New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: The better man? There is no such thing [3.5 base class]

I really love the idea behind this class, and am excited at the idea of playing it in an upcoming campaign. However I had a few questions if it is not too much trouble.

Class Feature Questions
    1. This was essentially asked on the first page, but I do not remember seeing an answer to it. Improved Unarmed Strike says that you can treat your unarmed strikes as grouped natural weapons, but does that mean that you get bonus attacks from them that do not conflict with the Natural Weapons mutation limit? Or just that you can take Natural Weapons improving mutations and have them apply to your unarmed strikes?

2. Does Monster Sage apply to Knowledge Devotion?

3. The Mutant Ascendancy age change seems to be very vague and open ended, which does make logical sense. However would a person be able to cease aging entirely with it?

4. What is the starting age?

Further Homebrew Questions
    5. What would everyone think about a template that increases the number of mutations gained at each level? Something along the lines of a creature descended from a Progenitor, and thus more accepting of change. I would think at least +1LA for +1 mutation per level, but was hoping for some other views on it.

Thank you to everyone who reads and/or responds to this.
    Last edited by Tesla; 2013-03-11 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Forgot one.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    4. What would everyone think about a template that increases the number of mutations gained at each level? Something along the lines of a creature descended from a Progenitor, and thus more accepting of change. I would think at least +1LA for +1 mutation per level, but was hoping for some other views on it.

what about a mutant template? that adds a number of mutations=to HDX3?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

I really love the idea behind this class, and am excited at the idea of playing it in an upcoming campaign. However I had a few questions if it is not too much trouble.

Class Feature Questions
    1. This was essentially asked on the first page, but I do not remember seeing an answer to it. Improved Unarmed Strike says that you can treat your unarmed strikes as grouped natural weapons, but does that mean that you get bonus attacks from them that do not conflict with the Natural Weapons mutation limit? Or just that you can take Natural Weapons improving mutations and have them apply to your unarmed strikes?
    They don't interfere with the natural attacks gained through the natural weapons mutation. The limit in natural weapons only applies to that specific mutation, in fact. Any other natural weapons from any other source (even if said other source is also endemical to the evolutionist) can be added to a full attack with no compunctuation.

What the reading on IUS does is allow you to use all the fists you have in a full attack without suffering two-(multi-)weapon fighting penalties.

2. Does Monster Sage apply to Knowledge Devotion?
    Monster sage applies to skill checks to identify creatures. Knowledge Devotion demands a skill check to identify a creature. So yes.

3. The Mutant Ascendancy age change seems to be very vague and open ended, which does make logical sense. However would a person be able to cease aging entirely with it?
    Yes. It is quite expected, really.

You can also change it so that you age until a certain point (say, until Very Old or Venerable) and then stop. Never reaching the next tier of age or a maximum age.

4. What is the starting age?
    Evolutionists have the same starting age as the wizard.

5. What would everyone think about a template that increases the number of mutations gained at each level? Something along the lines of a creature descended from a Progenitor, and thus more accepting of change. I would think at least +1LA for +1 mutation per level, but was hoping for some other views on it.

I wouldn't put such a template at more than 1 mutation per character level and would make it at least a +2 LA. Early on, it wouldn't be much, but this template would give a lot of stuff.

And a number of mutations equal to HDx3 is essentially what the class gives.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-03-12 at 09:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

oh yea...true...now im feeling stupid XD
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

5. - Top - End - #425
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thank you for the swift reply.

1. Ah, that does indeed make sense, and allows for more natural attacking glory.

2. Just thought it worth checking since +4 is a larger bonus than I am used to seeing for Knowledge skills.

3/4.Alright then, thank you very much for the information.

5. Sounds logical to me, and still workable with what I have access to.

Inuyasha: I could still see use in such a powerful template, but not as player accessible. A BBEG with 122 mutations would be a very valid threat I would say.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

would it be possible, if you pick the right mutations, to evolve into big T? and if it isnt, Mr. Draken sir could you make it possible?

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    would it be possible, if you pick the right mutations, to evolve into big T? and if it isnt, Mr. Draken sir could you make it possible?
    You would be one size category short (unless you went Giant instead of Magical Beast) and wouldn't have quite the same ammount of Regeneration (nor would it be quite as impossible to beat).

But other than those details, Big T requires about 13 mutations to get the basics of his setup in (minus his immunities). Let me try a build here. 20th level, basic elite array for abilities.

Tarrasquean
    Spoiler
    Show
    Human Evolutionist 20
    Gargantuan Magical Beast
    Hit Dice 20d8+120 (213 HP)
    Initiative +10
    Speed 40 ft
    Armour Class 22 (+13 Natural, +3 Dex, -4 Size), touch 9, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +20/+46
    Attack Bite +35 (3d8+26; 18-20/x3)
    Full Attack Bite +35 (3d8+19; 18-20/x3), Gore +30 (3d6+12), 2 Claws +30 (2d6+12), Tail +30 (3d6+12)
    Space/Reach 20 ft/15 ft
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab (Bite), Swalow Whole, Frightful Presence (DC 24), Sprint (400 feet charge once per minute).
    Special Qualities: Scent, Fire Immunity, Fast Healing 9, Regeneration 10 (does not take normal damage from slashing, piercing or bludgeoning attacks), Spell Resistance 30 (any spell that fails to beat this is reversed onto the caster).
    Saves Fort +20, Ref +18, Will +9
    Abilities Str 38, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Skills Balance +6, Climb +18, Concentration +11, Escape Artist +6, Hide-6, Jump +18, Listen +15, Move Silently +6, Search +5 (+7 if using scent), Spot +15, Survival +3 (+5 following tracks with scent), Swim +18, Tumble +6.
    Feats: Great Changer x8, Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Power Attack(B), Improved Initiative (B), Combat Reflexes (B), Blind Fight (B).
    Treasure: Appropriate for a 20th level character.

Monster Sage: Guess who didn't take a single knowledge skill? That is right, you!

Mutations: The Tarrasquean has 82 mutations.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Basic:
    Evolve Combat Instinct - 10
    Evolve Fortitude - 3
    Evolve Reflexes - 3
    Evolve Resilience - 1
    Evolve Talent - 1

Innate:
    Extra Senses - 1
    Natural Armor - 4
    Natural Weapons - 4 (Bite, Gore, Claws, Tail)
    Nimble Form - 3
    Powerful Form - 4
    Resilient Form - 6

Extraordinaire:
    Augmented Critical - 3 (Bite (18-20/x3)
    Damage Reduction - 5
    Energy Resistance - 5 (Fire Immunity)
    Fast Healing - 5
    Frightful Presence - 1
    Improved Grab - 1 (Bite)
    Scent - 1
    Spell Resistance - 5
    Sprint - 6
    Swalow Whole - 1

Supernatural:

Spell-like:
    Spell Reversal - 9

Psi-like:

Teratomorphisms: The Tarrasquean has six teratomorphisms.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Teratomorph I: Tauric Body - The Tarrasquean has a somewhat stooped posture, like a theropod dinosaur.

Teratomorph II: Size Increase I - The Tarrasquean is big.

Teratomorph III: Regeneration I - The Tarrasquean is hard to kill.

Teratomorph IV: Size Increase II - The Tarrasquean is really big.

Teratomorph V: Regeneration II: The Tarrasquean is really hard to kill.

Teratomorph VI: Size Increase III: The Tarrasquean is really freaking big.

Mutant Ascendancy: The Tarrasquean has ascended into a Magical Beast. All of his natural weapons have an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls of +5.

Mutant Perfection: The Tarrasquean has achieved perfection as a Magical Beast.

Ok. Details.

The Tarrasquean is all over the place. As far as builds go, this is very unfocused and has a lot of superfluous or underutilized things, it also goes out of its way to avoid taking some useful stuff.

It moves much faster than the default tarrasque and its attacks actually deal more damage, however! Frightful Presence does not last as long and it has overall inferior stats because we are working at half the beast's HD here. A level 48 evolutionist emulating the tarrasque would run out of stuff to emulate at level 30 more or less and would probably start having to shore the build's holes out of simple lack of options.

The above character includes no benefits from magic items.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-03-15 at 10:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

The tarrasque always seemed so weak in 3.X as compared to its earlier incarnations anyway. All you have to do is cast fly, and it's basically helpless against you.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Gloom [Supernatural]
    Prerequisite: -
    Ability Score: None.
    Benefit: The evolutionist projects a radius of Darkness as the spell, with a radius of 10 feet centered on him. This ability can be suppressed or activated as a swift action.
    Further Mutations: Each time this mutation is taken after the first, the radius of the effect increases by 10 feet.
    Just to be clear, can gloom be taken once per level?
    Is there maybe a way to upgrade the effective spell level of the ability to counter higher level [light] spells, such as making it equivalent to deeper darkness after taking it X times?
    Maybe some way to create a blacklight (SpC p30) like effect and create actual darkness instead of just shadowy illumination?
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Just to be clear, can gloom be taken once per level?
    Is there maybe a way to upgrade the effective spell level of the ability to counter higher level [light] spells, such as making it equivalent to deeper darkness after taking it X times?
    Maybe some way to create a blacklight (SpC p30) like effect and create actual darkness instead of just shadowy illumination?
    As it stands yes, it can be taken once per level.

I will make some changes to it in the spirit of your questions. Gloom is kind of a one-point wonder as it stands.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, with the Outsider Teratomorph I Arms of the Outer Planes, are extra (paid) enchantments tracked separately for cost? That is, if I were 8th level and had that teratomorphism for a +2 greatsword, would paying to upgrade it to, say, a +2 flaming greatsword cost 2,000 gp or 10,000 gp?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Hey, with the Outsider Teratomorph I Arms of the Outer Planes, are extra (paid) enchantments tracked separately for cost? That is, if I were 8th level and had that teratomorphism for a +2 greatsword, would paying to upgrade it to, say, a +2 flaming greatsword cost 2,000 gp or 10,000 gp?
    This has been adressed. Same for Armor of the Outer Planes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #434
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Is there any possibility of adding a feat/mutation/teratomorph that grants Evasion or Mettle? Are there thoughts against such an idea?

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any possibility of adding a feat/mutation/teratomorph that grants Evasion or Mettle? Are there thoughts against such an idea?
    The evolutionist has multiple ways of not caring about the stuff that is usually denied by Evasion and Mettle.

That is the proper answer, I suppose. Truth be said I never felt like those abilities... Fit into the framework of the class. Even the Uncanny Dodge given by Extra Senses is actually an artificial means of providing All-around Vision without locking characters into (necessarily) a bunch of eyes. It can also be a bunch of ears or a bunch of noses.

Anyway. New stuff and changed old stuff.

Base Class:
    Class Skills: Changed. The evolutionist can now chose any ten skills to be his class skills (a moderate downgrade from the old sixteen class skills).
    Mutations: Mutations per level changed from five at level one plus three each level afterwards to six at level one and four each level afterwards.

Basic List:
    Changed:
    Evolve Aptitude - now gives three class skills. No longer gives skill points, but provides a bonus to all skill checks. Can be taken up to 5 times.
    Evolve Skills - Now gives 6 + 2*mutator level skill points per mutation. Can be taken once per mutator leve, up to three times.

Extraordinaire List:
    New Mutation - Trail. An upgrade for slime.

Supernatural List:
    New Mutation: Glare - An altered version of the old Gaze mutation, avaiable earlier.
    Changed:
    Gaze - Now an expansion effect for Glare.

Feats:
    New feats:
    Expanded Creation - A treat for anyone who likes Budding Creation. It has another expansion coming soon, in fact.
    Force and Verve - A general feat for anyone who has sonic effects. Like bards.
    Great Changer - Removed. Enjoy your newfound feat slots that are not taken by an all-but-mandatory feat.

Plant List:
    New Mutation - Bounty. An upgrade for nourishment.
    Changed:
    Grove - Bounty upgrade renamed to Garden.
    Nourishment - health given increased to two times mutator level plus constitution modifier.

Undead List:
    Changed:
    Gloom - Plenty of new effects on it.

Due to wordcount limits, the Undead list has been moved to another post. As of this writing, said post is after three sequential posts by bobthe6th that used to be a small exchange between him and Selinia.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-03-25 at 12:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

16. - Top - End - #436
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

This is a wondrous edition of this extraordinaire class, The new editions make my plant dude oh so more fun.

Would it be safe to assume that all prestige classes also gain 4 mutations instead of 3 per level, and the skill list changes to the new?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiacomon View Post
    This is a wondrous edition of this extraordinaire class, The new editions make my plant dude oh so more fun.

Would it be safe to assume that all prestige classes also gain 4 mutations instead of 3 per level, and the skill list changes to the new?
    Oh. I forgot the skill changes, but I did make a change to the mutations gained by the prestige classes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

18. - Top - End - #438
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

First off, thank you for answering my question. It is appreciated.

Now this may actually be a stupid question, but does Elemental Infusion work with ranged weapons? I ask because my current build idea is very fragile at early levels, and adding to my full attack list would be nice.

Also I like quite a few of the new changes to be honest, and I admit that I am really fond of the Glare mutation despite its static effect duration. Thank you very much for the new developments.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

First off, thank you for answering my question. It is appreciated.

Now this may actually be a stupid question, but does Elemental Infusion work with ranged weapons? I ask because my current build idea is very fragile at early levels, and adding to my full attack list would be nice.

Also I like quite a few of the new changes to be honest, and I admit that I am really fond of the Glare mutation despite its static effect duration. Thank you very much for the new developments.
    Elemental Infusion is supposed to work with ranged weapons, indeed.

And glad you like glare. It was a change mainly to add more interesting options before level 5. Those were kind of lacking.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

why did you upgrade mutations per level? I thought they were fine actually

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

why did you upgrade mutations per level? I thought they were fine actually
    I noticed that pretty much every evolutionist build I could think of (and most that I saw otherwise) piled up on Great Changer as many times as possible and felt starved for mutations otherwise.

In light of that I decided to just remove great changer and make the mutations it gave baseline (with a small bonus, granted).

More changes!

With some luck, this adresses one of the last truly broken things in the evolutionist's load-out. Namely, tons of ability damage.

Extraordinaire list:
    Changed:
    Poison - now has a set limit of daily uses.

Undead Teratomorphisms
    Consume Life I and II - Colapsed into a single teratomorphism, set to rank III with the effects of Consume Life II. Now also includes ability penalties you inflict.

New Teratomorphism:
    Rejuvenation - Rank V: Revive somewhere like a Lich, ghost or vampire.

Undead List:
    Ability Damage - Gone.
    Ability Drain - Gone.

Energy Drain - Modified. No longer applies on any negaton touch (but can apply negaton touch instead).

Create Spawn - Modified to better comply with changes to Energy Drain and disappearance of Ability damage/drain.

New mutation: Debilitate - Debilitate takes the place of Ability Damage. It inflicts a penalty instead (which does not stack with itself, but starts off bigger than damage used to).
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-03-26 at 09:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #442
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

I like the additional changes, new teratamorphism or however one spells this. However, looking over the plant mutant ascendancy; I saw immunity to critical hits but not sneak attack.
    I thought these were the same kind of damage, Wouldn't surprise me if I am confused but none the less curious.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

I noticed that pretty much every evolutionist build I could think of (and most that I saw otherwise) piled up on Great Changer as many times as possible and felt starved for mutations otherwise.

In light of that I decided to just remove great changer and make the mutations it gave baseline (with a small bonus, granted).

More changes!

With some luck, this adresses one of the last truly broken things in the evolutionist's load-out. Namely, tons of ability damage.

Extraordinaire list:
    Changed:
    Poison - now has a set limit of daily uses.

Undead Teratomorphisms
    Consume Life I and II - Colapsed into a single teratomorphism, set to rank III with the effects of Consume Life II. Now also includes ability penalties you inflict.

New Teratomorphism:
    Rejuvenation - Rank V: Revive somewhere like a Lich, ghost or vampire.

Undead List:
    Ability Damage - Gone.
    Ability Drain - Gone.

Energy Drain - Modified. No longer applies on any negaton touch (but can apply negaton touch instead).

Create Spawn - Modified to better comply with changes to Energy Drain and disappearance of Ability damage/drain.

New mutation: Debilitate - Debilitate takes the place of Ability Damage. It inflicts a penalty instead (which does not stack with itself, but starts off bigger than damage used to).
    why are you removing and weakening things silly

and also could you consider upgrading create spawn to possibly ghouls/ghasts and maybe even wights?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-03-26 at 09:51 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiacomon View Post
    I like the additional changes, new teratamorphism or however one spells this. However, looking over the plant mutant ascendancy; I saw immunity to critical hits but not sneak attack.
    I thought these were the same kind of damage, Wouldn't surprise me if I am confused but none the less curious.
    If I recall correctly, I literally copied that from the plant entry in the srd/MM. As far as I recall, critical hit immunity also means sneak attack immunity unless stated otherwise.

why are you removing and weakening things silly

and also could you consider upgrading create spawn to possibly ghouls/ghasts and maybe even wights?
    Because it is overpowered!

That is the answer to both questions, in fact. Wights are not happening. neither are ghouls.

Also another change:

Basic List:
    Evolve Resilience - Changed to 2 HP/HD and 1/4 ML.

Construct List:
    Hardened Body - Removed due to redundancy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

25. - Top - End - #445
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

With regard to harden body, even if the same mutation pretty much exists on another special list its just that: on another special list. Personally, I think it fits better with the constructs than with the elemental, but that's just me. Either way, there is no reason they can't both have a mutation that does that. Maybe just put the same mutation on both lists?

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omnicrat View Post
    With regard to harden body, even if the same mutation pretty much exists on another special list its just that: on another special list. Personally, I think it fits better with the constructs than with the elemental, but that's just me. Either way, there is no reason they can't both have a mutation that does that. Maybe just put the same mutation on both lists?
    Hardened Body was just another mutation that gave 1 hit point per hit dice.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

27. - Top - End - #447
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes but it allowed you to go past the normal limit of Evolve Resilience since you can take it separately. And it makes sense for constructs, they're highly resilient creatures, so having the ability to double up and get Uber HP is actually not a bad option.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh. You know what I thought you did.

Also, EdroGrimshell makes a good point.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, but it became superfluous when I changed Evolve Resilience to basically pull double time.

And technically, uber construct beefiness is the Living Fortress T-morph.
    Last edited by Draken; 2013-03-27 at 12:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

im sad about the missing ability drain :(

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies