New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread II: Electric Boogaloo

Q527
    "Wall of Fire blocks line of sight."

Example: A [B] C where B is standing in a Wall, getting crispy, and A and C are not in the Wall.

A certainly can't see C; but can he see B, and can B see A?
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

A 528

Line of sight is blocked both for B-->A and A-->B. It's defined as "a clear line from one point to another point in an encounter that doesn’t pass through or touch an object or an effect—such as a stone wall, a thick curtain, or a cloud of fog—that blocks the vision of the viewer." Emphasis mine, of course.

I didn't know the answer to that, so ... learn something new every day!
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

Q 528

Which classes/subclasses don't have hybrid versions?

Edit: I've got Berzerker, Skald, Warpriest, Bladesinger, Elementalist, Slayer, Thief, Scout, and Hexblade. Am I missing any?

Missed: Hunter, Knight
    Last edited by Tegu8788; 2015-06-16 at 05:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Bugbear in the Playground

A528:

In addition to what you mentioned-
    Knight
    Hunter

Also, Templar is the original cleric class- Cleric (Templar)- and obviously does have a hybrid form. The Essentials version is Cleric (Warpriest), and they don't have hybrid versions.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 529
    Regarding death and dying (PH1 p.295):

If a character is dying and the encounter ends, does the character need to keep rolling death saving throws until healed/stabilized? Or does the end of the encounter mean that a short rest is immediately started, and that the character therefore no longer risks death - ie. the character is stabilized? Because the wording is "If you get this result three times before you take a rest, you die", which could be interpreted to mean that rests cancel the "dying" condition.
    Last edited by YeOldeGrandma; 2015-06-16 at 06:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

A 529 A character can also be stabilized by healing powers if there are any left, or by heal checks made by his teammates. The DC on that is low enough that practically speaking, as soon as the last enemy drops or flees, any dying character will be stabilized within one round.

That said, the rules don't specify. Personally I would keep players rolling saves until they make it, yes.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    A 529 A character can also be stabilized by healing powers if there are any left, or by heal checks made by his teammates. The DC on that is low enough that practically speaking, as soon as the last enemy drops or flees, any dying character will be stabilized within one round.

That said, the rules don't specify. Personally I would keep players rolling saves until they make it, yes.
    Q 529b
    And, just so I'm crystal clear on this, healing powers (and encounter powers) such as Healing/Inspiring/Majestic Word don't recharge until after the short rest, yes?

Would you keep the encounter going as long as death saving throws have to be made, even if all enemies are gone? That seems to be the easiest option, since the saving throws are made "each round".
    Last edited by YeOldeGrandma; 2015-06-17 at 06:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeGrandma View Post
    And, just so I'm crystal clear on this, healing powers (and encounter powers) such as Healing/Inspiring/Majestic Word don't recharge until after the short rest, yes?
    A529b Correct.

Would you keep the encounter going as long as death saving throws have to be made, even if all enemies are gone? That seems to be the easiest option, since the saving throws are made "each round".
    Yes, I would.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 529 ...heal checks made by his teammates. The DC on that is low enough that practically speaking, as soon as the last enemy drops or flees, any dying character will be stabilized within one round.
    Q 529c
    Should "take 10" ben allowed in this situation (assuming all enemies are gone)? I'd say no, since you can't be in a rush when doing it (and the dying character risks death every 6 seconds after all). But I want someone else's opinion as well, since one of my players has his character literally one saving throw away from death when our next session starts.
    Last edited by YeOldeGrandma; 2015-06-17 at 06:20 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone should be told that the character is dieing as you start your next game.

In theory, everyone should rush over and try a heal check. Even someone completely untrained has a ~50% chance of pulling it off.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeGrandma View Post
    Q 529c
    Should "take 10" ben allowed in this situation (assuming all enemies are gone)?
    Nope, can't take ten in stressful situations.

Are you seriously telling me nobody in the group has a healing word left, or a potion? Because those would be an automatic success. Also, PHB rules or RulCom rules? Because by the PHB1 rules, assisting is DC 10 for a free +2 (whereas by RulCom rules it's more risky).

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nope, can't take ten in stressful situations.

Are you seriously telling me nobody in the group has a healing word left, or a potion? Because those would be an automatic success. Also, PHB rules or RulCom rules? Because by the PHB1 rules, assisting is DC 10 for a free +2 (whereas by RulCom rules it's more risky).
    They have a potion, so they will be fine. I asked primarily so that I'd know for a potential future scenario, where they have no potion, healing word etc.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Q 530

Is there text somewhere that disallows or specifically allows using one (unenchanted) shield in each hand?

Here's what little I can come up with myself. The entry for spiked shields explicitly says you may not use two shields, while the Dark Sun equivalent called a tortoise blade has no such text. The entire paragon path Snapping Testudo presumes that you do use two shields at once. I remember reading somewhere -- but now can't find where -- that you may not strap a shield to one arm and hold another shield in that hand. (More's the pity -- then you could get four shields and a gauntlet-axe going all at the same time.) Likewise, I can't remember where I read that if you use two shields at once, you only get the bonus for one of them, as normal for typed bonuses.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 531

My understanding is that area attacks are actually volume attacks--a burst 3 would hit three squares up as well. Can effects be cast just as a plane? If I'm flying at altitude 1 and cast a (party unfriendly) burst to hit a target on the ground below me, am I going to end up hitting myself too? Let's say my hellhound is attacking an area that includes me, but I'm at altitude 1; can it cast its Close Blast to only cover ground level, avoiding me?
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

A531 No, although you could target the spell at ground level so that it only hits two squares above the ground (and one square below ground, which is outside of line of effect). Note also that altitude limits apply only at the end of your turn.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Q 531

My understanding is that area attacks are actually volume attacks--a burst 3 would hit three squares up as well. Can effects be cast just as a plane? If I'm flying at altitude 1 and cast a (party unfriendly) burst to hit a target on the ground below me, am I going to end up hitting myself too? Let's say my hellhound is attacking an area that includes me, but I'm at altitude 1; can it cast its Close Blast to only cover ground level, avoiding me?
    A 531 A Blast emanates from the caster. A Burst emanates from the center square.

For a Burst, you pick a center square, and everything else happens "automatically". There are no squares that you have LOS to, are within 1 square of your target, that have LOS to your target, and do not have LOS to you. (the ground is "blocking terrain").

For a Blast, if it is a close power the origin square is fixed, but they can pick a "direction". While the examples all presume planes, there is little reason this cannot be chosen to aim it "slanted down" or "slanted up", either missing things flying above, or hitting things flying at up to altitude 2.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    Q 531

Also note:

I don't have the rules on me atm, but a close attack will /never/ hit you. It's part of the rules for the "close" keyword that it will never hit the caster. Even if you take Arcane Reach, throw the blast/burst, and are solidly within its radius ... you are unaffected.

I'll leave it for someone else to quote the relevant rule. Or you can look up the close keyword in the Rules Compendium.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

Q531
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Also note:

I don't have the rules on me atm, but a close attack will /never/ hit you. It's part of the rules for the "close" keyword that it will never hit the caster. Even if you take Arcane Reach, throw the blast/burst, and are solidly within its radius ... you are unaffected.

I'll leave it for someone else to quote the relevant rule. Or you can look up the close keyword in the Rules Compendium.
    I don't think that's quite correct; at least, I don't see that in PHB p 271-272 or in the online Compendium.

I think you mean Bursts: "Unless a power description notes otherwise, a close burst you create does not affect you. However, an area burst you create does affect you"; however, what it says for Blasts is that a Blast (close or otherwise) doesn't affect the origin square. If I'm casting through my Hellhound and standing in an adjacent square, I could be in the blast's area and would be affected. (Unless I fly over it, which is what I'm planning).
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2015-07-07 at 01:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

Q532

The medium size monster is Prone on the ground. I fly over him at Altitude 1. Does he get to take an Opportunity Attack?

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ettin in the Playground

A 532 Yes.

Being prone does not change your melee reach. Attacks are at a -2 penalty, but there isn't anything preventing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

A532

Yes, but he will be taking the penalty for attacking from prone.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

Q533

As a pyromancer mage, "your attacks ignore fire resistance".
    According to the Compendium, an "attack" does not necessarily have an attack roll--Magic Missile is given as an example.

a, My close/area attacks leave zones that do fire damage for whoever ends their turn in them. Is that an "attack"?

b. How about when someone swings at me and Fire Shield damages them?

c. With Fiery Blood, adjacent enemies take fire damage when I do. (That's a Feat, not a Power, so I'm guessing this one is "not an attack power").
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2015-07-15 at 04:29 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

A533
    (a,b) according to rulcom, any power that damages enemies is an attack, therefore both the zone and Fire Shield qualify.
    (c) correct, this is not a power and therefore not an attack.

24. - Top - End - #1434

Q534

If a feat grants a bonus without specifying the type, is it a feat or untyped bonus? For instance, Fighter Weapon Specialization grants "a +1 bonus to damage rolls when you hit with an attack using a weapon of the style you chose for the Fighter Weapon Talent class feature." What kind of bonus is that?
    Contest Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ayesha: Gold, Junkyard Wars I
    The Last Warder: Silver, Junkyard Wars IV
    Princess Pufflebutt: Silver, Junkyard Wars VII
    Gren Beastclaws: Silver, Junkyard Wars VIII
    Mother Halfbreed: Silver, Iron Chef Home Cooking I

Vathoa Frostspeaker Kualavoaka: Gold, Junkyard Wars IX
    Sanna Blackfish: Bronze, Villainous Competition II
    Annabelle: Gold, Villainous Competition IV
    Nulara of the Evil Eye: Gold, Villainous Competition IX

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ogre in the Playground

A534

Untyped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ettin in the Playground

A534 Untyped. Untyped bonuses do not stack from the same "named game element": so, in effect, that is a +1 bonus of type "Fighter Weapon Specialization", as the named game element that gives the bonus is "Fighter Weapon Specialization".

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q535 Line of Effect is described in PH1 as an unblocked path without a solid obstacle. Line of effect is, as I understand it, required for basically every D&D-power, from a normal attack to Healing Word etc.

Do you think the rules should be applied this way? I had a discussion with one of my (wizard) players today, who thought it silly that his Scorching Burst could not be targeted at a square behind a window. As I understood it he meant that the burst originated on the other side of the window, and thus did not need to pass through the obstacle at all. It got me thinking, because for Healing Word the same thing should apply - it does seem a bit silly that you can't heal someone on the other side of a window.

Also, one could argue that a magic missile/arrow/melee attack simply smashes the window on its way to the target. This argument is particularly strong if one considers a charge attack (should you be allowed to charge through a window?).

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ettin in the Playground

A 535
    This is not a RAW question. As you noted, by RAW unless otherwise specified an ability requires LoE. If you want to discuss it further, I'd recommend starting a thread to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

Q536 Can Fanatic Charge (Zealous Demagogue E11) be recharged via Divine Mastery?
    Last edited by GPuzzle; 2015-08-19 at 06:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1440

Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    Q536 Can Fanatic Charge (Zealous Demagogue E11) be recharged via Divine Mastery?
    It's not a divine encounter power, so no.