1)[2]
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

27. - Top - End - #747

"As many as you think it's wise for you to buy, or as many as your high priest will let you buy if that number is less than you'd like. I suppose the only thing limiting how much I can make at once is the cost of the materials, which I'd need to buy elsewhere. I can buy quite a bit of ink and paper out of my own pocket with the crowns you're giving me, but I'd prefer not to buy too much and be left with no money for food and shelter going forward." Well, not no money, but possibly less than what he started with. As a craftsman before being a trader, Glaffin knows the value of not having too much stock just lying around and tying up profits that could be spent on new creative works.

28. - Top - End - #748

"Sounds like we'll be seein' each other again soon, then." Thorus nods to the two of them and walks out the door. When he's outside, he stops and looks up to the sun to see how much time he's got left in the day.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecily nods to the arms master and follows Thorus out. She steps up beside him and gives him a somewhat amused look. "I figure that'd cost us quite a few of the chits." She puts particular emphasis on the 's', just in case he needs a reminder that those chits aren't just his.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Laelaer

Leaving Jasper to get to work, Laelaer went in search of food. The city had plenty of places for that, mostly smaller establishments. There was a decently large variety, up in the market area. Down closer to the waterfront, it would be mostly fish, she was sure. First securing lunch, she then set about securing information. From what she had seen, there were few, if any, dark elves in Stormgate, and a round of preliminary questioning of the locals mostly supported that. There were a few rumours, here and there, of dark elves down by the waterfront districts, and a dwarf she met swore up and down that he'd seen one on the deck of a large warship only recently.

Strangely, everyone she asked to duel suddenly found they had nonspecific but extremely urgent business somewhere else.

Glaffin

"I'll see about having you get a little extra to cover supplies. Wait here."

The other priest left the room, leaving Glaffin alone to admire the workmanship of the cathedral. Someone had put a lot of effort into the building, and there were plenty of little details to inspect while he waited for the man to return.

When he did, eventually, it was with a small purse of gold and a scroll case. The purse was laid on the table, and the four scrolls it purchased were bundled into the case.

"Given the cost for the materials, we can afford to give you the twenty five apiece. If that's satisfactory to you, and you can have them done before your caravan leaves the city, we'll take twenty of the healing scrolls. Anything else we might need can be pretty easily provided by our own clerics on an individual case basis."

Cecily and Thorus

It was nearing lunchtime, the sun risen to its full height in the sky. There was still plenty of daylight left, for now.

Alec

The thug chuckled. "Now, there's a question would take all day to answer proper. The Fire Lord, he's called, and he lives up to the name. Follows Tharius Ignis, when most of the city takes more to water. He used to be some big-time battle wizard in the King's army, anyone could tell you that, and he got put in charge of the keep here to watch the river. City sprung up around the keep, so I guess you could say he's in charge of the whole thing, now. He's a smart one, though, he is."

Shaking his head, the man continued. "Likes to play things close to his chest, so nobody's ever quite sure what he's got cooking up. Captain of the guard is in deep with him, and no surprise there. Old friends is what I hear. Biggest trouble comes from the church. Word is he and the High Priest of Tharius don't necessarily see things all the same way. Me, I figure he just doesn't like challenges to his authority, and the church falls outside his command. Some of the guilds are heading that way, too."

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: