New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

A430
    It looks to me like it would. Each one is a separate damage roll, so each damage roll would have bonuses, vulnerabilities, and resistances applied independently.

That may not be what was intended, but that's certainly how it's written.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Bugbear in the Playground

A430

Yes. It's a pretty fantastic combat power, mechanically, which partially makes up for much of the rest of the path being non-combat related.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

Q431

Can you use Arcane Implement Proficiency to use a Spear as an implement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

A431 Considering no arcane class uses spears as an implement, no. However, you can achieve this by multiclassing into monk, since monks can use any weapon they wield as an implement.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

Multiclassing monk doesn't work.
    There are two monk multiclass feats.
    The first lets you use ki foci and all weapons you're proficient with as implements. But only when using a monk power or monk paragon path power.
    The second lets you use ki foci, no matter what attack it's for.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

And besides, unless there's a way to take two multiclasses as a Swordmage, I'm not sure about what I would do.
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Orc in the Playground

You can also MC into an assassin, Acolyte of the Veil is not a bad MC feat in general.
    Tiefling Paladin|Warlock/Entrancing Mystic Avatar by Phae Nymna

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

No, the problem is that I already need to MC into Fighter, and now I have to pick up another MC feat.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    The first lets you use ki foci and all weapons you're proficient with as implements. But only when using a monk power or monk paragon path power.
    That was errata'ed, actually.

But no, you can't MC twice. Perhaps you can ask the DM for the arcane equivalent of an Alfsair Spear?

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

It is? Where?
    Note I'm not referring to the general rules on multiclassing for implement proficiency, I'm referring to the specific multiclass feats for monks.

A warlock multiclassing wizard will be able to use his warlock powers through a orb, since the warlock multiclass feats states:

'In addition, you can wield wizard implements.'

If the same warlock multiclasses monk, he will not be able to use his mace as implement, since the monk multiclass feat states:

'In addition, you can wield monk implements when using monk powers or monk paragon path powers.'

I agree that the rules are a little shaky, but I think getting to use all weapons as implements for one feat is not what the developers intended.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    It is? Where?
    WOTC's main errata document. The feat now reads "In addition, you can wield monk implements" full stop.

12. - Top - End - #1062

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    WOTC's main errata document. The feat now reads "In addition, you can wield monk implements" full stop.
    IIRC they made that change to every MC feat.

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

I would have thought that the online Compendium is considered more up-to-date than the errata document ... ? Compendium does not have that language for monk multiclass feats, mentioning only ki focus.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ettin in the Playground

No, it isn't. In the declining days of 4e, the online compendium got worse and worse.

15. - Top - End - #1065

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I would have thought that the online Compendium is considered more up-to-date than the errata document ... ? Compendium does not have that language for monk multiclass feats, mentioning only ki focus.

The online compendium isn't considered a rules source at all. It's maintained by a 3rd party that WOTC contracts with, and while they often get things right, the published version is the proper one, unless errata'ed or superseded by a later source (Rules Compendium, for example, overwrites a bunch of things from the PHBs).

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Well, in light of that ...

Q 432

Is there a single collected uber-update, and if not, how can I make sure I have the most recent update for each book?
    Where do I go to obtain them?
    Is there a way to be notified as soon as new updates are published?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Well, in light of that ...

Q 432

Is there a single collected uber-update, and if not, how can I make sure I have the most recent update for each book?
    Where do I go to obtain them?
    Is there a way to be notified as soon as new updates are published?
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...updatesarchive contains all the errata. I do not know of a system to get notified when they add to the list, though.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...updatesarchive contains all the errata. I do not know of a system to get notified when they add to the list, though.

Grey Wolf
    Considering the last time they added to it was August 2012, and that they're working on D&D Next, it's unlikely they're adding to it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Titan in the Playground

A 432

What Grey Wolf said, plus note that WOTC hasn't doneg new updates for over a year now, and general expectation is that they won't do any updates any more (since they've got 5E now).

Also, it's worth noting that several things have changed between the 4.0 and 4.4 that are not mentioned in the errata document, such as how exactly Mage Hand works. I don't think anyone has a complete list of these.

20. - Top - End - #1070

Q 433

Does the extra damage from Light Blade Expertise get added to Sneak Attack? What kind of things get added to Sneak Attack in general? I know that it's maximized on a crit. Does it inherit all keywords from the power you're activating it with?

For reference:
    You gain a +1 bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a light blade against a creature granting combat advantage to you.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

A 433

Sneak Attack isn't separate damage, it's extra damage that gets added to something else. Nothing at all adds to sneak attack unless it explicitly spells out that it adds to sneak attack in particular (which is very rare, but an example is the brutal scoundrel feature). No, LBE doesn't do that.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q434

Can you get the +1 to AC from a Rhythm Blade Spiked Shield if you don't have shield proficiency? Shouldn't even be able to put it on a shield, mumble grumble...

Q435

This is sort of a nested question:

1) Can Clerics use Tomes? They're only listed as being able to use Holy Symbols, and I know that they can use any implement they are proficient with from multiclassing for their cleric powers, but the character in question is multiclassed Shaman and they don't get it either. I don't doubt the player, I just am not sure on what basis Clerics can use Tomes.

2) Related to the above, does Tome Expertise grant its benefits to summon powers that are not used with the Tome? Spirit Companion is the specific power in question if it makes a difference.

3) Can Tome Expertise be used on an item power; namely, Prison of Salzacas? I'm inclined to houserule this one away even if it does work RAW, barring some compelling reason not to, but I'd like to hear other opinions on the RAW before doing so.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

23. - Top - End - #1073

A435

I don't necessarily know the answers to the specific questions, but having played a Shaman before, I think I know where this is going.

The benefit to conjuring that Tome Expertise grants doesn't require that the character have proficiency with tomes, or even that they use one.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground

A434 Although RAW is ambiguous, general consensus on the forums is that rhythm blade increases your shield bonus and does nothing if you don't actually have a shield bonus. Without shield proficiency, shields don't give a shield bonus.

A435 No, clerics cannot use tomes (except if they multiclass to wizard, or MC to another arcane class and take AIP). Yes, tome expertise is badly worded and functions as Shamgar indicates. Yes, it also works on Prison of Salzacas (which, by RAW, is a wondrous item so doesn't even require a free hand). Yes, this combo is kind of cheesy.

(RAI is most likely that Tome Expertise requires you to wield a tome, just like any other expertise feat, and it would be reasonable to rule it that way)

25. - Top - End - #1075

A 434

The rules are a little vague here, but I would say no. For implements there is specific text that say proficiency is required to gain properties (RC275). For weapons, the closest thing is this:
    Quote Originally Posted by RC273
    When a weapon is used as an improvised weapon, the weapon's normal characteristics (such as properties, powers, bonuses, and critical hit effects) do not apply. For instance, if an adventurer smacks an adjacent enemy monster with his or her magic bow and scores a critical hit, the bow's critical hit effect does not apply.
    When a weapon (spiked shields are weapons and shields) is used without proficiency it is treated as an improvised weapon. Improvised weapons don't apply "normal" properties by strict RAW and don't apply magic properties by example and by implication.

Edit: And of course Kurald brings up a much simpler and possibly more valid point. :P It's also worth noting that Wrist Blades are a Simple Melee weapon and thus do essentially the same thing while likely skirting the proficiency issue, and that the Shielding Blade enchantment does say "gain" in place of "increase" (though it doesn't apply the bonus to Ref).

A 435

1) Neither Shaman or Clerics have native Tome proficiency, but there are of course myriad ways to gain it with feats, themes, and probably backgrounds (though I can only think of ones that grant weapon proficiency right now.) Unlike weapons, you simply cannot make use of an implement without proficiency.

2 & 3) As Shamgar says it is completely unrelated to the using or even the ability to use Tomes. An oversight perhaps (as likely is the interaction with Spirit Companions, Mage Hand in general and the Prison specifically but it's all RAW-legal.)
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-03-11 at 06:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A434 Although RAW is ambiguous, general consensus on the forums is that rhythm blade increases your shield bonus and does nothing if you don't actually have a shield bonus. Without shield proficiency, shields don't give a shield bonus.
    What if you have Battle Cleric's Lore?

27. - Top - End - #1077

EDIT

Scratch all that. I misread something.
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2014-03-11 at 10:14 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    What if you have Battle Cleric's Lore?
    Then you have a shield bonus to AC (but not to reflex) and the Rhythm Blade increases that by +1, yes.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q436

A monster is prone, dazed, and restrained while partially over a pit (Large monster, half over).
    Since it's over the pit, it has to either move or squeeze to avoid falling into it.
    He can't move, since he's prone and restrained.
    That leaves squeezing, which takes a move action but requires no actual movement (thus isn't prevented by being restrained).
    Restrained says "The creature can’t move, unless it teleports. It can’t even be pulled, pushed, or slid."

1) Does restrained prevent it from falling into the pit?
    2) If restrained does, does it need to spend a move to squeeze?

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

A436: I would say "yes" to both, but convoluted scenarios like this one are probably best left to DM adjudication. For example, it might depend on what's restraining it and how much they each weigh.

Powers &8^]