New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: IC-Pyrom

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default IC-Pyrom

As you awake, you realize the day has finally come. It is the day for the reaping of the 73rd games. A day that has stood out in your memory as long as you can remember.

You rise and dress for the occasion, as does everyone throughout the district. The nice clothes is a formality of course, but the district tends to treat it like a celebration. Congratulations will be spread about, with forced smiles on their face. But the truth is; Everyone knows that someone is going to die. Not today, but because of the events of today. It's a sobering fact.

Just like all the other children of the district, you line up with the children of your age. 18 of course. Girls on one side, boys on another. Your blood sample is taken as peacekeepers check everyone in for the reaping. Not that it matters. The silence everyone has is maddening. Along with those false smiles.

The time for Tributes has come.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please post your character's general appearance and his/her mannerisms as the reaping takes place. How it goes down is completely up to you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: IC-Pyrom

Pyrom watched carefully preparing for his chance. He had to be ready for when the call went out. He had to rely on reacting faster than Enale if he wanted to get in. The bugger would get his, this would be the ultimate finisher of their game of cat and mouse. If he made it then Enale would never get his chance to compete. He would never get a chance to prove himself and would probably never accomplish anything. Sure there were risks involved but if he got in it didn't matter if he succeeded or failed it would be worth it to mess up Enale's life.

He glanced up from his reverie when Enale's name was called. This would be even better than he thought. He didn't even have to worry about Enale calling out before him. He calmly raised hand to volunteer and walked up calmly. He felt some eyes boring into his neck in anger. A few people would be quite annoyed that he took this opportunity but they wouldn't do anything now that he was in the capital's eye. Enale looked odd, almost like he was relieved but that couldn't be right. Everyone wanted a chance to honor their district and rather he won or lost it was moot he would have been remembered for years, now no one would remember him and he didn't have even have a chance to be a victor.

When he turned around he was glad that he was wearing his mask. He hadn't realized just how many people there were in the district and now he couldn't help but be nervous. Thankfully the mask probably kept his fear secret.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Pyrom finds himself on the stage along side Ponine. And then the cheers of the district raise up. Your sacrifice protects them, and they praise you for it. Even Enale seems to be clapping.

“Yes. Very well done. Pyrom and Ponine everyone.” the capital man, Isidorus, says to the crowd. The district continues to cheer. It is a moment Pyrom will remember for days to come.

Then Isidorus begins to walk off stage, motioning for you two to follow. Leading you to waiting rooms, the two of you are separated. Within minutes your family arrives. As you can imagine, they are shocked at your actions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to post your families reaction to your volunteering before we continue on to the train. Also include anyone else who might visit. I'm inclined to think Enale wouldn't however. It's in your control.

Then, when you're ready, we will move on to the train.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Calm down, calm down. I told you what I was going to do. It's not my fault you didn't believe I would go through with it. Pyrom signed to his father.

His dad stared back for a second before signing back a large number of swear words. His dad always did that, generally he then stormed off to go fishing afterwards but he obviously wanted something else.

Son, try to win at least. I know you just wanted to get back to Enale. If you’re going to die do it swinging not at the starting block.

Don't worry, Pa. I am here to be remembered as long as possible. Volunteering and then killing myself would have them remember me but only a very short time. Besides it's better to be there when they remember me.

As he left towards the train he twitched slightly as watched the cheering crowds. Apparently, not everyone knew or cared that he wasn't supposed to be in these game. Why was there so many people...and they were all cheering for him. So creepy. So very creepy. As he poised for the cameras he nearly threw up as he watched all the other people. This was another one of those times he was glad that he wore his mask. The advantages were so immense. Why didn't everyone wear one?

He noticed Ponine staring back the crowd. Perhaps, she didn't like the crowds either. Trying to communicate with her would probably be for the best, she would be an ally soon and it would be best for the district if they got a long at least somewhat well. Pyrom sighed a bit as he slowly forces the air through his lips again to start talking.

Spoiler
    Show
    This going on over PM's again and they should be posting it eventually

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Just to clarify, you're talking about a mental/emotional mask, right? Just wanna make sure we're on the same page!

"You and all of Panem," mutters Ponine, with a twinge of something in her voice, "It's - it's nothing. Won't affect me in the arena." Who knows if that's true?

Finnick is waiting on the train, in his habitual stage of half-undress."You're not bad, you know. Not bad at all... haven't seen someone from Four with that good of a performance in ages. Feeling pretty comfortable out there, I take it? Not... worried at all about what could happen? District one's got a killer pair this time..."[/B] He grins, gesturing to the television broadcast of the reapings. "I wanna see what you'll do with your time... so little left. What's important to you?"[/B]

Maggs enters from one of the heavy train doors to your right. "Stop torturing them, Finnick," she chides him, gently, "No need to take your frustration out on them, right?" Maggs turns to you, smoothing her dark grey hair and smiling as much as she can. "I'm Maggs... and I'd like to be your mentor."
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-01-11 at 12:37 PM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Posting soon right now using phone, but no it is not an emotional mask, it is a literal mask. He spends a rather large time underwater making him socially inept and he is not comfortable with the idea that people are able to tell what he is feeling or thinking by his facial expressions.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Seems good to me...do you happen to know sign language? I dislike having to speak so it would make it so much more convenient if you did. Also do you think we should just wait until the train ride is over or should we talk about what is going to happen now? Particularly, what image should we be going for? The mask and robe thing could let me go for the mysterious stranger style, in which case I won't be able to talk at all for quite some time. Hard to be mysterious when you are wheezing and saying everything you can in one long breath. We could go for another style if you think it would get more sponsors, however the mask or something similar has to cover my face no matter what we go with. Pyrom gasps out, he then huffs a bit to get his breath back. He disliked being so forward but there was no way he was going to take another breath just to be less rude.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

She smiles and waves her hand before you start. "Let's go somewhere quiet, shall we? The element of... surprise, and all that." She tries another smile, and leads you along to a quiet room, so you can spill your guts. It seems she's already got you pegged, because the moment you finish, she's ready with a small glass of something bubbly.

"Well, it'll make you distinctive--Won't you have some? It'll help your voice, you know-- but I don't know if that's the best angle... Hm. I do like how prepared you are. But the sign language... I can't do. But when we get to the Capitol, I'll find you a translator, and it'll be all good from there, alright? But... can I ask a question?" She waits politely for your nod before continuing.

"I don't know if it's rightly my place... but why do you have on a mask? It's not something wrong, is it...?" Maggs asks, with some trepidation.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

No, my face is perfectly fine. I just don't like the idea that people can understand what I think simply by looking at me, after all my thoughts are my own to share as I please. The mask was the easiest way to make sure people wouldn't be able to tell. Plus, it has the bonus of when I sleep underwater I look just like I am dead, wearing a mask helps protect my face from the small scavenging fish and other carnivorous creatures don't eat dead things they didn't kill so it lets me get a better rest. Also what is the drink? Particularly, what are the ingredients in it, I enjoy knowing how ingredients interact as you can make such interesting results even if it does something as small as clear your throat. For example, if you know your body well enough you can mix chemicals together that can neutralize the effects of heat and cold. Pyrom said after he gasped to get his breath back. Then he drank a bit of the drink, he already knew it wouldn’t help but it was nice to know what it would taste like if it turned out to be a good combination.

Spoiler
    Show
    This assumes I can hold my breath and drink at the same time, if for whatever reason I can't just switch the order of the gasping and drinking.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

"It's something for your nerves, sweetie... I... always bring it for the new Tributes." She smiles kindly, but with a strong hint of sorrow. "As to what's in it... I couldn't begin to tell you. It's just from District 1, if that helps. Perhaps you can ask someone." She sighs, smoothing her dress and taking a deep breath.

"So, you want the mask... for your own reasons. Well, that could be good... could be very good. Perfect for a dramatic reveal at the perfect moment. How good is your face, beneath the mask?" She wrinkles her nose at the question, and sits awkwardly.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

No idea, I haven't bothered to look at my face in years. It just doesn't really come up much when how your face looks doesn’t matter. Anyways to answer your question to the best of my ability, my face looked about normal the last time I saw my face... again, that was years ago so who knows. As for a dramatic reveal, there is no way I am going to reveal my face unless I am dead or I have no choice in the matter. For example, when they are checking my masks for weapons or advantages I will probably have to remove my mask. Of course, then I am probably going to be wearing cloth to cover my face until the check is done. Pyrom said before gasping again to fill his lungs.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

She nods, extending the vial further out to him. "Please drink it?" Maggs leaves the bottle at your side and leans back. "Hm... Problem is, that you're trying to cut people out with that mask, and people are what you need. Almost every winner, honey, has had a Sponsor or ten. You'll *need* one to survive, Pyrom. You need to get them to love you somehow... can you figure out how? Cause... I'm sorry, but I don't know..." She sighs, and stands up to pace around the room.

"See, Py, I'm no good at the weapons and things. I'm being honest here: I can't help you there. But I can help you with people. I just can't do it alone."

Spoiler
    Show

How are you feeling about this story arc? OK for the character? Good growth? Or do you wanna go somewhere else?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

She nods, extending the vial further out to him. "Please drink it?" Maggs leaves the bottle at your side and leans back. "Hm... Problem is, that you're trying to cut people out with that mask, and people are what you need. Almost every winner, honey, has had a Sponsor or ten. You'll *need* one to survive, Pyrom. You need to get them to love you somehow... can you figure out how? Cause... I'm sorry, but I don't know..." She sighs, and stands up to pace around the room.

"See, Py, I'm no good at the weapons and things. I'm being honest here: I can't help you there. But I can help you with people. I just can't do it alone."

Spoiler
    Show

How are you feeling about this story arc? OK for the character? Good growth? Or do you wanna go somewhere else?
    Pyrom takes the vial and move his mask up slightly to take a drink.

Need to remember to make sure the mask I bring in has a mouth hole so I can drink and eat with out revealing my face. Why would people be more likely to sponsor me with out my mask? I get the whole empathy thing but 23 others show their face and what would the difference be between me and them? How would me becoming another face in the crowd make them more likely to be sponsored? It makes me feel better and I stand out in the crowd, seems like a win win to me. Pyrom said before starting to gasp again.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like character development but he won't take off his mask just because someone requested it. It doesn't help that I haven't really imagined the face beneath the mask, he was supposed to be the literal representation of the unpersonification (inpersonification?) of man and the creation of a monster to satisfy the demands of the majority. Sorry about it taking so long I had some tests recently so I have been quite busy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

She nods for a second, before coming to some sort of realization. Her face brightens, and she leans in. "You're faceless. You're struggle itself, the archetype of humanity. You stand out because you don't need a "face" to make you real. Your cry is "we're all human" or "don't judge me", right? You want people to stay back? Well... We do what Finnick is always raving about. We create your character that way."

Maggs stands up now, massaging a pain in her back. "We've reached the capitol, Pyrom. It's time for you to make that mask into a man, and something that they'll remember. You have to. You need to live."

Spoiler
    Show

I'm totally chill with that. I just need to know where you wanna go so I can set the signs and rails that direction.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

As soon as he was out of sight of the public and by himself in the bathroom he threw up. He looked around to make sure no one else was in the bathroom before flushing and taking several gasping breaths. Thankfully, he had been mostly accurate with the vomit and none had gotten on himself. Apparently, mixing drugs and a massive amount of nerves was not a good idea.

He hurried back to his room to get a quick shower before supper and to switch his mask to his more water proof mask. He felt a slight pain in his chest and when he looked down he realized that there was a little tumor like thing poking out of his chest and it was growing visibly. After some quick experiments with it he determined that it had part of his nervous system in it and that it allowed him to feel things like any hand could. It even wiggled a bit if he focused on it. What could have caused it though? The drugs he had ingested hadn't been properly tested but surely even they shouldn't have had this big of an effect. Further experimentation would be needed and hopefully the growth would eventually stop before it got too long. He quickly bundled himself up so that the growth wouldn't be too obvious and then he walked off to the dining room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling here
    (1d20+4)[18] Acrobatics

(1d20+2)[9] Climb

(1d20+5)[25] fortitude save bonuses and negatives added in afterwards.

Last edited by Hamste; 2014-02-04 at 07:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling for tests.
    (1d20+4)[19] survival
    (1d20+6)[7] nature
    (1d20+7)[22] reflex

(1d20+1)[16] will+con

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops missed the perception and spellcraft check.

(1d20+4)[8] perception

If I can I take 10 on spellcraft if not here it is

(1d20+7)[23]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Rolls

Swimming I automatically succeed on a dc 20 Check

Ranged attack (1d20+5)[13] (top left torso, on the 8)
    (1d20+5)[16] (Head shot on the nine)
    (1d20+5)[8] (Bottom torso, on the 7)

Grapple
    (1d20+6)[15] (End of the grapple, dunking it under water)
    (1d20+6)[11] (Middle of the grapple, dragging it towards the water)

(1d20+6)[20] (Beginning of the grapple with the tentacle bursting out)

Pyrom walked quietly into the testing room. His jumpsuit visibly withered around as if it was trying to escape. He didn't acknowledge the withering suit at all and simply picked up a light crossbow. He sighted down the range before shooting at the target. He hit the target in the head near the spot where an eye would have been if it was an actual person. He then quickly reloaded the crossbow and fired again. This shot was not as accurate as the last one but it at least hit the left side of the torso near where some of the organs would have been. He reloaded for his final shot but right before he fired his jumpsuit withered into his hand knocking the aim off. It hit in the groin area barely on the seven. Not bad, at least it hit in the groin...if it had been a real person that would have at least did something. Maybe, they will think I did it on purpose. Pyrom thought grimly to himself. He didn't bother looking up at his watchers. It was a pointless exercise watching if they were entertained or not. After all he should be as entertaining as possible for them whether they were bored or not as they could determine success or failure. He simply moved onto the swimming pool without trying to think about it too hard.

He made it to the swimming pool and without any delay or ceremony jumped in. He did several quick laps around the pool without coming up for air before he started doing more complicated flips, quick turns and fancy manoeuvres. During the entire performance he stayed away from surface of the water to make it clear that in no way he was he coming up to breathe during this time. After a little while he swam up as quickly he could and reversed dived back onto land. He looked up now just to check on the time left and noted that he had used most of it on that.

He walked slowly over to one of the dummies careful not to look rushed by the time and carefully examined it for a second in contemplation. Then he suddenly jutted out his chest and the tentacle that had been on it burst forth with an audible unzipping noise. He dearly hoped that had at least surprised the Watchers...if not there wasn’t much that could. The tentacle quickly latched onto the dummy and tightened around it. He moved in to grapple with his regular arms. He slowly started dragging it back towards the pool. He was surprised to find that he had some difficulty moving the dummy due to the weight but he managed move it with a few tugs. When he reached the edge of the water he jumped in pulling it in with him. He held it underwater with his tentacle around it's throat for a good three minutes before letting go and using it as a spring board to go back up to the surface. He focused for a second to force his tentacle back into his suit before zipping it back up and walking back out. Hopefully, that display would be enough to get him a good score. He wished that he had time to show them how good at camouflage he was but he didn't have the time for it with all the other things he had wanted to do and though it would have went nicely with his display of wrestling and swimming it just wouldn't do to not show any sort of traditional combat abilities to the Watchers.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2014-02-17 at 04:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"Alright, folks, we're back after that break, and we return to that one of my favorite districts, District 4! Responsible for the many products of the waves, as well as some of our most memorable tributes..." Caesar pauses for the obligatory pictures of Annie Cresta and Finnick Odair to flash up. "They send two very interesting stories to us! First up, we've got Pyrom, the enigma man. A round of applause... or, perhaps, excited whispers might be better! Let's talk, shall we?"

The cameras switch, and it's clear that the audience was no longer going to factor into the interview. Somehow, Caesar had told them he wanted a personal, man-to-man talk. It's almost like it wasn't a stage: the space between the two seems to evaporate. "So, Pyrom... brave man, a volunteer... career, if I'm not mistaken? Right, right. Well, I suppose we need to address the obvious first. You've got a mask." It's not a question, because no friend would ask one about the ornate covering, but it rests heavily to the viewers nonetheless. Who was this Pyrom?

[OOC: Please hit quote, and edit in your response to this, so that it all stays together. That'll make it much faster when I post it to the General thread. Also remember that whatever your reactions are will be seen by the Channel thread. Can't wait!]

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

"Alright, folks, we're back after that break, and we return to that one of my favorite districts, District 4! Responsible for the many products of the waves, as well as some of our most memorable tributes..." Caesar pauses for the obligatory pictures of Annie Cresta and Finnick Odair to flash up. "They send two very interesting stories to us! First up, we've got Pyrom, the enigma man. A round of applause... or, perhaps, excited whispers might be better! Let's talk, shall we?"

Pyrom walked into studio wearing a black and white tuxedo. His mask was pure white and it didn’t even appear to have any eyeholes or a mouth hole. He had wanted to wear something fancy for this and the mask offset that black tux nicely. He tried to ignore the audience as much as possible. It wouldn’t do to get distracted by them when he needed all his concentration.

The cameras switch, and it's clear that the audience was no longer going to factor into the interview. Somehow, Caesar had told them he wanted a personal, man-to-man talk. It's almost like it wasn't a stage: the space between the two seems to evaporate. "So, Pyrom... brave man, a volunteer... career, if I'm not mistaken? Right, right. Well, I suppose we need to address the obvious first. You've got a mask." It's not a question, because no friend would ask one about the ornate covering, but it rests heavily to the viewers nonetheless. Who was this Pyrom?

Yes, I do indeed have a mask. What is the point in pointing it out? You might as well have pointed out that I had a nose or a tongue. That would have been an interesting way to start an interview... You’ve got a nose. Then again, I guess you wouldn’t know if I had a nose under this mask... that’s a weird thought isn’t it? For all you know I could have no skin on my face or I could look like a loved one. Pyrom signed to his translator. The delay was annoying but he didn't really have a choice in this.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrom walked into studio wearing a black and white tuxedo. His mask was pure white and it didn’t even appear to have any eyeholes or a mouth hole. He had wanted to wear something fancy for this and the mask offset that black tux nicely. He tried to ignore the audience as much as possible. It wouldn’t do to get distracted by them when he needed all his concentration.

Yes, I do indeed have a mask. What is the point in pointing it out? You might as well have pointed out that I had a nose or a tongue. That would have been an interesting way to start an interview... You’ve got a nose. Then again, I guess you wouldn’t know if I had a nose under this mask... that’s a weird thought isn’t it? For all you know I could have no skin on my face or I could look like a loved one. Pyrom signed to his translator. The delay was annoying but he didn't really have a choice in this.

Caesar pulls something up from beneath his seat. "Do you know how to type, by any chance?" He opens up the box, and the camera scans across a string of letters in an odd order. Q-W-E-R-T-Y-U-I-O-P? "Might make things a little faster. Especially for this next bit... You said that you could be anything under the mask... but what do you want to be?"

The box sits open on Pyrom's lap, waiting use.

Spoiler: Skill Check
    Show

If you have any experience with Capitol Tech, you don't need to roll. Otherwise, make a DC 15 Intelligence check. It'll be about the same speed as a translator, but more direct, more powerful-looking.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2014-04-01 at 10:41 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I've never tried it before but I'm willing to try. Pyrom signed before he started to type.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. Sorry, just getting used to these controls. Anyways, I want to be a boon to my district. Someone who will be remembered even when this is all over instead of forgotten like the others. I mean no one ever remembers the losers if they aren’t from your district or if they did something extremely amazing. Even better I would like to be remembered not as just another dead fighter who died for their district but as a hero who future district 4 careers will look up to. He typed out. He kept a careful eye on where it was appearing to make sure that whatever he typed came out as he typed.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[17] Rolling first to see if he fails or not
    Last edited by Hamste; 2014-04-03 at 04:06 PM.