New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

Isaac will let his companions venture forth first, before proceeding onwards behind them. He pushes his glasses up onto his nose, before casting his gaze at the details of the church; his homeland had been known for its great cathedrals at one time...but the modern era had slowly stripped away reverence, and replaced it with consumerism and addiction. Even though Isaac was not a religious man, a bit of regret eats at him.

"Act with restraint, friends. Inside we may find the purveyor of this malady, but the dead can tell us nothing of a cure."

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

Little has changed inside the church since August came last save that the votive candles have burnt down, and the only light comes from the dingy stained glass windows. Nothing stirs but motes of dust.

Spoiler
    Show
    To recap what the main floor of the church looks like, the main door opens to a hallway about twenty feet long with a door on either side (both are shut at the moment. At the end of the hall are three rows of pews, and at the far end of the church is the altar.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Naturally moving to the left-hand door without a moment of hesitation, August nods for someone to check the other before opening this one as well.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #484

Griffon

T'riss moves quietly toward the right hand door.

Before opening it, she presses her ear to the wood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen
    (1d20+11)[29]

If she hears nothing, she'll open carefully a small crack a peer in...
    spot
    (1d20+11)[12]

darkvision 120ft
    +4 to both rolls if undead in the area

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Both rooms are apparently empty. On the left are living quarters, sparsely furnished. The bed is raised off the floor, but made merely of straw with a blanket thrown over it, and a table with a few unwashed pewter dishes stands in the corner.

The door on the right leads to storage. Candles and various ritual objects sit on shelves. There is also a ladder leading into a basement. You can't quite see where it leads for the mist that has lain so thickly across the town penetrates even below the church's foundation.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to explore below, you'll either have to leave Drifa behind or expand either the hole in the floor of the church's main room or where the ladder is and then have her jump down. They're too small as is. You can also poke around for other entrances to a basement or for other hidden spaces.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

"Aswin, can Drifa keep watch o'er the church while we venture within? There are two entrances to the basement, and I wish not to have the ones we seek slip past us while we try one or the other." August keeps his voice low, but ventures forward to the hole in the church floor to peer within.

"Or we could simply divide our numbers and investigate both entrances at once. In these narrow passages, it may be as much an advantage as a hindrance."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

"If it serves our purpose she can stay behind, but as you surely noticed she is a fierce fighter in battle and we might have need of her", Aswin points out. Unfortunately I can only summon her once per day, otherwise this obstacle would be easy enough to bypass. But perhaps the wise elder's powers can help us here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    long as it is a single narrow passage and not the entire underground corridors a Transposition should do the trick
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"If we were to split we would be more easily over powered." Arya observed, "But an attack from two sides might catch them off guard. We might be strong enough to break them from both sides, or at least we won't all be taken out by one trap."

Spoiler
    Show
    If the others actually think that splitting is a good idea Arya will lead one group, but if that was just a reason to leave Drifa behind then she's fine to fight with the party as normal.

9. - Top - End - #489

Kobold

Isaac nods. "Quite. I can make use of my powers to bring the beast in with us, but I fret that it will resist me. Try to soothe it, and, once we are inside, I will see what I can do to bring the creature with us."

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

"The matter of the entrances concerns me more; we seek answers, and we must not let them slip away. Unless this basement space is much greater in size than it seems, we should be able to meet each other soon, once we see which direction we must go. Let Aswin, Isaac and Drifa take the ladder, here, and I shall investigate the hole in the main floor with Arya and Arthros. Lady T'rissaste may accompany whichever group she wishes, of course."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

11. - Top - End - #491

Griffon

T'riss looks from one group to the other.

I will go with Aswin and the others, she says finally.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I just picked one. No real purpose to her choice here. :)

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

"Methinks I will attend with Sir Aswin and Lord Isaac," adds Ashlyn. "I fear that with my armor any attempt to climb without a latter might prove disastrous."

The hole in the middle of the church floor is indeed devoid of a ladder or any other means of descent, though T'riss notices that the pews are bolted to the floor and a rope tied to them would likely stay fast.

13. - Top - End - #493

Griffon

T'riss reaches into her pack and quickly ties a rope. Tossing it down the hole,

I'll go first, she says. My eyes can see in the dark. If there is aught below, I will shout up.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC, she'll climb down, looking quickly for signs of enemies.

(1d20+4)[10] use rope
    (1d20+0)[11] climb

(1d20+11)[17] spot
    (1d20+0)[1] listen

+4 to the spot & listen if undead in the area.
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-08-26 at 09:17 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

"Worry not, I am night-sighted myself." August follows T'riss down the rope, watching as much for the layout of the area as any potential threats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+16)[20]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

August and T'riss drop a little more than a story before they near the floor of the church's basement. The air is musty and thick with the fog that seems to plague the town, and it is difficult to see even with their enhanced vision. There is, however, a figure to their front and to their left.

Spoiler
    Show
    You spotted them before you touched the bottom of the basement, which is strewn with rubble, so they may not have seen you, but from the looks of it if you drop to the rubble you'll almost certainly be heard.

Also, everybody, my PC is in for repairs and I'm doing this on a friends, which means that for the next day or two I won't be able to make a map of the battle.

What is the other half of the party doing?

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Arya waits, crouched above the hole, waiting for the others to clear the rope.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's perfectly all right by me. Also see my sig for days I'll be unavailable. Apologies, but just assume Arya hits things.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't worry elder, Drifa won't resist your powers. I'll go first, secure the landing." He slung the shield over his back to free up his hands and descended the ladder. Once down, he again readied shield and hammer. "All clear, you can come down."

Spoiler
    Show
    so, Aswin first, then Isaac, transport Drifa, then Ashlyn?
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

18. - Top - End - #498

Kobold

Isaac follows the bulky warrior down the ladder...though that in itself is a trial is a bum leg. Cane is handed to their native paladin compatriot:

"Aidez-moi, s'il vous plait. I usually have the undergrads doing the running around."

And down he goes, slowly but surely making his way to the bottom, before bringing down the wolf. Gesture is made, common to the spell that switched the caster with him earlier when sieging the house, though this time pointing to Aswin and Drifa, switching the places of the pair.

"If you think I'm climbing around on that bloody thing again, you've got another thing coming." Chides the professor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifest Power: Transposition
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cost: 1 pp, Psionic Focus
    Augments: Psionic Endowment
    Target: Aswin, Drifa
    Effect: Aswin and Drifa switch places (DC 21 Will on either negates).

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Suddenly Aswin was transported up again, Drifa down below in his place. "You could have told me, then I wouldn't have bothered with the shield again", he retorted playfully with a wide grin. Once again removing the shield, he took the ladder for a second time.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Unable to take the initiative with any grace, dangling from a rope above T'rissaste's head as he is, August waits silently to see what decision she will make.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #501

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: Sorry Sallera)

Seeing that there is someone in the room, T'riss tries to motion to August that there is someone below then continues her drop as silently as possible, drawing her sickle as soon as she reaches the bottom.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC2

move silently
    (1d20+8)[14]

climb
    (1d20+0)[1]

spot
    [roll]1d20 +11[/roll]

+4 to the spot if the body is undead.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC3
    Remind me I need to teach the rest of the party the Drow Sign Language. :)

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

In response to T'rissaste's signal, August holds up two fingers and points toward the far corner. As she advances on the figure, August drops down behind her, unable to support himself on the rope for too long. He does not yet draw his blade, sidestepping to get around the shrouded one should it prove hostile, and keeping all three potential enemies in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+9)[15]
    MS: (1d20)[7]

That would certainly be useful.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-08-30 at 11:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

T'riss suddenly slips and falls among the rubble, creating such a clatter that even Aswin, Isaac, and Ashlyn can hear it—certainly the creatures she saw through the mist did. "Are you alright down there?" Arthros asks as he begins to shin down the rope.

The lady knight tosses Isaac's cane to him and then follows down the ladder.

Spoiler
    Show
    I still don't have my computer back. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry Sallera, but you don't have time to do that before initiative is rolled; they're aware of you now.

Initiative Table
    {table=head]Character|Initiative
    Arya|(1d20+5)[24]
    T'riss|(1d20+11)[17]
    Isaac|(1d20+1)[4]
    Aswin|(1d20)[11]
    August|(1d20+2)[11]
    Arthros|(1d20+5)[18]
    Baddies|[roll]1d20+n[/roll][/table]

Edit: Blegh. No more posting before coffee. I used an external dice roller; they got 6.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-08-30 at 11:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Drawing a sunrod, Aswin tapped it against the wall to increase their field of vision. "That was a bit louder than I expect from anyone but Lady Ashlyn and myself. No offense. Drifa, lead."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm wholly unsure as to what we actually see. Is there more than one way to go?
    I assume the corridor is too small for riding.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

There is a momentary pregnant silence before the creatures August and T'riss saw attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Finally I have a computer that will run Photoshop. The pillars you see are supports. They don't interfere with movement for anyone except Drifa, but she can move around them just fine. There's a surprise round for August and T'riss and a few of the baddies.

The mist is particularly bad in this fight. Anything >5' out (not adjacent) has concealment (20% miss chance). Anything >20' out has total concealment.

Arya and Arthros are still up on the main floor. They can jump down, but it's a good 15-20 feet. August is still about 5' from the floor; a successful DC 10 Jump check will let him drop down and recover as a free action. Failure means he falls prone. He can also climb down, but that's a move action.

Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-09-03 at 01:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Dropping down from the rope as the creatures' hostile intent becomes apparent, August slips on a loose board, one end of it tilting up and pitching him onto the floor. Bouncing off his shield, he manages to roll off the rubble and rise to his feet, his bark-tough skin undamaged and only a faint look of embarrassment on his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drop to F3, stand and 5ft step to G4.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing a faint outline in the mist accompanied by unpleasant smell, Drifa went into the corner of the room to attack the creature. Aswin followed the loud clambering sound, and rounding the corner he ran into a zombie and swiftly swung his glowing hammer at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    What kind of creature is a G supposed to be?

Drifa moves to M2/N3
    attack - (1d20+14)[25] damage - (1d8+12)[16] trip if hit - (1d20+12)[22]

Aswin moves to J2, smites, PA 2
    attack - (1d20+14)[16] damage - (2d6+14)[23] trip if hit - (1d20+14)[24]

28. - Top - End - #508

Griffon

"Bah." T'riss spits out. "Well, they know we're here now."

T'riss moves toward the closest shape hoping to get a better look. As she does, she loads one of the Knight's arrows into her crossbow.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay. moving to G1, assuming creature is a zombie and T'riss can confirm that when she gets w/in 5 ft.

Loading crossbow as part of move action.

Attacks if zombie

(1d20+9)[12]
    (1d4+5)[6] (including +4 dmg for favored enemy)
    (1d6)[5] arrow bonus
    (2d6)[7] skirmish dmg
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-09-04 at 06:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

As she moves forward, T'riss gets a clear view of her enemy, along with one of its fellows. They are indeed zombies, and unlike the others you've seen, these are dressed in armor. She fires off a bolt at one of them, but it misses and clatters harmlessly to the ground.

Just as she releases the bolt, she senses something rushing behind her. Another walking corpse, this one decayed to such a degree that only the skeleton and bits of flesh remain, rushes toward her with its skeletal fingers splayed out to slash into the drow.

Meanwhile, August hears a low moan and gurgling sound to the back of the room. A hulking figure with a hunched back appears in the swirling mist, though it appears to have only just noticed August. August is then attacked in much the same way as T'riss, but the creature charging him is different. Its skin seems stretched across its bones and its lips are curled back to reveal horrible protruding canines. Its skin is black, as if it had been tanned and died, and its fingers end in sharp claws. It lunges at August, trying to sink its teeth into him.

Spoiler
    Show

G1: Partial charge August (end at F4)
    Attack: (1d20+9)[10] Well aren't you a lucky duck.
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8] plus DC 15 disease plus Fort DC 15 paralysis for (1d4+1)[4] rounds.
    S1: Partial charge T'riss (end at F1)
    Attack: (1d20+12)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+6)[11] plus DC 13 disease

The Gs are ghasts. B you don't have a good enough view of to identify.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2012-09-05 at 06:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Stepping back from the black-skinned shade as its claws flail through the air, August clutches the bone raven, his other hand gaining a palpable sense of malice as absences and dissolution swirl around its surface, never quite touching the skin. As he casts his arm outward, the barely-visible substance lashes toward the shade, turning to dust what it strikes.

Spoiler
    Show
    5ft step to H3, Extended Reach Maximized Umbral Touch on G1.
    Ranged touch: (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: 30

Oh, and what are the lighting conditions like at the moment? Not that it matters for August, but it'd be nice if his opponents had to roll for concealment. :3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei