New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

A 460 addendum Also, please note the Errata to Flame Spiral that limits the Effect damage to once per turn, as of the December 2011 errata.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q461 Do traps benefit from concealement? If the players walk into a pitch dark room do they get a -5 to spot the traps?
    #YOLO DnD style

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrUberGr View Post
    Q461 Do traps benefit from concealement? If the players walk into a pitch dark room do they get a -5 to spot the traps?
    Those are two separate questions.

Do traps benefit from concealment? Yes. If you have difficulty seeing the trap, you will have difficulty hitting it.

If the players walk into a pitch dark room, do they get a -5 to spot the traps? There are 2 answers to this question: the RAW and the practical.
    RAW: When the thing you are trying to perceive is "Well obscured", use the Hard DC for the Perception check. (p. 151 of the Rules Compendium for the rule; p. 126 for the chart with the DCs on it.)
    Practical: Players /will/ use sun rods. Simply saying, "Its dark; you spring a trap" is only going to cause an uproar. As soon as you say its dark, they are almost assuredly going to pull out a sun rod.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As they did as soon as they entered the dungeon. This is what I figured. Each trap has a DC and I'd just make it a bit harder. Not that I had to.
    #YOLO DnD style

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q462

When making a weapon attack with a frost weapon, and you're using a power that does typed damaged, do you deal cold damage, or the type the power says?

Does the same go for implement attacks?
    Last edited by MrUberGr; 2014-06-08 at 05:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

A 462

Whether you're using an implement power or a weapon power, the damage type and damage keyword would be Cold ... and only Cold, not anything native to the power.

The change wouldn't apply to one of those racial or paragon-path powers that uses neither implement nor weapon.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #1207

A462

1) Cold damage exclusively, assuming it's set to deal cold damage, because of the language on Frost Weapon ("all damage"). This is true even if something else adds an additional kind of damage- the level 16 feature of Malec-Keth Janissary, for example, would be 1d4 Cold rather than whatever it was supposed to be. A number of the damage conversion weapons are phrased that way. There are others (Crusader's Mace, for example) that have different wording, and based on that it works differently. Note that a Frost Weapon will replace whatever elemental keywords were on it with Cold.

2) Yes, presuming you have a way of using some sort of Frost Weapon as an implement. Note also that a Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold can be attached to it and work fine on Implement attacks- you're still using the weapon to make the attack. As long as the phrasing is something like "with this weapon" or "using this weapon," it works just fine. The only time it would not work is if something specifically uses the phrase "weapon attack," since that requires the weapon keyword.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Q462

When making a weapon attack with a frost weapon, and you're using a power that does typed damaged, do you deal cold damage, or the type the power says?

Does the same go for implement attacks?
    Cold damage, and yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thanks to everyone for the answers
    #YOLO DnD style

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 463

As a Battlemind, if I have an enemy marked and they turn invisible and move, do I get to activate Blurred Step even though I don't see the movement? Same general question for Mind Spike, if an invisible enemy I have marked deals damage to a player, does it trigger Mind Spike?

11. - Top - End - #1211

A463

Yes to both. You always know where something is unless it's Hidden; even an invisible enemy makes sound, smells bad, etc. And even if it's Hidden, none of that matters for the powers you mentioned.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ettin in the Playground

Opportunity Actions require seeing the target to trigger, and do not trigger based off forced movement, shifting or teleporting.

Immediate Actions and Free Actions have no such restriction.

Hidden is a different condition than Invisible. Invisible makes it really easy to become Hidden -- move as part of an action, or take any move action, then at the end of the action make a Stealth check against every enemies passive perception. Each one you beat you become Hidden from.

Hidden means that they do not know where you are. Invisible does not -- you know where Invisible foes are.

To Hide, you must have full cover or concealment. Invisible grants full concealment. To stay Hidden you must maintain partial cover or concealment. If you attack, you lose also Hidden. The loss of Hidden always takes affect at the end of the action in which it occurred.

Now, full concealment grants some goodies -- no OAs from moving, CA against foes, ranged/melee attacks take a -5 penalty to hit. (Burst/Blast/Area powers do not). There are a few other benefits, but those are the big ones.

Now, for a Trigger to go off, arguably you have to be aware that the situation occurred. However, unless Hidden, you are aware that an Invisible creature walks to you or leaves.

It is important to realize the "end of the action" rule of Hidden applies to both gaining it an losing it. So simply going invisible, then moving & making a hide check, only works to some extent -- they know the square you ended your move at!

Hidden is a pretty awesome state to be in, so it is hard to reach and easy to fall out of. Invisible is easier to be in and stay in that Hidden, and if you grant full Hidden automatically to everyone Invisible, you massively upgrade the power of Invisible beyond that which the designers intended.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Opportunity Actions require seeing the target to trigger, and do not trigger based off forced movement, shifting or teleporting.

Immediate Actions and Free Actions have no such restriction.

Hidden is a different condition than Invisible. Invisible makes it really easy to become Hidden -- move as part of an action, or take any move action, then at the end of the action make a Stealth check against every enemies passive perception. Each one you beat you become Hidden from.

Hidden means that they do not know where you are. Invisible does not -- you know where Invisible foes are.

To Hide, you must have full cover or concealment. Invisible grants full concealment. To stay Hidden you must maintain partial cover or concealment. If you attack, you lose also Hidden. The loss of Hidden always takes affect at the end of the action in which it occurred.

Now, full concealment grants some goodies -- no OAs from moving, CA against foes, ranged/melee attacks take a -5 penalty to hit. (Burst/Blast/Area powers do not). There are a few other benefits, but those are the big ones.

Now, for a Trigger to go off, arguably you have to be aware that the situation occurred. However, unless Hidden, you are aware that an Invisible creature walks to you or leaves.

It is important to realize the "end of the action" rule of Hidden applies to both gaining it an losing it. So simply going invisible, then moving & making a hide check, only works to some extent -- they know the square you ended your move at!

Hidden is a pretty awesome state to be in, so it is hard to reach and easy to fall out of. Invisible is easier to be in and stay in that Hidden, and if you grant full Hidden automatically to everyone Invisible, you massively upgrade the power of Invisible beyond that which the designers intended.
    In the context of the game we were playing where this question arose, a monster became "invisible", but totally concealed from us (hidden, I guess, none of the party had any idea where the creature went; it was some sort of insubstantial ghost creature). We were informed that the monster had moved somewhere, but nobody in the party could tell where, we were only given the monster's range and told to take a guess.

In our case, nobody knew where the creature was, so Blurred Step would not have triggered when the creature moved (is my interpretation of your response correct)? It did not attack until it revealed itself, but the situation made me curious about "hidden" attacks in the future.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ettin in the Playground

What you experienced is pretty standard "DM upgrades invisible to invisible+hidden". You can either ask them to read "the rules of hidden club", or you could simply make a character (like a defender) who exploits invisibility.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

What you experienced is pretty standard "DM upgrades invisible to invisible+hidden". You can either ask them to read "the rules of hidden club", or you could simply make a character (like a defender) who exploits invisibility.
    Battlemind with Evermeet Warlock is so annoying... Especially if you've got a high Stealth and a Staff of the Traveler.

Psionic Speed becomes NASTY if you can slap a slide into it.
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Pixie in the Playground

Gotcha (I think), the DM was correct to not allow my Blurred Step to trigger. I'm a bit new to 4e, so I had no idea there was a level beyond Invisible either...thanks for your input!

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    Battlemind with Evermeet Warlock is so annoying... Especially if you've got a high Stealth and a Staff of the Traveler.

Psionic Speed becomes NASTY if you can slap a slide into it.
    And three days later, GPuzzle posts his new build based on these two sentences.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    And three days later, GPuzzle posts his new build based on these two sentences.
    I ALREADY DID! *maniacally cackles*

Not here, on the WotC CharOP forums, but, still.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q464

Can you used forced movement to throw someone off something? For example, if a monster has slide 5, can it slide a player off the deck of the ship?
    #YOLO DnD style

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground

A 464

Yes, but they get a saving throw if forced movement puts them in difficult terrain or would make them fall. Succeed and they are prone at the square before the issue, fail and they go in/over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Since the ship has a rail on the edge would that be considered as hard terrain or should I give them a bonus to saving throws for falling over?
    #YOLO DnD style

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

Since the ship has a rail on the edge would that be considered as hard terrain or should I give them a bonus to saving throws for falling over?
    No RAW answer to that. Make it whichever you feel is better for the game. I'd say the bonus-to-saves is more interesting, but only you know what you and your players want from the game.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    A 464

Yes, but they get a saving throw if forced movement puts them in difficult terrain .
    I believe the saving throw only occurs if it is harmful terrain (e.g. lava), not just difficult. Indeed, forced movment ignores difficult terrain - you can push someone deep into bushes.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well the sea can be REALLY harmfull when you're in plate and carrying a heavy shield. One has 0 athletics, and the other maybe a 3.

PS. Maybe you could head over to my DM thread, and help me out a bit. Not sure how to run an encounter between four people on a boat and a kraken. Hope I'm not imposing
    Last edited by MrUberGr; 2014-06-14 at 10:01 AM.
    #YOLO DnD style

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I believe the saving throw only occurs if it is harmful terrain (e.g. lava), not just difficult. Indeed, forced movment ignores difficult terrain - you can push someone deep into bushes.

Grey Wolf

This. You don't gave a saving throw for being forced into /difficult/ terrain. You only get one if you are being dumped into /harmful/ terrain.

Also, you get one to avoid being pushed off cliffs and boats and the like.

Its not RAW, but I've seen modules where the players are fighting on a boat. When there's a railing, they've always given out a +5 to the saving throw to avoid being forced overboard.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q#465 How many uses of utility powers do you get per day/encounter?
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    Depends. Every utility is different. Some are At-Will, so you can use them every turn/round. Some are Encounter, so you can only use them once per Encounter. Some are Daily and you can only use them once per day. For example, the Fighter's Pass Forward Utility is a Level 2 At-Will Utility, the Rogue's Tumble is a Level 2 Encounter Utility, and the Ranger's Begin the Hunt is a Level 2 Daily Utility.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    (addendum, since this seems to confuse some people) If you have, for example, three per-encounter utility powers, then you can use each of them in every encounter. If you have four daily utility powers, then you can use all of those in every day (not just one of them).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q#466 I notice in the players handbook that some weapons (for example axes) "benefit from a high constitution score" is that just a recommendation, or do they gain an actual bonus?
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ogre in the Playground

Feats from Axes require Constitution. The Mastery feats gives it a good example of their necessity of Constitution/Dexteritry, but Polearms (which mix two weapons) use Wisdom.

List of Weapon Groups and Stats:

Axe, Picks, Maces, Hammers, Staffs: Constitution

Heavy Blades, Light Blades, Flails, Spears: Dexteritry

Polearms: Wisdom