New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

Perhaps it is not only her brother but everyone native to the town? We five are not and neither was Komori I believe. Perhaps it is because we are not from here that give Ireena the ability to speak of this to us?

T'riss curls up on the chair, tucking her feet under her.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: From Across the Multiverse to Barovia: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (IC)

Anann relays Ireena's message to everyone. <"Count Strahd wants me. He came for me one night and my father repelled him with the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind. The next night my father fell ill and in a few days was dead. Then we noticed that the symbol was taken.">

"<Every night without it I've had horrible nightmares of Strahd chasing me, calling me Tatyana. They end with me falling and I wake up sweating. And more. If I could pull my collar down, you'd see bite marks there. Sir Aswin said they meant Strahd is a Draugr that drinks blood, and Elder Isaac called him a vampire.">

<Those are her exact words. I do not know what 'vampires' or 'draugr' are, but there are a number of creatures and legends from my homeland that deal with blood-drinkers.>
    Last edited by Lateral; 2013-06-10 at 05:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Aswin rubbed his temples, trying to stave off a developing headache. "So Anann speaks in my head but the words are Ireena's, and she in turn relays what I said previously when she told us of this the first time... This is getting really confusing. I guess it's too much to hope, but worth a try. Ismark, please repeat what you just heard. Mayhaps if you already know the binding on her tongue will be removed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Ismark has been looking wide-eyed and slack-jawed in horror at his sister since he received Annan's missive. "Uh... I can't remember the exact words, but she said that when Strahd came to our house he was after you, and that since then you've dreamed of him chasing you, and of falling, and that he's bitten you and Aswin thinks he drank your blood. Is that all right?"

Ireena nods. "I... he... dammit! Yes, that's what I wanted to say. I still can't say it, though."

Ismark rises and embraces his sister, sobbing. "Oh, Light, Ireena. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for fighting with you over father's burial and I'm sorry for being so angry when you left with them. Of course, if they think they can protect you from Strahd, you should go with them. Without the symbol I certainly can't."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

"You may have the right of it, Lady T'rissaste." August watches the scene thoughtfully. "Perhaps Strahd himself laid this spell, but was incautious in his wording. Many a clever curse has been undone by a slip of the tongue."

"But this would mean that Strahd will not expect our caution - and thus that we must be all the more watchful for him. 'He will find us many times,' perhaps, but we need not give him leave to accomplish his goals when he does so."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

"'Tis a merciful thing, if true," says Ashlyn. "Oft do those with power forget that they are themselves capable of mistakes. Indeed, I can think of no other reason for him to bind her in such a fashion.

"Since brother and sister are reconciled, it seems, we have but one remaining subject to ponder. Will any of ye yet remain with Sir Urik and me here in the village of Barovia?"
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

"We may need all of our strength to contest Lysaga. But if you will remain here, shall we return for you before venturing forth to the castle?"

August looks across at Ashlyn, his expression serious. "The blade is yours; so too should be the quest to restore it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

"I agree. This is your quest as well as ours, and the fates hang in the balance here. I do value your company, in battle and outside of it." It was hard for Aswin to put his feelings into words without it looking like romantic overture. His fondness of Ashlyn was not infatuation, but the connection to a like soul, a fellow champion striving to do good and protect no matter what. He lost his indomitable will for a moment when he looked upon the reflection of his own halflife and recoiled, but seeing there are still people like her and Arthros even in this dismal place squashed his gloom before it had chance to take root. He owed much to her, for in her he saw what he himself was and must not cease to be.
    "You fight for the people just as I. If you think you can ward off the darkness better here than with us I will trust your judgement. We shouldn't risk the village just because we don't want to miss your sword and company."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-06-11 at 07:15 PM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Ashyln must come with us, the pride does not abandon one of its own. And Ireena, too must come." Ismark on the other hand, well Arya would not oppose it, but the man made her skin crawl and her hair stand on end: she would not welcome him in their party.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Ashlyn raises her hands in a gesture for silence. "Did you so soon forget the words of Madam Eva?" she rebukes August and Arya. "We put an end to the blasphemy, she said, but that will not stop the plague. I was sore pressed to defend the town on mine own from the plague last time, and my sense is that Sir Urik would be as well. Better that at least the twain of us remain here.

"The sword is not mine, but an ancient sword of my order, and so long as you return it to me to bring to Richemulot, I have no qualms leaving it in your hands. And at the end, when you seek out the fell count, I will accompany you again. But at least until we learn the truth of the seeress's words I feel it my duty to remain."

"I'm sorry," Ismark asks with ashen face, "what did you say about the plague not being stopped? You didn't mean the walking dead, did you?"

"Yea, in mine interpretation of Madam Eva's words the undead will return and will not be stopped until the count lies truly dead."

Ismark falls back into his chair, uncorks his wine, and begins drinking straight from the bottle.

11. - Top - End - #1181

Griffon

T'riss frowns. "I cannot fault your reasoning... I still do not quite understand the seeress's words." She takes a deep breath, "While I understand your wish to guard the town, our quest must proceed apace...but are you sure Ireena will be safe with just you, Master Ismark and Sir Urik to protect her?"

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

August smiles carelessly. "Indeed, I did not mean that you should not remain and defend the townsfolk for now. As long as you will accompany us to the castle when the time comes, all is well."

"Ireena, you will continue to accompany us, yes? Tomorrow we shall depart to seek the Symbol."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

Ireena glances at her brother and then nods. "Yes, I will."

The rest of the evening is placid, with the exception of Ismark drinking himself into a stupor at the prospect of more walking dead. He finishes his wine and then moves on to applejack, which earns a raised eyebrow from Arik. Eventually Ireena helps him home, but returns to sleep in the inn, hoping that both the presence of such warriors and the displacement from her home might reduce the chance of Strahd finding her again.

The night likewise passes without interruption, and when you arise you find Ashlyn and Ireena already downstairs eating breakfast. Ashlyn's grief for her friends seems to have lifted somewhat and her eyes don't have the circles under them that you're used to, but Ireena seems not to have slept well and has an unhealthy pallor and bloodshot eyes.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2013-06-14 at 10:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1184

Kobold

Isaac rises wordlessly, to once again consult the Libre Blasphemum in a morning ritual that has become the norm. He shoots a glance of concern and Ireena, but says nothing; fitful sleep is hardly unusual in these time. Indeed, the old man seems to have accrued a few more wrinkles since his arrival in this noxious place.

He eats breakfast while reading, without complaint, spectacled gaze searching his companions. His dreams were not kind last night; visions of death and plague. For some, these might very well just be musings of the strained subconscious...but for Isaac, they could very well be premonitions of a future he sorely hoped would not come to pass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prescience Die for the Day: (1d20)[18], (1d20)[1], (1d20)[19]

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

Sleep came easy that night for Aswin. Despite many a bad news they had received the words of Madam Eva had given him what he needed. They already had their quest, and now they knew what had to be done to fulfill it and the first step was already accomplished. He dreamt of a massive hall covered in golden shields, the place he was denied, and when one of the many oaken doors swung open to admit him all he saw beyond was light, the light of the sun, the light they seeked to awaken in a weapon of power. Despite the brightness his eyes never flinched, the radiance providing comfort and healing instead of hurting him, and the light grew and grew until it consumed everything around it and Aswin slipped into deeper sleep.

In the morning he rose refreshed with new vigor, and he could feel in his body and mind a tenacity that wasn't there before. Maybe it was that for the first time he truly accepted the state he was in, The Man Who Should Be Dead. It was no state he was happy about, but it didn't breed gloom either. He still could help the people of a place that would be out of his reach once he entered Valhalla, and if need be he would just have to earn entrance into Odin's hall twice, an endeavour that sounded most worthy to him.

A sudden rumble in his stomach showed him that he felt like starving and he took a hearty breakfast, sizable even for his prodigious build. "So", he asked, taking a bite from a sausage. "Should we visit a blacksmith before departing? So he can take measure of the blade and fashion a hilt while we're gone."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-06-16 at 02:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1186

Kobold

Isaac picks his head up at Aswin's proclamation, a shadow flitting over his wizened gaze. He could see at once the bright and bold hero before him...and the torn and mutilated walking corpse he might become. "Admittedly, I have only historical knowledge of blacksmithing...but I think this task might be greater than it appears. You've seen the blade...it is unto a smooth shard of glass. How is a smithy to anchor a hilt to it? Especially with no access to the strong bonding agents of my time? Would it not just slip free for a normal metal handle, the first time it is swung in battle?" He shakes his head. "You're right, of course...we should consult an artisan, but I fret he will simply echo my concerns." Always the pessimist, Isaac.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Titan in the Playground

Ireena looks up from her porridge. "Sandu was killed by the zombies," she says distractedly. "His apprentice survived, though. He might be in the smithy, but I'm not sure. I can show you there if you want."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you do so want, Ireena finishes eating and leads you and Ashlyn to a mostly-undamaged building at the east end of the street you first entered Barovia on. A young man, barely seeming to have reached his majority, is busy at an anvil turning out buckets of nails for the rebuilding. He introduces himself as Ilië, and asks what you need.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2013-06-16 at 11:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, you worry too much elder. A hilt was fashioned before, and I don't think they had to use platin to prevent the blade from turning into an unconventional throwing weapon. Surely a new one can be made as well." His confidence took a slight hit when he learned of the local smith's demise, but still the apprentice might prove worthy of the task and blade. The hilt is just the bridge between the blade and its wielder, so maybe some flaws could be excused even on an exceptional weapon. "Greetings Ilië. I see you are determined to help with the rebuilding of the town, perhaps you wish to help in its protection as well, but it is a more difficult task than nails I'm afraid. We need a proper hilt for this blade here." He offered up the Sunsword for inspection, but refrained from introducing the weapon for now.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

Ilië blinks at the sword. "Ah, forgive me for asking, Sir Aswin, but why do you think I would be able to help? I could make a handle, but I have no idea how I'd attach it to glass. Have you tried talking to one of the Vistani glaziers? They're notorious cheats, but they can work with glass better than anyone."

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh? I confess I didn't know that. All I knew was the previous handle was indeed of metal, so trying a metalworker seemed reasonable enough."

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, for a work of art like that I guess the handle could have been gold or silver, and I suppose you might be able to attach those to glass," he speculates hesitantly. "But I've never worked with either, and don't know how. And it's possible that you could attach iron to glass, but I never learned. I'm sorry."

Spoiler
    Show
    Incidentally, it's obvious from the weight that it's not glass.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

As August lies in bed that night, he clutches at the rotting bone of the raven and gazes into the Shadow. The words from the road earlier - his own, most of all - had impressed themselves upon his mind, refusing to fade, and he had finally sufficient leisure to wonder why. It does not really exist because it is too many things at once. Perhaps... anything at all.

He had spent this whole week using a borrowed power he had not earned and did not understand. The Shadow was of the balance; this much was obvious from where he found it. But the void-that-was-not followed different rules from the true void. Its very existence could send him into agony just for looking upon it, were it not for the tokens Nicolae crafted. For that matter, that it allowed itself to be looked upon in the first place suggested a paradox. Why would it allow such a thing and then punish it? The true void had no will, of course, for it did not exist. Yet it did not allow things brought into the world from its power to linger. The void gets jealous when you allow it to know existence. It wants to take everything back to itself, but it can only take what belonged to it in the first place.

Perhaps the void-that-was-not, in its false existence, had forfeited its right to the potential for will. Its paradox was a chance occurrence, or the way it had always been. Was it what one created of it? Was it what one felt it should be like? What else could it be? If he continued looking at it through the lens of the tricks he had brought from his own world... then he would never find out. Reaching out his other hand toward the ceiling, he plunges it into the depths of the Shadow. He seeks not to take, this time, but merely leaves it there, searching, sounding, until sleep claims him.

Morning finds him refreshed, half-formed realizations and shadows of ideas floating around the edges of his mind, but the slight distraction this brings does not prevent him from noticing Ireena's condition. "Do your dreams remain troubling, Ireena?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wibbly wobbly timey wimey. Okay, until timelines converge, the two get their own bolded headers. Please do the same.

Blood and Vine

Ireena looks up from her porridge and frowns. "Yes," she says, "but not in the same way. I dreamt of Worgs, those great and cruel wolves I told you about earlier. I was riding on horseback and they chased me along a road until it passed into the forest, until a man stopped me with an outstretched arm. I tried to ride past him but my horse refused, and I couldn't dismount. I woke just as the worgs tore me from the saddle. Eventually I returned to sleep, but the same nightmare rode me again and again until morning."

24. - Top - End - #1194

Griffon

Blood and Vine

T'riss having spent the night sleeping as well as can be, rises, bathes and dresses. Gathering her gear once again, she pats her crossbow and rapier reassuringly and heads to the main dining room for breakfast.

T'riss joins the table just in time to hear Ireena speak of her dreams.

She frowns. "If I was to hazard a guess, I suspect this man in your dreams would be the Count. But it does not portend well that he would allow the wolves to attack you if he seeks you for himself?" Perhaps he seeks to drive you to him?

25. - Top - End - #1195

Kobold

The Smithy

"Well, forgive an old man his doubts, but in my laboratory we often need glass chambers. They're made by using molten glass to soften the metal, and cause it to muddle into a seam of sorts. I'm afraid, however, that such a process would destroy the magic of this blade. Indeed, such a process might not even be possible; as Vesper mentioned earlier, this material resembles transparent aluminium more than glass. A sort of see-through metal composite."

He frowns at the hilt, looking from Aswin to Ilie. "Perhaps the Vistani would be the best to consult. I think that, perhaps, some bit of magic could be used to secure hilt to blade."

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

Blood of the Vine

"It's possible," Ireena says doubtfully. "Though none of my dreams have been prophetic before. I suppose it could just be from Madam Eva's prophesy that Strahd will 'consume me until death is all that remains.' I knew I didn't want to go to him, but that chilled me."

The Smithy

Ilië raises his eyebrows. "I've never heard of a metal you can see through. Can I feel it?" He takes the blade from Aswin and judges its weight. "It sure seems to be heavier than glass. I could certainly see if I could work it like metal, but if you think the fire might hurt the magics, well, I wouldn't want to try it."

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Blood and Vine

Arya was not concerned for the human girl, or for her dreams: she had showed no talent for magery, and only the most learned elders could pierce the veil of the future, and only with the right smokes and spells. That this girl's dreams portended disaster Arya did not think much of, though she was certain disaster would find them soon enough.

Still, they knew that Strahd had a leash on her and it would be unsettling if he truly had visited her in the night. "Your neck, girl. Is it unmarked?"
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Titan in the Playground

Blood of the Vine

Ireena seems startled by Arya's abruptness, and Ashlyn glares at her. "Ah, n-no," she stammers after a moment. "At least, no more than before I went to bed."
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2013-06-18 at 08:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Titan in the Playground

Blood of the Vine

August smiles gently. "We have little to worry about on that front, as long as we keep to our path. Did you have any such dreams during our nights in the forest?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

Blood of the Vine

Ireena shakes her head. "No, at least not the same ones. I've had nightmares for most of the last week, since Komori first ran into the forest, but this is the first one I remembered. Before I just woke with a feeling of utter fear and then fell back asleep."