New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Abberant Final Boss?

Just for future reference, is there any kind of endgame boss fight with something like a Uvuudaum in 4e? The players in my campaign are starting to really get a taste for fighting Abberant stuff (two of them are also in a Call of Cthulhu game, so that hate comes easy to them), so I'm probably going to be focusing more on the subplots that would lead to a fight with a Far Realms God of sorts at level thirty.

...If that isn't an option, how would I go about homebrewing one?
    Last edited by Jesse Booth; 2015-12-18 at 02:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Aberrant (sorry, I had to correct your spelling) Final Boss?

What about Allabar, Opener of the Way (l30 solo soldier) from MM3 or a behilder ultimate tyrant (L29 solo artillery) from MM2? (The latter will need its maths adjusted.)

They're much better final bosses than an uvuudaum which basically translates into a solo brute in 4E with little sense of being a mastermind or a boss
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Abberant Final Boss?

Oh, there's also Belashyrra from the Eberron Campaign Guide!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    ...If that isn't an option, how would I go about homebrewing one?
    Allabar, Opener of the Way from MM3 is an excellent choice even if he is a bit low level for a culminating boss of an epic campaign (unless you give him friends to pump up the encounter level a bit, which doesn't really make sense since he's supposed to be a friggin' planet).

Another option would be to use the Dragon of Tyr (33 solo cont) from the Dark Sun Creature Catalog and just change his appearance to be whatever you need/want (he already does copious amounts of psychic damage and reality warping so mechanically he's very effective as an aberrant). Dregoth, Sorcerer-King (30 solo cont) would also work, though you'd probably want to change some of his cold/fire damage to psychic since otherwise he wouldn't have any.

There are plenty of very nice high level solo creatures that be used for your purposes. All you really need to do is change their appearance and then change some damage types. Unless your players are incredibly knowledgeable about the various monster books, they'll never notice that the crazed aberrant beast they're fighting is actually just an ancient red dragon with a fancy new paint job (I know that my players have never noticed).
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Dragon of Tyr sounds perfect for what I had in mind. Thank you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

After looking through the various Gods, Primordials, and Demon Princes I could get my hands on recently, I'm thinking about going with Cryonax, with some changes to fluff and damage type.
    Last edited by Jesse Booth; 2015-12-28 at 12:37 AM.